Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Really enjoying 2000 AD at the moment, I think it's firing on all cylinders after a poor run of ten issues from the start of this year that contained not one but two incredibly ponderous Pat Mills borefests (Savage and The ABC Warriors).

Right now there's not just Damned, the latest book of Deadworld but script droid Kek-W's other ongoing series The Order, which some find impenetrable but I love. Quite liking the new Durham Red strip but I do miss Ezquerra's crazy take on her. Skip Tracer is like a relic from the 70's progs, some kind of Alan Hebden potboiler, and for that reason alone it's great. The Dredd strips are variable, can't say any of the stories from the last year or so have completely blown me away. The one-shots often miss the mark and the longer stories are often plain dull. For all the strip's flexibility it seems no-one can write Judge Dredd quite like John Wagner. 

And that last burst of Survival Geeks was fantastic! Though the fact it took so many swipes at Doctor Who might have had a lot to do with that.

Also Dan Abnett's phenomenal series Brink and Kingdom are returning soon.

Shaky

magval

Took a mighty effort not to reply to any of the hundreds of tweets I scrolled through last night proclaiming devastation - always "devastated" - that he'd died.

No-one knew a fucking thing about him and he hadn't worked high profile in decades.

Ditko was a great artist. Never got it when I was younger but now I'd take it over Romita on those early Spidey stories. It was cool as fuck too that he wanted his anonymity and he held onto to it right up until he died, like in this era that's a truly remarkable achievement. The people who did know him must have really respected him for nothing to EVER slip through, like. Unless no-one actually did know him.

Shame the Internet is full of people posting about how personally upset they are about it alongside Jack Kirby's cover for Amazing Fantasy 15, like, but such is the Internet. My own fault for looking.

Small Man Big Horse

Just read the latest Walking Dead which was tedious as ever, but the worst part is in the letters page where someone wrote in to tell the world that they've named their child Negan. I have of course already called child services.

Phil_A

Just been announced Duncan Jones is doing a Rogue Trooper movie. Huh!

https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/status/1018540768561004546

Rogue wouldn't have been my first choice to adapt(Strontium Dog is surely crying out for it), but still really good news for future 2000AD projects in general if they can get a name like Jones attached.

Now if only that Mega City One series would emerge from development hell...

Sin Agog

Re-read Warren Ellis' Freakangels last week.  Wish he'd do more stuff like this, as even though some of the Britpop-era references sound a bit twee today, it's still one of the best hang-out comics I've ever read.

Also re-reading Drifting Classroom, a manga from the '70s about a school whisked throuh time into a perilous future. Seem to recall that this was published in a pretty family-friendly magazine, which is bizarre, as it was completely brutal at times (obviously it pre-empted Battle Royale) and with a distinct eldritch, Weird Fiction aura that I love.  One of the best manga out there, fo' sho'.  The guy who did Hausu made a pretty fun, schlocky movie of it in the '80s, though from what I can remember the plot got pretty bowlderised.  Still worth watching, as is a lot of his post-Hausu stuff.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Phil_A on July 16, 2018, 09:03:23 PM
Just been announced Duncan Jones is doing a Rogue Trooper movie. Huh!

https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/status/1018540768561004546

Rogue wouldn't have been my first choice to adapt(Strontium Dog is surely crying out for it), but still really good news for future 2000AD projects in general if they can get a name like Jones attached.

Now if only that Mega City One series would emerge from development hell...

I was a bit disappointed by the news, I've never been a huge fan of Rogue Trooper, the original run had it's moments but it's not a series I've ever loved (and the Friday vs. even less so, indeed that was one of the dullest series 2000AD ever published). Given all of the series that have been created over the years it's frustrating that something more interesting wasn't chosen.

studpuppet

Did enjoy seeing this posted by PJ Holden on Twitter earlier in response to what the fourth slot was for.

Just finished Sweet Tooth , which was immensely satisfying. I couldn't really predict where the story was going at all, which is always good too given the cliches that can riddle the genre. Had me all welling up at a few parts, which is very unusual for a comic. Reminded me of Lone Wolf and Cub a bit.
Just started Descenders (thanks SMBH) again an extremely immersing universe and storyline so far. Both of these are by Jeff Lemire, anyone got any further recommendations of his work? He is bloody good.

chveik

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on July 18, 2018, 01:49:16 AM
Just finished Sweet Tooth , which was immensely satisfying. I couldn't really predict where the story was going at all, which is always good too given the cliches that can riddle the genre. Had me all welling up at a few parts, which is very unusual for a comic. Reminded me of Lone Wolf and Cub a bit.
Just started Descenders (thanks SMBH) again an extremely immersing universe and storyline so far. Both of these are by Jeff Lemire, anyone got any further recommendations of his work? He is bloody good.

Trillium and The Underwater Welder are great.
I was quite moved by Sweet Tooth too.

Quote from: chveik on July 18, 2018, 02:17:39 AM
Trillium and The Underwater Welder are great.
I was quite moved by Sweet Tooth too.

I have a copy of The Underwater Welder, I bought in 2012 I think. I will dig it out as I can't really remember it now. Will also check out Trillium, thanks.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on July 18, 2018, 01:49:16 AM

I'm a big fan of Jeff Lemire's, and would recommend Black Hammer, and his run on Animal Man to start off with, though it helps if you've read Grant Morrison's superb 1990's take on the character. The only series of his I wasn't a fan of was Plutona, which ended weakly, but otherwise it's rare I wouldn't recommend something by him.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 18, 2018, 04:11:39 PM
I'm a big fan of Jeff Lemire's, and would recommend Black Hammer, and his run on Animal Man to start off with, though it helps if you've read Grant Morrison's superb 1990's take on the character. The only series of his I wasn't a fan of was Plutona, which ended weakly, but otherwise it's rare I wouldn't recommend something by him.

I have read BlackHammer up until it finished its first series last year, I think. Has it restarted then? Iirc The original BH's daughter disappeared. Again, brillliant and didn't realise it was Lemire's work until now. He really does seem to be a pretty brilliant writer/artist.
I also have Grant Morrison's Animal Man omnibus, which to my shame I have still not read as yet. Bought a load of books over the years and missed a few as moved house a few times and boxed a lot up and plum forgot I had em. Cheers for that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on July 18, 2018, 04:20:57 PM
I have read BlackHammer up until it finished its first series last year, I think. Has it restarted then? Iirc The original BH's daughter disappeared. Again, brillliant and didn't realise it was Lemire's work until now. He really does seem to be a pretty brilliant writer/artist.
I also have Grant Morrison's Animal Man omnibus, which to my shame I have still not read as yet. Bought a load of books over the years and missed a few as moved house a few times and boxed a lot up and plum forgot I had em. Cheers for that.

Yeah, it restarted a few months ago under the title Black Hammer: Age of Doom, and there's a couple of spin-off comics like Sherlock Frankenstein and the Legion of Evil, The Quantum Age and Doctor Star & The Kingdom Of Lost Tomorrows. And I hope you enjoy Animal Man, it's one of my all time favourite series, though after Morrison left it's not worth reading.

Thanks again SMBH you have opened me up to some fantatsic stuff there, really appreciate that.

I also read the excellent Big Man Plans just recently too. Another very emotive storyline of revenge and redemptionstudded with complete brutality and violence Highly recommended, for those that sorta thing.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/big-man-plans

Another one that has been running for a number of years, that I completely missed when it came out is The Killer https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killer_(comics)  An epic tale of a nameless assasin and the various situations that he becomes embroiled in when things don't go to plan.

I will need to post a bit more here as as binging on loads of stuff recently due to having some time on my hands to do some reading, for a change. Hence my post count has gone up a bit in the past few days too.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on July 18, 2018, 08:02:43 PM

Another one that has been running for a number of years, that I completely missed when it came out is The Killer https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killer_(comics)  An epic tale of a nameless assasin and the various situations that he becomes embroiled in when things don't go to plan.

Loved this, yeah. So cool. I can't seem to find the final volume anywhere, though (digital).

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on July 19, 2018, 11:52:56 AM
Loved this, yeah. So cool. I can't seem to find the final volume anywhere, though (digital).

If you do a quick google search on it you will def get in on digital 😉

BeardFaceMan

I'm getting into crime and noir stuff, Brian Azzarello, Ed Brubaker, that sort of thing. What authors/series should I be giving a go?

Small Man Big Horse

I read nineteen issues of Old Man Logan by Jeff Lemire last night and enjoyed it a fair bit. It's not his best work but it's an enjoyable enough romp, and the art is mostly beautiful stuff. I wouldn't recommend anyone buying it as each issue only took about three or four minutes to read, but it's available to view online at: http://readcomiconline.to/ (along with a ridiculous amount of other comics).

Also, a while back we discussed whether there were any decent comic news and reviews sites and I couldn't find any, but I've recently discovered http://www.multiversitycomics.com/ which isn't brilliant but does at least cover more unusual stuff, and has led me to checking out some cool comics i'd have missed otherwise.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 19, 2018, 02:47:18 PM
I'm getting into crime and noir stuff, Brian Azzarello, Ed Brubaker, that sort of thing. What authors/series should I be giving a go?

I will have a rifle about in my boxes but straight away I will say Criminal. It's a bit cliched but gritty and noir to the max.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_(comics)

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on July 19, 2018, 06:11:46 PM

I will have a rifle about in my boxes but straight away I will say Criminal. It's a bit cliched but gritty and noir to the max.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_(comics)

Yeah that was the series that started me off on noir. I fell in love with the painting of a bloke with a broken nose smoking a fag on the cover of one of the collected editions of Criminal and had to get it, I'd love a big fuck off poster of that painting, I don't know what it is, its just mesmerising. I've read pretty much all Brubakers stuff now (apart from his straight superhero comics), I'm looking for somewhere to go next.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 19, 2018, 06:31:23 PM
Yeah that was the series that started me off on noir. I fell in love with the painting of a bloke with a broken nose smoking a fag on the cover of one of the collected editions of Criminal and had to get it, I'd love a big fuck off poster of that painting, I don't know what it is, its just mesmerising. I've read pretty much all Brubakers stuff now (apart from his straight superhero comics), I'm looking for somewhere to go next.

I totally agree. That was my first book too and I love the cover. The Deluxe Edition I think it was.
Have you read any Richard Stark's Parker based on the 1950's novels and adapted by Darwin Cooke?
Again brilliant noir pulp. A total cliche story again but so brilliantly written and illustrated.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on July 19, 2018, 06:43:17 PM
I totally agree. That was my first book too and I love the cover. The Deluxe Edition I think it was.
Have you read any Richard Stark's Parker based on the 1950's novels and adapted by Darwin Cooke?
Again brilliant noir pulp. A total cliche story again but so brilliantly written and illustrated.

I have yeah, but thats reminded me that I grabbed all the Parker novels after reading the first Cooke adaption, think I only read the first novel though, I'll have to go back to those. I think i got Parker overload, reading the novel, the graphic novel and the Mel Gibson film all based on the same story. I much prefer a graphic novel to a regular novel these days too.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 19, 2018, 03:08:02 PM
I read nineteen issues of Old Man Logan by Jeff Lemire last night and enjoyed it a fair bit. It's not his best work but it's an enjoyable enough romp, and the art is mostly beautiful stuff. I wouldn't recommend anyone buying it as each issue only took about three or four minutes to read, but it's available to view online at: http://readcomiconline.to/ (along with a ridiculous amount of other comics).

I've finished Lemire's run on the series now, which ended at issue 24. It was a great ending and very satisfying, which is why it's a shame a new writer (Ed Brisson) took over from issue 25 onwards. Not that it's bad in any way, but it just isn't anything that special.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 19, 2018, 08:06:07 PM
I've finished Lemire's run on the series now, which ended at issue 24. It was a great ending and very satisfying, which is why it's a shame a new writer (Ed Brisson) took over from issue 25 onwards. Not that it's bad in any way, but it just isn't anything that special.

Just about to start Old Man Logan now. Descenders is fucking excellent. What a great story. It reminds me a bit of The Incal with its crazy Universe!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on July 19, 2018, 11:29:09 PM
Just about to start Old Man Logan now. Descenders is fucking excellent. What a great story. It reminds me a bit of The Incal with its crazy Universe!

I love Descenders too but I'm glad it's coming to an end this month, a series like this is far more effective when there's a proper ending and it doesn't outstay it's welcome.

chveik

You should also check out the two new series of Lemire, Royal City and Gideon Falls, they're pretty good.

edit: And A.D. After Death, with Scott Snyder, which is very experimental but wonderful nonetheless.

magval

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 19, 2018, 07:50:53 PM
Look at this.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-power-pack-of-ken-reid-books#/

I wish I could afford it.

Holy shit. What a deadly find. I read the Faceache volume that Rebellion put out at Christmas and loved every page of it. I'll be buying one of these for sure.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chveik on July 20, 2018, 01:22:57 PM
You should also check out the two new series of Lemire, Royal City and Gideon Falls, they're pretty good.

edit: And A.D. After Death, with Scott Snyder, which is very experimental but wonderful nonetheless.

Cool, thanks for that, shall add them to my reading list.