Author Topic: More terrible book covers  (Read 4086 times)

Chriddof

• Things start to happen!
Re: More terrible book covers
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2018, 10:22:45 AM »
At first glance I honestly thought that was a book about Roswell.

MoonDust

• I ALWAYS WENT TO THE CIRCUS AS A CHILD
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2018, 10:26:05 AM »
Oh wow that is awful.

It looks like a VHS cover of a low budget UFO documentary from the 90s. That's immediately what I thought.

Edit: I had similar thoughts to Chriddof.

Glebe

• So here we are, then.
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »
From the band bios thread

Behold:

That's going to sit in a comfy chair and the words 'Armchair Thriller' will come up... on the, er, screen.

Maurice Yeatman

• His Reverence won't like it
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 10:54:16 PM »

"We love your book, vicar, but we've had second thoughts about the cover if you don't mind. We need to attract younger buyers."

Maurice Yeatman

• His Reverence won't like it
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 12:57:17 AM »
Here's Savile's foreword to the above, a kick in the teeth to anyone who believes he was a monster who didn't have hidden depths.

JifMoose

• Jif! Jif Moose! Jiffers!
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 10:13:56 PM »
I've been getting a lot of books from the archive.org openlibrary. It's great, but for some reason I've fallen into a hole of computing books from the 90s - and my word are there some dodgy covers:

Want to iron your shirt for the portrait on the cover of your biography, Tim? Nah, I'm fine...

What will sell a book on the inventor of the first web browser? Piety!

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 11:19:07 PM »

Probably repeating someone word for word from the previous thread which I haven't read, but this one looks like it's setting out to test "don't judge a book by its cover" to the absolute limits. Who on earth could have possibly thought that was a good idea for both the standard and extended versions?

Still amazed at what is probably the best music book I’ve ever read that this cover passed quality control! It only took the best part of a decade for Lewisohn to write it, you’d have thought they’d have time to come up with something decent.

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2019, 07:44:24 AM »

Probably repeating someone word for word from the previous thread which I haven't read, but this one looks like it's setting out to test "don't judge a book by its cover" to the absolute limits. Who on earth could have possibly thought that was a good idea for both the standard and extended versions?

Still amazed at what is probably the best music book I’ve ever read that this cover passed quality control! It only took the best part of a decade for Lewisohn to write it, you’d have thought they’d have time to come up with something decent.

It looks like it's just come up to the screen with a whooshing sound, where it's going to hang for a few seconds, pulsating, before it whooshes off again to make way for the new Atomic Kitten video on cd:uk.

Glebe

• So here we are, then.