Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 11:54:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Spiteface on October 27, 2018, 08:23:31 PM
2 issues into Beyond the Grid, and I hope things pick up with the new creative team on Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, because I'm not really feeling this right now. Maybe it was because of the absurdly high stakes with Shattered Grid (basically Power Rangers does a Crisis) with the VERY familiar original cast, written by someone (Kyle Higgins) who utterly gets Power Rangers but writes it with a comic book sensiblility freed from having to use stock footage from Japan.

So far, I feel like you could take out this random team, replace them with 6 other characters and the outcome would be the same, it's coming off like any other spacey sci fi material at the moment. Solar Ranger is an interesting original (i.e. non-Japanese) design though, and I want to know more about her and how she's apparently got powers when the Grid's still fucked after what Lord Drakkon did:

I've just caught up and I agree. I wonder if I'm not feeling it because I fell off the Power Rangers wagon during the transition to Turbo in my mid teens and therefore have absolutely no idea who any of this team of rangers are and why I should care about them. Perhaps younger readers who saw all the ones with talking police dogs in space will get more out of it than I can.

Small Man Big Horse

Immortal Hulk 8 - After a minor blip around the 6th issue this is back on form, with some delightful body horror and all round craziness going on. So along with Thor for the first time in my life that's two Marvel comics I'm in to right now. These are confusing times.

Heroes In Crisis 2 - Well it's better than the first issue and it appears that Booster might not be guilty after all, but it's the weakest thing that I've read by Tom King so far.

Batman 58 - And talking of King, his run on the series continues and this issue sees The Penguin tasked with killing Alfred. Thankfully he doesn't, despite it looking like he was about to die, and the story becomes more complicated which pleased.

The Green Lantern 1 - Grant Morrison's first issue writing the character and it's a big space epic thing which reminded me a little of the more out there stories in 2000AD. It's okay but I'm not that crazy about it right now, I'll probably stick with it for a couple more issues but I'm not convinced it'll turn out to be a comic I ever love.

The Walking Dead 185 - Not the worst issue ever. I'm still not actively enjoying it, but I didn't hate it for once.

studpuppet

Quote from: studpuppet on November 09, 2018, 11:02:15 AM
He then proceeded to take at least a couple of minutes signing every book handed to him with a full (sometimes double-page) illustration plus signature. Top bloke.

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 09, 2018, 10:00:09 AMAh, that's cool, I really should keep an eye out for more comics signings as apart from the one comic con I've attended the only one I've ever been to was Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean and that was back in 1998! I'd also not heard of Batman Gothic before so will have to check that out.

It's a great little self-contained story! By the way, the only other comics signing I've been to is Kevin O' Neill (also in FP), he signed all me League of Extraordinary Gentlemen's and I was well chuffed! Apparently Mick McMahon and Ian Gibson are doing a signing here soon too, must find out more about that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on November 10, 2018, 12:13:30 AM
It's a great little self-contained story! By the way, the only other comics signing I've been to is Kevin O' Neill (also in FP), he signed all me League of Extraordinary Gentlemen's and I was well chuffed! Apparently Mick McMahon and Ian Gibson are doing a signing here soon too, must find out more about that.

I checked out Gothic and it turns out I had read it when it was published as part of Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight back in the 90s, but yeah, it's alright, not my favourite ever Batman story but certainly really interesting stuff.

Norton Canes

Here's a turn-up! This year's 2000 AD bumper-length Christmas edition - prog 2111, available December 12th - features, as a special one-off, a concluding chapter (or should that be a concluding Chapter?) to Gordon Rennie and Dom Reardon's supernatural series Caballistics Inc..

Won't add any further details here for fear of spoilers, but anyone who doesn't mind seeing a brief plot outline and a page of art can visit the 2000 AD news page.

This heads up the release of The Complete Caballistics Inc. trade paperback on February 21st.

The spiel for prog 2111:

The Galaxy's Greatest Comic rounds out another storming year with a 100-page Xmas spectacular, featuring a stunning line-up of stories and creators. Dredd tackles a sinister Christmas spirit in Judge Dredd : Jingle All the Way; Nolan Blake has to investigate a terrorist cell in Skip Tracer: Louder Than Bombs; vampire bounty hunter Durham Red takes down a criminal gang in Durham Red: Three Gifts; Celtic warrior Sláine learns a little of Ukko's nefarious past in Sláine: The Bogatyr; Deadworld's survivors face down Judge Fear in Fall of Deadworld: Running Scared; the master cult makes its move in Brink: High Society; the vampires take to the skies above WWI France in Fiends of the Western Front; and the supernatural series Caballistics, Inc. comes to a close with the final ever episode 'Visiting Hour'. Plus much more!

The Slaine story is apparently not written by Pat Mills, thankfully.

Phil_A

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 12, 2018, 03:33:01 PM
Here's  turn-up! This year's 2000 AD bumper-length Christmas edition - prog 2111, available December 12th - features, as a special one-off, a concluding chapter (or should that be a concluding Chapter?) to Gordon Rennie and Dom Reardon's supernatural series Caballistics Inc..

Won't add any further details here for fear of spoilers, but anyone who doesn't mind seeing a brief plot outline and a page of art can visit the 2000 AD news page.

This heads up the release of The Complete Caballistics Inc. trade paperback on February 21st.

The Slaine story is apparently not written by Pat Mills, thankfully.

Oh, that's interesting...wonder how they wrangled that? Mills is famously protective of his characters and once kicked up an almighty stink because a previous editor commissioned a Satanus spin-off from someone else. I always thought they'd have to prize Slaine from his cold dead hands.

Norton Canes

I think it's essentially an Ukko story, with a comedic slant.

Mister Six

They started doing Durham Red stories again? Are they set back in the Strontium Dog days rather than that far-future vampire cult world?

Norton Canes

One story so far, started in prog 2082. Written by Alec Worley with the first few installments drawn by Ben Willsher, who injured his drawing hand (I think by splashing boiling water on it) and was replaced by Lee Carter for the final episodes. I haven't really followed the Durham Red chronology but I gather it was a return to the Strontium Dog days - not sure how that was explained. They've downgraded her fantasy chainmail/bondage look into more practical, X-Men type gear. The story was pretty good, nothing spectacular but very readable.

Did love this cover. I think I may have mentioned at the time, it was incredibly only the second time a 2000 AD cover had been drawn by a woman.

Artie Fufkin

For those into comics in a digital form; Pat Mills / Kevin O'Neill's Marshall Law - Deluxe Edition is currently on Comixology for £3.99. Wowzer, that's a bargain !

Small Man Big Horse

Mister Miracle 12 - I've loved this mini-series a great deal and it's led me to checking out other things Tom King has written and mostly enjoying them, but I have to admit I was a bit frustrated by the final issue. The resolution to the mystery was slightly disappointing and I felt it didn't really tackle a lot of themes and ideas that it had previously set up, and it's not a million miles off from the "It was all a dream" kind of ending which I really don't like. The character's coming back in a regular series apparently but as it won't be written by King I'm not sure I care that much.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on November 14, 2018, 11:21:08 AM
For those into comics in a digital form; Pat Mills / Kevin O'Neill's Marshall Law - Deluxe Edition is currently on Comixology for £3.99. Wowzer, that's a bargain !

And now, Watchmen : The Deluxe Edition for a bargain £2.99 !

Small Man Big Horse

Justice League Dark 5 - So this is odd, partially as the team now consist of Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing, John Constantine, Man-Bat and Detective Chimp. It's actually not too bad at all, it feels like it shouldn't work but it does somehow, and for some reason the Blue Devil has just turned up and now seems like a mighty warrior type. I had a fondness for that character back in the late 80s but thought he'd been forgotten about completely so it's nice to see him pop up, and I'm intrigued as to how they're going to use him.

Immortal Hulk 9 - Still a lot of fun, this issue was a bit too fight-y and saw Hulk wonder about his Dad too much but there was a fair amount to like about it.

Thor 7 - Really loving this series which leaps all over the place when it comes to telling stories about Thor, we've had the current version and the incredibly old version previously but this issue is all about Thor as a young man and it's a really entertaining read. Seems to be a bit of a love/hate thing judging by reviews / comments sections, but I'm really enjoying it.

Batman 59 - Batman's still all pissy due to Nightwing being shot and so goes and beats the shit out of Bane, who's pretending to be broken. Eh, I'm getting a bit bored of this storyline now and feel a bit disappointed by King's work on the series, sometime's it's interesting but other times it's bland.

Glebe

There's annoyingly-long gaps between issues of the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Next issue prolly won't be out 'til next year at this rate.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on November 29, 2018, 01:38:19 AM
There's annoyingly-long gaps between issues of the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Next issue prolly won't be out 'til next year at this rate.

That annoys me about a lot of comics these days and is why I'm increasingly waiting until they end until I read them, it's certainly the case with Saga which I loved but due to the long hiatus I'm not going to read the rest until it's finally over.

Invincible 127 until the end - I gave up on this a couple of years ago as I was getting bored but then I heard it had finally ended so binged it and mostly enjoyed it. Some of the dialogue is a bit clunky but the action scenes were a lot of fun, and I thought the final fight between Mark and the Big Bad was superb stuff, I was really impressed to the point that it's hard to reconcile the fact that Kirkman wrote this whilst at the same time making The Walking Dead comic one of the worst things I've ever read. It almost made me a bit sad that it had come to an end but it was time, and I only wish he realised that this is the case with TWD as well.

Heroes In Crisis 3 - Nah, still not getting on with this. It's just too bleak and the whole idea of a bunch of psychologically damaged heroes being murdered in the one place which was supposed to help them is something that I find oddly distasteful. I'll stick with it as it's Tom King and I'm fond of his work, but I wouldn't if I was paying for it.

Edit: Did anyone read of all Fables out of interest? As that's another series I quit (after 117 issues!) but I've just noticed it came to an end with 150 and was wondering if it's worth me finishing off?

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 01, 2018, 12:20:57 AM
Heroes In Crisis 3 - Nah, still not getting on with this. It's just too bleak and the whole idea of a bunch of psychologically damaged heroes being murdered in the one place which was supposed to help them is something that I find oddly distasteful. I'll stick with it as it's Tom King and I'm fond of his work, but I wouldn't if I was paying for it.

Edit: Did anyone read of all Fables out of interest? As that's another series I quit (after 117 issues!) but I've just noticed it came to an end with 150 and was wondering if it's worth me finishing off?

Heroes in Crisis. (I've just clocked that it's yet another 'Crisis' event for DC. How cute. Have they not heard of the Boy Who Cried Wolf?). Yep. Far too bleak and I suspect it will be another case of DC deciding a previously innocuous character cracked and went on a murder spree.

I binged Fables but my interest dropped, funnily enough when James Jean stopped doing the covers, because it suddenly stopped being interesting to me. As though it had finished the stories I liked.

garbed_attic

Unusually a bit disappointed by the new Love and Rockets - felt very much like a stop-gap. Good to see Venus back though - it'd be nice to have an issue around what her daily routine is like since her life tends to be less torrid and bleak than her aunt's! The Hopey and her son comic was sweet, but I wanted more Ray.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 05, 2018, 05:26:07 PM
Heroes in Crisis. (I've just clocked that it's yet another 'Crisis' event for DC. How cute. Have they not heard of the Boy Who Cried Wolf?). Yep. Far too bleak and I suspect it will be another case of DC deciding a previously innocuous character cracked and went on a murder spree.

I binged Fables but my interest dropped, funnily enough when James Jean stopped doing the covers, because it suddenly stopped being interesting to me. As though it had finished the stories I liked.

Heh, I hadn't spotted the whole Crisis thing either but you're not wrong, they really need to stop using that word, and if it turns out Booster is responsible (though it's starting to look unlikely now) I will be really pissed off as he's been a favourite of mine since the JLI days.

And I'm still not sure if I can be bothered finishing Fables, especially as it turns out that Bill Williingham has a fairly shitty attitude towards women. But then that might just be me looking for an excuse not to read it when I don't really need one.

Small Man Big Horse

Batman 60 - Bats is still sulking because someone shot Nightwing and is beating the shit out of people to find out whether or not Bane is running Arkham. But the big bad turns out to be Thomas Wayne, from an alternative universe related to the whole Flashpoint thing. After the disappointing ending to Mister Miracle and all of Heroes In Crisis so far I'm starting to lose interest in Tom King and may drop this title if it doesn't improve soon.

Doomsday Clock 8 - Not hideous because it only briefly features the Watchmen characters, but still not great and I'm not sure why I'm reading it.

The Walking Dead 166 - Kind of okay, Rick's still a twat but at least they killed off Dwight at last. I'll be glad when this Commonwealth storyline is over with though, it's been dragging on for ages and is boring me now. Not that I have faith that anything which follows it will be any good, but fuck it, it seems I'm in it for the long run and at least each issue only takes about 5 minutes to read.

kidsick5000

I have to say, begrudgingly*, I do enjoy Mark Millar's movie pitches. The recent stuff anyway.
The Magic Order is coming to a close soon. Fun stuff though. Worth getting the collection.
His latest, Prodigy is also rather fun. He's retreamed with Raphael Albuquerque who he did the very enjoyable Huck with.

I also picked up this The Immortal Hulk The Best Defense, part of the revival of the Defenders.  Artist Simone Di Meo is like the second coming of Immonen

*begrudging because I there's still part of me that sees these as a cynical move. But at the same time, more power to him. Making comics has bugger all money in it. Why use these single ideas for work for hire only to see aspects 'borrowed' by other properties?

Small Man Big Horse

Batman: Damned issue 2 - Quite possibly the worst comic I've ever read, it's so hilariously over the top with it's dark grittiness that it's impossible to take seriously. Etrigan is a rapper in this, Deadman's getting off on feeling pain and Bats is whining about his childhood, at least in flashback, and Harley Quinn tries to rape Batman at the end. I'm amazed DC have put this out, it's absolute trash of the worst order but I plan to read every issue as it's so ridiculously awful.

At The Mountain Of Madness - A graphic novel adaptation of the novella, I mentioned this in the HP Lovecraft as though the script is okay the art is awful, it's kind of like that found in Tin Tin and doesn't suit the material in the slightest.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 13, 2018, 08:43:53 PM
At The Mountain Of Madness - A graphic novel adaptation of the novella, I mentioned this in the HP Lovecraft as though the script is okay the art is awful, it's kind of like that found in Tin Tin and doesn't suit the material in the slightest.

Say whaaaaaaat? Is it this one?

Doesn't look too bad. Similar to Rian Hughes' work. Though admittedly, three panels do not make a comic.

Were you hoping for something more painterly?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 14, 2018, 06:05:13 AM
Say whaaaaaaat? Is it this one?

Doesn't look too bad. Similar to Rian Hughes' work. Though admittedly, three panels do not make a comic.

Were you hoping for something more painterly?

I was to be honest, and this picture particularly highlighted the weakness of the art for me:

In the novella Lovecraft goes on and on about how amazing the art was in the city, whereas here it looks like the work of a seven year old. I like the style in certain comics and am a big fan of Rian Hughes, but just don't think it works with Lovecraft.

Glebe

Much to my surprize, I managed to find issue #3 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest yesterday. Thought it wouldn't be on shelves for yonks.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Glebe on December 20, 2018, 09:05:59 AM
Much to my surprize, I managed to find issue #3 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest yesterday. Thought it wouldn't be on shelves for yonks.

Seeing it in comixology surprised me. My first thought was "They've created another Mina Harker spin-off?"

Glebe

Quote from: kidsick5000 on December 20, 2018, 03:45:22 PMSeeing it in comixology surprised me. My first thought was "They've created another Mina Harker spin-off?"

I've not read it yet, but it has a 3D section and comes with a pair of 3D specs, like The Black Dossier.

Small Man Big Horse

Infinity Wars 1 - 6 - Big Marvel crossover thing though I only read the main series and not the tie-ins. It's quite a lot of fun, I was in the mood for a bright and breezy and violent effort and this delivered, even if the reset button could be seen a mile off.

BritishHobo

Finally started Buffy/Angel season 10. I'm not sure they're gonna do library editions for Angel, so I've just got the paperbacks. I read that season 12 is due to be the last one, so I may sack off waiting for library editions.

I hope that is the case, because I'm not sure I'd bother carrying on past this season otherwise. I think I'm just finding that the format is never gonna be able to do what made Buffy and Angel great for me, the way they really took the time growing the characters and their relationships. The comics are just so quick, and so busy. There's so many characters - some of whom, like the policeman and the shit male slayer, might as well not exist - and the comics are like near-constant expedition because there's so much gnarled backstory now to keep reminding readers of. Dawn and Xander's relationship and the problems in it for example has pretty much entirely been just told to the readers. And they have to keep over-explaining the magic situation because it's so complicated and tied up in two seasons of plot.

Also every single cliffhanger in every single issue is always a final panel revealing the surprising return of a character. You'd think they would run out of characters. Often the art doesn't look like the actor so the surprise doesn't work, or I have to Google it 'cos I can't remember who it is.

My one highlight so far has been the Xander/Spike issue, which I think caught the monster-of-the-week/character-development thing well.

mikeyg27

A little outside the usual scope of this thread, but does anyone have any decent comics recommendations for 10-year olds?

Not the Hilda books (already done them) and not Nimona, which I've apparently somehow bought as a present for the same person two years in a row and is the reason I'm asking.