Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Yeah, was a "one shot" story, apparently.

The film rights have been bought by Brad Pitt, of all people.

I can imagine it'd be a good film, but I doubt it'd get anywhere near the atmosphere and feel of the book. Both of which will haunt me for a fair while!

Custard

Comixology could end up bankrupting me.

There was a DC sale last week, and I bought all four volumes of Batman's No Man's Land for 4 squid each. That's some excellent stuff right there. Some of the best Batman, I'd say. So well written and plotted.

Also got the Superman Brainiac series, and that is also ace. They should make that the next Supes film. Really well done

Now reading Greg Rucka's Punisher run. It's not as strong as Garth Ennis' Punisher Max run, but then not much is. Pretty good though

Also bought the first volume of Paper Girls, I Kill Giants, and 30 Days Of Night.

I feel a bit worried about buying digital stuff, and I would much rather have the physical books, but this flat can't house many more, and Mrs Custard might throw me out

It's very enjoyable reading comics on the go though, and having it all there on the phone whenever you want. I just worry Comixology will die one day, and it'll all vanish. Do I sound like a caveman?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 03, 2018, 04:03:28 PM
It's very enjoyable reading comics on the go though, and having it all there on the phone whenever you want. I just worry Comixology will die one day, and it'll all vanish. Do I sound like a caveman?

It may well die one day, not many websites last forever, but hopefully it should be around for a long while yet.

Being broke / evil I read all my comics for free - http://readcomiconline.to/ - but when I'm in work again I plan to start collecting again.

mikeyg27

Given that Comixology is owned by Amazon, I think worrying about it going bankrupt any time soon isn't worth the bother. It seems more likely that it ends up getting merged into Amazon proper and becomes Amazon Comics or some shit like that.

BeardFaceMan

It took me a long time to ween myself off CDs and go digital for my music, the thing that helped was that I could download the music and keep it on my hard drive so it still felt like i was buyimg something, even if it was just a .rar file. Theres no way I could pay to read a comic online, I'd need to have my own offline copy of it.

Spiteface

I love Comixology for monthly stuff. I buy comics to read, not bag & board them. I still prefer physical for collected editions etc though.

BeardFaceMan

I dont really like the format of monthly comics, too long inbetween each issue, I always wait for the trade now so I can read the story in one go, I havent bought monthlies for years. The only thing that would persuade me would be a downloadable digital version, not just paying to read it online. It would have to be quite a deal though to get over my preference of the physical with the digital. With books I'm starting to get used to reading them on a tablet, although still go paper when I can, but with a comic I really want to have the book in my hands to properly enjoy it, especially if its on nice paper or an oversized edition or something.

mikeyg27

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 03, 2018, 06:20:50 PM
It took me a long time to ween myself off CDs and go digital for my music, the thing that helped was that I could download the music and keep it on my hard drive so it still felt like i was buyimg something, even if it was just a .rar file. Theres no way I could pay to read a comic online, I'd need to have my own offline copy of it.

It depends on the publisher, but you can do this with Comixology - there's a Backups section of your account which features DRM-free downloads of CBZs and PDFs of stuff you have bought. I don't think Marvel or DC allow it, but Image do (and Oni) and most of my digital reading of their stuff is actually done by reading those files in Perfect Viewer off a micro-SD card (since my tablet has pretty low internal memory and the Comixology files can end up taking a lot of it up).

Comixology is great on a full-size tablet, but I find it pointless on a phone / mini-tablet or even a laptop screen. It might be alright on a decent sized desktop screen though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 30, 2018, 12:12:41 PM
Yes. It's prime Moore. One of my favourite things he's ever done.

I've read so much of Moore's work but for some unknown reason not Swamp Thing. At least until tonight, have just started it now and am enjoying it a lot.

Also, recently:

The Hellblazer 22 - Now written by Hack/Slash's Tim Seeley, it's pretty weak stuff. John's hanging out with The Huntress for some reason and Nergal's still trying to murder him, but it's melodramatic and fairly silly stuff, whilst the art's slightly cartoonish and disappointing as well. I've just learnt that it's been cancelled as of issue 24 and am quite pleased, especially as apparently Vertigo is being relaunched this year and there are rumours Hellblazer will become a mature readers series again.

Faith - As mentioned in an earlier post, I've now read everything that she's appeared in and fallen in love with the character. It's easily the most fun superhero comic I've read in ages, and would recommend it to all.

Dan Dare - Peter Milligan wrote a four issue mini-series recently that sees the Mekon captured and after years of therapy seemingly no longer evil. But is all as it seems? And what exactly is going on with that fuck off massive Treen ship which can blow up moons? This is by no means anything amazing but I'm fond of the character and Milligan captures him well, and I'm looking forward to a second mini-series that's due to start soon.

X-Men Wedding Special - Thought I'd give this a go due to the amusing title, but rather than being filled with marital fun it's about Kitty Pryde and her boyfriend's respective hen / stag do's, and it's dull and all a bit pointless. Boo.

The Walking Dead 179 - In which Robert Kirkman takes pot shots at the class system, and it's unsurprisingly incredibly tedious.

bgmnts

Kitty Pryde's boyfriend?

Is it the issue where she agrees to marry Caliban or is it Colossus? Or is this new?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bgmnts on June 06, 2018, 09:23:40 PM
Kitty Pryde's boyfriend?

Is it the issue where she agrees to marry Caliban or is it Colossus? Or is this new?

It's new, and she's marrying Colossus, though that doesn't actually happen in the issue itself.

Small Man Big Horse

News is starting to emerge about the new range of Vertigo titles: https://news.avclub.com/dc-to-relaunch-vertigo-line-with-new-books-from-ben-bla-1826650926

Justice League 1 - Written by Scott Snyder I thought I'd give it a shot as I know many rate him highly, but I found it a bit by the numbers. It's epic in scale but the various characters seem blandly written, whilst the art is a bit shoddy.

The Walking Dead 180 - The final part of New World Order storyline, except it isn't, as nothing has been resolved at all. Rick finally meets the leader of the Commonwealth and they argue a bit and look annoyed with each other and that's it. If I'd paid money for this I'd be furious.

Paper Girls - 1 - 3 - Only read the first three issues so far but I'm hooked. It's a weird mystery thing set in the eighties from Brian K. Vaughan and fuck knows quite what's happening to our gang of Paper Girls, but it looks awfully like the end of the world, except far more complicated than that.

samadriel

Haven't got vol 3 yet, but I was going to bring up Paper Girls -- I loved the fish-out-of-water stuff with the '80s kids in the modern day -- "Are we rich?!".  Interesting villains too.  I was a bit iffy on Y: The Last Man (although I haven't read all that much of that one), but with this and Saga, Vaughan can do no wrong for me.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: samadriel on June 08, 2018, 10:23:39 AM
Haven't got vol 3 yet, but I was going to bring up Paper Girls -- I loved the fish-out-of-water stuff with the '80s kids in the modern day -- "Are we rich?!".  Interesting villains too.  I was a bit iffy on Y: The Last Man (although I haven't read all that much of that one), but with this and Saga, Vaughan can do no wrong for me.

I'm a big fan of his as well, though Y The Last Man is my least favourite of his, I enjoyed it a certain extent but it isn't as imaginative as his recent work. I'm now up to date with Paper Girls and loved every minute of it, reading it on a monthly basis is going to be all rather annoying now.

Custard

Well, you're not wrong about the latest Walking Dead. What a damp fart

Been reading that RoboCop: Dead Or Alive series, that follows directly from the first film. It's not bad, but the writing is a little wobbly, and the dialogue can be a bit rubs

Bought the first Saga omnibus too, so looking forward to finally checking that series out

Small Man Big Horse

Doom Patrol 11 - A complete mess, I really don't like Way's run on this series, it's too forced, too wacky, without having any depth and all of the characters are thinly drawn. It's now been cancelled (along with everything under the Young Animal imprint) but Way is claiming he'll be bringing the series back at a later date unfortunately.

Also on a Doom Patrol note, there's to be a tv series coming soon - https://news.avclub.com/dc-universe-picks-up-a-live-action-doom-patrol-series-f-1826020957 - but unfortunately it's being produced by Greg Berlanti (of the CW DC Universe series infamy) and the pilot has been written by Jeremy Carver (the US Being Human, Frequency, some Supernatural episodes) so I can't imagine it'll be anything that special.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 07, 2018, 11:46:27 PM
The Walking Dead 180 - The final part of New World Order storyline, except it isn't, as nothing has been resolved at all. Rick finally meets the leader of the Commonwealth and they argue a bit and look annoyed with each other and that's it. If I'd paid money for this I'd be furious.

Yep, totally agree with that. Just read it too. Wtf! It's like everything RK's TWD is going to a shambolic fizzle. 

Small Man Big Horse

Descender 1 - 5 - Written by Jeff Lemire (who I'm extremely fond of) and published by Image, this is a big sci-fi epic where a bunch of enormous robots wipe out billions of people on various planets, only to then disappear. Ten years later our (mostly) human heroes discover there's a link to them in a range of child robots who were once popular but now only one exists, and unfortunately for all involved there's a bunch of alien scavanger types on a mission to destroy all robots as they're still dead annoyed about the various massacres a decade ago. Rereading that I know I've made it sound a bit shit but it is a lot of fun, the art's mostly beautiful, and it's a really intriguing mystery complete with a cast of great characters. It started in 2015 and is now up to issue 30, and reportedly beginning it's end game, which pleases as I'm not a fan of series which outstay their welcome.

bushwick

Has anyone read any of the recent GI Joe Vs Transformers comics? I've got the free comic book day issue but might have to get the rest. Real breath of fresh air - lovely cosmic psychedelic Kirbyish art, great page layouts and kinda sincere and fun, not super-ironic or grimdark. Not a million miles away from what Michael Fiffe does (I need to get some of his stuff too).

Small Man Big Horse

Plutona - A five issue mini-series from Jeff Lemire, I thought it was a bit shit unfortunately. When a bunch of kids find a dead superhero in the woods they aren't sure what to do, but it's all rather bland stuff and the art is very weak and far too cartoonish. Which is a real shame, and as mentioned above I normally like Lemire a great deal, but this is easily for me the worst thing he's done.

magval

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 13, 2018, 06:44:15 PM
Plutona - A five issue mini-series from Jeff Lemire, I thought it was a bit shit unfortunately. When a bunch of kids find a dead superhero in the woods they aren't sure what to do, but it's all rather bland stuff and the art is very weak and far too cartoonish. Which is a real shame, and as mentioned above I normally like Lemire a great deal, but this is easily for me the worst thing he's done.

I enjoyed it but remember nothing about it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: magval on June 13, 2018, 06:54:04 PM
I enjoyed it but remember nothing about it.

I wouldn't have been so harsh about it if I didn't feel Lemire fucked the ending completely. I didn't buy in to the idea that Plutona would leave behind children who are begging for her help, it wasn't in line with what we knew about the character previously and the way it all wrapped up felt like a damp squib too.

Small Man Big Horse

Judge Dredd Superfiend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRLlICw1UWk - Intentionally silly fan made Dredd cartoon which isn't very good. Starts off with the origin of Judge Death before bringing Rico and Dredd in to events, it's stylish but Dredd acts out of character and it's all a bit too daft and over the top in general for my liking.

Phil_A

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 17, 2018, 01:38:44 AM
Judge Dredd Superfiend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRLlICw1UWk - Intentionally silly fan made Dredd cartoon which isn't very good. Starts off with the origin of Judge Death before bringing Rico and Dredd in to events, it's stylish but Dredd acts out of character and it's all a bit too daft and over the top in general for my liking.

Urgh, I hate that. It was made by one of the producers of the Dredd movie but there is nothing official about it. He's a rich brat trading on the brand to boost his little vanity projects.

I recommend instead reading The Fall Of Deadworld, a non-canon re-telling of the Dark Judges origins with magnificently fucked-up art from Dave Kendall, which was apparently inspired by a nightmare.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Phil_A on June 17, 2018, 09:29:57 AM
Urgh, I hate that. It was made by one of the producers of the Dredd movie but there is nothing official about it. He's a rich brat trading on the brand to boost his little vanity projects.

I recommend instead reading The Fall Of Deadworld, a non-canon re-telling of the Dark Judges origins with magnificently fucked-up art from Dave Kendall, which was apparently inspired by a nightmare.

I thought it started off okay, sure it was deeply idiotic but Death's origin story entertained, but as soon as Dredd turned up it became bloody awful.

And thanks for the recommendation of The Fall of Deadworld, I shall check that out asap.

Small Man Big Horse

And I did, and I liked it a lot, so thank you again for the recommendation. Have a feeling given what we know about Judge Death that Jess Childs isn't going to be long for this world, but it'd be pleasing if she did somehow survive, as this is non-canon I guess there's a chance. The art is absolutely beautiful too, though I can imagine that'll mean it'll be a long old while before the series is finally complete.

I also read the most recent five issues of 2000AD but apart from Deathworld found it to be pretty dull. The Dredd strips were a disappointment, Durham Red is a character I'm fond of but this was by the numbers stuff, whilst I found Survival Geeks to be awful. I'm all for 2000AD having more humour in it but this was painfully unfunny.

Custard

Talking of Dredd, can anyone recommend any good stories from the past few years?

I've read a few of the Case Files, and America. Oh, and that Batman crossover thing.

Can anyone recommend any good 'uns?

Phil_A

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 17, 2018, 11:00:59 PM
And I did, and I liked it a lot, so thank you again for the recommendation. Have a feeling given what we know about Judge Death that Jess Childs isn't going to be long for this world, but it'd be pleasing if she did somehow survive, as this is non-canon I guess there's a chance. The art is absolutely beautiful too, though I can imagine that'll mean it'll be a long old while before the series is finally complete.

I also read the most recent five issues of 2000AD but apart from Deathworld found it to be pretty dull. The Dredd strips were a disappointment, Durham Red is a character I'm fond of but this was by the numbers stuff, whilst I found Survival Geeks to be awful. I'm all for 2000AD having more humour in it but this was painfully unfunny.

Not to worry, I think Tharg recognises the value of Deadworld as bit of a sleeper hit, it's been kept in pretty regular rotation since it began.

Heh, I see you didn't think Skip Tracer was even worth mentioning, and to be honest I can't believe they even thought it was worth commissioning. It's such a tired load of cyberpunk cliches with nothing other than the dependable Paul Marshall's art to recommend it. Unless there's some amazing surprise twist coming up I'm writing this one off as a bit of a dud. A Bison for the 2010s(now there's a deep cut).

Survival Geeks seems to be filling the same role as the very similar Bec & Kawl did a decade ago, a pop-culture savvy strip aimed at a younger audience than would typically go for 2000AD. Unfortunately that wasn't terribly successful or popular, and I'm not sure whether this is either. It's just trying too hard.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Phil_A on June 18, 2018, 07:12:46 PM
Not to worry, I think Tharg recognises the value of Deadworld as bit of a sleeper hit, it's been kept in pretty regular rotation since it began.

Heh, I see you didn't think Skip Tracer was even worth mentioning, and to be honest I can't believe they even thought it was worth commissioning. It's such a tired load of cyberpunk cliches with nothing other than the dependable Paul Marshall's art to recommend it. Unless there's some amazing surprise twist coming up I'm writing this one off as a bit of a dud. A Bison for the 2010s(now there's a deep cut).

Survival Geeks seems to be filling the same role as the very similar Bec & Kawl did a decade ago, a pop-culture savvy strip aimed at a younger audience than would typically go for 2000AD. Unfortunately that wasn't terribly successful or popular, and I'm not sure whether this is either. It's just trying too hard.

I completely agree with everything you say there. I used to like the odd lighthearted story (Hewligan's Haircut, Bradley) but Survival Geeks is just embarrassing when compared to those two. Hell, even Big Dave was better!

Black Hammer 1 - 13 - Another Jeff Lemire series, where a bunch of ageing superheros are mysteriously transported to a small town and unable to escape it, I read the first 9 issues of ages ago but forgot most of it due to smoking so much weed back then. Really enjoyed re-reading it, anyhow, along with the 4 new issues, and I definitely plan to read the new Age of Doom series when I have the time.

Spiteface

All-Change for Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers in a few months. New creative team after Shattered Grid ends, and with that a new team:

I'm weirded out that they're still calling it Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. At best ONE of them is from MMPR, and even this version of Pink, aka "Ranger Slayer" is an alternate reality version of Kimberly. The thing that got people interested though was blue guy in the bottom right. He's a ranger from Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger that never made it over into Power Rangers Dino Charge. This new team suggests that the original rangers aren't making it out of Shattered Grid alive, though. Tommy's already been offed by the evil alternate reality version of himself (same reality as Ranger Slayer).

Boom has been on fire with these though. They've even made Bulk and Skull tolerable.