Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:43:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: mikeyg27 on January 07, 2019, 09:59:14 PM
A little outside the usual scope of this thread, but does anyone have any decent comics recommendations for 10-year olds?

Not the Hilda books (already done them) and not Nimona, which I've apparently somehow bought as a present for the same person two years in a row and is the reason I'm asking.

The Adventures of Tintin

Sin Agog

Maybe try Shaun Tan's The Arrival?  It's a wordless graphic novel that feels a bit like it could be a Studio Ghibli movie tacklng the experience of being an immigrant.  I bought it for some severely dyslexic to the point of being illiterate family members who loved it, but I can imagine it really striking a chord with a thoughtful ten year old.

Phil_A

Gunnerkrigg Court is a really good "all ages" webcomic that's been collected in a few books, although looking it up I see volume is out of stock again, how annoying.

mikeyg27

Mister Six

Quote from: holdover on January 08, 2019, 01:04:06 PM
Bone

That's my pick too. Starts off very cartoony but builds into a proper fantasy epic while retaining its original charm. Available in a single massive B&W volume and in individua colourisedl books. It was originally printed in Black&W though, I believe.

mikeyg27

I love Bone, to the point that this t-shirt is one of my most prized possessions. I have all of the colour editions (the main series ones, anyway - none of those spin-off ones like the Rose one).

Actually, I love Jeff Smith in general, RASL's pretty great too (not for kids though).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 05, 2019, 07:39:35 PM
Finally started Buffy/Angel season 10. I'm not sure they're gonna do library editions for Angel, so I've just got the paperbacks. I read that season 12 is due to be the last one, so I may sack off waiting for library editions.

I hope that is the case, because I'm not sure I'd bother carrying on past this season otherwise. I think I'm just finding that the format is never gonna be able to do what made Buffy and Angel great for me, the way they really took the time growing the characters and their relationships. The comics are just so quick, and so busy. There's so many characters - some of whom, like the policeman and the shit male slayer, might as well not exist - and the comics are like near-constant expedition because there's so much gnarled backstory now to keep reminding readers of. Dawn and Xander's relationship and the problems in it for example has pretty much entirely been just told to the readers. And they have to keep over-explaining the magic situation because it's so complicated and tied up in two seasons of plot.

Also every single cliffhanger in every single issue is always a final panel revealing the surprising return of a character. You'd think they would run out of characters. Often the art doesn't look like the actor so the surprise doesn't work, or I have to Google it 'cos I can't remember who it is.

My one highlight so far has been the Xander/Spike issue, which I think caught the monster-of-the-week/character-development thing well.

I half liked the comics but largely agree with you, they never captured the spirit of the tv show and I'm glad they're over with now.

Norton Canes

Only weeks after the loss of Carlos Ezquerra, today comes news of the death of another Dredd legend, and possibly my favourite 2000 AD artist of all time: the inimitable Ron Smith

Gulftastic

Aye, two of my favourite Dredd artists so close together. Brian Bolland should be careful. RIP Ron Smith.

garbed_attic

Quote from: mikeyg27 on January 07, 2019, 09:59:14 PM
A little outside the usual scope of this thread, but does anyone have any decent comics recommendations for 10-year olds?

Not the Hilda books (already done them) and not Nimona, which I've apparently somehow bought as a present for the same person two years in a row and is the reason I'm asking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Venus-Gilbert-Hernandez/dp/1606995405

^^

jobotic

My knowledge of comics extends mainly to 2000AD and I'd like to say RIP Ron Smith. Otto Sump, man, brilliant.

Mister Six

Quote from: gout_pony on January 11, 2019, 12:57:49 PM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Venus-Gilbert-Hernandez/dp/1606995405

^^

Although I Gilbert's obsession with massive-titted wrestling women a bit creepy and weird, so would be a bit wary of passing this to a young girl in case it acts as a gateway drug.

madhair60

I was going to say, I looked at the preview of that on Amazon and there they are. Massive.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Mister Six on January 13, 2019, 03:41:20 AM
Although I Gilbert's obsession with massive-titted wrestling women a bit creepy and weird, so would be a bit wary of passing this to a young girl in case it acts as a gateway drug.

I mean... yeh, he is... I guess he's like alt. comic's Almodovar... in that there is a degree of fetishisation there, but he's also praised for spending his entire career writing really interesting, nuanced female characters - far better than Clowes or Ware or Matt or Tomine or Moore (by a lot way) any other male creator out there.

That said, there are female creators like Gloeckner who are better at it. But I wouldn't but Gloeckner for a little girl.

Glebe

A friend bought me a voucher for Forbidden Planet, picked up Batman: Dark Victory and Batman: RIP. That is all.

Mister Six

Quote from: gout_pony on January 17, 2019, 09:59:27 PM
he's also praised for spending his entire career writing really interesting, nuanced female characters - far better than Clowes or Ware or Matt or Tomine or Moore (by a lot way) any other male creator out there.

Like everyone, I think Moore is a genius, but his treatment of female characters is a bit dodgy. How many of his books feature women being raped? Swamp Thing, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (played for comedy too), Watchmen, V for Vendetta, the list goes on...

chveik

Quote from: Mister Six on January 23, 2019, 03:45:48 PM
Like everyone, I think Moore is a genius, but his treatment of female characters is a bit dodgy. How many of his books feature women being raped? Swamp Thing, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (played for comedy too), Watchmen, V for Vendetta, the list goes on...

Neonomicon, Providence

Small Man Big Horse

kidsick5000

And LOEG has the Invisible Man suffering at the hands of Mr Hyde.

Small Man Big Horse

Buffy Issue 1 - In which they go right back to the beginning with Buffy only having been in Sunnydale for three weeks, and we get to see her first meeting with Xander and Willow too. There's quite a few changes to the original tale, what with Buffy working part time in a burger joint, Willow's out and proud, Anya's running an underground magic shop and Drusilla is the story's first big bad. It's fairy decent in general and the art is a lot better than that found in the previous run, and there's no Dawn so that's a big bonus, but I'm not sure I'm that interested in seeing this story again, even if there are quite a few variations.

BritishHobo

Why are they doing that? Is it meant to be a kind of alt-universe season one?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 30, 2019, 08:26:28 PM
Why are they doing that? Is it meant to be a kind of alt-universe season one?

No idea to be honest, I guess they thought more high school era Buffy would sell than the adventures of the older version. And it does appear to be that, I guess for new readers it's a good place to begin, but are there really that many of them?

BritishHobo

I do find that the post-finale comics seem to struggle with rooting the characters in a situation, a bit like season four of the show when they had to move past high-school and couldn't quite figure out what to do with the characters in their everyday lives. They managed to channel that into something quite interesting about dealing with a lack of direction in your life, but the comics don't even have that, really. The ordinary, real-life stuff is what makes Buffy, but I can't get a handle on it in the comics.

I've got a volume each of Buffy and Angel and Faith season 10 to get, but I've lost interest a bit. Not sure I can be bothered with two more seasons.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 03, 2019, 10:44:34 AM
I do find that the post-finale comics seem to struggle with rooting the characters in a situation, a bit like season four of the show when they had to move past high-school and couldn't quite figure out what to do with the characters in their everyday lives. They managed to channel that into something quite interesting about dealing with a lack of direction in your life, but the comics don't even have that, really. The ordinary, real-life stuff is what makes Buffy, but I can't get a handle on it in the comics.

I've got a volume each of Buffy and Angel and Faith season 10 to get, but I've lost interest a bit. Not sure I can be bothered with two more seasons.

I wouldn't have bothered if I'd been paying to read them, I finished Buffy in the end (and season 12 is only four issues so not too much of a hassle to read) but still have a fair bit of Angel & Faith to read, even despite them being free I'm not sure I'll bother.

Custard

Been reading the 28 Days Later comic in a fat omnibus of the lot, and it's surprisingly decent. Picks up after the first film, though only Selena is left, for some reason which hasn't been revealed yet. Well worth a look if you're sick of The Walking Dead, as it's very simple, to the point, and nasty

Also bought all of The Woods in a Comixology sale, but only halfway through and already finding it a chore. The premise was good (an entire school is suddenly and somehow transported to another planet), but the writing and storytelling frankly isn't very good. And I don't care about any of the characters. Might give up on it soon

About 3/4 of my way through Ultimate Spider-Man, and that has mostly been a joy. Looking forward to finally having it end, mind. Been at it a good year or so!

Also up to Volume 3 of Stray Bullets. I wonder if Racecar Amy was an inspiration for Killing Eve? Seems almost exactly the same. Good stuff anyway

Finished Saga. That's some good stuff. Apparently it's coming back soon, so will look forward to that

And finally, reading the new go at Star Wars' Thrawn. It's alright, though the character isn't as interesting as I'd heard he was. Sometimes I wish it'd just stay with Tarkin instead

Mister Six

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 05, 2019, 11:13:27 PM

Also bought all of The Woods in a Comixology sale, but only halfway through and already finding it a chore. The premise was good (an entire school is suddenly and somehow transported to another planet), but the writing and storytelling frankly isn't very good. And I don't care about any of the characters. Might give up on it soon

Sounds rather like the rather horrible (or great, if you hate kids) manga The Drifting Classroom.

Pingers

I was looking for a graphic novel for my lad today and came across The Electric State by Simon Stalenhag. I didn't read much of the text (it's more image-heavy) but the images are really atmospheric. He'll be getting this for his birthday, I'm grabbing it as soon as he's finished

kidsick5000

I'm slightly ashamed to say that despite owning the first collection (James Jean covers) and a smattering of other issues for some time, it's taken the TV version of The Umbrella Academy to get me to read it properly- and I love it.

I think the show is brilliant, well worth the single binge, and the ending had me going back to the book to see how it held up.
Both brilliant, while being their own things. The TV show works for TV and brings in elements from across the first two series – Apocalypse Suite and Dallas.

Gerard Way has this nutso take on the X-Men that feels like it owes something to early 90s Deadline strips. There's amazing energy in Gabriel Ba's art.

Watch the show, get the first two books. Well worth it.