Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:03:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Mister Six on July 10, 2019, 11:36:11 AM
Ah, Doktor Sleepless! From that golden period c.2007 when he released a new thing every month and then got bored of it about six months later. According to Wikipedia he's managed 13 issues in 12 years. Fuck's sake.

What was the gimmick with that one? It had its own Wikipedia or something?

Mediawiki or summat....?

garbed_attic

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 10, 2019, 11:12:21 AM
Thanks so much for the Megg and Mogg recommendation. I'm on holiday at the moment, and I nearly devoured the first volume in one sitting. It's great stuff!

I'm kinda surprised more of us here don't read it as it strikes me as very C&B in its tone and concerns!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: madhair60 on July 09, 2019, 12:36:31 PM
Edit: And Megahex is presently £3.99 on Comixology, so give it a look.
Just grabbed it. Looking forward to reading this later. Thanks!

madhair60

It flits from painfully funny to just painful, and I don't mean "so bad it's painful". It just hurts to read sometimes.

Custard

I feel bad for poor old Owl

I'm up to the third book (yep, I'm caning it), and it never fails to amaze me just how bleak(er) it can get.

Werewolf Jones is a great character. He's like Super Hans turned up to the highest setting possible

It's brilliant. Like the most disgusting soap opera ever made

madhair60

I think my favourite one is the single-pager where Megg and Mogg drop acid right before Werewolf Jones comes in screaming about them helping find his buttplug

garbed_attic

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 11, 2019, 09:48:44 AM
I'm up to the third book (yep, I'm caning it), and it never fails to amaze me just how bleak(er) it can get.

I'd say he's ramped this up for Bad Gateway. For what it's worth, I'd say Booger's the character I feel more sympathy for - always in the background trying hard to be a decent sort of fuck-up, but with only the likes of WWJ and Megg for support. Owl's long-suffering, but like Mark Corrigan he's a wretch in his own way.

madhair60

My copy of Gateway hasn't arrived yet, but I'm excited and a little scared.  This'll be the first one I've read properly, in book form, before I read scans online (sorry, Simon... I bought all your books brand new on the strength of those scans, so I hope you got my money!)

garbed_attic

Mine arrived today. I've read half of it and am now giving myself a break from it to do some XR stuff.

Includes an amazing, laudation-worthy return of the Hamburgler mask you'll be pleased to know!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: madhair60 on July 11, 2019, 10:45:59 AM
I think my favourite one is the single-pager where Megg and Mogg drop acid right before Werewolf Jones comes in screaming about them helping find his buttplug
Owl completely fucked up, being pushed through a Drive-Thru in a shopping cart with his cock out.
I almost died.
It's SO grim, but SO good.

Artie Fufkin

madhair60

Custard

But when Owl gets anything good in his life, i.e. a dream job or a holiday or a girlfriend, the others find a way to cack all over it. His sad little face. And that's not even bringing up what they all did to him when they got him alone in that room, in the first book

For some reason, Megg's unshaven legs always make me laff too. She is weirdly attractive though, so no wonder they all fancy her.

Werewolf Jones though. What a life

Comixology have already started a few sales on various titles. I swear they're gonna end me

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 12, 2019, 09:54:52 AM

For some reason, Megg's unshaven legs always make me laff too. She is weirdly attractive though, so no wonder they all fancy her.

On the horse "I'm a rich bitch!". Arousing.....

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 12, 2019, 09:54:52 AM
But when Owl gets anything good in his life, i.e. a dream job or a holiday or a girlfriend, the others find a way to cack all over it. His sad little face. And that's not even bringing up what they all did to him when they got him alone in that room, in the first book
He doesn't really care in the end though, does he? The twat.

Custard

Heh, probably not.

Rover Red Charlie is lovely stuff. Really enjoyed that. Cheers for recommending it

Anyone read 110 Percent? I bought it on a whim, and ended up really liking it. It's about these three middle-aged women who become obsessed with a popular boy band, and it soon puts a serious strain on their personal lives, and with each other

It has funny moments, but it's actually quite bleak in parts, and you end up feeling a bit sad for them. It's not amazing or anything, but well worth a butchers.

Currently on sale http://www.comixology.com/110-Percent/digital-comic/21348

Artie Fufkin

I've just started this. It seems to be an anthology loosely connected by the mysterious 'Ice Cream Man' and two FBI Agents (?). The first story was a bit *mweh*, the second was better.

kidsick5000

The last ever LOEG by Moore and O'Neill is out.
It's dense, as expected. Am slowly going through it.

Caution: It gets meta

Norton Canes

Our very own Jumble Cashback is back on Judge Dredd art duties in this week's 2000 AD (prog 2140)

(I know he does a lot more in the Meg but I don't get that sorry JC)

garbed_attic

Quote from: madhair60 on July 11, 2019, 01:46:43 PM
My copy of Gateway hasn't arrived yet, but I'm excited and a little scared.  This'll be the first one I've read properly, in book form, before I read scans online (sorry, Simon... I bought all your books brand new on the strength of those scans, so I hope you got my money!)

You read it now Stu?

Mister Six

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 17, 2019, 04:59:42 PM
Our very own Jumble Cashback is back on Judge Dredd art duties in this week's 2000 AD (prog 2140)

(I know he does a lot more in the Meg but I don't get that sorry JC)

Coo. What's Kimble's real name? PM me if that's not the kind of thing we should talk about on here.

Small Man Big Horse

Army Of Darkness / Bubba Ho-Tep - A shameless cash in which fails to understand what was so great about both films and is just tedious fight scenes 95% of the time.

Mars Attacks Popeye - Whereas this is actually surprisingly quite charming, a very simplistic but fun take on what might happen if the earth was ever invaded on Popeye's watch.

ZoyzaSorris

Thanks to whoever recommended the fall of deadworld thing, first bit of 2000 ad stuff ive checked out in about 25 years (dont really do comics much) - thoroughly enjoyed it, spectacularly fucked up indeed. Like 'the road' x HR Giger with lots of fun not so subtle real life allusions thrown in. The ageing biggy titbo conspiracist red neck grandad actually being on the money with his bizarre theories about weather control was a nice humorous touch, the dark humour throughout stops the whole thing just being an exercise in pointless grimness. Incredible artwork. And thanks to smbh for the nod to the free comic viewer. Bit skint.

Custard

Paper Girls is ending with the next issue, no. 30. I've only started reading it this month, but I've ended up enjoying it so much that I've read the lot, and looking forward to seeing how it wraps up

Brian K Vaughan has become somewhat of a favourite of mine. Loved Saga and Y: The Last Man, and this has been excellent too. He's a very good writer and storyteller, and he's good at these sprawling "epic" series

Started reading Letter 44 too. It's an attempt at a "realistic" take of what it'd be like if we made contact with aliens. Only a few issues in, but gripped already. I can't remember if it was actually recommended in this thread, so if it was, then fanxxx!

Also started on Batman Rebirth. The introduction of Gotham and Miss Gotham made me laugh out loud. Hopefully that was the aim. Love the art in this one

madhair60

Quote from: gout_pony on July 17, 2019, 07:05:27 PM
You read it now Stu?

Only the first quarter or so. It's a bigger format than I expected so it's a bit of an inconvenient one.

"Game over" made me burst out laughing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 23, 2019, 01:01:34 PM
Paper Girls is ending with the next issue, no. 30. I've only started reading it this month, but I've ended up enjoying it so much that I've read the lot, and looking forward to seeing how it wraps up

Brian K Vaughan has become somewhat of a favourite of mine. Loved Saga and Y: The Last Man, and this has been excellent too. He's a very good writer and storyteller, and he's good at these sprawling "epic" series

I'm kind of saddened to hear that as I've been really enjoying it and the plot is so crazy that it could have gone on for at least another ten issues or so, if not many more. Still, at least this should mean it'll be a really tight, lean, satisfying read, and I'm looking forward to seeing how everything comes to a close.

Custard

Yeah, it's really excellent isn't it?

Was surprised when I read it was ending. The end of issue 29 says To Be Concluded. So I did a bit of googling, and it's indeed ending at 30, with is out the 27th apparently.

Maybe he's jumping back into Saga? He has said there's one final run of issues for that still to come, which is great news

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 23, 2019, 05:37:13 PM
Yeah, it's really excellent isn't it?

Was surprised when I read it was ending. The end of issue 29 says To Be Concluded. So I did a bit of googling, and it's indeed ending at 30, with is out the 27th apparently.

Maybe he's jumping back into Saga? He has said there's one final run of issues for that still to come, which is great news

I know the break from Saga was supposed to be for a year, but can't remember when 45 came out now. I'm only up to 35 as I was enjoying it a huge amount but decided I wanted to wait until it was all finished before binging it all in one go. And like you I'm a fan the man in general, and really need to check out The Private Eye as I hear good things about it.

madhair60

First issue of Hickman's X-Men is the most excited I've been about Mutants in years. I gave up on my lifelong love of X-Men after Secret Wars ushered in a succession of pure toilet, but I'm back now.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: madhair60 on July 25, 2019, 12:28:25 PM
First issue of Hickman's X-Men is the most excited I've been about Mutants in years. I gave up on my lifelong love of X-Men after Secret Wars ushered in a succession of pure toilet, but I'm back now.
Aww, man. Love Hickman. Will check that out. Thanks for the heads up.
Nice profile pic, too.