Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:06:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: samadriel on August 25, 2020, 03:06:14 PM
The Valiant archaeology continues! I read a heap of Faith, which was charming, a good bit of light superhero fun with a culmination similar to Quantum and Woody (all the scattered baddies from earlier in the series team up).

I'm glad you liked Faith, it's a series I'm really fond of, and like you say it's charming fun without ever being too grim dark or anything like that. I hope there will be more at some point as well, and know a Faith novel was recently released, but when I tweeted Jody Houser and asked if there was going to be another mini-series any time soon she didn't know unfortunately.

And I really need to get in to Quantum and Woody, as I've heard that it's a fun read, and that's what I'm in the mood for right now.

samadriel

Oh yeah mate, I certainly recommend Quantum and Woody, it's a good laugh.  I've still got Faith: Dreamside and Faith and the Future Force ahead of me; looking forward to seeing Neela again in the latter.
I actually ordered a copy of Taking Flight, even though it's just a YA novel, 'cos I'm a crazy completist. I hear Valiant has fallen off the rails in the past two years or so since DMG took over. On the other hand, Doctor Tomorrow's been getting great reviews this year; I'm hoping to remain an addict into the future.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: samadriel on August 25, 2020, 03:39:28 PM
Oh yeah mate, I certainly recommend Quantum and Woody, it's a good laugh.  I've still got Faith: Dreamside and Faith and the Future Force ahead of me; looking forward to seeing Neela again in the latter.
I actually ordered a copy of Taking Flight, even though it's just a YA novel, 'cos I'm a crazy completist. I hear Valiant has fallen off the rails in the past two years or so since DMG took over. On the other hand, Doctor Tomorrow's been getting great reviews this year; I'm hoping to remain an addict into the future.

I'll be interested to hear what you make of the YA novel, if it was by Jody Houser I'd definitely buy it as I'm really fond of her work on Faith and the current Doctor Who comic, but don't know Julie Murphy's writing so haven't got it yet.

I didn't know that about Valiant either, which is a shame as I'm fond of a few of their comics, but hopefully they'll survive the downturn (and the current miserable situation).

Pingers

Quote from: Mister Six on July 30, 2020, 05:10:53 AM
Will we ever find out what comics Pingers Jr got to read?

Yes, you will. He enjoyed Descender 1 & 2, as did I. We both enjoyed Monstress Book 1 also, me more than him probably. I thought the art was incredible and the story also very good. He still has Invincible Book 1 to go, and Watchmen, which I keep nagging him to read. Thanks for all the recommends, it's been great to share something with him, especially as I don't get on that well with Manga

Mister Six

Good stuff! I do still recommend those other comics though. Especially Bone.

samadriel

Humble Bundle have the complete The Boys plus something called Project Superpowers going for, I dunno, 15 quid? Not sure of the exchange rate. I've been wanting to read The Boys for awhile, so I have cashed in!

Custard

Comixology currently have every issue of Black Panther from over the years going for free, as a tribute to Chadwick Boseman

samadriel

I just harvested those, it's a fortune's worth of comics. I shall cover up Mike's mum in tribute.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: samadriel on September 06, 2020, 04:18:02 AM
Humble Bundle have the complete The Boys plus something called Project Superpowers going for, I dunno, 15 quid? Not sure of the exchange rate. I've been wanting to read The Boys for awhile, so I have cashed in!
The Boys is SO DAMNED GOOD!! You'll love it, I'm sure.
I've just got around to watching the tv series. I haven't wanted to watch it, in case they ruin it for me. So far, so good.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 07, 2020, 11:14:09 AM
The Boys is SO DAMNED GOOD!! You'll love it, I'm sure.
I've just got around to watching the tv series. I haven't wanted to watch it, in case they ruin it for me. So far, so good.

I really like it apart from I don't get on with their version of Hughie that much, and Karl Urban's accent is very silly, but otherwise it's been a lot of fun.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 07, 2020, 02:28:06 PM
I really like it apart from I don't get on with their version of Hughie that much, and Karl Urban's accent is very silly, but otherwise it's been a lot of fun.
Also, I can't believe it's been out for so long, and it was still a surprise to me that
Spoiler alert
Pegg is in it!
[close]
Did not know that! So that was cool.
I agree re Hughie, yes. Bit disappointing.

Mister Six

Quote from: samadriel on September 06, 2020, 04:18:02 AM

Please be aware that the first 12 issues of The Boys are total fucking dogshit. Absolute septic haemorrhoid-tier quarter-arsed Ennis edginess. Total bum.

However! He starts giving a fuck after that and it ends up being one of the best things he's done so far.

Also: check that this bundle you've got includes the original three miniseries ("Herogasm", "Highland Laddie", "Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker") and that you read them at the appropriate points in the main series as they are essential to the ongoing arcs (wiki has the reading order I think). Some bundles only contain the main comic and not the minis, stupidly.

There was also (or will be, dunno if it's out yet) a miniseries called "Dear Becky", that's the story of Butcher's wife. It comes as a result of the success of the TV series so I guess is best read once you've got the rest read.

samadriel

Quote from: Mister Six on September 07, 2020, 11:54:34 PM
Please be aware that the first 12 issues of The Boys are total fucking dogshit. Absolute septic haemorrhoid-tier quarter-arsed Ennis edginess. Total bum.

However! He starts giving a fuck after that and it ends up being one of the best things he's done so far.

I just read the first trade, and while it's not all bad, it did feel very familiar, having read The Pro and Preacher. Quite lazy. But it's alright enough that I'll believe you and Artie that it gets good.

QuoteAlso: check that this bundle you've got includes the original three miniseries ("Herogasm", "Highland Laddie", "Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker") and that you read them at the appropriate points in the main series as they are essential to the ongoing arcs (wiki has the reading order I think). Some bundles only contain the main comic and not the minis, stupidly.

There was also (or will be, dunno if it's out yet) a miniseries called "Dear Becky", that's the story of Butcher's wife. It comes as a result of the success of the TV series so I guess is best read once you've got the rest read.

The HB collection has trades/issues by all those names, given specific places (I think Herogasm is book 5, for example), so hopefully that's all correct and I can read it all easily.

magval

I don't want to hijack the conversation about The Boys but, seeing as Preacher has also just popped up, I feel I should do my occasional championing of Hitman, which is my favourite Ennis series and sure to appeal to anyone who likes anything about those other series.

K seeya!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: magval on September 08, 2020, 11:08:24 AM
I don't want to hijack the conversation about The Boys but, seeing as Preacher has also just popped up, I feel I should do my occasional championing of Hitman, which is my favourite Ennis series and sure to appeal to anyone who likes anything about those other series.

K seeya!

Oooh. Fanx.

Artie Fufkin

I've just bought Beasts Of Burden - Animal Rites for £3.99 on ComiXology, if you like your comics in a digital styleeeeeee......
I've heard good things about it on this thread. Are there loads of these? Is it an 'epic saga'?

Custard

Just finished reading the first two volumes of Injustice: Gods Among Us

Boy oh boy, it's dark. Even Zach Snyder would flinch

Basically it starts with Supes suffering a tragedy at the hands of Joker, and responds by, well, something equally dark, and then he and the Justice League decide to take over everything and threaten the world that crime and violence will now no longer be tolerated, with only really Bats pointing out they are being a bit cunty and Nazi about it

So far, so great. Nice to see Supes and Wonder Woman being dickish yet thinking they are right, and Bats throwing spanners in the works

Artie Fufkin

I've now just bought Sweet Tooth vol 1 for £4.79 on ComiXology, if you like your comics in a digital styleeeeeee.....

samadriel

Interesting. I like Lemire's Bloodshot Reborn, I'm curious as to whether Sweet Tooth's a goer.

chveik

Sweet Tooth is ace, and Lemire is my favourite comics writer right now

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chveik on September 09, 2020, 01:23:10 PM
Sweet Tooth is ace, and Lemire is my favourite comics writer right now

I'm a huge fan of his as well, and Descender (and it's follow on series) is amazing, I'm extremely fond of Sweet Tooth, his run on Animal Man is almost (but not quite) as good as Morrison's, and the only time I've struggled with him is Black Hammer, which I thought started off brilliantly, and the majority of it is really fun, but the delays between issues started to really frustrate and the ending of Age Of Doom was disappointing. I know he's written more since though, and really must catch up with it soon.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 09, 2020, 02:57:39 PM
and the only time I've struggled with him is Black Hammer, which I thought started off brilliantly, and the majority of it is really fun, but the delays between issues started to really frustrate
Yep. I loved the first 5 or 6 issues and then quickly got fed up with it. I've still got several unread issues......

Mister Six

Quote from: magval on September 08, 2020, 11:08:24 AM

K seeya!

Yep - best thing Ennis ever did, I think. His comedy stuff is always best when he has an editor saying "No, Garth" every now and again.

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 08, 2020, 12:44:45 PM
I've just bought Beasts Of Burden - Animal Rites for £3.99 on ComiXology, if you like your comics in a digital styleeeeeee......
I've heard good things about it on this thread. Are there loads of these? Is it an 'epic saga'?

I think that might be the second collection. I've only read the first. The first one is mostly self-contained shorts that link into a wider narrative. Not really "epic" in structure - or in tone, given that it's about a few animals in a suburban town. May be a big "bigger" in the second trade but I don't think it's going to be another Lord of the Rings (especially as it seems to be a bit stop-start with minis and specials rather than an ongoing series).

It's ace though.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Mister Six on September 09, 2020, 08:32:28 PM
I think that might be the second collection. I've only read the first. The first one is mostly self-contained shorts that link into a wider narrative. Not really "epic" in structure - or in tone, given that it's about a few animals in a suburban town. May be a big "bigger" in the second trade but I don't think it's going to be another Lord of the Rings (especially as it seems to be a bit stop-start with minis and specials rather than an ongoing series).

It's ace though.

Thanks, Mister Six!
Although looking at Wikipedia, Animal Rites seems to be the first of 3 volumes? And that's Wikipedia, so it MUST be true! Looking forward to reading it, once I get Doom Patrol done.

Mister Six

Ah in that case you're sorted then. I misremembered.

magval

My good friend is selling an absolute rake of graphic novels, mostly modern-ish DC (80s until present) and some Ultimate Marvel, as well as the first 8 Judge Dredd Case Files books.

Would anybody on here be interested and I can provide further detail and maybe we could work something out?

Small Man Big Horse

Exit, Stage Left!: The Snagglepuss Chronicles - I picked up the graphic novel for £3 recently but it isn't really doing it for me two issues in. The idea is that Snagglepuss is reimagined as an acclaimed playwright in fifties America, and being investigated as a potential communist in the infamous McCarthy witch hunts, but it's not as witty or as smart as it seems to think it is. There's the odd amusing moment and the idea's not a terrible one, but I just haven't found myself that enthralled by it and unless the third issue sees it become more intriguing I might not bother finishing it.

Mister Six

Yeah, I read The Flintstones by the same bloke, and thought it was pretty naff. That comic - and I suspect this one - feels like it was written for smug liberals to wank over more than anything else, which such burning hot takes as "homophobia is bad", "racism is bad" and "consumerism is bad". The odd good gag, but mostly just kind of mediocre and far too impressed with itself.

More than anything I didn't really get why they'd make Snagglepuss a 50s playwright. Is it saying much about America? Would it not be better to make him a queer dude in a backwoods Tennessee town or something? Feels derivative of a lot of superior, no-longer-terribly-relevant works by other authors (as did the Flintstones' "buying stuff on credit is bad" issue, which was done by The Munsters several decades earlier after the credit card became popular).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on September 18, 2020, 09:39:20 PM
Yeah, I read The Flintstones by the same bloke, and thought it was pretty naff. That comic - and I suspect this one - feels like it was written for smug liberals to wank over more than anything else, which such burning hot takes as "homophobia is bad", "racism is bad" and "consumerism is bad". The odd good gag, but mostly just kind of mediocre and far too impressed with itself.

More than anything I didn't really get why they'd make Snagglepuss a 50s playwright. Is it saying much about America? Would it not be better to make him a queer dude in a backwoods Tennessee town or something? Feels derivative of a lot of superior, no-longer-terribly-relevant works by other authors (as did the Flintstones' "buying stuff on credit is bad" issue, which was done by The Munsters several decades earlier after the credit card became popular).

I quite liked the first couple of issues of The Flintstones (and was impressed with it's pro gay marriage stance) but unfortunately it ran out of steam very quickly, and like you say, started to feel far too impressed with itself.

And I had the same questions about Snagglepuss too, it doesn't make any real sense to make him a playwright in the 50's, and the little glimpses of his supposedly amazing plays are awful, which I don't think was intentional at all given how much the series makes him out to be a witty genius.

Mister Six

What impressed you about its pro-gay marriage stance? Just that it had one, or the particular take on it?