Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:45:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on August 01, 2019, 03:25:51 PM
I bought the digital omnibuses earlier this year ago. Been sitting in my 'to read' pile. Gonna make a start on them tonight / tomoz. I've already read the first 2 'physical' tpbs, a long time ago.

Ah, hold on then, because the digital omnibuses might not include the miniseries (per the above posts).

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Mister Six on August 01, 2019, 03:45:01 PM
Ah, hold on then, because the digital omnibuses might not include the miniseries (per the above posts).

They do not, no. Which is why I bought the spin-offs earlier. I checked all the contents of the omnibuses (omnibii), and it's just the basic issue 1 - 72(?).

Mister Six

Madness. Yeah, the main series stopped at 72.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 01, 2019, 07:58:58 AM
Paper Girls had a good ending, too. Gutted that's over

I've just read it now and aren't sure what to think. It was certainly touching and poignant and suggests that despite the memory wipe they will stay friends, but I still found myself wishing they could have still retained their memories somehow. And I get that if they had it might have fucked (some) of them up enormously, but it still feels rather tragic that they have no idea about the things they went through together.

Custard

Yeah, I know what you mean SMBH, but SPOILERZ AHEAD.....

I kinda liked that they ended up as pals anyway. So maybe some remnant of that time is still somehow pulling them together. I thought it was quite sweet

I liked that the time travel and fantasy elements were wrapped up in the last issue, so the final one could just be about the friendship between the four of them. Lovely stuff

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 04, 2019, 12:19:44 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean SMBH, but SPOILERZ AHEAD.....

I kinda liked that they ended up as pals anyway. So maybe some remnant of that time is still somehow pulling them together. I thought it was quite sweet

I liked that the time travel and fantasy elements were wrapped up in the last issue, so the final one could just be about the friendship between the four of them. Lovely stuff

I liked that aspect too, it allowed the ending to breathe and be affecting after all the fast paced craziness of the previous issues, and it's definitely a series I look back upon really fondly, and would definitely recommend to others. I'm looking forward to the proposed tv version too, but hope they stick to the comics and make it a limited event, maybe three seasons at the most.

Edit: Doctor Who Issues 9 and 10 - A fun adventure which involves the timelady Corsair from before she was killed, I really wish Jody Houser was given a job writing for the tv series as she captures the characters incredibly well and the plots are always enjoyable too, hell, she even had Yaz say something funny in the most recent issue.

Glebe

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #6: Brings things to a conclusion with some larks and meta-stuff, nothing mind-blowing but there are some nice little touches.

I've got Catwoman: When in Rome sitting there unread these past few weeks.

Small Man Big Horse

Batman 77 - In which Bane snaps Alfred's neck, killing him. Ugh. Who knows if it really is him too as it could be Clayface or any other shapeshifting villain, or some sort of psychological trickery, and I doubt it'll stick forever even if it genuinely is him, so I can't find myself caring that much.

madhair60

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 24, 2019, 03:30:20 PM
Batman 77 - In which Bane snaps Alfred's neck, killing him. Ugh. Who knows if it really is him too as it could be Clayface or any other shapeshifting villain, or some sort of psychological trickery, and I doubt it'll stick forever even if it genuinely is him, so I can't find myself caring that much.

Honestly thought it was a really good issue.

I like King's Batman a lot.

madhair60

Anywhere good to get TPBs for Cheap? I'm tired of eBay and amazon

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: madhair60 on August 26, 2019, 05:32:53 PM
Honestly thought it was a really good issue.

I like King's Batman a lot.

I didn't mind it as a whole, but big deaths are just meaningless to me as they pretty much never stick.

madhair60

Sonic the Comic/2000AD artist and avowedly lovely chap Nigel Dobbyn has passed away at 56. Very sad news.

gmoney

Can anyone recommend any decent Avengers collections? I picked up Avengers vs X-Men for £8 the other day and found myself really enjoying it, but I have no idea of what is any good.

Phil_A

Quote from: madhair60 on August 30, 2019, 01:26:22 PM
Sonic the Comic/2000AD artist and avowedly lovely chap Nigel Dobbyn has passed away at 56. Very sad news.

It's a shame he was prominent in the shit years of 2000AD where his talents were wasted on a lot of mediocre stuff.
There was story he was asked to draw the final script of Mark Millar's awful Dredd spin-off Red Razors, and he disliked the ending so much he just decided to change it off his own back - no-one seemed to notice.

madhair60

Quote from: gmoney on August 30, 2019, 05:18:16 PM
Can anyone recommend any decent Avengers collections? I picked up Avengers vs X-Men for £8 the other day and found myself really enjoying it, but I have no idea of what is any good.

I will get shit for this, but Avengers or New Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis is one I always found enjoyable.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 01, 2019, 02:34:50 PM
I will get shit for this, but Avengers or New Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis is one I always found enjoyable.
I loved them, too. Especially New Avengers.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Phil_A on August 30, 2019, 06:34:30 PM
It's a shame he was prominent in the shit years of 2000AD where his talents were wasted on a lot of mediocre stuff.
There was story he was asked to draw the final script of Mark Millar's awful Dredd spin-off Red Razors, and he disliked the ending so much he just decided to change it off his own back - no-one seemed to notice.

I will have to check that out. I don't think I read any of Dobbyn's Razors, only Steve Yeowell's. An odd choice to take over from Yeowell. As I remember it, Red Razors was a very Deadline/Tank Girl influenced strip. I'm guessing it was commissioned with the task of "violence and as many pop-culture references as you can manage". So you got modern (for the day) nods to Vic Reeves' Big Night Out along with Swap Shop and old Hanna Barbera cartoons.

I'm not sure that 30 years will have been kind to it

Phil_A

Quote from: kidsick5000 on September 07, 2019, 06:47:47 AM
I will have to check that out. I don't think I read any of Dobbyn's Razors, only Steve Yeowell's. An odd choice to take over from Yeowell. As I remember it, Red Razors was a very Deadline/Tank Girl influenced strip. I'm guessing it was commissioned with the task of "violence and as many pop-culture references as you can manage". So you got modern (for the day) nods to Vic Reeves' Big Night Out along with Swap Shop and old Hanna Barbera cartoons.

I'm not sure that 30 years will have been kind to it

It hasn't, believe me.

As far as I'm aware, the circumstances of Dobbyn coming to draw the final Red Razors story was that the strip had been commissioned for the Megazine as a follow-up to the original Red Razors story in 1991, which then editor Dave Bishop declined to use because it was so poor. But because the publishers IPC had a rule that all commissioned material had to be printed at some point, they had no choice but to eventually run the strip three years later in 2000AD, by which time Millar and Yeowell had moved on to other things (and presumably Millar either never actually saw the changed ending or didn't care).

ads82

I'm about halfway through Robert Kirkman's Invincible and really enjoying it. The multiple ongoing storylines and the insanely violent battles with the bad guys are awesome.

So I wanted to know if The Walking Dead is worth a read? I've never seen the show but I've been put off reading the comic by all the negativity surrounding the recent seasons. Did the show do the comic a disservice or are they both as bad as each other?

garbed_attic

Quote from: ads82 on September 14, 2019, 08:17:03 PM
I'm about halfway through Robert Kirkman's Invincible and really enjoying it. The multiple ongoing storylines and the insanely violent battles with the bad guys are awesome.

So I wanted to know if The Walking Dead is worth a read? I've never seen the show but I've been put off reading the comic by all the negativity surrounding the recent seasons. Did the show do the comic a disservice or are they both as bad as each other?

It's a bit dour!

ads82

I don't mind a bit of dour! I also like ongoing narratives with compelling storytelling and characters you can invest in. I reckon Invincible does a pretty good job of ticking those boxes, does The Walking Dead do the same?

Mister Six

The Walking Dead is pretty decent for a while, but it's an everlasting zombie movie, which means endless repetition of "characters find a safe space, internal dynamics or outside threats force them to move on, repeat". I gave up somewhere around issue 50, I think. I didn't make it past the first season of the show, which was dogshit. Characters in the comic are much more engaging, I think.

ads82

Quote from: Mister Six on September 14, 2019, 09:07:25 PM
The Walking Dead is pretty decent for a while, but it's an everlasting zombie movie, which means endless repetition of "characters find a safe space, internal dynamics or outside threats force them to move on, repeat". I gave up somewhere around issue 50, I think. I didn't make it past the first season of the show, which was dogshit. Characters in the comic are much more engaging, I think.

Thank you for that Mister Six. Based on your write up I'll probably give it a miss. One of the things I love about Invincible is how it can shakes things up and expand it's universe. TWD seems like a massive investment for what appears to be one long zombie movie.

Spiteface

Quote from: ads82 on September 14, 2019, 08:17:03 PM

I got into the comic right after the first (and still best, although I've not seen the most recent) season was on telly. What I found while I was watching the show and reading the comic was that ordinarily I would be interested in how a TV show would diverge from the comic, I was disappointed when The Walking Dead TV show did things differently.

Also,they MASSIVELY dropped the ball with the Governor and Negan, although Jeffrey Dean Morgan is perfect in the sweary uncut version of his intro speech. It feels like issue 100 of the comic brought to life.

And yes, it can get repetitive. I thought they might go somewhere with a civil war storyline, that never materialised. That would at least have put a newer spin on things.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: ads82 on September 14, 2019, 09:02:46 PM
I don't mind a bit of dour! I also like ongoing narratives with compelling storytelling and characters you can invest in. I reckon Invincible does a pretty good job of ticking those boxes, does The Walking Dead do the same?

I'm very fond of Invincible myself but as others have said The Walking Dead was only good for a while, and for me post issue 100 it became absolute dog shit.

Custard

Yeah, The Wàlking Dead is absolutely worth reading up to issue 100. Some absolutely fantastic issues up to then. The telly show is a joke

madhair60

Invincible is probably the best long form superhero comic, helps that it actually has an ending.

magval

Ultimate Spider-Man, the initial Peter Parker run, deserves a mention in that conversation too. Another great contained run with an ending.

kidsick5000

Quote from: madhair60 on September 15, 2019, 04:10:42 PM
Invincible is probably the best long form superhero comic, helps that it actually has an ending.

I must reread Invincible. It went a bit wobbly when it suddenly expanded and I lost track, coming back for that final issues.
Otherwise, it maintained an incredible high level of thrills

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 15, 2019, 04:10:42 PM
I got about halfway through, and although I loved it, stopped for some reason. Must re-read and finish sometime. I still think my favourite Kirkman run was on the re-boot of Marvel Team-Up. Bloody loved that, so I did. With a special appearance of someone not in the MU, dare I say....