Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:02:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

Saga volume 8 is released on December 27th. Whilst I am delighted, I can't fathom why they didn't push it forward by a couple of weeks to catch the Xmas market.

bushwick

Quote from: Swoz_MK on December 13, 2017, 03:09:32 PM
Benjamin Marra is my favourite current artist. Just amazing. Didn't think the Night Business collection was out for a while yet so that's good news. I've got issues 1-4 and been waiting for a conclusion for a good while now so good news.

Gangsta Rap Posse and the rest of the books collected in American Blood are fantastic but Terror Assaulter is just incredible. Bafflingly graphic and so funny.

Yes! Saw his work by chance a few years ago, hadn't paid attention to comics for ages. Bought Terror Assaulter and it blew me away. American Blood is great too, but Christ, Terror Assaulter is next level. Got me back in to comics - reading em and making em. And through Marra's work I've got into Real Deal Comix (which I never saw in the 90s) and lots of Bronze Age stuff that I'd forgotten about. I am going to send the man a fan letter (and show him my comics).

Swoz_MK

Ah yes, Real Deal had a page in Grand Royal magazine once but at 15 I don't think I really appreciated it. Just seen Fantagraphics put a collection out so I'll grab that.

bushwick

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on December 13, 2017, 08:33:39 AM
Awww, man ! Thanks for reminding me about this. Love Corben.

It's a good series, traditional EC horror type stuff. The art is amazing like you'd expect - he's a bit looser/quicker/cartoony in places but he's 77 now. I reckon drawing powerful shit must keep you powerful in old age.

He self-censors his nudity now which is fuckin weird, little white stars over nipples and stuff.

Small Man Big Horse

The Walking Dead 174 - A whole issue devoted to Negan! Christ, Kirkman really does know how to annoy people. Anyhow, in the issue he bumps in to Maggie who wants to kill him but then he cries a lot so she decides not to. Fucking hell.

Serge

This Chris Ware Monograph is a fucking amazing thing. I spent a couple of hours looking through it last night, and every inch of it is a feast for the eyes. I don't know how the hell they're knocking it out for £45, I would have expected it to be about twice that.

Gulftastic

Bargains to be had at Travelling Man at the moment. I got a hardback copy of Neil Adams 'Arrival Of The Supermen*' for less than a fiver. I also got a couple of DC trade paperbacks for less than four quid.

*shit. I respect Adams, but this was pish poor.

BritishHobo

I'm reading the third volume of the Peanuts collection (it's my birthday soon and I want ALL OF THE REST OF THEM THANK YOU) and page 9 has already given me my first proper uncontrollable laughter. It's that thing of when you don't expect something to continue over several strips, but Schulz keeps it going. Lucy bothers Charlie Brown with a daft theory about how snow comes up (like grass or flowers) not down. It's funny. Then you go to the next one and she's still enthusiastically shouting about her theory. Then in the next she's watching the snow and crowing about being right. And it just keeps going and going.

Spiteface

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 21, 2017, 01:45:51 PM
The Walking Dead 174 - A whole issue devoted to Negan! Christ, Kirkman really does know how to annoy people. Anyhow, in the issue he bumps in to Maggie who wants to kill him but then he cries a lot so she decides not to. Fucking hell.

Latest one was Negan-free and had an interesting revelation about this latest new community our heroes are coming into contact with (the one that Eugene was talking to a member from over the radio), which is that: Elodie, Michonne's daughter, missing since the outbreak, may still be alive. Her photo is seen on a noticeboard in The Commonwealth.

Walking Dead has obviously been repeating itself with them coming into contact with hostile groups and going to war with them, but if they actually don't go that route here and just have their world expanding even further, working with "The Commonwealth" - that would be nice. If they have to have more conflict, I'd rather a Civil War or something. Maggie is obviously not OK with Negan being free, I could see her and Rick clashing over that.

Phil_A

Was a bit saddened to read today that artist Jim Baikie passed away at the end of last year. He was best known for his work on 2000AD and Crisis but was a mainstay in the British comics press for decades.

A fulsome tribute from John Freeman at Down The Tubes:

http://downthetubes.net/?p=42074

samadriel

I know the first Flintstones trade is tops.

Swoz_MK

I have Snagglepuss #1 which is fantastic, looking forward to the rest.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: studpuppet on January 18, 2018, 03:21:50 PM
Is it me? These look like fun:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2018/jan/18/dc-is-not-kidding-around-with-hanna-barbera-reworkings-for-adults

QuoteThe series has had largely positive reviews (though, if you listen carefully you can hear the distant wail of a male voice decrying the ruin of his childhood).
I wonder if anyone's actually said this, or if it's just default language that all articles about things being updated must carry?

Glebe

Oh yeah, I had Batman: Hush sitting around for awhile there and I finally read it the other week. Enjoyed it, although it maybe could have done without the likes of Superdog turning up.

holyzombiejesus

Just read Fante Bukowski 2 which is really good, especially if you're familiar with the old Bukowski tropes. It's even printed so it looks like a Black Sparrow Press book.

magval

Quote from: Glebe on January 21, 2018, 05:11:20 AM
Oh yeah, I had Batman: Hush sitting around for awhile there and I finally read it the other week. Enjoyed it, although it maybe could have done without the likes of Superdog turning up.

I always felt like it was a really good Scooby Doo episode in a Batman outfit. It's been that long since I read it though that I can no longer remember why.

bgmnts

Almost done with V for Vendetta. Along with The League of Extraordinary Gentleman and Watchman I still haven't read anything bad by Alan Moore, you mileage may vary of course.

Maybe Lost Girls and From Hell are shite but i'm confident.

I rarely read comic books but had a period last year where I invested in quite a few X books, as they're the only comic franchise I loved as a kid. I understand the industry is in a real mess at the moment but is there anything X universe related I can dip my toe in? I'm semi aware of the events of the last decade or two, House of M, no more mutants, new generation of mutants, Hope etc. And then it went ALL NEW right? The run I have is the first ten issues or so of All New X Men but a bit stuck, been a year or so.

Sin Agog

His take on Lovecraft, Neonomicon, is a bit dodge, what with it consisting of a Scully-esque sex addict getting graphically raped by a tentacle monster for several days, then going back to work right afterwards as if nothing happened.  But otherwise, yeah he's a good 'un.

Reading Children of the Sea right now, and am overwhelmed at the way Igarashi captures that vast, overwhelming feeling of fathomless depths. The kind of awe that hovers between awful and awe-inspiring.  Amazing artist.  Plus it's all couched in a lovely, rheumy coming of age story full of mystery and unanswered questions.  God, I wish I could get back to my favourite pasttime of snorkeling again, but the sea's about as cold as it gets right now.  I'll keep on reading this and hope it infects my dreams- it's certainly got a leisurely, dream-like pace.  Can't wait to pick up more of his writings.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: bgmnts on January 28, 2018, 10:34:35 AM
Almost done with V for Vendetta. Along with The League of Extraordinary Gentleman and Watchman I still haven't read anything bad by Alan Moore, you mileage may vary of course.

Maybe Lost Girls and From Hell are shite but i'm confident.

From Hell is my fave Moore, I think. So much detail in there.

Small Man Big Horse

2000AD 1950 - 1961 - I just read these issues from about two to three years ago due to discovering that Peter Milligan had brought back Bad Company after all these years. Have to say that apart from that and Dredd the other strips (Dafoe, Sinister Dexter, Brass Sun) didn't really do it for me, some look great but the scripts are a bit weak. I did enjoy Bad Company a fair bit fortunately, it started off really well with our heroes drugged up and in a retirement home, and it didn't feel like Milligan was bringing them back for the cash, though towards the end the satire got a bit blunt, as you might notice from this bit:

Still, it was nice to see the guys back, and I know Milligan's done a second new series too so I'll check that out at some point, even if I won't be rushing to do so.

Phil_A

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 29, 2018, 03:43:26 PM
2000AD 1950 - 1961 - I just read these issues from about two to three years ago due to discovering that Peter Milligan had brought back Bad Company after all these years. Have to say that apart from that and Dredd the other strips (Dafoe, Sinister Dexter, Brass Sun) didn't really do it for me, some look great but the scripts are a bit weak. I did enjoy Bad Company a fair bit fortunately, it started off really well with our heroes drugged up and in a retirement home, and it didn't feel like Milligan was bringing them back for the cash, though towards the end the satire got a bit blunt, as you might notice from this bit:

Still, it was nice to see the guys back, and I know Milligan's done a second new series too so I'll check that out at some point, even if I won't be rushing to do so.

Yeah the new Bad Company is running at the moment, I haven't caught up with on my digital sub yet though.

Have to agree with the general sense of apathy regarding current state of the Prog. Dare I say it, it's starting to feel a bit stale. That sentiment seems to be shared over on the 2000AD forums as well.

It definitely seems to be the case that Pat Mills's legendary status means he gets given preference over other writers. It now feels like we can't go six weeks without having two of his ongoing strips running concurrently, and it's always the same bloody strips. Slaine, Savage, ABC Warriors, Dafoe, Flesh. It gets extremely wearying.

I've said this before, it feels like the comic is in need of a bit of a shake-up. New voices, new ideas, not just rehashing old characters ad infinitum.

kidsick5000

I'll try to dip in to 2000ad again. I've been away from it for so long some of the most beloved characters are those I've never heard of.

How is the art these days? Is that panel part of a spoof?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Phil_A on January 29, 2018, 09:44:49 PM
Yeah the new Bad Company is running at the moment, I haven't caught up with on my digital sub yet though.

Have to agree with the general sense of apathy regarding current state of the Prog. Dare I say it, it's starting to feel a bit stale. That sentiment seems to be shared over on the 2000AD forums as well.

It definitely seems to be the case that Pat Mills's legendary status means he gets given preference over other writers. It now feels like we can't go six weeks without having two of his ongoing strips running concurrently, and it's always the same bloody strips. Slaine, Savage, ABC Warriors, Dafoe, Flesh. It gets extremely wearying.

I've said this before, it feels like the comic is in need of a bit of a shake-up. New voices, new ideas, not just rehashing old characters ad infinitum.

I think you're 100% right on the Pat Mills front, I'm very fond of the man (especially after watching Future Shock The Story of 2000AD last week) but a lot of his material is all too repetitive, I've still a fondness for the ABC Warriors but apart from that none of his strips are doing anything for me. And I think you're right on the shake up front too, maybe it's time for a new Tharg after all these years, and for them to actively seek out new writers.

Quote from: kidsick5000 on January 29, 2018, 10:23:38 PM
I'll try to dip in to 2000ad again. I've been away from it for so long some of the most beloved characters are those I've never heard of.

How is the art these days? Is that panel part of a spoof?

The art's pretty great (and that picture above is no way representative of it in general) it's just the scripts which are slightly weak.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Phil_A on January 29, 2018, 09:44:49 PMIt definitely seems to be the case that Pat Mills's legendary status means he gets given preference over other writers. It now feels like we can't go six weeks without having two of his ongoing strips running concurrently, and it's always the same bloody strips. Slaine, Savage, ABC Warriors, Dafoe, Flesh. It gets extremely wearying

No fucking kidding. If I see one more strip from him where the protagonists spend every page discussing opposing philosophical or political viewpoints while pretending to have a fight, I'll... just sigh dejectedly and move on to the next story.

The line-up of stories for this ten-week stretch is far from inspiring - Mills is wringing more mileage from Savage and the ABC Warriors, Brass Sun continues to underwhelm, Dredd is meandering through a series of loosely connected stories set in the Sov(iet) wastelands and to be honest I haven't had the will to read the latest, full-colour iteration of Bad Company.

However, things are looking up! The next jumping-on edition is prog 2073, a 48-page special on sale 21st March:

• Dredd crosses paths once more with the terrifying Judge Pin in 'Fit for Purpose' by Rob Williams and Chris Weston
  • Vampire bounty hunter Durham Red takes on a case to reunite mother and son in 'Born Bad' by Alec Worley and Ben Willsher
  • Nort war-crimes investigator Atalia Jaegir returns to the hellworld that is Nu Earth in 'In the Realm of Pyrrhus' by Gordon Rennie and Simon Coleby
  • Psi-Judge Anderson must face a new threat rising from the Undercity in 'Undertow' by Emma Beeby and David Roach
  • History is being reshaped in 'The New World', the fourth series of the time- and dimension-jumping thriller The Order by Kek-W and John Burns!

That's pretty much a dream line-up. The Order is especially amazing.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 01, 2018, 11:32:56 AM
However, things are looking up! The next jumping-on edition is prog 2073, a 48-page special on sale 21st March:

That's pretty much a dream line-up. The Order is especially amazing.

Been toying with getting back into 2000AD for a while. Haven't read any for about 3 years, now. I may well jump in here. Sounds good.

Norton Canes

And, I don't know if it's a happy coincidence, but of those five stories three have female leads, Judge Pin is a fantastic new female character and The Order has an abundance of female protagonists. They've even managed to find a woman writer for goodness sake!

Ooh it's like the heady days of The Space Girls all over again.

Small Man Big Horse

Supreme: Blue Rose by Warren Ellis and Tula Lotay. A really stylish and fun mini-series from Ellis that had (for me, at least) a disappointing ending. It's a shame that this was intentionally seven and out as I'd like to see more from these characters, but I know Ellis has the attention span of a kitten in a mouse filled zoo these days.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 14, 2018, 09:59:21 PM
but I know Ellis has the attention span of a kitten in a mouse filled zoo these days.

"These days"!?! Do you remember how long it took him to finish Planetary?