Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,475
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:53:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbed_attic

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 19, 2019, 09:31:21 PM
I keep waiting for Love and Rockets to be in a Comixology sale, but it never is. Sadly

Deffo on my To Bloody Read ASAP list!

That's not true! The collections sometimes are! Of course, you can always order all thousands of page of them through your local library service like I did.

Seriously, if you live in Suffolk, I basically asked them to buy all of Love and Rockets and they did!

Artie Fufkin

I bought The Girl From H.O.P.P.E.R.S for £2.99 earlier this year....
I only got about a quarter way through before I gave up. Maybe just wasn't in the right mood for it? I will give it another go sometime.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on November 20, 2019, 08:25:58 AM
I bought The Girl From H.O.P.P.E.R.S for £2.99 earlier this year....
I only got about a quarter way through before I gave up. Maybe just wasn't in the right mood for it? I will give it another go sometime.

You might find starting with Gilberto's 'Palomar' comics more to your taste. It's what I did

samadriel

I've been eating up a bit of Valiant's output lately on Comixology -- the first XO Manowar and Harbinger omnibuses (omnibi?) -- and I've generally enjoyed it.   XO Manowar is quite a simplistic read, but it's fun seeing an overpowered Visigoth wiping out baddies en masse; I say overpowered, but XOM reminds me of the manga Crying Freeman, in that the lead is openly indestructible and never imperiled for very long, but it's still a lot of fun seeing his superiority play out.  The old-timey dialogue can be pretty corny, but it's not all like that.  Harbinger is a very different experience, it's more sophisticated than XOM (not that that's saying much), and it's kind of an expy for X-Men, but with more intense suffering among its leads, and a more complicated Magneto figure.  It also reminded me of Akira a little bit, with its focus on sometimes-creepy psychic powers.  Looking forward to reading more Harbinger, and tucking into Archer and Armstrong and Ninjak, both of which I've heard good things about.  And yes, I am very late to this party.  Can someone tell me if the 2017 XOM series is a reboot?  That'd disappoint me, I didn't start from the ground floor just to see a reboot published five years in...

Also got started on Immortal Hulk, having read such good words about recent issues from SMBH.  It seems to be tapping into Hulk's horror roots a bit, which is quite different for me -- my only previous Hulk experience is Charles Soule's fun She-Hulk books.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: samadriel on November 22, 2019, 11:42:30 AM
I've been eating up a bit of Valiant's output lately on Comixology -- the first XO Manowar and Harbinger omnibuses (omnibi?) -- and I've generally enjoyed it.   XO Manowar is quite a simplistic read, but it's fun seeing an overpowered Visigoth wiping out baddies en masse; I say overpowered, but XOM reminds me of the manga Crying Freeman, in that the lead is openly indestructible and never imperiled for very long, but it's still a lot of fun seeing his superiority play out.  The old-timey dialogue can be pretty corny, but it's not all like that.  Harbinger is a very different experience, it's more sophisticated than XOM (not that that's saying much), and it's kind of an expy for X-Men, but with more intense suffering among its leads, and a more complicated Magneto figure.  It also reminded me of Akira a little bit, with its focus on sometimes-creepy psychic powers.  Looking forward to reading more Harbinger, and tucking into Archer and Armstrong and Ninjak, both of which I've heard good things about.  And yes, I am very late to this party.  Can someone tell me if the 2017 XOM series is a reboot?  That'd disappoint me, I didn't start from the ground floor just to see a reboot published five years in...

Also got started on Immortal Hulk, having read such good words about recent issues from SMBH.  It seems to be tapping into Hulk's horror roots a bit, which is quite different for me -- my only previous Hulk experience is Charles Soule's fun She-Hulk books.

I hope you enjoy the Immortal Hulk, and it definitely heads down the horror road, I remember a couple of patchy issues (possibly 11 or 12, but I might be wrong) but then there's a real return to form and I'm loving what Ewing's doing with the title now.

samadriel

Aw, talk about bad timing...  but yeah, buy it folks.

Custard

Small Man Big Horse

The new version of Hellblazer launched today, it's okay, far better than anything that's featured Constantine since the original run came to an end, but I don't know, something felt a bit off about John's characterisation. The jokes he's telling at the beginning were weak, and I didn't find him to be the amiable bastard he normally is, I'll give it a few more issues to see if it improves but it's a disappointing beginning even if it is swearier and more horrific than it's been in a fair while.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 27, 2019, 03:17:04 PM
The new version of Hellblazer launched today, it's okay, far better than anything that's featured Constantine since the original run came to an end, but I don't know, something felt a bit off about John's characterisation. The jokes he's telling at the beginning were weak, and I didn't find him to be the amiable bastard he normally is, I'll give it a few more issues to see if it improves but it's a disappointing beginning even if it is swearier and more horrific than it's been in a fair while.

Who's doing this run, SMBH?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on November 27, 2019, 04:27:38 PM
Who's doing this run, SMBH?

It's by Simon Spurrier with (impressive) art from Aaron Campbell. Can't say I was familiar with either beforehand though apparently Spurrier's done a fair bit of work for 2000AD in the past.

Artie Fufkin

I've enjoyesd Spurrier in the past, tbf.
Will check it out.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on November 27, 2019, 04:44:58 PM
I've enjoyesd Spurrier in the past, tbf.
Will check it out.

It wasn't meant as a dig in any way, just that I wasn't aware of him. And I've just discovered that they did a one shot last month before launching the series properly, I've no idea why but it's probably worth checking out as well.

Oh, and it's part of something called The Sandman Universe, though I'm out of touch with what's going on with DC these days so don't know what that consists of (other than the obvious).

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 27, 2019, 04:50:49 PM
It wasn't meant as a dig in any way

And I wasn't suggesting it was.
Thanks for the heads up on this.

Small Man Big Horse

Ah, sorry, misunderstood the "tbf" thing, it doesn't take much to confuse me these days! And I hope you enjoy it more than I do, it's not that it's bad, and the story is an intriguing one, but I just didn't feel they quite get John. Then again I'm still annoyed that they're back to featuring the young version in the DC Universe, I miss the old one a great deal and wish they'd restart the original series at issue 301.

Mister Six

Ideally restart the original series pretending nobody wrote it after Carey left. And get China Mieville on board as the writer.

The Sandman Universe seems to be another sub-brand that basically encompasses the early non-creator-owned Veritgo titles like Hellblazer and Books of Magic. More managerial fuckuppery from the DC suits.

Spiteface

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers just got more interesting this week.

Kiya, the 4th member of the Omega Rangers looked into Jason's memories of Shattered Grid, pre-universe reset. Saw him fighting Lord Drakkon, she then meets the main Ranger team in earth, sees Tommy in his White ranger suit and is TRIGGERED. Now she's gone and murdered the Blue Emissary, has basically turned heel and wants to kill Tommy Oliver because he might become Lord Drakkon again. In spite of being told that Drakkon was an anomaly compared to Tommys from other universes.

Prior to this, the Omega Rangers took out Lord Zedd. This should be a good thing, but now Zordon's worried something worse is coming because the Omega Rangers have escalated things in doing what they did. Guessing possibly Master Vile (season 3 villain, Rita's dad), Machine Empire (the villain faction from Zeo) or Dark Specter (Zedd's boss, head of the United Alliance of Evil).

H-O-W-L

I've been reading Brubaker's run of Catwoman. It's really, really good up until Jimmy Palmiotti and Paul Gulacy take over the art and then the visual style becomes complete shit. I mean just look at this shit:

From beautiful, pastel-like, evocative, and smooth to complete shit.

H-O-W-L

God I fucking love Darwyn Cooke's art so fucking muchhhh.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on November 27, 2019, 06:35:35 PM
Ideally restart the original series pretending nobody wrote it after Carey left. And get China Mieville on board as the writer.

The Sandman Universe seems to be another sub-brand that basically encompasses the early non-creator-owned Veritgo titles like Hellblazer and Books of Magic. More managerial fuckuppery from the DC suits.

Speaking of which I read Books Of Magic 14 last night while suffering from insomnia, perhaps it was due to exhaustion but I found it laughably shit, where a poorly written John Constantine decides to feed Tim Hunter to some cannibals as he might turn out evil when he grows up, but then Hunter manages to get out it somewhat predictably. It was the first time I'd had anything to do with Hunter since the original Books Of Magic mini-series, and will probably be the last time now.

Batman 84 - Tom King's penultimate issue on the series sees Bats finally confront his Dad (from a parallel universe) for killing Alfred, but rather than that happening we get a bunch of flashbacks explaining how Thomas Wayne did it all so that Bruce would quit being Batman and be happy instead. I truly don't care at this point, and am just looking forward to King's run ending so I can stop reading the bloody thing, it's had it's moments but the ending is going to have to be stunning for it to be all worthwhile and I'd be amazed if it was.

Anyone read The Black Monday Murders? I've had my eye on the two volumes for a long time, and lo and behold, today they were 50% off on Comixology, so I took the plunge. I've been buying a lot of ho-hum stuff in the same vein on there lately (Abbott, Gideon Falls (actually pretty good, but I won't be buying the third volume), Harrow County) so I hope this will actually turn out to be proper good.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Sex Festival Organizer on December 04, 2019, 07:37:38 PM
I've been buying a lot of ho-hum stuff in the same vein on there lately (Abbott,
I read the first issue of Abbott. I liked it. Did you like the first issue, and it went downhill. Or did you not think much of any of it?

mikeyg27

Quote from: Sex Festival Organizer on December 04, 2019, 07:37:38 PM
Anyone read The Black Monday Murders? I've had my eye on the two volumes for a long time, and lo and behold, today they were 50% off on Comixology, so I took the plunge. I've been buying a lot of ho-hum stuff in the same vein on there lately (Abbott, Gideon Falls (actually pretty good, but I won't be buying the third volume), Harrow County) so I hope this will actually turn out to be proper good.

I read the first volume and it's right up my street, but if you're familiar with Hickman's Image work it won't be a massive revelation or anything - The Nightly News is very high on my list of favourite ever series and TBMM in many ways is just subbing out News Media with Big Finance. I wish Hickman would draw a book again.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: mikeyg27 on December 05, 2019, 11:17:03 AM
The Nightly News is very high on my list of favourite ever series

I have had this in my 'to read' pile for AGES.

Great story, huh?

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on December 05, 2019, 08:55:32 AM
I read the first issue of Abbott. I liked it. Did you like the first issue, and it went downhill. Or did you not think much of any of it?

I basically thought all the issues were equally average, even though the artwork was pretty good, and the setting and protagonist were quite cool. My main problem was just that the overall story didn't really grab me (and I thought it went too quickly to all out supernatural demonic horror and glowing-eyed, ceremonial blade-wielding maniacs; a slow burn would have been better, IMHO). But if you liked the first issue, I'd say there's a good chance you'd like the rest, as it's more of the same.

Quote from: mikeyg27 on December 05, 2019, 11:17:03 AM
I read the first volume and it's right up my street, but if you're familiar with Hickman's Image work it won't be a massive revelation or anything - The Nightly News is very high on my list of favourite ever series and TBMM in many ways is just subbing out News Media with Big Finance. I wish Hickman would draw a book again.

Not familiar with Hickman, Image work or otherwise, but sounds good. I read a few sample pages from the first issue a long time ago and liked it a lot, so I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing. And the synopsis makes it sound right up my street too...

Artie Fufkin

Hickman is great. His run on Avengers is just outstanding.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Sex Festival Organizer on December 05, 2019, 06:13:39 PM
But if you liked the first issue, I'd say there's a good chance you'd like the rest, as it's more of the same.

*thumb*

In other news, I'm currently reading Sucker Bait and Other Stories, a collection of EC Comics horror stories illustrated by Graham Ingels, perhaps better known as «Ghastly», and with an instantly recognizable style. And while the writing is often pretty ropey, Ingels's drawings never fail to amuse, be they of gentlemen of evil intent clawing helplessly at their own throat as they are slowly strangled to death by a rotting corpse, sultry vixens with massive bazongas lounging seductively on fancy loveseats, or a decaying zombie elephant chasing their former tormentor across the circus ring and slamming them again and again and again against the sawdust until they're nothing but a fine red mist wafting gently in the popcorn-infused air. In short, great fun, especially as I practically grew up on this stuff.

Reprints, of course, I'm not that fucking old.

samadriel

If you look in the comixology sales, there's an Animal Man omnibus (Morrison's run) going cheap. Apparently it's book 1 of 2, but I don't see book 2 anywhere yet.

Oh yes, and the Witcher Library edition is a good deal in the sales also, collects the other Witcher books affordably.

Custard

Is Animal Man decent then?

I don't usually like meta stuff like the character suddenly realising he's a character. That can get in ditch