Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:45:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Mario Odyssey - and some general chat about Mario games

Started by Kelvin, October 12, 2017, 02:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Shay Chaise

Wow, I knew this guy is fuckin brain damage but no chance my pal, no chance. What a pile of shit he just wrote.

madhair60

Wow, guys, you never see Sony fans this rabid and insulting.

^ this is a joke, because you in fact do see it

brat-sampson

People all up like 'Whaaat Nindoooo! Why remove lives you are for KIDS ONLY! Not everything has to be STOPID and EASY stop making MARIO CASUL!'

Just remind them, does Cuphead have lives? Do Soulsborne games have lives? No. They let you retry a challenge relentlessly. Hell, most games don't have Lives anymore, they have save points instead. All the removal of Lives does is save on repetition of shit you've shown you can do. It absolutely does not make the game itself 'easy'.

(SMW is fucking great, my favourite 2D Mario. Not sure about Fav. 3D as I haven't played most of them in ages, but 3DW was great fun when I went through it a couple of years ago.)

Shay Chaise

I've never played more than a few hours of SMW because I don't like either the music or the aesthetic or Yoshi or the level design. Why's the first guy you see wearing American football? No thanks.

I would defend it with my life, inevitably.

Twed

Quote from: brat-sampson on October 13, 2017, 05:58:19 PM
People all up like 'Whaaat Nindoooo! Why remove lives you are for KIDS ONLY! Not everything has to be STOPID and EASY stop making MARIO CASUL!'

Just remind them, does Cuphead have lives? Do Soulsborne games have lives? No. They let you retry a challenge relentlessly. Hell, most games don't have Lives anymore, they have save points instead. All the removal of Lives does is save on repetition of shit you've shown you can do. It absolutely does not make the game itself 'easy'.
Lives are a hangup of game design from the arcade days and they have made absolutely no sense in game design since 1990. If people really want to be hardcore they should just delete their save file if they die five times in a row.

Having to go back and do stuff you've already mastered because you got stuck later on is a good reason to hate computer games.

colacentral

The actual difficulty should be upped to balance out the ability to try the same thing an infinite number of times though.

I think Mario World gets alot better in its second half, specifically from the Woods area onwards. I'm not too keen on the first few levels. The secret Star levels are great too. Anyone who's not bothered past the first few levels of Mario World and was disappointed should give it another go and try to get a bit further.

Replies From View

Why don't they make Mario games in black and white anymore to appeal to older people?  Back in the 90s pensioners twitching along to Super Mario Land on the Game Boy were ten a penny on double decker buses and the London Underground.  Nowadays you never see that.  An entire demographic ignored.

Thursday

I highly recommend madhair's youtube series, for more of his bad videogame opinions by the way.

(Genuinely though they are excellent)

Kelvin

madhair60

I didn't link it cos self-promotion and that but clicky globey

<---------------------------------------------------------------

I love Mario and am glad we are discussing him.

Replies From View

If you had to say that one of the Mario games was exactly the same as Superman 4, which of the Mario games would you choose?

(You may choose more than one if you wish, but if you don't provide an answer by 6am tomorrow, you will be consumed by moth larvae in your sleep.  Unless you are up and about before 6am; an annoying little loophole I don't have the authority to fix.)

madhair60

Thursday

Quote from: Kelvin on October 13, 2017, 06:58:00 PM
I didn't know he had one. Can you post a link?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbqSCYsFxl8sLY3lXknviEA/videos

Videoworld is his best stuff I think, I wanted to be careful about just going ahead and linking to it in case he might not have wanted that.

Also since he's garbage, it pains me to admit he does something good.

greenman

Quote from: colacentral on October 13, 2017, 06:14:23 PM
The actual difficulty should be upped to balance out the ability to try the same thing an infinite number of times though.

I think Mario World gets alot better in its second half, specifically from the Woods area onwards. I'm not too keen on the first few levels. The secret Star levels are great too. Anyone who's not bothered past the first few levels of Mario World and was disappointed should give it another go and try to get a bit further.

It did always feel like a game pacing itself for its size starting off fairly slowly. I did enjoy its focus on incredibly solid mechanics over everything else though, especially as you say when it came to the deeper aspects of the game.

Shay Chaise

I have a digital subscription to Edge but it's not come through yet. I've alcohol looked in the shops and can't find the cunt. How has that guy got a copy of it? Google Play Newstand is fuckin shit.

Bhazor

Shay Chaise

Ah, OK, I thought he'd found it in a shop. What a nob for breaking release date then. Not cool.

Bhazor

Quote from: Shay Chaise on October 13, 2017, 09:48:17 PM
Ah, OK, I thought he'd found it in a shop. What a nob for breaking release date then. Not cool.

He did. He just has connections. At his local newsie. You don't make Plok without making some powerful friends.

Edge review up on Imgur.

https://imgur.com/xPtWi5f

"Mario has never felt better in the palms"

Replies From View

Has there ever been a Mario game without teeth?

I mean I can't remember a Mario game where their teeth were explicitly shown, but that's not the same as them ever making a point of saying these plumber guys never had a fucking tooth between them.  Which would cast a new light on the franchise, I'm sure you'd agree.

It would be good to know.  Just send the answer if you have it.

Bhazor

It has to be said. Live action Mario is terrifying.

Replies From View

Bhazor

BritishHobo

I'm playing Mario 64 for the first time ever right now (apart from when I originally got it about eight years ago but got fed up really quickly and gave up). It's hard to review I suppose, because I'm playing the DS version, so I'm not sure if the frustrating controls are down to that or are the same as the original. Also any time you experience a classic game for the first time, it's tough to remove yourself from your own experience with modern games and experience it in the context it was released in.

That said, the controls are a fucking nightmare at times. Way too sensitive, which makes most ice/lava/sand levels hell. Anytime I'm not on solid ground I basically surrender myself to having a shit time. And fuck swimming. Then again that goes for literally all platforming games ever. But jesus, the amount of times I've had to repeat levels over and over because I know what I'm doing but the controls keep sliding me off or slipping me into quicksand.

I agree with people saying you should be able to get multiple stars on a pass-through. It wouldn't mean any change to the game, because you'd still have to do many stars separately due to the level changes. But it's a bit of a ballache when you collect eight red coins on the way to the level boss and then realise you're going to have to either find all the coins again, or grab that star and plod back to the boss from the start and defeat him again.

All that said, it's great fucking fun, and I can really see why it was such a massive achievement in gaming. I do love that you get to explore levels so many times, that you find different parts of it as you search for more stars.

BritishHobo

Also I'm 99% sure I'm getting the Switch for Christmas with a copy of Odyssey, and I could fucking piss my pants with excitement. I hate the newer 2D platformers (and their 3D Land/World extensions), but Galaxy 2 is no question one of my favourite games of all-time, so I want it now.

Replies From View

Anyone know yet what the main differences are between Super Mario Odyssey and Abe's Oddysee?

BritishHobo

Replies From View

Thursday

Can we have a Mario Odyseey thread where Replies From View isn't allowed in?