Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:51:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Halfway through The Boys: Dear Becky, and it's just nice to have those characters back for a short while

Enjoying Ninjak, so cheers for the recommendation!

Coming to the end of Injustice 2, and I'm glad as it's not up to the standard of the first one. Having Supes locked up somewhere and instead focusing on lots of other, not as good conflicts has seen quite a drop in quality. It's still well written and surprisingly funny, mind

Still slowly getting through the 1000 page plus The Killer. It's very good, but it's going on a bit now

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 25, 2021, 01:16:52 PM
Still slowly getting through the 1000 page plus The Killer. It's very good, but it's going on a bit now
I have this to read.
I read vol 1 - 3 sometime back. Loved it at the time. So cool.
Hadn't realised there were another 2 out there.

samadriel

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 25, 2021, 01:16:52 PM
Enjoying Ninjak, so cheers for the recommendation!
Beauty!  Glad to hear it.  Dear Becky was indeed nice, getting an update on the survivors.

I'm currently reading Britannia, a Valiant comic set in Nero's Rome, written by  Pete Milligan and given some nice grimy art by Juan Jose Ryp.  It's not really grabbing me like Milligan's Shadowman did, but I'm only an issue in.  I'd be more drawn in if it had some connection to the general Valiant universe, which is unlikely since the chronology predates even XO Manowar by 300 years or so, but we'll see.

Mister Six

Akira Vols. 1 and 2
I'm a fan of the film, but I'd never read the comics before so this is a bit of a revelation - so odd to see so many familiar characters, locations and situations in unfamiliar orders and formations. Everyone gets a little side-story or a rounder personality, it seems! Kei comes out of it best - she's a much more independent figure here,
Spoiler alert
even if she still ends up being possessed by the spooky kids
[close]
- and it's interesting to see how much more affable Kaneda is, too. He seems like a much younger, cheekier teen rather than the cocksure lad from the film. Still a violent little bastard, though.

Reading the comics also makes me appreciate what a good job Otomo did in dismantling the various different parts of this mammoth work and reconfiguring them into screenplay length - and there are even parts that the film does better, like establishing Tetsuo's resentment and insecurity around Kaneda prior to everything going to shit. Excited to see where the next four volumes go, as I imagine it'll be largely unseen territory for me.

Summer Blonde
Four short stories alienation and loneliness from Adrian Tomine's Optic Nerve comic. Tomine's got a knack for making even the seediest and most pathetic characters at least a little sympathetic, and that's on full display here. There's a melancholic vibe that will be familiar to Daniel Clowes fans, but none of Clowes's occasional flights of fantasy or high drama, just sad people barely holding their lives together. Really well-written, and his draughtsmanship is great, if not flashy.

Why I Hate Saturn
If this were a 1980s cult movie it would still be beloved today. As a comic, it seems to have been kind of forgotten. Drawn in a scratchier style than Kyle Baker's modern Ralph Bakshi/John K-inspired illustrations, it's a cynically funny, frequently absurd story about romantic frustrations and irritating relatives. The ending is abrupt and awkward, as is the case with a lot of these three-issue miniseries, but the journey is fun. Would love to see it adapted as a film or miniseries on HBO Max.

The Multiversity
Grant Morrison does a big DC cataclysmic event. Again. The angle for this one is that it takes place outside the usual DC Universe - so it's Captain Carrot the talking rabbit and Calvin Ellis the black Superman at the forefront along with alternative takes on various second- third- and fifteenth-stringers. Also that the universes have been linked by a sentient, cursed comic book - which is THE VERY BOOK YOU HOLD IN YOUR HANDS! Some of this is great, especially the Frank Quitely-illustrated Pax Americana, which is basically Watchmen in miniature performed by the Charleston characters Moore originally wanted to use for the story. Sadly, some of the other sections seem rather underwritten and end on unresolved cliffhangers, and the climax is just a big daft superhero fight, albeit a better one than we got in Morrison's Final Crisis. Worth checking out for DC and Morrison fanatics; others might want to look elsewhere.

13 schoolyards

Why I Hate Saturn is brilliant. Supposedly the original pitch was more plot driven but Baker really got into the whole "New Yorkers hanging out talking shit" vibe. Then foolishly he submitted the first two thirds (which was all he'd done until then) to his editor, who promptly said "this isn't what I signed off on", which is why it abruptly lurches into this (less satisfying) plot-driven story.

His earlier The Cowboy Wally Show is also extremely funny, though it's just a collection of bits rather than one solid story.

Small Man Big Horse

Batman/Catwoman - Tom King's back with his take on Batman, there's been four issues of this so far and it's kind of fun, but I'm not sure I'd be reading it if it wasn't free.

Batman 705 - James Tynion IV took over the series from the much criticised King, but I think he's absolutely shit, one of the worst writers I've ever seen on the series and I won't be reading any more of his run.

Doctor Who - Jody Houser (of Faith fame) still knocks it out of the park, in this four part mini-series which teams 13 up with 10 and throws in an alternative timeline Rose Tyler for good value. I'm presuming Titan made her do this for sales reasons, but thankfully she pulls it off and it's the most fun I've had with Who since Chibnall took over.

JLA Vol.1 - The first nine issues of Grant Morrison's run on the series and it feels like a watered down version of Doom Patrol, with some fun villains and strange ideas mixed with the antics of the Justice League. It's not Morrison's best work but I still enjoyed it, though I'm glad I only paid £2 for it from a charity shop.

Animal Man - Whereas this is Morrison at the top of his game, and still something I love a huge amount, I've reread it many a time over the years but appear to never get bored of it.

madhair60

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 20, 2021, 10:06:01 AM
Batman/Catwoman - Tom King's back with his take on Batman, there's been four issues of this so far and it's kind of fun, but I'm not sure I'd be reading it if it wasn't free.

It isn't?

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on March 01, 2021, 02:43:35 PM
Once I've finished my current book, I'll be starting on My Favourite Thing Is Monsters, which I believe one of you guys recommended? Really looking for to THAT. I think I'm going to go on a bit of a graphic novel bender, as it were.
I've recently bought :
Parasyte vol 2, 3 & 4
Hmmm. Vol 1 was ace, 2 not so much, 3 less so, 4 a little better. Not sure I can be bothered with any more.....

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: madhair60 on April 20, 2021, 12:49:34 PM
It isn't?

It is if you go in to your local comic shop each month with a shotgun, murder the staff and all of the customers and all of their families.

frajer

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 20, 2021, 02:44:47 PM
It is if you go in to your local comic shop each month with a shotgun, murder the staff and all of the customers and all of their families.

Suit up old chum, the Splash Panel Splatterer has struck again!

Mister Six

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on April 20, 2021, 02:36:59 AM
Why I Hate Saturn is brilliant. Supposedly the original pitch was more plot driven but Baker really got into the whole "New Yorkers hanging out talking shit" vibe. Then foolishly he submitted the first two thirds (which was all he'd done until then) to his editor, who promptly said "this isn't what I signed off on", which is why it abruptly lurches into this (less satisfying) plot-driven story.

Ah, that's a shame. I'd love for him to take another crack at it in telly form, say. Some of the stuff about the treatment of black people in the media seems like it would go down well today.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 20, 2021, 10:06:01 AMBatman 705 - James Tynion IV took over the series from the much criticised King, but I think he's absolutely shit, one of the worst writers I've ever seen on the series and I won't be reading any more of his run.

Why? I've only read his Hellblazer reboot, and it was a bit naff, but not execrable (for the most part).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on April 20, 2021, 08:12:22 PM
Why? I've only read his Hellblazer reboot, and it was a bit naff, but not execrable (for the most part).

I just thought the dialogue was cringeworthy, the plotting dull, it's not doing anything original, and I'm sick to death of Harley Quinn. King's run was deeply flawed but at least he made Bruce a more intriguing character, whereas it feels like a hard reset has taken place and Batman's back to being a dull surly bloke yet again.

Spiteface

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 20, 2021, 08:22:41 PM
I just thought the dialogue was cringeworthy, the plotting dull, it's not doing anything original, and I'm sick to death of Harley Quinn. King's run was deeply flawed but at least he made Bruce a more intriguing character, whereas it feels like a hard reset has taken place and Batman's back to being a dull surly bloke yet again.

Welcome to my world re: Harley Quinn.

As for recent Batman, there was some good stuff in King's run, but I was still a bit "You're not my REAL dad!" Towards it coming off Scott Snyder's New 52 stuff which I loved (even the Jim Gordon mecha Bat-Bunny stuff).

I fell behind on comics the last couple of months, will probably catch up with Mighty Morphin'/Power Rangers (the 2 current Power Rangers titles), Radiant Black and Trials of Ultraman soonish. Not rushing with Batman though.

madhair60

I don't mind Tynion Batman because it feels like it's actually building to something, but the character of Clownhunter is one of the most embarrassing additions in a long time

Mister Six

Is he the guy who talks like Roast Beef from Achewood?

frajer

Custard

Loads of Star Wars "Legends" stuff going for very cheap on Comixology at the moment. 79p for the 400 plus page Thrawn Trilogy is not to be sniffed at!

I'd recommend Jabba The Hutt: The Art Of The Deal also, as that made me belly laugh on at least three occasions. Maybe my favourite Star Wars thing

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 28, 2021, 08:32:22 AM
Loads of Star Wars "Legends" stuff going for very cheap on Comixology at the moment. 79p for the 400 plus page Thrawn Trilogy is not to be sniffed at!

I'd recommend Jabba The Hutt: The Art Of The Deal also, as that made me belly laugh on at least three occasions. Maybe my favourite Star Wars thing

Oooh. Fanx.

Artie Fufkin

Just purchased vol 1 of Grant Morrison's Invisibles, which I've been meaning to delve into for ages.
It's currently on sale at ComiXology.

ANOTHER added to my ever increasing 'to read' pile.
I seriously never need to buy a comic ever again.
I'm never gonna have the time to read them all.

Custard

I know man, I've got a backlog on Comixology of 700 plus. Luckily a lot of them are single issues, but still! Sorted for life, really

Magnum Valentino

I've just started putting my collection back together after selling it off to fund life stuff a few years ago. I've been using Comixology since then and will continue to do so, but Sweet Tooth, Swamp Thing, some of the classic Marvel runs, these are books I want on my shelf. Who knows, maybe the wee girl will want to read them when she's older.

Animal Man by Grant Morrison was first, working my way through the (lovely original 1990s TPBs of) Preacher at the minute. So much has been collected and so many rare books reprinted since I quit that it's been quite easy getting back into.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 28, 2021, 09:31:01 AM
working my way through the (lovely original 1990s TPBs of) Preacher at the minute.
The very comic that got me back into comics. That Garth Ennis owes me a LOT of money!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 28, 2021, 08:32:22 AM

Both bought. MORE comics I don't need! But for £1.58 it'd be rude not to!
Looking forward to Jabba, particularly.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 28, 2021, 09:31:01 AM
I've just started putting my collection back together after selling it off to fund life stuff a few years ago. I've been using Comixology since then and will continue to do so, but Sweet Tooth, Swamp Thing, some of the classic Marvel runs, these are books I want on my shelf. Who knows, maybe the wee girl will want to read them when she's older.

Animal Man by Grant Morrison was first, working my way through the (lovely original 1990s TPBs of) Preacher at the minute. So much has been collected and so many rare books reprinted since I quit that it's been quite easy getting back into.

I sold off my collection around 2004/5 for the same reasons but over the past year or so have started rebuilding it, though via charity shops and the odd ebay auction, for years I only read comics / graphic novels online but for some reason now find I prefer reading physical copies again, and I can't explain why. Luckily my local charity shops are reasonably priced (bar the British Heart Foundation who seem to think the RRP is the price they should sell for) and get a fair few in so I've done quite well while not spending much.

Custard

I have loads of Batman graphic novels, and all of Punisher Max in physical copies

Thing is, the physical editions of this stuff take up so much space doesn't it? Apart from the above, I may sell the rest I own and stick to digital copies on Comixology. Especially when they have sales so often lately

frajer

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 28, 2021, 11:50:45 AM
I have loads of Batman graphic novels, and all of Punisher Max in physical copies

Thing is, the physical editions of this stuff take up so much space doesn't it? Apart from the above, I may sell the rest I own and stick to digital copies on Comixology. Especially when they have sales so often lately

Unfortunately space issues is what led to me taking a load of softcovers to the local charity shop a few years ago.

I've replaced a lot of the physical stuff I had on Comixology since then, but kept my favourite hard copies (the Hellboy Library Editions are gorgeous).

Side note - It's very strange to look at stuff I paid £20 for at the time now going for silly money online because they're out of print. Always wonder if anyone actually buys a Goon Library Edition hardcover for £300.00.

Artie Fufkin

Incidentally, I've just got back in to 2000ad after a couple of years off.
Anyone else here still reading?
It's quite solid, currently.
A regular solid 3 or 4 stories out of 5 every prog.

Artie Fufkin

I've got quite a few various TPB's I keep thinking about selling off.
Particularly Invincible, which may be of interest currently due to the animated series.
I like having them there though.....

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 28, 2021, 11:50:45 AM

Keep me in mind if you do sell those Punisher Max books, they're on my rebuild list. What editions do you have, I'm aware of at least four different formats for the Ennis run.