Author Topic: More terrible book covers  (Read 6111 times)

Re: More terrible book covers
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2019, 12:00:26 AM »
Truly shocking. I accidentally bought a Wordsworth Classic edition once and it's one of the few books that I can recall throwing away, so perturbed was I to have it blight my bookshelf. The anachronistic ones that get the historical period wrong are the worst.

I'm willing to sort through public domain art and do the covers for them for free. What sack of lumps is getting paid to produce these?

Though the budget-rate publishers are one thing, it's much worse when it's a legitimate imprint like Modern Library.

How is this possible from a major publisher like Modern Library, for one of the classics of early-nineteenth-century Russian literature?

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2019, 12:35:54 AM »
I bought a few Wordsworth Editions when I was into classic horror and they were one of the only publishers who were putting out some of the authors. My copy of Ambrose Bierce's stories had a photograph of some corpse on the front. I hid it away on the bookshelf out of sight from the more sensitive.

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2019, 02:20:32 PM »
This is my favourite Wordsworth Classics cover, an alternative version where the painting transforms into a hipster.