Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:11:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More terrible book covers

Started by Captain Crunch, October 09, 2017, 06:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 17, 2020, 01:50:25 PM
Apart from the 'Men At Arms' type, that's a brilliant cover. Certainly a hundred times better than the crusty rubbish that's normally on his shit books.

Yeah, I thought twice about posting it to this particular thread. It's not in the same league as the other things here (that Three Men in a Boat one still cracks me up). I just see it as a spectacular downgrade of the Josh Kirby original; a bit nothingy, juvenile, clearly done on a computer, evocative of Scandinavian design when the voice of the book isn't like that. I think I just see the decision to redo the original (which was a work of genuine culture, rich with detail, in league with the author, and apt to the book's content) as a bit philistine and cynical.

samadriel

Mr Farenheit

The covers from author/football manager/rennaisance man Steve Bruce's soccer crime fiction books are fantastic.

Alberon

This one is not technically a bad cover, but it reminds me so much of Syd and Eddie (and indeed it was on the Little and Large thread here that I first saw it) that it becomes very distracting.

I mean, it really does look like both of them. The 50th anniversary of the Hobbit was in 1987, so I like to believe the artist based it on them.

But if you want a genuinely bad Hobbit cover then there's this foreign language edition to enjoy.

Phil_A

Found this while browsing the absolute depths of budget book publishers online (going below the 5 quid price range really is Here Be Dragons territory, the well of cheap crap is utterly bottomless).

Also doesn't Anderson Prunty like the name of a Day Today correspondent?

Neville Chamberlain

The publishers could have chosen from so many beautiful images to adorn the cover of this Faroese phrasebook, but it seems they went with 'depressed boy up a ladder':

pigamus

^Pissing myself at that second Hobbit one - like something out of Viz

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Alberon on February 09, 2021, 10:40:38 AM
This one is not technically a bad cover, but it reminds me so much of Syd and Eddie (and indeed it was on the Little and Large thread here that I first saw it) that it becomes very distracting.

I mean, it really does look like both of them. The 50th anniversary of the Hobbit was in 1987, so I like to believe the artist based it on them.

But if you want a genuinely bad Hobbit cover then there's this foreign language edition to enjoy.

I like how the.aardvak monster has some kind of rudimentary jumper.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Alberon on February 09, 2021, 10:40:38 AM

The days when artists couldn't get references easily via the internet, so had to just use whatever they had lying around (probably the TV Times or something in this case).

Alberon

I've found out who the cover artist is. It's a guy called Michael Herring and he is English.

So, it is possible.

Panbaams

Quote from: Phil_A on February 09, 2021, 12:37:30 PM
Also doesn't Anderson Prunty like the name of a Day Today correspondent?

He definitely merits further investigation.

QuoteSatanic Summer
by Andersen Prunty
Doug Backus is a normal young man trying to lead a clean Christian life but when mysterious and gruesome deaths begin occurring in his town of Clover, Kentucky, he learns that his life can never be as wholesome as he wants. Along with his heathen friend Crank and pariah neighbor Whitney, he becomes involved in an exploration of the town's secrets that will either lead them to their doom or answer all the questions Doug has about almost everything. Only one thing becomes certain: Salvation is not an option. From Andersen Prunty, author of Fuckness and Hi I'm a Social Disease comes a sleazy horror comedy about friendship, religion, and satanic orgies.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on February 04, 2021, 08:00:54 AM

Surely having a 100-foot player is impractical?

(How do you do a football crime series and not have a book called Murder Most Foul?)

Bad Ambassador

Famous Mortimer

poodlefaker

Some great quotes from the lads on the back of that LOL Bellend book. Absolute legends, cheers guys.

Glebe

Quote from: Alberon on February 09, 2021, 10:40:38 AMThis one is not technically a bad cover, but it reminds me so much of Syd and Eddie

Or Gervais (with Mackenzie Crook as Gollum).

Quote from: pigamus on February 09, 2021, 01:13:48 PM^Pissing myself at that second Hobbit one - like something out of Viz

Heh, yeah, I thought that too, he looks a bit like Sid the Sexist!

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on February 09, 2021, 01:07:13 PMThe publishers could have chosen from so many beautiful images to adorn the cover of this Faroese phrasebook, but it seems they went with 'depressed boy up a ladder with Tom Randall bringing him some fish and chips':

jobotic

Yeah great stuff.

I hope Girlington is a substitute for Gillingham

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Mobius on February 10, 2021, 09:37:10 PM
Really enjoyed this

I can heartily recommend the review of the third - sadly, final - book of the trilogy.

Mobius

Fantastic, thank you. Can't believe this is real.

jobotic

I feel a fool now, clearly Gillingham is Gillingford. And I thought it was Girlington!

Love the bit on the plane.