Author Topic: The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition  (Read 12056 times)

Phil_A

• HE WAS AN ROBOT
    • Chasing The Bumblebee
Re: The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition
« Reply #240 on: September 05, 2018, 10:55:12 PM »
I've been meaning to ask this but always forget, so the recent Moore talk has given me a good reminder:

Is Alan Moore likely to be a millionaire? He's written at least one book (Watchmen) that as far as I know hasn't ever been out of print. Surely even before he severed his DC ties he made a fair bit of money off of that, V and the others.

I know he lives a supposedly very modest lifestyle, but aye, what do you think? Millionaire like?

I don't think he gets royalties for his DC work due to their dodgy contract practices, e.g. he was promised the Watchmen rights would revert to him and Gibbons once it went out of print, and it well never, ever go out of print for this reason.

I think he had a nice little earner going from film adaptations until the League Of Extraordinary Gentleman disaster (which led to him being dragged into a court case by another writer claiming the film had plagiarised their work), at which point he insisted on never receiving money or credit from any subsequent films.

Probably has enough squirreled away to live comfortably, I would say.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for website, please click below
« Reply #241 on: September 05, 2018, 11:58:07 PM »
I don't think he gets royalties for his DC work due to their dodgy contract practices, e.g. he was promised the Watchmen rights would revert to him and Gibbons once it went out of print, and it well never, ever go out of print for this reason.

I think he had a nice little earner going from film adaptations until the League Of Extraordinary Gentleman disaster (which led to him being dragged into a court case by another writer claiming the film had plagiarised their work), at which point he insisted on never receiving money or credit from any subsequent films.

Probably has enough squirreled away to live comfortably, I would say.

I heard he put a fair bit of money in to Dodgem Logic, and didn't make much back. Like you say I'm sure he's comfortable enough though given his output over the years. Plus I imagine Stewart Lee paid him loads for Content Provider!

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #242 on: September 06, 2018, 03:45:53 PM »
Just finished ‘My Friend Dahmer’, by Derf Backderf. Grimly fascinating. An account of Dahmer’s high school days as told by a classmate of his. How high school authorities/parents didn’t pick up on him is astounding.
Loved the artwork, and the storytelling was great.

Can anyone recommend anything similar to this kinda thang?
nb; I've also just read Green River Killer by Jeff Jensen

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #243 on: September 07, 2018, 03:08:44 AM »
I plan to start a thread for this when it's about to air, but I'm starting to get all a bit excited about the Doom Patrol tv series now. It's just been announced that Timothy Dalton will be playing Niles Caulder, whilst the rest of the cast includes Brendan Fraser as Robotman, April Bowlby as Elasti-Woman, Dwain Murphy as Negative Man, Diane Guerrero as Crazy Jane, whilst Alan Tudyk will play the series’ villain, Mr. Nobody. The fact that the latter is in it really makes me hope it'll be heavily influenced by Grant Morrison's run on the series, and that they've managed to get such a strong cast as the scripts are decent.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #244 on: September 08, 2018, 10:01:01 AM »
I plan to start a thread for this when it's about to air, but I'm starting to get all a bit excited about the Doom Patrol tv series now.
Diane Guerrero as Crazy Jane
I’ve just started to read vol 1 of Morrison’s run on this, thanks to your post. Loving it already. Nice and weird.
I’m sure this has already been said many a time, but, wow!; https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=split&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari
I adored this film, and Unbreakable, and I’m really looking forward to Mr Glass. But now I’m aware of Doom Patrol, specifically Crazy Jane, isn’t it, well, a bit of a rip off....?

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #245 on: September 08, 2018, 03:25:10 PM »
I’ve just started to read vol 1 of Morrison’s run on this, thanks to your post. Loving it already. Nice and weird.
I’m sure this has already been said many a time, but, wow!; https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=split&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari
I adored this film, and Unbreakable, and I’m really looking forward to Mr Glass. But now I’m aware of Doom Patrol, specifically Crazy Jane, isn’t it, well, a bit of a rip off....?

Possibly, but there have been other representations of dissociative identity disorder (like The United States Of Tara) so I don't know whether or not Doom Patrol was a direct influence. Wouldn't surprise me at all though.

« Reply #246 on: September 13, 2018, 12:53:13 PM »
Look at this.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-power-pack-of-ken-reid-books#/

I wish I could afford it.

Here's an update on this.

The Kickstarter has ended but the guy that started it and put the books together is selling them directly on Ebay with postage from Lithuania. I found this out purely by accident as my local Forbidden Planet also has a few copies of each book for £25 a pop, which is cheaper than the direct sales. They look and feel absolutely brilliant and I'd recommend picking them up before they're gone forever. Can't have too much of Ken Reid really.