Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:51:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Quote from: magval on September 05, 2018, 08:13:53 PM
I've been meaning to ask this but always forget, so the recent Moore talk has given me a good reminder:

Is Alan Moore likely to be a millionaire? He's written at least one book (Watchmen) that as far as I know hasn't ever been out of print. Surely even before he severed his DC ties he made a fair bit of money off of that, V and the others.

I know he lives a supposedly very modest lifestyle, but aye, what do you think? Millionaire like?

I don't think he gets royalties for his DC work due to their dodgy contract practices, e.g. he was promised the Watchmen rights would revert to him and Gibbons once it went out of print, and it well never, ever go out of print for this reason.

I think he had a nice little earner going from film adaptations until the League Of Extraordinary Gentleman disaster (which led to him being dragged into a court case by another writer claiming the film had plagiarised their work), at which point he insisted on never receiving money or credit from any subsequent films.

Probably has enough squirreled away to live comfortably, I would say.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Phil_A on September 05, 2018, 10:55:12 PM
I don't think he gets royalties for his DC work due to their dodgy contract practices, e.g. he was promised the Watchmen rights would revert to him and Gibbons once it went out of print, and it well never, ever go out of print for this reason.

I think he had a nice little earner going from film adaptations until the League Of Extraordinary Gentleman disaster (which led to him being dragged into a court case by another writer claiming the film had plagiarised their work), at which point he insisted on never receiving money or credit from any subsequent films.

Probably has enough squirreled away to live comfortably, I would say.

I heard he put a fair bit of money in to Dodgem Logic, and didn't make much back. Like you say I'm sure he's comfortable enough though given his output over the years. Plus I imagine Stewart Lee paid him loads for Content Provider!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 05, 2018, 10:30:42 AM
Just finished 'My Friend Dahmer', by Derf Backderf. Grimly fascinating. An account of Dahmer's high school days as told by a classmate of his. How high school authorities/parents didn't pick up on him is astounding.
Loved the artwork, and the storytelling was great.

Can anyone recommend anything similar to this kinda thang?
nb; I've also just read Green River Killer by Jeff Jensen

Small Man Big Horse

I plan to start a thread for this when it's about to air, but I'm starting to get all a bit excited about the Doom Patrol tv series now. It's just been announced that Timothy Dalton will be playing Niles Caulder, whilst the rest of the cast includes Brendan Fraser as Robotman, April Bowlby as Elasti-Woman, Dwain Murphy as Negative Man, Diane Guerrero as Crazy Jane, whilst Alan Tudyk will play the series' villain, Mr. Nobody. The fact that the latter is in it really makes me hope it'll be heavily influenced by Grant Morrison's run on the series, and that they've managed to get such a strong cast as the scripts are decent.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 07, 2018, 03:08:44 AM
I plan to start a thread for this when it's about to air, but I'm starting to get all a bit excited about the Doom Patrol tv series now.
Diane Guerrero as Crazy Jane
I've just started to read vol 1 of Morrison's run on this, thanks to your post. Loving it already. Nice and weird.
I'm sure this has already been said many a time, but, wow!; https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=split&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari
I adored this film, and Unbreakable, and I'm really looking forward to Mr Glass. But now I'm aware of Doom Patrol, specifically Crazy Jane, isn't it, well, a bit of a rip off....?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 08, 2018, 10:01:01 AM
I've just started to read vol 1 of Morrison's run on this, thanks to your post. Loving it already. Nice and weird.
I'm sure this has already been said many a time, but, wow!; https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=split&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari
I adored this film, and Unbreakable, and I'm really looking forward to Mr Glass. But now I'm aware of Doom Patrol, specifically Crazy Jane, isn't it, well, a bit of a rip off....?

Possibly, but there have been other representations of dissociative identity disorder (like The United States Of Tara) so I don't know whether or not Doom Patrol was a direct influence. Wouldn't surprise me at all though.

magval

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 19, 2018, 07:50:53 PM
Look at this.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-power-pack-of-ken-reid-books#/

I wish I could afford it.

Here's an update on this.

The Kickstarter has ended but the guy that started it and put the books together is selling them directly on Ebay with postage from Lithuania. I found this out purely by accident as my local Forbidden Planet also has a few copies of each book for £25 a pop, which is cheaper than the direct sales. They look and feel absolutely brilliant and I'd recommend picking them up before they're gone forever. Can't have too much of Ken Reid really.

Small Man Big Horse

Megalex Vol's 1 - 3 - Written by Alejandro Jodorowsky and drawn by Fred Beltran. On a mysterious planet somewhere in the universe a futuristic society is policed by a selection of clones who only live for 400 days, in a world which isn't a million miles away from that of Judge Dredd's, though it initially appears this is a slightly less insane version of that. But when the cloning process goes wrong and an anomaly is created we soon learn that there's an underground city full of freakish types, all of whom want to bring nature, love and culture back in to this sterile world. Sometimes the dialogue's a little on the nose, and I don't know if the lead female characters really needed such freakishly large breasts (actually I do, and they don't), but it's an inventive lark with quite stunning art (though oddly it's slightly less impressive in the third volume despite being by the same artist), even if it's a bit silly in places and by no means anywhere near as good as Jodorowsky's films.

Small Man Big Horse

Ever wanted to see Batman's penis? Now thanks to Batman: Damned, you can: (NSFW) https://www.cbr.com/batman-damned-nude-dc-black-label/ It's not bad either. Not amazing, but I quite like it.

Edit: Just read the comic and penis aside it's pretty shit. Grim dark nonsense, with John Constantine feeling out of place in Gotham.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 19, 2018, 11:44:13 PM
Ever wanted to see Batman's penis? Now thanks to Batman: Damned, you can: (NSFW) https://www.cbr.com/batman-damned-nude-dc-black-label/ It's not bad either. Not amazing, but I quite like it.

Edit: Just read the comic and penis aside it's pretty shit. Grim dark nonsense, with John Constantine feeling out of place in Gotham.

When will they let go of the grimness? (I still reckon that the joker wearing his own face is a low point.)
Why censor the online version? If anything, online should give you the option - or is this because Comixology has no age gate?

Do you think he needed the batpenis vetted? Not too big, not too small, cowl or no cowl.
Or were DC editorial recently surprised to get a call along the lines of "YOU CAN SEE HIS WHAT...?!?"

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kidsick5000 on September 20, 2018, 08:57:19 PM
When will they let go of the grimness? (I still reckon that the joker wearing his own face is a low point.)
Why censor the online version? If anything, online should give you the option - or is this because Comixology has no age gate?

Do you think he needed the batpenis vetted? Not too big, not too small, cowl or no cowl.
Or were DC editorial recently surprised to get a call along the lines of "YOU CAN SEE HIS WHAT...?!?"

I can't see the grimness ever going when it comes to Batman unfortunately, even in Tom King's run on the main series Dick Grayson's just been shot in the head. Which is all rather bleak.

I'm sure they had long conversations about the batpenis, and I wish they'd recorded them as I'd pay to listen! Seems like they've regretted doing such a thing though as it's now going to be censored in all future printings. https://news.avclub.com/dc-now-trying-to-censor-batmans-dick-like-this-isnt-go-1829215004

Clive Langham

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 19, 2018, 11:44:13 PM

Just had a look at Batman: Damned and it's embarrassing (and I don't mean the dick.) Azzarello riffing on Alan Moore is just clunky and dreadful.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Clive Langham on September 23, 2018, 09:02:23 PM
Just had a look at Batman: Damned and it's embarrassing (and I don't mean the dick.) Azzarello riffing on Alan Moore is just clunky and dreadful.

Yeah, I like Azzarello from time to time but this really is awful.

The Amazing Screw-On Head - As I watched the Bryan Fuller pilot for it again I thought I'd check it out, and it's okay but there's not that much to it and I prefer the animated version.

Immortal Hulk 5 and 6 - I was quite enamoured with the first four issues but am starting to lose interest now a little, especially as the Avengers have turned up for a big fight. Will stick with it for a bit but if it doesn't improve I might give up.

Black Hammer Age of Doom 5 - I love this series so much but it's painfully slow reading it from month to month. The first 10 pages were all but a recap and didn't give us that much new information, and whilst the big mystery has been resolved I think I'm going to stop reading for a while and wait until there's six or so issues to binge.

Buffy Season 12 issues 1 - 3 - Pretty bland stuff, even though it's suggesting that everything's going to go wrong for Buffy in a horrendous way. Issue 4 is the final one under the Dark Horse imprint and next year Boom Studio's are taking over publishing it, and it looks like they're going to ditch the future seasons idea and return to telling stories about Buffy in high school, which I hope is the case as then I'll finally have a good reason to stop reading it.

Mister Miracle 11 - Brutal stuff, but I'm still loving it a great deal, and can't wait to see how King wraps everything up next issue.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 23, 2018, 10:21:24 PM
Immortal Hulk 5 and 6 - I was quite enamoured with the first four issues but am starting to lose interest now a little, especially as the Avengers have turned up for a big fight. Will stick with it for a bit but if it doesn't improve I might give up.

Really REALLY disapointed with this series. Read the first 2 issues the other day. Mweh.
So loved Doom Patrol, however. Thanks for posting about it, SMBH!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 24, 2018, 09:59:31 AM
Really REALLY disapointed with this series. Read the first 2 issues the other day. Mweh.

Ah, I quite liked it, at least for a Marvel comic, but then I am reading it for free and it's definitely declining in quality now.

QuoteSo loved Doom Patrol, however. Thanks for posting about it, SMBH!

Really glad you liked it so much as it's easily one of my favourite series. Have you ever read Morrison's run on Animal Man? That was written around the same time and whilst quite different I'm also extremely fond of it.

Artie Fufkin

magval

One of the best runs ever, as anyone'll tell ya. It's a classic.

Small Man Big Horse

Paper Girls 23, 24 - Still a really great comic and an enormous amount of fun, but I hope it's not something that runs and runs as it could overstay it's welcome. Something like 40 issues sounds about right to me.

The Wild Storm 1 - Only just started this latest Warren Ellis comic but I'm really liking what I've seen of it so far, it has lots of interesting ideas and the art's great too.

Buffy Season 12 Issue 4 - Well that's it then, the end (for the time being at least) of future Buffy stories. It's fairly weak stuff unfortunately, with the Big Bad dispatched rather easily, Illyria (and thus Fred) sent to hell without anyone really caring that much, whilst Buffy and Faith end up joining the police's supernatural division. The final pages give everyone a happy ending, bar Angel who's still brooding a lot, but I can't say I really care anymore. I'm really glad it's finally over, sure nobody forced me to read it but at times it showed promise so I stuck with it, only to be disappointed far too often.

Edit: Injection 11 - 15 - Forgot to mention I read this last night, I like this series a fair bit but Ellis seems to write only about five issues a year and then there's a painful gap before the next batch are released. Issue 16 was supposed to be released in 2018 but the series is now on hiatus, though not cancelled, but who knows when it'll finally come out. So I'll probably wait a few years until it's all over before reading it again.

Small Man Big Horse

John Wick 1 - Hilariously bad.

Battlestar Galactica vs Battlestar Galactica 1 & 2 - I discovered the existence of this due to it being mentioned in the above comic, where the crew of the 1978 series face off against the 2003 version. God knows who thought this would be a good idea, but it's written by Peter David who sometimes is able to create vaguely readable stuff so I thought I'd give it a shot. And it's not a complete disaster and vaguely bemusing. I mean I wouldn't pay money for it in a million years but as a free read it passes the time. I might even read some more of it one day, if I get really bored.

Norton Canes

2000 AD prog 2100 out this week - another jumping-on edition

(Clicky for bigger image)

New chapters of Dan Abnett's phenomenal stories Brink and Kingdom should by themselves make the next few weeks' progs essential purchases. In addition this one has the start of a new 10-episode Dredd story, as well as Sinister Dexter, Anderson and Fiends of the Eastern Front 1812, a prequel to the golden age classic.

Oh, and more Skip Tracer. Yeah.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 26, 2018, 04:07:15 PM

New chapters of Dan Abnett's phenomenal stories Brink and Kingdom should by themselves make the next few weeks' progs essential purchases. In addition this one has the start of a new 10-episode Dredd story, as well as Sinister Dexter, Anderson and Fiends of the Eastern Front 1812, a prequel to the golden age classic.

The last few jumping on issues I've meant to.....jump on, then baulked. I think I may do it this time.

magval

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 26, 2018, 12:11:55 AM
God knows who thought this would be a good idea, but it's written by Peter David who sometimes is able to create vaguely readable stuff so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Is this sarcasm boss, because Peter David is a brilliant writer. This sounds like shit but he has decades of classics to his name.

Phil_A

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 26, 2018, 04:07:15 PM

(Clicky for bigger image)

Holy shit, 10 part Williams/Flint Dredd, they're bringing out the big guns. Seems more obvious than ever that Williams is now the key writer in shaping the current direction of the Dredd universe, no bad thing. The fact he also got the gig on the Mega City One TV series shows how much faith Rebellion are putting in him, he's pretty much their star player.

Skip Tracer is doing the alternating artists thing, previously Paul Marshall and now Colin MacNeil. I'm guessing that means they're planning on it being a regular thing, a la Sinister Dexter? Hmm.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: magval on September 26, 2018, 05:57:39 PM
Is this sarcasm boss, because Peter David is a brilliant writer. This sounds like shit but he has decades of classics to his name.

It probably was a bit harsh on him, I'm not a huge fan and wouldn't put him up with the best out there, but I do agree that he has produced some strong stuff over the years. Battlestar Galactica vs Battlestar Galactica's a lesser work though, I'm sure hardcore fans will like it but I doubt any one who wasn't aware of the characters would get on with it.

Phil_A

Norm Breyfogle has died. Oddly he had been on my mind the last couple of days as I remembered he'd suffered a stroke in 2015 and was having to crowdfund to pay his medical bills, and I was wondering how he was doing. Probably not well, it turns out :(

https://www.cbr.com/norm-breyfogle-dead-at-58/

Chriddof

Although I'm no longer much of a fan of superhero comics, this has really saddened me, and the fact that he'd had a stroke had completely passed me by. I always liked his art style in those late 80s / early 90s Batman comics, which was a bit like Frank Miller's art, only that it actually looked good, "read" properly and was refined to a point that it all worked on page, as opposed to Miller's whose art was a bit all over the place with the random splotches of black and weird lines in places they shouldn't be.

Breyfogle's style was some the earliest superhero comic book art I was able to both recognise and know precisely who drew it just from looking at any given panel. I was always pleased if I bought one of those official UK reprintings of a Batman comic (with the pages massively blown up to fit an A4 sized magazine page) and it was him drawing the insides.

Small Man Big Horse

That is sad news, when I was really in to Detective Comics he was the artist on it, and I really loved his work. 58 is no age to go either.

magval

Small Man Big Horse

The Wild Storm 2 - 17 - Really loved this, it's some of Warren Ellis's best work in years and I loved how he gradually introduces the characters from The Authority in to proceedings. It's only got 6 issues left to run but I hope he then spins it off in to a new series set in that universe.

Heroes In Crisis - Tom King's big DC series, it's a bit too grim for my liking with Harley Quinn repeatedly knifing Booster Gold, and then the revelation that Booster might be responsible for murdering a fuck load of superheroes. The art's lovely and I am intrigued by the idea of their being a psychiatric hospital for damaged superheroes, and will probably read a couple more issues, but I can't say I particularly liked the first issue.

jobotic