Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Mister Six on May 06, 2021, 06:54:25 PM
Morrison had already enjoyed massive critical and commercial success with Animal Man, Doom Patrol and Arkham Asylum, though, so not sure if that quite matches up there.

I dunno, I reckon if you're doing two ongoing series at once and one is bringing in the big bucks, you might feel like you can relax and go your own way a little more with the other. Especially as The Invisibles pretty much stumbled straight out the gate and was on pretty shaky ground readership-wise for a while there (as shown by Morrison urging his fans to wank for victory in the letters page), while JLA was (I think) something of a surprise hit with its "back to basics" approach.

Anyway, Ennis' new time travel comic is a lot of fun, and didn't remind me at all of the half-arsed "Time Flies" series he did for 2000AD despite having roughly the same concept.

(new page wank reference)

Small Man Big Horse

Small Gods Volume 1: Killing Grin - Picked this up in a charity shop for £1.99 some point last year and finally got around to reading it, at first it intrigued as the set up is that the lead is a psychic working for the police in a world where such individuals genuinely exist, but for some reason being telepathic is illegal unless you declare your powers, which our hero doesn't do. It started off vaguely okay but quickly became really cliched and the dialogue was embarrassing, I read the first two issues but then just skipped ahead to the end as I wasn't enjoying it, and I'm glad I didn't waste any more time on it as the ending was very poor, and though the black and white art's sometimes effective a lot of the time it was surprisingly dodgy.

Mister Six

The bloke who did Berserk has died of a heart problem. Never read the manga, but the art looked extraordinary.

Small Man Big Horse

Sweet Tooth: The Return 1 and 2 - A sequel series set 300 years after the original, at first it appears that the hybrids are dying out and only one is left, and one who bares a great resemblance to Sweet Tooth at that, along with some of his memories. It's all a lot more complicated though, especially as
Spoiler alert
he appears to live on a holodeck with only three other humans, and soon it's revealed that he's being experimented on by a bunch of hybrid hating humans who live underground, though how he has those very old memories has yet to be revealed.
[close]
And it's okay, I'm fond of the original and so don't have an issue with its return and will stick with it, but it's not essential reading and if you've not read all of the first series it'll make no sense whatsoever.

Small Man Big Horse

Cemetery Beach by Warren Ellis and Jason Howard - I bought this a few years ago but never got around to reading it until now (and I know that Ellis is sadly a cunt, but tried to ignore that) and it's a fast paced action romp, a self contained seven part mini-series which often has several pages of dialogue free art, as a man and a woman on an alien planet are on the run from the authorities and need to get to the Cemetery Beach of the title. It's not bad either, shockingly unsubtle but the action is well portrayed, though toward the end it becomes a little ridiculous and I started to wonder if I'd missed a bit where it's explained they have super powers (I hadn't and they don't). File under: I enjoyed it, and will keep it, but I'd be surprised if I ever re-read it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 27, 2021, 07:17:33 PM
Sweet Tooth: The Return 1 and 2 - A sequel series set 300 years after the original, at first it appears that the hybrids are dying out and only one is left, and one who bares a great resemblance to Sweet Tooth at that, along with some of his memories. It's all a lot more complicated though, especially as
Spoiler alert
he appears to live on a holodeck with only three other humans, and soon it's revealed that he's being experimented on by a bunch of hybrid hating humans who live underground, though how he has those very old memories has yet to be revealed.
[close]
And it's okay, I'm fond of the original and so don't have an issue with its return and will stick with it, but it's not essential reading and if you've not read all of the first series it'll make no sense whatsoever.

Finished this off last night and feel a bit nonplussed,
Spoiler alert
the explanation given to why he had the old memories was questionable, and the various morals of the story (humanity can be shit, we need to learn to share the planet, etc, etc) were that of the original and
[close]
while of interest there's no real need for this to exist.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 27, 2021, 07:17:33 PM
Sweet Tooth: The Return 1 and 2
Just started on Sweet Tooth vol 4 Endangered Species
Loving it! Wanted to read it before starting on the Netflix series, which I believe is a little less grittier? That may not be correct.
I think this is my fave Jeff Lemire output so far. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff, anyhow. And this is a great take on it.

Small Man Big Horse

I've not see the series yet but enjoyed the original run of the comic a lot, and it's right up there with my favourite Lemire comics.

Annihilator by Grant Morrison - Not quite sure what to make of this, I enjoyed aspects but found it very hard to like any of the characters, and sure Morrison comments on that himself but it didn't make it any more fun, though there were parts which were amusing enough.

Artie Fufkin

Just starting the final volume of Sweet Tooth, and it's one of those comics I don't want to end. It's been a real good run.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 07, 2021, 02:56:35 PM
I've not see the series yet but enjoyed the original run of the comic a lot, and it's right up there with my favourite Lemire comics.

Annihilator by Grant Morrison - Not quite sure what to make of this, I enjoyed aspects but found it very hard to like any of the characters, and sure Morrison comments on that himself but it didn't make it any more fun, though there were parts which were amusing enough.

I love Annihilator, but I guess I have a high tolerance for unpleasant protagonists. The art is fantastic, too.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on June 09, 2021, 03:17:03 PM
Just starting the final volume of Sweet Tooth, and it's one of those comics I don't want to end. It's been a real good run.

First re-read for me started today. Gorgeous series, love every detail. Hardcovers feel and smell amazing too.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 09, 2021, 05:36:58 PM
First re-read for me started today. Gorgeous series, love every detail. Hardcovers feel and smell amazing too.
Mmmmmmmmm. You kinky fucker.

Spiteface

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 04, 2021, 09:50:32 AM
Humble Bundle are doing a huge bundle of Boom Studios' surprisingly excellent Power Rangers comics.

£17.65 buys you everything they've put out up until this point.

I've fallen behind on it in the past few months, but everything up to and including Shattered Grid is the best Power Rangers ANYTHING in years.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on June 09, 2021, 03:17:03 PM
Finished. By golly, that was good. With a decent ending, to boot. Great stuff.

ads82

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on June 10, 2021, 11:57:43 AM

Just started Sweet Tooth (up to issue 7) and am immediately blown away by it. It's such a compelling read and at times frighteningly reminiscent of the recent coronavirus crisis. Is Lemire's other comics as good as this?

On the other hand, I've just read Tom King's Mister Miracle and was disappointed by it. I know that it's pretty much sacrilege to admit that as it's one of the most loved comics of the last 10 years, but I just struggled to connect with it and was really confused by what King was attempting to achieve with the story. The art work was awesome though! I'm assuming I'm the anomaly here and everyone else loved it?

bakabaka

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: ads82 on June 10, 2021, 01:23:58 PM
Just started Sweet Tooth (up to issue 7) and am immediately blown away by it. It's such a compelling read and at times frighteningly reminiscent of the recent coronavirus crisis. Is Lemire's other comics as good as this?

On the other hand, I've just read Tom King's Mister Miracle and was disappointed by it. I know that it's pretty much sacrilege to admit that as it's one of the most loved comics of the last 10 years, but I just struggled to connect with it and was really confused by what King was attempting to achieve with the story. The art work was awesome though! I'm assuming I'm the anomaly here and everyone else loved it?
It's been my fave Lemire comic so far. Though I have Underwater Welder to read which is supposedly ace. I read Black Hammer for a while. It started out so well, but I soon lost interest in it. I may go back to it at some point.
Not read Mister Miracle. His run on Vision was brilliant!

Magnum Valentino

With Jeff Lemire you absolutely cannot go wrong with anything he wrote AND drew with the exception of Lost Dogs which is like a demo tape or student film. So that means go ahead with The Nobody, The Underwater Welder, Trillium, Royal City and Essex County. Frogcatchers is the only one I haven't gotten around to yet.

I see there's a Sweet Tooth series started on Netflix last week but I've zero interest in it. Anyone else going to watch it?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on June 10, 2021, 11:57:43 AM

Have you read the recent Sweet Tooth: The Return six issue mini-series Artie? It's by no means essential (and I thought the ending was a bit rushed) but I liked it a fair bit.

Quote from: ads82 on June 10, 2021, 01:23:58 PM

I really enjoyed Mister Miracle until the final issue which I thought was quite poor, and soured me a little towards King.

Quote from: Mister Six on June 09, 2021, 05:05:17 PM
I love Annihilator, but I guess I have a high tolerance for unpleasant protagonists. The art is fantastic, too.

Yeah, I loved the art, and it's a story which has stayed with me, so I may have been too harsh before.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 10, 2021, 06:12:54 PM
With Jeff Lemire you absolutely cannot go wrong with anything he wrote AND drew with the exception of Lost Dogs which is like a demo tape or student film. So that means go ahead with The Nobody, The Underwater Welder, Trillium, Royal City and Essex County. Frogcatchers is the only one I haven't gotten around to yet.

I'm with you on that, I'm a big fan of Lemire's and would also recommend his run on Animal Man, though it works best if you're aware of Morrison's eighties take on the character.

QuoteI see there's a Sweet Tooth series started on Netflix last week but I've zero interest in it. Anyone else going to watch it?

A trusted friend of mine says it's fantastic, but I've also heard it's very faithful and doesn't offer up anything new, so I doubt I'll bother.

I picked up the first volume of Cerebus in a charity shop today, I know Dave Sim's a shit these days but I've heard good things about it so am keeping my fingers crossed I'll enjoy it.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 10, 2021, 06:38:57 PM
Have you read the recent Sweet Tooth: The Return six issue mini-series Artie? It's by no means essential (and I thought the ending was a bit rushed) but I liked it a fair bit.
Hey, SMBH. I haven't read, no. I noticed you mention this earlier while I was halfway through the original run, and I was going to get it. But having finished it, that ending was so perfect, I'm slightly scared about it being ruined by The Return?
I've still not read Dear Becky yet, as I loved how The Boys ended so much.
I probably will end up reading both, however. I just need to wallow in that ending for a while longer.
Mmmmmm.

bakabaka

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 10, 2021, 06:38:57 PM
I picked up the first volume of Cerebus in a charity shop today, I know Dave Sim's a shit these days but I've heard good things about it so am keeping my fingers crossed I'll enjoy it.

I hate to say this[nb]because I hate people telling me that a tv show is great but you have to wade through a season or five of crap before it gets good and you need to watch them all for it to make sense...[/nb], but it really picks up after Gerhard joins the team, which I think is in Volume 2[nb]I didn't start buying the books until the Hemmingway volume[/nb].

Having said that it keeps picking up from Issue 1 till about Issue 200, after which it carries on with its own momentum, just on the wrong track. One thing to remember (though I'm not sure if it makes any difference to the reading) is that in the early days Sim was right at the forefront of the development of Creators' Rights and independent comics, organising conferences, etc. So the first few issues really look like the self-published comics of the time but get more and more professional very quickly.

I was a massive Cerebus fanboi for the first decade or so and bought every issue when it came out (made a lot easier by my sister running a comic shop). I even sold my copy of Issue 1 to Dave Sim for enough money to cover the cost of moving house, and then the next 19 to cover the cost of moving again 3 years later. Sim planned on funding his retirement on selling back issues and (when I last heard it discussed) seemed to have most of the copies of Issue 1.

My only regret with Cerebus is that Gerhard didn't go on to become as respected and in-demand as someone like Brian Bolland. A huge loss to the comics industry.

I keep planning to reread them (I'm sure they'll read very differently in big chunks rather than monthly) but haven't got round to it yet.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on June 11, 2021, 12:11:15 PM
Hey, SMBH. I haven't read, no. I noticed you mention this earlier while I was halfway through the original run, and I was going to get it. But having finished it, that ending was so perfect, I'm slightly scared about it being ruined by The Return?
I've still not read Dear Becky yet, as I loved how The Boys ended so much.
I probably will end up reading both, however. I just need to wallow in that ending for a while longer.
Mmmmmm.

I can understand that, it shouldn't affect how you feel about it (it's set three hundred years after the events of the main series for one thing. which isn't a spoiler as it's revealed in the first issue) but it doesn't add much really and it's only a minor read in comparison to the original.

Quote from: bakabaka on June 11, 2021, 12:49:58 PM
I hate to say this[nb]because I hate people telling me that a tv show is great but you have to wade through a season or five of crap before it gets good and you need to watch them all for it to make sense...[/nb], but it really picks up after Gerhard joins the team, which I think is in Volume 2[nb]I didn't start buying the books until the Hemmingway volume[/nb].

Having said that it keeps picking up from Issue 1 till about Issue 200, after which it carries on with its own momentum, just on the wrong track. One thing to remember (though I'm not sure if it makes any difference to the reading) is that in the early days Sim was right at the forefront of the development of Creators' Rights and independent comics, organising conferences, etc. So the first few issues really look like the self-published comics of the time but get more and more professional very quickly.

I was a massive Cerebus fanboi for the first decade or so and bought every issue when it came out (made a lot easier by my sister running a comic shop). I even sold my copy of Issue 1 to Dave Sim for enough money to cover the cost of moving house, and then the next 19 to cover the cost of moving again 3 years later. Sim planned on funding his retirement on selling back issues and (when I last heard it discussed) seemed to have most of the copies of Issue 1.

My only regret with Cerebus is that Gerhard didn't go on to become as respected and in-demand as someone like Brian Bolland. A huge loss to the comics industry.

I keep planning to reread them (I'm sure they'll read very differently in big chunks rather than monthly) but haven't got round to it yet.

Thanks for all of that, it's really appreciated (and fascinating to hear about Sim buying up issues of his own comic!) and look forward to diving in to it over the weekend now.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 11, 2021, 02:13:09 PM
I can understand that, it shouldn't affect how you feel about it (it's set three hundred years after the events of the main series for one thing. which isn't a spoiler as it's revealed in the first issue) but it doesn't add much really and it's only a minor read in comparison to the original.

Thanks for all of that, it's really appreciated (and fascinating to hear about Sim buying up issues of his own comic!) and look forward to diving in to it over the weekend now.
Thanks!

Small Man Big Horse

Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe - Picked this up for £2 at a charity shop with very low expectations, I quite enjoyed the films but have read very little of the character so was intrigued as to what this might be like. Disappointingly it's quite bland, writer Cullen Bunn somewhat surprisingly makes the deaths of the majority of the superheroes and villains quite boring,
Spoiler alert
the Avengers are blown up by something called Pym Particles for instance which is no fun at all, and the others are either shot or stabbed in unimaginative ways. It's a very meta work, Cullen Bunn and the artists feature in the final issues for instance,
[close]
but while Deadpool delivers the odd amusing line this fails to be enjoyable even in a trashy, throwaway kind of manner, I know there's a sequel but I have absolutely no interest in read it. 1/5

bakabaka

Deadpool the Duck was similarly a huge disappointment. They merge into one (because) and proceed to be less interesting, cynical, satirical, or even just as funny as either of them were on their own. Howard the Duck was the precursor to Deadpool, but with more satire and world-weariness, an everyman ('Trapped In a World He Never Made!') misanthrope when written by Gerber. So it had loads of potential to give Deadpool a chance to be more biting and less flippant. But no, it tries too hard to make jokes that aren't funny, as if it was written by someone who doesn't understand humour, sadly.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bakabaka on June 13, 2021, 03:39:10 PM
Deadpool the Duck was similarly a huge disappointment. They merge into one (because) and proceed to be less interesting, cynical, satirical, or even just as funny as either of them were on their own. Howard the Duck was the precursor to Deadpool, but with more satire and world-weariness, an everyman ('Trapped In a World He Never Made!') misanthrope when written by Gerber. So it had loads of potential to give Deadpool a chance to be more biting and less flippant. But no, it tries too hard to make jokes that aren't funny, as if it was written by someone who doesn't understand humour, sadly.

If I'd seen that in a charity shop I'd definitely have bought it but won't now, it's a shame as the movies show the character has potential, but whenever I've read any of his comics I've been disappointed. Though what I have seen has been a drop in the ocean, and I'm sure there's some decent ones out there.

Cerebus Issues 1 and 2 - As you mentioned above the early issues do have that self-published look to them but I'm already fond of the art, the character is fun and though nothing amazing the plots were enjoyable, and so I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of it soon.

Small Man Big Horse

I don't want to judge this without reading it, but I can't say I like the idea of a young teen cartoonish Constantine. https://www.avclub.com/not-even-teen-constantine-can-save-the-mystery-of-the-m-1847091812

Mister Six

I'm sure the comic was written with tongue nestled firmly in cheek. If I were capable, I'd have killed to get that commission.

13 schoolyards

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl was easily one of the best Marvel comics of last decade, so I'm still keen for this one despite the central idea seeming a bit of a stretch. I guess Constantine is one of DC's high profile characters - movie, TV series, etc - so they're always going to push him to the front when it comes to trying new marketing angles