Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:48:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Has anyone read any Hellboy or BPRD stuff?

Looks interesting.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kidsick5000 on February 15, 2018, 04:43:00 PM
"These days"!?! Do you remember how long it took him to finish Planetary?

Oops, didn't see that now and you are of course right, but at least he did finish it rather than getting bored after about eight issues.

Quote from: bgmnts on February 25, 2018, 04:10:00 PM

Looks interesting.

I've never got on with them to be honest, but I know I'm in the minority and they have a huge fan base.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11 - Only 12 issues this time around and all the better for it. Story wise it's not the most original thing, as after a massive supernatural battle the US Government bring back concentration camps for all supernatural beings, but it has a great sense of fun (at one point Xander gets to transform in to the Vice President whilst Buffy and Willow interrogate the real one elsewhere) and the dialogue was sharper in general, and whilst it's hardly subtle they do at least explore some interesting ideas and themes. I've had mixed feelings about Buffy's Dark Horse run but this was easily the best season yet.

Small Man Big Horse

The Terrifics! No. 1 - New DC series from Jeff Lemire (who I'm immensely fond of) which teams together Plastic Man, Metamorpho, Mr Terrific, and someone else whose name I can't remember. The art's superb and their really using Plastic Man in delightful ways, and hopefully this will continue being a great deal of fun.

Outcast No.28 - 31 - More grim stuff from Robert Kirkman, this at least moves at a decent enough pace and has a few characters I'm fond of. Not something I'd ever pay to read but it passes the time well enough.

BritishHobo

I was on the verge of just giving in and buying the Buffy season 10 paperbacks, but it seems they've recently very quietly announced the first Library Edition so fuck it, I'm just gonna hold out, even though it's going to take them til probably til summer 2020 to finish the season, and 2022 before they even start talking about season 11's library editions. To be honest I've not thought about the comics in ages, but the recent news about Joss Whedon coming back for season 12 has reminded me, and gotten me swept up in excitement again.

Glad to hear you're really enjoying season 11, although I mostly skimmed your post for paranoid fear of spoilers.

kidsick5000

Quote from: bgmnts on February 25, 2018, 04:10:00 PM

Looks interesting.

Hellboy is one of the best, most entertaining comics I've ever read.
Just to qualify that, it's the best when Mike Mignola is on both writing and art duties.
His unique illustration style, the odd silent panels that just provide a beat in the narrative both make it hard to recreate.

Get any and all of Mignola's run

bgmnts

Quote from: kidsick5000 on March 03, 2018, 10:40:23 AM
Hellboy is one of the best, most entertaining comics I've ever read.
Just to qualify that, it's the best when Mike Mignola is on both writing and art duties.
His unique illustration style, the odd silent panels that just provide a beat in the narrative both make it hard to recreate.

Get any and all of Mignola's run

Ta mate will check it out.

kidsick5000

Quote from: bgmnts on March 03, 2018, 11:05:49 AM
Ta mate will check it out.

I'll just add, when other artists are on duty, it's not terrible - it's just not the same

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 01, 2018, 03:14:43 PM
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11 - Only 12 issues this time around and all the better for it. Story wise it's not the most original thing, as after a massive supernatural battle the US Government bring back concentration camps for all supernatural beings, but it has a great sense of fun (at one point Xander gets to transform in to the Vice President whilst Buffy and Willow interrogate the real one elsewhere) and the dialogue was sharper in general, and whilst it's hardly subtle they do at least explore some interesting ideas and themes. I've had mixed feelings about Buffy's Dark Horse run but this was easily the best season yet.

I've always found the comics hard to get through, the main reason being Georges Jeanty's art. The faces of the girls are too similar. Its an age old problem with comics. The astounding cover art (in this case by Jo Chen) over-promises what is inside

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kidsick5000 on March 06, 2018, 02:48:49 PM
I've always found the comics hard to get through, the main reason being Georges Jeanty's art. The faces of the girls are too similar. Its an age old problem with comics. The astounding cover art (in this case by Jo Chen) over-promises what is inside

I know what you mean, sometimes he captures the look of the characters well but at others it's embarrassingly weak. I'm sure it used to be better during season 8 but it's gone downhill since and is almost cartoonish at times and puts me off a little.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 02, 2018, 05:56:59 PM
The Terrifics! No. 1 - New DC series from Jeff Lemire (who I'm immensely fond of) which teams together Plastic Man, Metamorpho, Mr Terrific, and someone else whose name I can't remember. The art's superb and their really using Plastic Man in delightful ways, and hopefully this will continue being a great deal of fun.

It's a native of Bgtzl, and from the name it's a relative/ancestor of Tinya Wazzo (Phantom Girl). I was a bit annoyed it wasn't actually Tinya, as I assumed when I saw the cover. I miss the LSH, and hoped it was part of a comeback. Although not written by Paul Levitz, who really dropped the ball on the last go-around.

Small Man Big Horse

Despicable Deadpool No. 295 - My first ever Deadpool comic, chosen at random. And it was okay, the art's strong and the dialogue was fine, the plot vaguely amusing, but I've no urge to ever read it or any more of the series again.

Alien Pig Farm 3000 No. 1 - 4 - Image mini-series from the actor Thomas Jane, and essentially rednecks vs aliens. There are way too many incest jokes but it's a fast breezy read, even if I felt dirty after reading it.

Shade The Changing Woman No.1 - Because Shade The Changing Girl died apparently, but is now back with a new body. I didn't get on with the previous series but this seems more interesting, though it does border on pretentiousness at times.

BritishHobo

Thanks to birthday and birthday money, I now own half the Complete Peanuts volumes. Or just over - I think there's twenty-four, and I'm up to thirteen.

Still only reading volume 4 though. It's mad to think how much stuff is already established, that Schulz would carry on with for over forty years. Charlie Brown's failed to kick his first football, the earlier characters like Shermy have faded away for Linus and Lucy to take centre stage.

Small Man Big Horse

Doom Patrol No. 9 & 10 - Gerard Way's sequel to the Morrison run continues to rip off pay homage to him by bringing back Mr Nobody and the Brotherhood of Dada (though they're the Brotherhood of Nada this time around). I want to like it as I'm so fond of Morrison's Vertigo series (and even Keith Giffen's cancelled too soon version) and some of the ideas are interesting, but there's something about Way's dialogue that sometimes irritates me.

ads82

Currently making my way through Robert Kirkman's Invincible, I'm up to issue 20 and really enjoying it so far. Though the tone does vary wildly from slightly cheesy teenage romance to full on ultra violent superhero battles. Maybe that's what it makes it so enjoyable!

Small Man Big Horse

Groo vs Conan (2014 graphic novel) - Yep, it's the crossover the world waited decades to see, as Sergo Aragones Groo goes up against Conan The Barbarian. It's a mixture of fourth wall breaking as Sergio and Mark Evanier try to save a comic book store, but Aragones ends up being beaten up the police and hallucinating, which leads in to Conan and Groo meeting up for some shits and giggles. I loved Groo as a kid and so the nostalgia element is fairly big for me, and so I might be slightly biased, but I liked this an awful lot and found it a lot funnier that I expected it to be. The art's a mixture of 'traditional Conan' and Aragones cartoonery and surprisingly it works really well. So yeah, I'm quite surprised by how much I liked this, it's the most fun I've had reading a comic this year.

Gulftastic

I'd like to get back into Groo. It must be two decades since I last read any. Is Chakaal still a feature?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 10, 2018, 05:24:50 PM
I'd like to get back into Groo. It must be two decades since I last read any. Is Chakaal still a feature?

It was about the same amount of time for me, and she's not in this and I'm afraid don't know what happened to her character in general. Unfortunately the series isn't published monthly anymore, but I've just read the wiki page and it has had a fair few mini and maxi-series over recent years which I now plan to check out.

kidsick5000

Quote from: ads82 on March 10, 2018, 04:16:17 PM
Currently making my way through Robert Kirkman's Invincible, I'm up to issue 20 and really enjoying it so far. Though the tone does vary wildly from slightly cheesy teenage romance to full on ultra violent superhero battles. Maybe that's what it makes it so enjoyable!

It's great, and even better, it's finite - just had a great sign off issue.
Some fantastic ideas are in there.

Norton Canes

Read the first TPB of Prophet, Brandon Graham's revisioning of a 90's Image Comics character. Superb stuff - light on dialogue but almost disconcertingly visceral, as the lead character (all of him, if that's not a spoiler) is frequently subjected to gruesome injuries and hideous diseases and mutations. Bloodthirsty stuff delivered in an uncompromising fashion, but not so excessive as to be over-the-top.

"Set approximately ten thousand years in the future, the human race is all but extinct. Years after a war that spanned galaxies, Earth is overrun by xenomorphs and parasites. After what's perhaps generations of silence, an Earth Empire signal awakes dozens, maybe hundreds of cryo-sleeping John Prophet clones embedded in alien worlds all throughout the universe. And so far, it's been wild, weird, epic, and nothing less than brilliant"

I was inspired to read it after artist Simon Roy illustrated a one-off Dredd in 2000 AD a few months ago. He took a lot of stick for it because he has a pretty individual style that a lot of prog devotees didn't think suited the strip. Well they are Philistines, 'cos he's ace. 

One of his covers for Prophet:

A panel from his Dredd story:

Norton Canes

Oh, and 2000 AD is almost infinitely more enjoyable since last week's jumping-on prog. Gone are the interminable Pat Mills re-re-re-re-re-writes and the ill-advised return of Bad Company, and in come Jaegir, Sinister Dexter, Anderson and Wagner/Ezquerra on Stronium Dog. And the current Dredd story is excellent too.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 28, 2018, 03:51:43 PM
Oh, and 2000 AD is almost infinitely more enjoyable since last week's jumping-on prog. Gone are the interminable Pat Mills re-re-re-re-re-writes and the ill-advised return of Bad Company, and in come Jaegir, Sinister Dexter, Anderson and Wagner/Ezquerra on Stronium Dog. And the current Dredd story is excellent too.

Yes - have this prog sitting in my 'to read' pile. Must do so over the weekend, and make the decision as to whether or not subscribe again.
Just finished Vol 3 of Saga, which continues to be awesome. Something delightful in every issue.

Phil_A

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 28, 2018, 03:51:43 PM

Yeah, was going to mention this - a really big lift in quality after weeks in the doldrums. I do seriously think Rob Williams is the most exciting writer currently working on Dredd, and in John Wagner's absence seems to be the one whose stories "matter" in the overall narrative.

Spiteface

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers continues to be awesome. Now heading right into "Shattered Grid" which is basically Power Rangers does a big multiverse Crisis kind of storyline (Time Force already popped up with RPM and Dino Charge glimpsed, more to come) but I think one of the highlights of the comics so far has been SHEEPLE:

Artie Fufkin

Just starting to re-read the I Kill Giants gn. This is one of my all time favourite comics, like, EVAH. And I wanted to read it again before they ruin it with the film* It's such a beautiful thing. So emotional.

*I really hope they don't ruin it with the film

Norton Canes

One more thing about the latest prog - it features, shockingly, only the second ever cover in the comic's 41 years to be drawn by a woman...

(100 points for anyone who can name the other? It's not too obscure)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on March 30, 2018, 11:24:04 AM
Just starting to re-read the I Kill Giants gn. This is one of my all time favourite comics, like, EVAH. And I wanted to read it again before they ruin it with the film* It's such a beautiful thing. So emotional.

*I really hope they don't ruin it with the film

I read this yesterday thanks to your recommendation and did find it all rather sweet. It's pretty predictable, but the writing and art are strong enough to overcome this. I'm planning to watch the film at some point, and the reviews are mostly positive, but I've doubts they'll pull it off as effectively as the comic does.

bushwick

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 31, 2018, 12:50:09 PM
One more thing about the latest prog - it features, shockingly, only the second ever cover in the comic's 41 years to be drawn by a woman...

(100 points for anyone who can name the other? It's not too obscure)

At a guess, Angie Kincaid with a Slaine cover?

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 31, 2018, 02:05:04 PM
I read this yesterday thanks to your recommendation and did find it all rather sweet. It's pretty predictable, but the writing and art are strong enough to overcome this. I'm planning to watch the film at some point, and the reviews are mostly positive, but I've doubts they'll pull it off as effectively as the comic does.

I've just watched the trailer for the first time. Yeah, looks like it could be good. The Titan looks really good. Still not holding my breath.

Norton Canes

garbed_attic

There's a big Fantagraphics sale on at Comixology at the moment:
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Fantagraphics-Sale/page/3492?tid=B140912003_Fantagraphics_Fantagraphics_Linewi

Simon Hanselmann's charmingly debauched melancholia and Los Bros Love and Rockets comics for lower prices than they deserve!

Both have really helped me get through bad patches of mental health for very different reasons. Megg and Mogg is comforting in the way that Always Sunny is comforting - if such wretches are human, you must be human too. Love and Rockets is like being given a great extended family of cool fuck-ups and Almodovar-style mothers. Basically, all the appeal of a soap (watching characters age in real-time over 30 years of comics) but impeccably written and drawn and at least one character courtesy of each brother who you'll fall in with [for me it's Maggie in Jaime's and Venus in Gilbert's - partly cause the latter is basically my sister].

I already owned all of that so instead I made the most exciting digital purchase I've made this year - Al Columbia's Pim and Francie. I'd wanted to get hold of the hardcover collection for years but it was always so exorbitantly expensive and I never ever thought that somewhere along the way Fantagraphics might provide a scan... and I actually think a pdf. file might be the best way to read it.

Pim and Francie is like if a Walt Disney employee circa. 1929 lost their mind, became a reclusive serial killer and kept a scrapbook. Pim and Francie is that scrapbook. Or else, if Necronomicon was written in Who Framed Roger Rabbit's Toontown.

I think at first appearance it might seem like Columbia just uses basic shock tactics - combining the innocent look of old Disney with fucked up shit - but I think he's just as good (if not better) than celebrated artists like Paul McCarthy at dredging up the most infantile psychosexual horror... in many ways similar to David Lynch's visual art, but Columbia's has none of Lynch's painterly primitivism - he has serious drawing chops.

However, he also is notorious for sabotaging his own output, ripping up half-completed drawings or destroying commissioned work. As such, Pim and Francie is feat of salvage. You get traces of narrative, but the whole thing feels as though it is falling apart as the seams while you read it. I actually found the experience of reading it through very late last night while slightly feverish provided the experience I had hoped to get out of reading House of Leaves, but didn't.

This is where it being a .pdf file comes in helpful. Sometimes I was zooming right in to examine the half-erased residue of background details Columbia clearly got dissatisfied with, getting lost among the textures of paint and tippex. Other times I was turning the monitor sideways (I probably should have just rotated the file) to read scribbled notes in the margins; suddenly noticing a couple of tiny spots of blood on the page or a concerning stain on a piece taped back together after having been ripped apart in frustration or anger.

Other times I was having to zoom right out to see a whole panorama and understand that what I had thought was just a single image was actually part of a whole longer comics chain.

In short, you have to read it under the right conditions, letting yourself take the imaginative leap into engaging with the work on an intuitive, sensory level. It's kind of like Twin Peaks: The Return that way.

Anyway, if you like horror and 1920s-1930s animation it is recommended in the strongest possible terms...
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Pim-Francie-The-Golden-Bear-Days/digital-comic/413605