Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:29:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

It'll probably be worth starting new threads for major works / events, but for everything else I thought a catch all might be best.

The Walking Dead 172 - So Kirkman's introduced a major new character in Princess, whose hyperactive and has a sense of humour and in this dour old world should be a much needed thing but unfortunately so far I'm just finding her really annoying. Meanwhile there's lots of dull stuff with rebuilding the Hilltop and Carl having women not vomit in to his fetid eye hole, and then Beta suddenly pops up and it looks like he's going to kill Jesus. Don't care either way to be honest, I have no idea why I'm still reading this, I think it's the most masochistic thing I've ever done to myself. Still, at least the issue was Negan free, so that's something, maybe?

Doctor Who: The Lost Dimension Part 1 (of 8) - Another big crossover event featuring multiple doctors and companions, including what's as far as I know the first appearance of Jenny, the Doctor's daughter, in any of the comics. It's fun and fast paced and really likeable so far, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest..

BeardFaceMan

God yeah, I've been pissed off with Kirkman for ages but the introduction to that new character has finally made me give up for good. I just don't have faith he can write anything interesting in this universe anymore, TWD has been boring for a while, at times it really is no different to a shitty daytime tv soap opera, poor dialogue and all.

holyzombiejesus

There's a new Chris Ware book out!  This Guardian review makes it sound like a memoir. I've had it on order since May and had totally forgotten about it, presuming it would be a kind of retrospective/Acme Novelty Date Book type thing, so when the email came through today saying it had been dispatched, shortly followed by seeing that Guardian piece, I am suddenly really excited. New Chris Ware!!

studpuppet

This thread* I 'ave mostly been enjoying Animosity and Black Hammer.

*Thanks to whoever recommended them on the old thread.

Phil_A

A couple of months back I was moaning that 2000AD doesn't do any of the weird conceptual stuff anymore, and now John Smith's back doing a new run of Indigo Prime that features William S Burroughs as a major character.

Yes, this is much more like it. I'm sorry I doubted you, Tharg.

hermitical

can the old thread be moved to this forum as well?

Serge

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 13, 2017, 11:22:30 PM
There's a new Chris Ware book out!  This Guardian review makes it sound like a memoir. I've had it on order since May and had totally forgotten about it, presuming it would be a kind of retrospective/Acme Novelty Date Book type thing, so when the email came through today saying it had been dispatched, shortly followed by seeing that Guardian piece, I am suddenly really excited. New Chris Ware!!

Ooh, will have to look into that. Though I still haven't read 'Building Stories'.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Serge on October 14, 2017, 09:45:01 PM
Ooh, will have to look into that. Though I still haven't read 'Building Stories'.

It arrived today in a massive heavy box. I was so excited until my wife caught sight of it, confiscated it and said she'd give it me for my birthday. She gave me what I'd paid for it but now I have to wait a whole month til I read it. I'll be damned if she's getting that book of drawings of UFO sightings that I started a thread about.

buntyman

I got the Chris ware book today. It's almost too heavy to hold and read comfortably but it's really beautifully put together and covers a huge selection of his comics, model designs, magazine covers etc spanning his career. There are also some nice little book design surprises that I won't spoil.

Dr Rock

Ordered this after a recommendation, and seeing the pair who did it had no hesitation in ordering, and it's just arrived. Anyone read it already?

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 16, 2017, 11:06:54 AM
Ordered this after a recommendation, and seeing the pair who did it had no hesitation in ordering, and it's just arrived. Anyone read it already?

Yes, read it a few years ago now. It is a fantastic read alright and one of my fave graphic novels. Won't say too much just now though but it really does take you on a universal rollercoaster (sorry for cliched pun there) and a great sense of humour as I recall. In fact, i should really give it a reread now. 
Enjoy!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: studpuppet on October 14, 2017, 12:00:38 AM
Black Hammer.

Have you got Sherlock Frankenstein & The Legion Of Evil ? I have it in my 'to read' pile.

ASFTSN

Quote from: buntyman on October 15, 2017, 01:22:53 AM
I got the Chris ware book today.

Does anything in it suggest he's cheered up a little bit recently?  He's an almost godlike figure to me in terms of what he does (I used to make myself miserable trying to emulate him) but I just reached a point where I couldn't take the dull bleakness (in subject matter) any more.

Phil_A

Quote from: Phil_A on October 14, 2017, 12:57:06 AM
A couple of months back I was moaning that 2000AD doesn't do any of the weird conceptual stuff anymore, and now John Smith's back doing a new run of Indigo Prime that features William S Burroughs as a major character.

Yes, this is much more like it. I'm sorry I doubted you, Tharg.

Since posting this I've caught up with some back issues, and I didn't realise Smith is not actually writing the new strip, for whatever reason he has decided not to keep working for the comic any more and the editor has farmed out his strips to other writers. Not so good.

I'm intensely disappointed in you, Tharg.

In other more positive news, the 2000AD Collection series has now released Volume 1 of Nemesis The Warlock(which is actually Books I-III of the original run, not bad for a tenner).

Small Man Big Horse

I picked this up in a newsagents today:

I know the original series only lasted 15 issues but I loved them as a ten year old and read them many a time, and it's great to see it back as a one off, The Thirteenth Floor is especially fun and if they could keep up this level of quality I'd happily buy it on a monthly basis.

kidsick5000

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 13, 2017, 11:22:30 PM

It is physically huge. The size of an A1 poster. It's not going through your letterbox (unless you live in a stable)

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 20, 2017, 09:22:43 PM
I picked this up in a newsagents today:

I know the original series only lasted 15 issues but I loved them as a ten year old and read them many a time, and it's great to see it back as a one off, The Thirteenth Floor is especially fun and if they could keep up this level of quality I'd happily buy it on a monthly basis.

Is that Henry Flint art on the cover?

Small Man Big Horse

garbed_attic

The (not entirely unexpected) love for Chris Ware makes me feel ever more at home here. Even at his most neurotic I find his stuff deeply reassuring. It's probably my having the OCD.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 21, 2017, 08:54:19 AM
It is physically huge. The size of an A1 poster. It's not going through your letterbox (unless you live in a stable)

Yeah, despite the huge size, I'm a bit underwhelmed. Obviously it's a beautiful book but I'd heard that it was more of a memoir rather than a deluxe monograph especially when we've already had the 2 Acme Novelty date Books and the Daniel Raeburn retrospective. Perhaps there's more to it; its really hard to find the time and space to take a proper look. Again, I'm not complaining. Chris Ware is probably my favourite artist working in any medium and seeing anything he produces is always a grand event, but I'd have liked something to read. It feels like an age since Building Stories.

EDIT: I'd forgotten all about The Last Saturday! It feels odd thinking back that we used to get a whole new page of Chris Ware in the Guardian every Saturday.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/ng-interactive/2014/sep/13/-sp-chris-ware-the-last-saturday-graphic-novel

Serge

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 25, 2017, 12:19:26 AMI'd heard that it was more of a memoir rather than a deluxe monograph

Er.....wasn't the title a bit of giveaway?

It's on my Christmas list anyway, along with that UFO Drawings book. And about 20 other books.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Serge on November 25, 2017, 11:46:05 AM
Er.....wasn't the title a bit of giveaway?

Well, yes. I thought that but the Guardian article went on about it being a memoir so my expectations shifted.

garbed_attic

So, what do y'all reckon is Chris Ware's best, then?

Personally, I am inclined towards Acme Novelty Library #19 as having the perfect balance between humanistic melancholy and coruscating humour. The formalistic aspects are bracing, but never risk subsuming the story or character work as they do occasionally for me in Lint and Building Stories. Also, I really like how it is structured similarly to Pale Fire, allowing satisfying re-reading, trying to catch the meta- "mistakes" and Freudian slippages in the first half in light of the second.

Thursday

I only know Jimmy Corrigan and Building Stories, so what would be the best place to go to next?

Sin Agog

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 16, 2017, 11:06:54 AM

Give The Metabarons a punt when you're done with that.  I'm not sure if I'd say it's better than L'Incal- it's definitely on a much larger scale, while missing Moebius' artwork a little.  For someone who comes across like an acid-fried Trappist monk, Jodo sure can be a heartless little twist when it comes to his writing.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Thursday on November 26, 2017, 03:49:28 PM
I only know Jimmy Corrigan and Building Stories, so what would be the best place to go to next?

I think you'd really enjoy Lint! (the comic not the character, who is a toad!)

It's one of the better ways of getting into the Rusty Brown + Chalky White cycle as it is also pretty self-contained.

bushwick

Have bought loads of good comics/graf novels this year. New stuff I've liked is Richard Corben's 'Shadows Of The Grave' horror series:

This is fantastic too, psychedelic exploitation with wild art:

I am the biggest fan of Benjamin Marra and this is his tour-de-force, 240 pages of demented pulp trash action. If you like Raymond Pettibon and films like Vice Squad and Death Wish 3 you will love this:

and although not new work have been enjoying some of the 2000AD hardback reprint series, especially Slaine The Horned God and Halo Jones.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: bushwick on December 12, 2017, 02:35:49 PM
Have bought loads of good comics/graf novels this year. New stuff I've liked is Richard Corben's 'Shadows Of The Grave' horror series:

Awww, man ! Thanks for reminding me about this. Love Corben.
I remembered last night, that I'd bought Moore's From Hell ages ago, digitally. I'll be reading that again over Christmas. Such a great book that. I remember reading loads about the history of London after I'd finished it the first time. Fascinating stuff. Particularly :

Swoz_MK

Quote from: bushwick on December 12, 2017, 02:35:49 PM
I am the biggest fan of Benjamin Marra and this is his tour-de-force, 240 pages of demented pulp trash action. If you like Raymond Pettibon and films like Vice Squad and Death Wish 3 you will love this:

Benjamin Marra is my favourite current artist. Just amazing. Didn't think the Night Business collection was out for a while yet so that's good news. I've got issues 1-4 and been waiting for a conclusion for a good while now so good news.

Gangsta Rap Posse and the rest of the books collected in American Blood are fantastic but Terror Assaulter is just incredible. Bafflingly graphic and so funny.