Author Topic: The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition  (Read 91207 times)

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • My RUBBISH
Re: The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition
« Reply #750 on: December 13, 2019, 04:18:56 PM »
Both Joelle Jones' Lady Killer books are 3 squid each, and I'd highly recommend them for a bit of pulpy, daft fun. Her art is gorgeous

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #751 on: December 13, 2019, 06:46:56 PM »
Is Animal Man decent then?

I don't usually like meta stuff like the character suddenly realising he's a character. That can get in ditch

Morrison's run on Animal Man is one of my favourite ever comics, there is a meta element right at the end but most of the time it's just a very unusual take on superhero life.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • My RUBBISH
« Reply #752 on: December 13, 2019, 07:07:26 PM »
Ah cool, will give it a go

magval

• Magnum Valentino
« Reply #753 on: December 13, 2019, 08:55:54 PM »
Morrison's run on Animal Man is one of my favourite ever comics, there is a meta element right at the end but most of the time it's just a very unusual take on superhero life.

One of my favourite endings in all fiction. Tears thinking about it sometimes.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #754 on: December 18, 2019, 01:08:44 PM »
Doomsday Clock 12 - So laughably bad I don't know where to begin. Or if it's worth it as I doubt anyone else reads this nonsense. But ultimately just before Doctor Manhattan is ready for Superman to be murdered while he stands around not doing a thing, good old Supes saves his life, and so Manhattan realises that he's lovely and sexy and everything and saves the day, and it ultimately has a "Love / heroism is all you need" kind of message. One of the worst miniseries I've ever read I truly hope Alan Moore never sees it as he'll either explode in anger or die laughing at how utterly shit it is.

Batman 85 - And so Tom King's run on the series comes to an end with Batman getting a happy ending. Aw. Shame it was such a dull read, and it's impossible to get excited by the idea of Bruce being all loved up now he's coupled up with Catwoman as everyone knows the next writer (or the one after that) will split them up. Tom King's written a good few great series, but this really wasn't one of them.

Fucking hell, I really need to give up reading mainstream DC and get back to decent indie comics again before I lose faith in the genre.

« Reply #755 on: December 18, 2019, 01:16:41 PM »
Shame to hear Tom King's run ends up turning to shit, I'm on the 5th or 6th trade and enjoying it so far.

I recently read the first two issues of The Batman's Grave by Warren Ellis and really liked them. A queasy and off-kilter murder story shot through with bleak humour. Also proper stripped back in terms of characters, and as a result it has one of the best interpretations of Alfred I've read in years.

samadriel

• WHA' HAPPEN?
« Reply #756 on: December 21, 2019, 05:43:05 PM »
Just finished the latest Immortal Hulk trade (up to issue 25). I realised, after reading about the series online, I've had a few handicaps reading this series - I didn't pick up that the Devil figure is actually named "The One Below All". I thought Ewing was just being coy all this time and never giving it a name, "one below all" being just another bit of fruity language. I probably would have picked up on it if I knew about the One Above All, but I don't know much about Marvel cosmology. So I wish I'd been able to put the name to the "face". My greater problem, and this is bad because it crops up at nearly every climactic moment of the series - I have no idea which Hulk I'm looking at whenever he shows up. Joe is nice and obvious because of his speech and manner, but according to the supplemental stuff I've read online, reviews and synopses and stuff, there's Savage Hulk (presumably the vanilla Hulk) ; there's... several intelligent or super-intelligent Hulks that I don't think have showed up, but I'm not sure; the comic has made several references to a "Devil Hulk", but as far as I can tell, Devil Hulk is a nice, articulate Hulk who doesn't have any ill will towards Banner -- is this nice articulate Hulk the Devil Hulk, or did I just get that confused? You can't blame me for feeling mixed up -- they could at least have made Devil Hulk orange or something, so I don't have to rely on the subtle speech differences between several inarticulate, violent monsters who all share the one body.

Because of this problem distinguishing between Hulks that are violent because they are possessed, and Hulks that are violent because Hulks are usually violent, I didn't really grasp that the Banner at the end of the universe was actually a vessel of The One Below All. And thus, I didn't interpret issue 25 as being a universe crushed by the OBA, I thought it was just Hulk being Hulk on a Galactus scale.

It's still a really great series, and I'll probably break my trade-waiting and buy individual issues just to keep up (quite a statement coming from me), but there are minor story-telling flaws I've occasionally had to barrel through.  Now that I type about it, I should've known about the OBA thing in issues 24 and 25, but I just didn't have that character in my head, after Devil Hulk had spent so long being un-devilish.

kidsick5000

• Gotta be groovy for the moovy
« Reply #757 on: December 28, 2019, 12:25:27 AM »
Doomsday Clock 12 - So laughably bad I don't know where to begin. Or if it's worth it as I doubt anyone else reads this nonsense.

That was a tough read.
It took two years to tell a story that feels likes DC gave up on being of any consequence a Long time back.
Should have been six issues at most

« Reply #758 on: December 28, 2019, 08:59:59 PM »
Doomsday Clock 12 - So laughably bad I don't know where to begin. Or if it's worth it as I doubt anyone else reads this nonsense. But ultimately just before Doctor Manhattan is ready for Superman to be murdered while he stands around not doing a thing, good old Supes saves his life, and so Manhattan realises that he's lovely and sexy and everything and saves the day, and it ultimately has a "Love / heroism is all you need" kind of message. One of the worst miniseries I've ever read I truly hope Alan Moore never sees it as he'll either explode in anger or die laughing at how utterly shit it is.

Batman 85 - And so Tom King's run on the series comes to an end with Batman getting a happy ending. Aw. Shame it was such a dull read, and it's impossible to get excited by the idea of Bruce being all loved up now he's coupled up with Catwoman as everyone knows the next writer (or the one after that) will split them up. Tom King's written a good few great series, but this really wasn't one of them.

The last part of "Last Knight on Earth" came out that week. THAT was the conclusion to a Batman run that I was more into. I enjoyed how from his New 52 stuff, Eternal, Metal and going into this, Scott Snyder just wanted to go more "out there" and it's always interesting to see how a writer sees the "last" Batman story (this is basically the finale to his run with Greg Capullo that started with the New 52).
Of course Power Rangers is still holding my attention. Enjoying that the main MMPR title acknowledges how much of a glory-hogging dick White Ranger Tommy kinda was, and it seems the current team are about to find out who the Omega rangers are.
Over in Go Go Power Rangers, we're getting the explanation for why Jason, Zack & Trini got picked to be the Omega team, and Tommy's journey to gaining the "White Light" to become a ranger again (Go Go is currently set after the green powers have been lost and Tommy leaves the team for a while).

I really want Boom! to do a comic about one of the other teams though. It's a big gripe of a lot of PR fans that there has been too much focus on MMPR nostalgia, aside from the appearances in Shattered Grid of future teams. An RPM title would be awesome.

« Reply #759 on: January 17, 2020, 06:59:57 AM »
I have been reading the excellent and epic Age of Bronze recently, by Eric Shanower.This covers the infamous Siege of Troy and Trojan War in a very a detailed story arc of  all the main characters involved in fantastic artwork.  It is also very humorous as well as intriguing and has had me hooked right up to the latest issue, there is a lot there and I think there is a good bit more to come out still.
This is from their website:
AGE OF BRONZE, the continuing graphic novel series by Eisner Award-winning cartoonist Eric Shanower, presents the complete story of the world-famous War at Troy, freshly retold for the 21st century. All the drama of the ancient and thrilling tradition unfolds before your eyes, with all the familiar people and events of the Trojan

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #760 on: January 20, 2020, 10:45:25 PM »
Hooray! Let us know what you think of the ending.
Blimey O’Reilly. Just finished it (The Boys). I’m gonna need a couple of days to process that. But right now, that was just bloody awesome. Perfect ending.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #761 on: January 20, 2020, 10:51:33 PM »
Now I have the last 11 issues of Gotham Central to read. Which I started about 5 years ago. Kinda wanna start all over again.....

Mister Six

• Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #762 on: January 22, 2020, 04:16:05 AM »
Blimey O%u2019Reilly. Just finished it (The Boys). I%u2019m gonna need a couple of days to process that. But right now, that was just bloody awesome. Perfect ending.

Hooray! Glad you liked it. I think it's probably the best ending Ennis has ever written.

I'd probably read GC from the start. It's one of those comics that hasn't got old, to me.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #763 on: January 22, 2020, 02:54:15 PM »
Hooray! Glad you liked it. I think it's probably the best ending Ennis has ever written.

So good! I even welled up a couple of times. Some very nice timey-wimey stuff at the end. Very clever.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #764 on: January 22, 2020, 02:56:55 PM »
I'd probably read GC from the start. It's one of those comics that hasn't got old, to me.
You're right, of course. However I'm ploughing on. Got about 5 issues to go now. I've really enjoyed it. Really nice angle to the whole DC Universe.

Mister Six

• Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #765 on: January 22, 2020, 10:38:40 PM »
I felt very cheated when the Gotham TV show turned out to not be an adaptation of Gotham Central at all.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #766 on: January 23, 2020, 12:39:14 PM »
I felt very cheated when the Gotham TV show turned out to not be an adaptation of Gotham Central at all.
Is it good, though? Never watched it.

madhair60

• "get that money"
  • Golden Member
  • Thank you very much for reading my post
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #767 on: January 23, 2020, 01:39:50 PM »
Yeah it's very good trash.

Mister Six

• Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #768 on: January 23, 2020, 02:26:26 PM »
The first few episodes were shit so I dropped out but I've heard it does indeed become great trash TV as it goes along.

madhair60

• "get that money"
  • Golden Member
  • Thank you very much for reading my post
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #769 on: January 24, 2020, 11:27:54 PM »
And right on time... new miniseries!

Mister Six

• Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #770 on: January 25, 2020, 01:50:29 AM »
Whaaaaaa....!

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #771 on: January 27, 2020, 11:10:50 AM »
Just when I thought I'd finished it!!

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #772 on: January 27, 2020, 11:12:22 AM »
Slightly, not disappointed exactly, but something like that, with the end of Gotham Central. I mostly enjoyed it very much. But the ending? Meh.

Urinal Cake

• -0/-0
« Reply #773 on: January 27, 2020, 11:44:44 AM »
I started reading Jojo's Bizarre Adventure because of the memes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8POA9lIcHjE. It is pretty hilarious and inventive.

Mister Six

• Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #774 on: January 27, 2020, 01:47:41 PM »
Slightly, not disappointed exactly, but something like that, with the end of Gotham Central. I mostly enjoyed it very much. But the ending? Meh.

I felt the same. The result of hastily wrapping up a series that had no planned ending because two thirds of the creative team had fucked off to Marvel with exclusive contracts, IIRC. Renee goes on to become The Question in 52 (which is scrappy but fun) and Crispus becomes the new Spectre in his own miniseries (which is dogshit).

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #775 on: January 27, 2020, 02:43:07 PM »
I felt the same. The result of hastily wrapping up a series that had no planned ending because two thirds of the creative team had fucked off to Marvel with exclusive contracts, IIRC. Renee goes on to become The Question in 52 (which is scrappy but fun) and Crispus becomes the new Spectre in his own miniseries (which is dogshit).
Ah. Righto. Thanks for that info.
I'm now about to make a start on Warren Ellis' Global Frequency.

Mister Six

• Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #776 on: January 27, 2020, 07:52:22 PM »
I found that a bit hit and miss, but the hits were great. Download the US pilot episode too. I wish Netflix or someone would take a crack at reviving that.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #777 on: January 27, 2020, 08:56:14 PM »
I share Ennis' disdain for superheroes so The Boys is as close to a perfect comic book series that I'm ever going to get, its great. More Boys? Yes please. Although it does look like this new series is going to be some kitchen sink thing like the Heartland oneshot he did for Hellblazer. Which would be a bit disappointing.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #778 on: January 27, 2020, 09:36:01 PM »
I found that a bit hit and miss, but the hits were great. Download the US pilot episode too. I wish Netflix or someone would take a crack at reviving that.
Global Frequency pilot? I’ll certainly be checking THAT out.

Mister Six

• Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #779 on: January 27, 2020, 10:10:24 PM »
Quite a lot better than the issue that inspired it, I think. Ellis was hamstrung by his own one-issue-per-story conceit.

Tags: