Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:39:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on July 05, 2019, 09:19:34 AM
Oh, that's a real shame. Was gonna start reading that soon. Hey ho. Best get on with Sandman before it gets its Netflix release.

Well you may feel differently to me, Way must have his fans or DC wouldn't keep hiring him. But I just don't like his style of writing, and didn't get on with The Umbrella Academy either.

Superman: Up in the Sky Issue 1 - In which Tom King takes on Superman, I was really quite fond of this, it feels like the Superman of the eighties in many ways but it definitely has it's charm and the story is an interesting one.

Custard

That's funny, I'm currently reading the similarly titled Superman: Up, Up and Away, and I was thinking it nails the 80's vibe of Superman really well too!

I don't always get on with Superman comics, but Birthright is pretty great. And Last Son Of Krypton. The Brianiac story that runs from Action Comics #866 - #870 is quality too

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 05, 2019, 04:35:25 PM
That's funny, I'm currently reading the similarly titled Superman: Up, Up and Away, and I was thinking it nails the 80's vibe of Superman really well too!

I don't always get on with Superman comics, but Birthright is pretty great. And Last Son Of Krypton. The Brianiac story that runs from Action Comics #866 - #870 is quality too

I've never been the world's biggest Superman fan either but I did like Birthright so will have to give the others a go, I do actually have Last Son Of Krypton as it was £1.50 in a charity shop but I've not got round to reading it so far, but will rectify that soon.

Custard

Apologies SMBH, The Brianiac story that runs from Action Comics #866 - #870 is actually collected in the Last Son Of Krypton book!

Hope you like it anyway

kidsick5000

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 06, 2019, 07:37:46 AM
Apologies SMBH, The Brianiac story that runs from Action Comics #866 - #870 is actually collected in the Last Son Of Krypton book!

Hope you like it anyway

Is that the Gary Frank run? I really enjoyed his take on Superman. Not ridiculously muscled and with a vague look of Christopher Reeve

Custard

It is, yep. Deffo a bit of the Reeves in there!

Mister Six

Two more recently read:

Apocalypse Bow-wow! That's the pitch for Garth Ennis' Rover Red Charlie, the story of three dogs trying to deal with the end of the world - or at least the end of the world as they know it. After humanity - spontaneously driven insane and given to murderous and suicidal impulses for reasons never explained* - is obliterated in just days, Charlie (a seeing-eye dog), Rover (a Cockney basset hound from across "the big splash") and Red (a very dim but loyal red setter) must journey across America to California and "the bigger splash", where legend says there might be a few surviving humans to tell them what to do. It's a weird mix of Ennis brutality/perversion, adorable cuteness and borderline doggo speak that works far better than it ought to, and the ending is genuinely touching. Garth Ennis is a consumate cynic - which means he's a romantic at heart - and the wilting innocence of his protagonists is just about the perfect medium for him to express it. Would work paired up with We3 as "imagine how Hollywood would fuck this right up" double-bill. Highly recommended.

The bumper-sized Doom Patrol Book 3 caps off Morrison's DP run, and it left me a tiny (tiny) bit cold - but through no fault of the comic itself, which is brilliantly written and illustrated. Partly it's because the ideas here are much more grounded and "superheroic", especially in the final confrontation with the Candlemaker, compared withe the lunacy I enjoyed before. Partly it's because the ordering of the book means that the first arc already started in the previous volume, so the "Mr Nobody for President" arc feels truncated and tossed off. But mostly it's because I remembered most of this a lot better than the contents of the previous volume, so it felt considerably less dazzling.

Still, that eight-episode closing arc is truly epic, and the reversion to biff-bam superheroics with only a few diversions into weirdness, gives a sense of fast-approaching, inescapable entropy and a down-to-the-wire fight against fate. It also has a gorgeous ending, and a truly lovely coda. Sadly, the last issue in the volume is the bumper-sized Doom Force #1, a special issue parodying Rob Liefeld's X-Men and the general early-90s preponderance of malformed human bodies and scratchy inks. It's pretty funny, but rather diminishes the ending of the book. I'd much rather they had put it at the end of book two, then brought across the last couple of issues of that volume (which set up the Mr Nobody arc) for this one.

* So basically a near-identical set-up to Ennis' own Crossed, also from Avatar Comics, although these lunatics lack the tell-tale facial scars, and there are no human survivors at all.

Custard

I've just read all of Jennifer Blood. The first volume was written by Garth Ennis and was quite fun, yet a bit bleak. Then he hands it off to other writers, and it quickly goes a bit too silly, with her just killing anyone and everyone, due to really contrived circumstances.

The end was alright, though. I just wish Ennis had written all of it

Will have to check out Red Rover Charlie! I've liked most of his work I've read

kidsick5000

Don't know that I could handle Red Rover Charlie.
Dogs nobly heading towards doom? Nope. Not dogs.
I assume it's doom because Ennis enjoys being twisted.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on July 07, 2019, 09:05:02 AM
Two more recently read:

Apocalypse Bow-wow! That's the pitch for Garth Ennis' Rover Red Charlie, the story of three dogs trying to deal with the end of the world - or at least the end of the world as they know it. After humanity - spontaneously driven insane and given to murderous and suicidal impulses for reasons never explained* - is obliterated in just days, Charlie (a seeing-eye dog), Rover (a Cockney basset hound from across "the big splash") and Red (a very dim but loyal red setter) must journey across America to California and "the bigger splash", where legend says there might be a few surviving humans to tell them what to do. It's a weird mix of Ennis brutality/perversion, adorable cuteness and borderline doggo speak that works far better than it ought to, and the ending is genuinely touching. Garth Ennis is a consumate cynic - which means he's a romantic at heart - and the wilting innocence of his protagonists is just about the perfect medium for him to express it. Would work paired up with We3 as "imagine how Hollywood would fuck this right up" double-bill. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've just read the first issue and liked it a lot, though if all of the dogs die in the final issue I will track you down, and, um, I don't know, cry all over you or something most likely.

Nextwave - Agents Of Hate - Another charity shop find, I'm making my way through the first volume and liking it a lot, it's Warren Ellis having fun and being silly and a really enjoyable read.

Custard

The Marvel "crossover event" House Of M.

It's basically an X-Men story, but then all the usual Marvel lads pile in. Could see an adaptation of this working quite well in the films, now the Infinity stuff is over.

Grant Morrison's run on JLA - Volume One.
Thought this was pretty good, though it felt a tiny bit dated in places. Superman with long hair can fuck off, too. Though I'd take this optimistic colourful take over the deathdoom of someone like Zach Snyder's anyday. Looking forward to digging in deeper with this series

RoboCop: Last Stand.
Frank Miller has another go at RoboCop, and it's genuinely one of the worst things I've ever read. Just horrible, nasty shite

Aliens: Defiance.
This however, I thought was pretty great. Nails the tone of the films, while trying something a bit different. It's really well written, with characters you find yourself actually rooting for, and the art is lovely. Highly recommend this

Superman Unchained.
Thought this was passable and quite entertaining, but Scott Snyder is far better suited to Batman

X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga.
Excellent. Glad I've finally read it, after years of hearing how good it is. Didn't disappoint.

Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia.
Wonders goes up against Bats. Pretty good, and the art is superb. Short n sweet too

John Wick - Volume One
Tries to capture the feel of the films, and succeeds for the most part. But it wasn't the strongest of storylines, sadly. Worth a go if you like the films

Iron Man: The Five Nightmares
Good stuff. I've been meaning to read more Iron Man, and this was one of the ones I'd seen recommended on't internet. Good story, and I read it in one sitting

(I've gone a bit mad on Comixology lately!)

Mister Six

Obviously I don't want to spoil Rover Red Charlie for anyone but it isn't Ennis in full Crossed/Nick Fury/Punisher grim-o-rama mode. There are a few dog deaths, one of which I found quite upsetting (but narratively justified), but Ennis isn't a sadist (in this, at least).

Will be interested to find out what you guys make of it.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 07, 2019, 05:48:00 PM
Nextwave - Agents Of Hate - Another charity shop find, I'm making my way through the first volume and liking it a lot, it's Warren Ellis having fun and being silly and a really enjoyable read.

NEXTWAVE (capital letters!) is by some distance my favourite Warren Ellis work ever.

chveik

I quite enjoyed NEXTWAVE but Trees and FreakAngels are far more interesting imo.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 07, 2019, 11:32:08 PM

Frank Miller has another go at RoboCop, and it's genuinely one of the worst things I've ever read. Just horrible, nasty shite

Feel free to expand. I enjoy a good comics vent

Disturbingly easy, isn't it

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 08, 2019, 04:00:03 PM

Disturbingly easy, isn't it

Bought 8 graphic novels off there over the weekend. Bloody sales!

mikeyg27

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on July 09, 2019, 08:44:30 AM
Bought 8 graphic novels off there over the weekend. Bloody sales!

Comic-Con's in a couple of weekends, isn't it? Pretty much the entire collection goes on sale at some point that week.

madhair60

What device are you lot reading your comixologies on?

garbed_attic

New Megg and Mogg out. Seems less antics based and more despairing, which is good after three volumes of antics.

Don't care for the cover, mind:

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: mikeyg27 on July 09, 2019, 09:32:13 AM
Comic-Con's in a couple of weekends, isn't it? Pretty much the entire collection goes on sale at some point that week.
Fuck

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: madhair60 on July 09, 2019, 09:34:02 AM
iPad - it's made for it

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: gout_pony on July 09, 2019, 12:23:37 PM
New Megg and Mogg out. Seems less antics based and more despairing, which is good after three volumes of antics.

Don't care for the cover, mind:

What is this Megg & Mogg - is it an adult version of the kids books?

*googles*

Ah. Fascinating. Are they good?

madhair60

It's a brilliant episodic stoner comic thing. It's really brutal and bleak but constantly makes me laugh out loud. I think the books are Megahex, Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam, One More Year and now Bad Gateway.

Edit: And Megahex is presently £3.99 on Comixology, so give it a look.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: madhair60 on July 09, 2019, 12:36:31 PM
It's a brilliant episodic stoner comic thing. It's really brutal and bleak but constantly makes me laugh out loud. I think the books are Megahex, Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam, One More Year and now Bad Gateway.
Cheers. Will deffo check those out.

kidsick5000

Quote from: madhair60 on July 09, 2019, 09:34:02 AM
Ipad. I keep on denying the instant buy option it keeps pushing. That would be highly deadly

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chveik on July 08, 2019, 01:07:13 AM
I quite enjoyed NEXTWAVE but Trees and FreakAngels are far more interesting imo.

Ellis is one of my favourite comic writers, I just get a bit frustrated with him sometimes as he loses interest in certain projects before finishing them. But I really liked FreakAngels too, bar the ending which I found a bit unsatisfying, and love Trees, along with Injection and The Wild Storm as well.

I just read half the first issue and decided I really couldn't be arsed finishing it, the writing was horrible but I didn't get on with the art either.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 09, 2019, 05:30:39 PM
I keep on denying the instant buy option it keeps pushing. That would be highly deadly
I'm all over that. One press of a button and it's mine. MIIIIINE!!!!!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 09, 2019, 08:53:35 PM
Ellis is one of my favourite comic writers, I just get a bit frustrated with him sometimes as he loses interest in certain projects before finishing them. But I really liked FreakAngels too, bar the ending which I found a bit unsatisfying, and love Trees, along with Injection and The Wild Storm as well.
Transmetropolitan, Doktor Sleepless, Injection, Planetary, Global Frequency & Fell - all fantastic.
Also, his novel, Gun Machine, is brilliant!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on July 10, 2019, 09:41:33 AM
Transmetropolitan, Doktor Sleepless, Injection, Planetary, Global Frequency & Fell - all fantastic.

I've not read Doktor Sleepless but I'd agree with you there and should have mentioned Planetary (and The Authority for that matter). I felt a bit disappointed by Gun Machine though, it was good, just not quite up to the standard I normally associate with the man.

Custard

Frank Miller just can't do RoboCop. Last Stand is just grim. Horrible one dimensional characters, horrible predictable writing, appalling dialogue. All women are either stupid, evil, or sluts (oh, and have big tits). His RoboCop is a bit of a thicko, and always needs help from outside forces to get anything done. The art is really not nice to look at, all messy and overloaded. Miller also can't help injecting his horrible politics in there, too.

The original RoboCop film was dark, but it also had a sense of humour, and RoboCop himself was a hero you rooted for. In Miller's world he's just a tincan who gets his metal head kicked in. The whole thing just leaves a nasty taste. Its just baaaad!

Thanks so much for the Megg and Mogg recommendation. I'm on holiday at the moment, and I nearly devoured the first volume in one sitting. It's great stuff!

Mister Six

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on July 10, 2019, 09:41:33 AM

Ah, Doktor Sleepless! From that golden period c.2007 when he released a new thing every month and then got bored of it about six months later. According to Wikipedia he's managed 13 issues in 12 years. Fuck's sake.

What was the gimmick with that one? It had its own Wikipedia or something?