Author Topic: What have you found written in second-hand books?  (Read 5150 times)

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
Re: What have you found written in second-hand books?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 11:26:09 AM »
My old library, "Hammer Of The Gods", the Led Zeppelin biography. Someone had gone through and scratched out all the references to what a bad lad Jimmy Page was, until about halfway through when a later reader had penned "STOP FUCKING DOING THIS". This inspired a fair bit of debate, with several other hands agreeing that it was sort of annoying to not be able to read the weird sex and magick stuff.

It's one of the chief regrets of my life I never just kept the book and paid the "lost" fee, but sadly it is lost to time.

Brundle-Fly

• I'm so Avant-garden variety
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 12:29:41 PM »
Bought this for a few quid in Highgate Village Oxfam last year. Made me a little sad this book lovingly signed and messaged by Michael Palin has found its way to a charity shop after all these years.

Oh, Jackie, you didn't take heed and now look at the state of this world. It's all your fault!

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 12:35:53 PM »
Strange. I've bought tons of books from charity shops over the years and have never found anything more exciting than the price scribbled in pencil in the top right-hand corner of one of the first pages :-(

Brundle-Fly

• I'm so Avant-garden variety
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 12:58:06 PM »
Strange. I've bought tons of books from charity shops over the years and have never found anything more exciting than the price scribbled in pencil in the top right-hand corner of one of the first pages :-(

It's amazing what you find in charity shops if you look hard enough. Ask Head Gardener. Last year I also picked up a Prodigy live DVD signed by the whole band for £1:50. I wouldn't particularly choose to buy a Prodigy live dvd in 2017 but I did like them once upon a time and I felt it needed a home.

Phil_A

• HE WAS AN ROBOT
    • Chasing The Bumblebee
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »
Second hand bookshops tend to be better for this sort of thing, particularly if you stumble on the collections of people that have passed on and the family have just off-loaded the books without even looking through them. You find all kinds of things. Ancient receipts used as bookmarks, postcards, letters...

The most interesting I ever found was a letter sent to someone's university pal during the war, immaculately preserved in a book of poetry. Annoyingly it got misplaced somewhere over the years and I've no idea where it is now.

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »
Some pettiness:

Cuellar

• Push off my wire
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 02:59:53 PM »
Not scribbled, but I found this once:

I'm choosing to view 'promoting the appreciation and sharing of Beauty, Truth and Tradition in our transient society of 'progress' and relativism. For more info visit our facebook page' as irony.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 06:01:40 PM »
I got a biography of baseball legend Ted Williams which is absolutely crammed with scribbles:

Until, rather suddenly, in the middle of page 230, the annotator writes "Oh" as if they've had a moment of self-awareness and stops.

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 08:28:39 PM »
"Congratulations
on your Great
Standard Grade
results!
- 2007 -
from,
Uncle Pete
&
Sarah xxx"

MoonDust

• I ALWAYS WENT TO THE CIRCUS AS A CHILD
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2018, 09:23:11 AM »
I'm glad some of these have dates written in them too. For some reason I like to know when these mystery people read their books.

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2018, 09:36:27 AM »
0nce asked an uncle's brother-in-law if I could have his copy of Palin's Pole to Pole?
Said yes. While looking through, found at the index, signed, "Yours, Michael Palin".
So he had possibly accidentally given me something  signed by one of my childhood heroes.

easytarget

• five gas lighters for a pound
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2018, 06:43:04 AM »
No, it wasn't my whole thumb.  I found that inside the tape deck of a ZX Spectrum at a Cash Converters in Skegness.
The +2, call it by it's name

Looks like Mark didn't want the extra copy of The Devil's Dictionary, I wonder how Michelle feels about that?

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2018, 09:16:26 AM »
^ I genuinely love that book.  Although that inscription reminds of the time I, as a churlish English teen punk visiting my Canadian fam, gave my aunt a copy of Rushdie's The Satanic Verses. When another aunt asked her what present she got from me, aunt number one replied, "...The Satanic Verses." To which aunt number 2 responded: "That's funny, I thought you said The Satanic Verses."  "I did."  "Oh."

Captain Crunch

• Twister, Dustbuster, Hospital Bed
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2018, 01:39:04 PM »
When you see it, you'll shit bricks! 

Or maybe just smile and get that song stuck in your head.

From the 'must read' list at the back of this:

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2018, 12:05:27 AM »
In 'The Exploits of Engelbrecht'

And inexplicably in the notes for The Mayor of Casterbridge

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2018, 08:35:09 PM »
The +2, call it by it's name

Looks like Mark didn't want the extra copy of The Devil's Dictionary, I wonder how Michelle feels about that?

This reminds me of the Acid Jazz - Totally Wired LP I picked up with 'Happy Christmas '95' and some illegible name on it in that silver metallic pen that rattles that some people only use at Christmas.. Made me think about it's life, and also sad that it would be given away, it's rather good.

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2018, 10:13:00 PM »
When you see it, you'll shit bricks! 

Or maybe just smile and get that song stuck in your head.

I don't get it...

buttgammon

• You can't trust a man what's made of gas
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2018, 11:00:05 PM »
I don't get it...

Howard's Way/Howard's End...

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • Very tired. Sorry if my recent posts are shit.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2018, 11:43:45 PM »
Second hand copy of Richard III

“YOU WILL BE THE WANKER’S WIFE NOW!”

Never made sense of that.

Bingo Fury

• Only qualified to work on sailors
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2018, 11:51:58 PM »
Howard's Way/Howard's End...

Fuck, I thought it was the apostrophe I was supposed to shit bricks over, I didn't even notice that.

biggytitbo

• WHAT ABOUT THE GODDAM JAFFA CAKES ASSWIPE
    • theunredacted
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2018, 11:59:52 PM »
I found a handwritten list of nude scenes in films with approx timings inside a halliwells circa the mid 90s. Thank you whoever that was, pre Internet that list was fucking gold dust.

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2019, 05:17:31 PM »
At my secondary school our German teacher was a Mr 'Wuff' Westerdale. One day I found an inscription inside the school library copy of Mein Kampf that read "To my dearest Wuffles, love Adolf".

Genius.

JesusAndYourBush

• Earnest silky coconut shell
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2019, 07:37:00 PM »
Fuck, I thought it was the apostrophe I was supposed to shit bricks over, I didn't even notice that.

I never noticed it either.  The best I could come up with song-related was "Waugh... livin on a prayer!"