Author Topic: The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition  (Read 27510 times)

Re: The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition
« Reply #450 on: May 16, 2019, 02:36:29 PM »
Genuinely or ironically?

In my opinion, very genuinely. Lots of distinctive art styles, when Beano/Dandy were more homogenous than ever.

Also, Bumpkin Billionaires should have been a real sitcom.

« Reply #451 on: May 16, 2019, 02:37:50 PM »
Tom Paterson doing gorgeous two-pagers for Captain Crucial/Watford Gapp, etc. Lew Stringer on Tom Thug/Vampire Brats. J. Edward Oliver on Cliff Hanger and Vid Kid. All joyous. Plus loads of Terry Bave, Sid Burgon new stuff and reprints. Love it mate.

kidsick5000

• Gotta be groovy for the moovy
« Reply #452 on: May 16, 2019, 02:42:35 PM »
Tom Paterson doing gorgeous two-pagers for Captain Crucial/Watford Gapp, etc. Lew Stringer on Tom Thug/Vampire Brats. J. Edward Oliver on Cliff Hanger and Vid Kid. All joyous. Plus loads of Terry Bave, Sid Burgon new stuff and reprints. Love it mate.

You have given me new purpose in life

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #453 on: Yesterday at 02:10:21 PM »
Joe the Barbarian feels like Grant Morrison pulling a Mark Millar - ie. knocking out a Hollywood pitch in comic form without caring overmuch about how good it is. I felt the same way about Happy! but at least here there's rather more charm and a few great ideas and lines, even if lacks Morrison's usual frenetic conceptual craziness and thematic depth.

Joe is a young diabetic whose soldier dad has died in Afghanistan and whose mother is struggling to keep a roof over their heads. While home alone one stormy night, Joe lets his blood sugar fall too low and begins to lapse into a hallucinatory coma in which his house turns into a fantastical land populated by living toys and sinister monsters. It's Labyrinth meets Toy Story meets Home Alone, basically.

As he struggles to make it to the fridge where his life-saving cans of soda are, Joe imagines himself (or is it real? Ahhh) going on a quest to save the land from eternal darkness. Sean Murphy's gorgeous, intricate art is the real selling point here, but there are still some decent jokes and ideas too. It's crying out for Jane Goldman to come and rework it into a rollicking family film, mind you.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #454 on: Today at 11:37:51 AM »
Joe the Barbarian feels like Grant Morrison pulling a Mark Millar - ie. knocking out a Hollywood pitch in comic form without caring overmuch about how good it is. I felt the same way about Happy! but at least here there's rather more charm and a few great ideas and lines, even if lacks Morrison's usual frenetic conceptual craziness and thematic depth.

Joe is a young diabetic whose soldier dad has died in Afghanistan and whose mother is struggling to keep a roof over their heads. While home alone one stormy night, Joe lets his blood sugar fall too low and begins to lapse into a hallucinatory coma in which his house turns into a fantastical land populated by living toys and sinister monsters. It's Labyrinth meets Toy Story meets Home Alone, basically.

As he struggles to make it to the fridge where his life-saving cans of soda are, Joe imagines himself (or is it real? Ahhh) going on a quest to save the land from eternal darkness. Sean Murphy's gorgeous, intricate art is the real selling point here, but there are still some decent jokes and ideas too. It's crying out for Jane Goldman to come and rework it into a rollicking family film, mind you.
Loved the artwork, but struggled with the story. Had some great ideas in it, however. So may give it another read. Agree that it would probably make a great film.

EDit - Does this sound like I'm just being a tit? Apologies if it does.