Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:15:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

Sixth trade of Immortal Hulk came out. The anti-corporate Hulk is interesting, it's a bit of a chuckle having him tear down a media superpower. I don't like them as villains quite as much as the villains of the previous books though, the crazy gamma radiation stuff and the green door and Banner's dad seemed more... profound? Still, it's a good read, looking forward to the next trade.

samadriel

XO Manowar books are half-price right now on Comixology. Why, I don't know, they don't seem to have mentioned it in the sales section, but you'll get a lot of reading for your dollar/quid if you buy an omnibus or two.

Custard

Can anyone recommend any of the Comixology Originals?

They've got a sale on at the moment, punting out their own stuff for 99p a pop, so wouldn't mind giving some of them a go (if they're any good!)

kidsick5000

I'm surprised the Diamond situation hasn't had more publicity given how many small businesses will likely go under.
I haven't got a clear line on it, but in theory, could they have kept delivering for a couple more months?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the industry, whether everyone slumps back into the monopoly's arms or if there is a new way of working about to happen

mikeyg27

Humble Bundle currently have a bundle with all of Jonathan Hickman's Image work in it. Various payment tiers unlock increasing amounts of books but the top tier containing everything (including the entirety of the recently-ended East of West) is currently going for £12.50, which is an insane price. Under Comixology's current price exchange rate you could get two of the volumes here for that price.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: mikeyg27 on April 09, 2020, 09:01:02 AM
Humble Bundle currently have a bundle with all of Jonathan Hickman's Image work in it. Various payment tiers unlock increasing amounts of books but the top tier containing everything (including the entirety of the recently-ended East of West) is currently going for £12.50, which is an insane price. Under Comixology's current price exchange rate you could get two of the volumes here for that price.
That certainly is a huge bargain, and many thanks for the heads up. Tell me, how do you read them. Via...?

mikeyg27

There are PDFs, CBZs and ePubs to download. If you have a large enough computer screen you either ue your standard PDF reader or a CBZ viewer (I use Simple Comic on Mac, but this article indicates that there are better ones on other systems). If you prefer to use a tablet of some sort (and I would) there's usually plenty of readers in the various app stores (I use Perfect Viewer for Android).

Artie Fufkin

Thanks, Mikey!
I use my iPad for ComiXology stuff. iPad is perfect for that. I'll investigate further.

samadriel

Quote from: mikeyg27 on April 09, 2020, 09:01:02 AM

Bargain, thanks for the heads-up.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 03, 2020, 03:20:28 PM
Can anyone recommend any of the Comixology Originals?

They've got a sale on at the moment, punting out their own stuff for 99p a pop, so wouldn't mind giving some of them a go (if they're any good!)

I had a read of Afterlift, a Chip Zdarsky short story. It's alright for the price, but not very original (it's about an Uber driver paid to drive a girl to a highly Gaiman-esque afterlife); I know Sex Criminals doesn't have many fans here, but I'd recommend that over Afterlift when it comes to Zdarsky's output. Still, the latter's so damn cheap, why not have a go? *shrug*

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on April 09, 2020, 10:01:34 AM
Thanks, Mikey!
I use my iPad for ComiXology stuff. iPad is perfect for that. I'll investigate further.
iComic sounds good. Anyone here use that?

Custard

samadriel, thaaaaanks. Giving Afterlift a go!

Anyone read the Fante Bukowski books by Noah Van Sciver?

They focus on a hipster sort of bloke who wants to be famous for his writing, but is unfortunately a terrible writer. It has a similar sort of bleak and grotty humour to Megg and Mogg, if a lot more grounded. It's given me several hearty belly laffs

Last time I looked the three collections were on sale on Comixology, and I ended up banging through the lot in two nights

Highly recommended!

samadriel

I'm a sucker for a comics sale, will check it out; thanks SC.

magval

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on April 09, 2020, 04:12:58 PM
iComic sounds good. Anyone here use that?

Can I cheekily recommend something else? Get Chunky. It's not free but it's the best tablet comics reader I've ever used.

I think there might even BE a free version, but it's only a couple quid for the good upgrades.

Been using it since I sold my collection and bought an iPad pro in 2016, never a single complaint.

kidsick5000

While Comixology does throw up a bargain or two, the so-called sale of classic Flash Gordon and Mandrake compendiums is baffling.
$19.99 reduced from $39.99!! for a digital collection of old reprints by creators long gone.

samadriel

Oh, edit bug...

Hey, it looks like everything Valiant is half-price on Comixology at the moment. Catch my disease!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: magval on April 10, 2020, 03:15:15 PM
Can I cheekily recommend something else? Get Chunky. It's not free but it's the best tablet comics reader I've ever used.

I think there might even BE a free version, but it's only a couple quid for the good upgrades.

Been using it since I sold my collection and bought an iPad pro in 2016, never a single complaint.

Thanks, Magval! Will give it a look.

samadriel

Man, the first omnibus of Rai is really good; I love that Clayton Crain artwork, it's very slick and can be downright pretty too. I expected to get a bit bored by the far future setting and a New Japan conceptualized by a Western writer, but no, it's plenty entertaining, even if New Japan isn't remotely Japan-like. Time to get stuck into the 4001AD crossover... then the next volume of Rai... Then start preparing for Harbinger Wars 2... I love digging through all these comics, it really makes me relish social isolation.

I also re-read Preludes and Nocturnes, the first book of Sandman, and I've got book 2 lined up. I forgot how effective the horror episode with Dr Destiny is, but generally, I don't know if I'd say the writing really sparkles or anything. I wouldn't say it was cliche, but it wasn't very original, I kept thinking "yeah, I probably would've written that line the same way". A bit of a "needs more drafts" feeling, perhaps. My favourite Gaiman works are still Good Omens and Miracleman.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: samadriel on May 06, 2020, 02:44:47 PM
I also re-read Preludes and Nocturnes, the first book of Sandman, and I've got book 2 lined up. I forgot how effective the horror episode with Dr Destiny is, but generally, I don't know if I'd say the writing really sparkles or anything. I wouldn't say it was cliche, but it wasn't very original, I kept thinking "yeah, I probably would've written that line the same way". A bit of a "needs more drafts" feeling, perhaps. My favourite Gaiman works are still Good Omens and Miracleman.
I bought the whole lot of these in a recent ComiXology sale. I keep looking at it in my collection. Daunting.
I've also done the same with Alan Moore's Swamp-Thing.
And I'm contemplating getting the complete Hellblazer original run.

Artie Fufkin

QuoteEasy to use. Can upload to cloud and transfer to device. No way to transfer wired. Comics look great and can easily be sorted with careful file naming. But, every comic you transfer will consume double the storage space. So a 500MB file takes 1GB on your device. Even when deleted the duplicate storage will remain. Even when deleting app the duplicate storage will remain. This used storage space cannot be viewed. It cannot be deleted. No changing of device or app settings will stop this duplication from happening. Eventually you WILL have factory reset device to get it back. Depending on how many comics you import and how much storage you have you may end up having to this pretty regularly. It's a pity because if this wasn't the car it would be a 4 star app worthy of paying for pro. Buts it's not so be warned.....

What do you say to this review, Magval?

magval

Of course you can transfer them via a cable. I've never done anything but. All done through file sharing within iTunes. Never read a comic book from the cloud in my life.

Can't comment on the storage doubling issue, but that's probably tied to whatever had happened to that unfortunate reviewer. You can delete files just fine in iTunes.

The renaming is also a doddle.

Still happily recommended, I've been using it tons recently. So much handier and faster than Comixology.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: magval on May 07, 2020, 11:57:10 AM
Of course you can transfer them via a cable. I've never done anything but. All done through file sharing within iTunes. Never read a comic book from the cloud in my life.

Can't comment on the storage doubling issue, but that's probably tied to whatever had happened to that unfortunate reviewer. You can delete files just fine in iTunes.

The renaming is also a doddle.

Still happily recommended, I've been using it tons recently. So much handier and faster than Comixology.

Cheers, Magval! Will get that at the weekend.

magval

If it gives you any issues let me know, it's straightforward enough but it's easy for me to say that after 4 years using it.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: magval on May 07, 2020, 12:21:14 PM
If it gives you any issues let me know, it's straightforward enough but it's easy for me to say that after 4 years using it.
You're a true gent !

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on May 06, 2020, 04:03:55 PM
And I'm contemplating getting the complete Hellblazer original run.

I did that about ten years ago (well, I reread the first 100 or so issues that I'd already owned, then went through 150 I hadn't read before and caught up with Milligan's run on the series) and massively enjoyed it, yeah there's the odd weaker moments but even the writers I didn't initially click with are a hell of a lot better than those who have written the various post Hellblazer series.

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on May 06, 2020, 04:03:55 PM
I've also done the same with Alan Moore's Swamp-Thing.

Shamefully Swamp Thing is the one major Moore series I've never clicked with, I've only read the first four issues though and really need to give it another shot as I know many people who adore it.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 07, 2020, 12:36:50 PM
I did that about ten years ago (well, I reread the first 100 or so issues that I'd already owned, then went through 150 I hadn't read before and caught up with Milligan's run on the series) and massively enjoyed it, yeah there's the odd weaker moments but even the writers I didn't initially click with are a hell of a lot better than those who have written the various post Hellblazer series.
I read issues 1 & 2 a while back and loved both of them. The first issue was MEATY. Keep promising myself to dive back in. There's just too so much stuff out there!

Custard

Just a heads up that the rather excellent Planet Hulk is currently free on Comixology

Mister Six

Speaking of Hellblazer, which you were about, er, two weeks ago, I've gone through the first five issues of the colon-tastic The Sandman Presents: John Constantine: Hellblazer, and fuck me, it's really, properly good. The issue zero is a cluster fuck of continuity shit to justify Constantine being back in the Vertigo timeline or something (rather than just ignoring all the other nonsense and getting on with it) and I hated that they
Spoiler alert
basically killed off Chas and his family
[close]
, but after that it's great - basically John Constantine Vs the Gammons From Hell, with a proper old-school mix of humour, horror and topical political stuff.

The kombucha-drinking hipster mage who idolises John is a brilliant foil, and the sense of place and time is great. Feels like this could be a return to "proper" Hellblazer that kind of vanished for me with the end of Mike Carey's run.

Artie Fufkin

^I've made a mental note of that. Cheers.^
And now on my Wish List.

Artie Fufkin

I've been playing around with this the last couple of days. Thanks for the heads up. Loving it so far.

Artie Fufkin

Parasyte (sic), a manga novel, bought in a recent ComiXology sale. It's started off really well. A nice idea.
I really must read more Manga. I've only read a couple before this (Old Boy & The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service) which were both brilliant. Oh, and some Usagi Yojimbo, which I keep meaning to buy more of.
Any recommendations?