Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:46:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mindhunter

Started by Viero_Berlotti, October 14, 2017, 03:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

New David Fincher produced crime series on Netflix. Not sure what I thought after the first episode. It tried to be a bit different from your typical police procedural, but I found it a bit dry, academic and simply boring for the most part. There are glimpses in there that it could develop into something interesting. I'm not sure I'm arsed enough after episode 1 to sink a further 9 hours into this though.

Steven

Actually in the middle of the 2nd episode and he's visiting Ed Kemper in prison, it's played with a bit of humour despite the obvious subject matter, I like it. He's naive and exploring the whole psychological miasma of killers.. dubbing them 'sequential killers' and Kemper is desperate for an audience and very jovial, friendly to a point and humouring him despite his obvious trepidation. Will keep with it and see.

surreal

This is right up my street, really enjoying the slow burn of it all

Viero_Berlotti

Yeah, I do think this deserves they extra bit of time for it to start to sink in. Purely because it reminded me what a great film 'Dog Day Afternoon' is in the first episode.

Lord Mandrake

Fincher bringing that unsettling Zodiac feel to this which is fine by me, two episodes in and hooked.

Small Man Big Horse

Only one episode in so far but I'm enjoying it. The title is fucking horrendous though, surprised Fincher went with something so shite.

surreal

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 14, 2017, 11:44:10 AM
Only one episode in so far but I'm enjoying it. The title is fucking horrendous though, surprised Fincher went with something so shite.

Name of the book it's based on if I recall

Dr Syntax Head

Fincher? Interest piqued

surreal

Dr Syntax Head

Getting involved right this second!

Fucking hell I love FBI stuff

Steven

The bloke who plays Kemper is great, reeling off cosy anecdotes about kidnapping college girls and cutting off their heads, killing his mother, they're all laughing and gabbing around the table and sharing prison pizza. Fucking hell.

Jim_MacLaine

First episode down.

I'm in.

Steven

Ha ha, this is great, by episode 8 they're investigating a 'suspected foot tickler'.

Lord Mandrake

I think what really elevates this besides the disquieting atmosphere are the performances, the whole cast are terrific and I buy every one of the performances but so far Holt McCallany as agent Tench is the standout, incredible chops. The level of detail is uncanny and that really draws you in to the minutiae of the cases whilst even in seemingly mundane scenes that omnipresent sense of doom and foreboding persists like the mists that cling to so many scenes. It is also very funny and in fleeting moments quite charming and light. Only 3 left for me.   

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 14, 2017, 11:44:10 AM
The title is fucking horrendous though, surprised Fincher went with something so shite.

surreal

Finished it yesterday - loved it.  Really hope there is a planned continuation as I want to see who the obviously "potential" killer they keep showing clips of is going to be.

Thought the last visit of Holden to see Kemper was fucking terrifying.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: surreal on October 16, 2017, 01:28:48 PM
Finished it yesterday - loved it.  Really hope there is a planned continuation as I want to see who the obviously "potential" killer they keep showing clips of is going to be.
It's this cheeky monkey. Obviously don't click that if you don't want to know who it is.

Steven

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 16, 2017, 02:50:29 PM
It's this cheeky monkey. Obviously don't click that if you don't want to know who it is.

Yes, from the first scene where he's installing security monitors in a woman's home I knew it was going to be him. I've listened to tapes of him going over his murders in such a matter of fact way, like reading the phone book, it's all a bit chilling but they're obviously demonstrating him building his comfortability intruding on people's homes until he builds enough confidence to start with the really sick shit he ended up doing.

Jerzy Bondov

I think he was already at it at this point, no?

Steven

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 16, 2017, 06:52:06 PM
I think he was already at it at this point, no?

I don't know the chronology of the series, but it was certainly setting up that he's on the edge of starting his killings, hence the initial scene where he gets palpably annoyed with the woman in her kitchen while installing security alarms, but doesn't act. I'm sure they'll be covering his actual murders and the investigation into them in the next series, but as we know he doesn't get discovered until almost three decades after his intial spree.

Some articles seem to agree he's being presented as someone about to become a serial killer.

Lord Mandrake

I don't know if I want a 2nd season of this it was that good, the final episode is quite brilliant.

Steven

Well, right up until the last episde the guy playing Kemper did a great job. Chilling.

I watched a few interviews with the actual Kemper and can see why it came across so realistic, a lot of the dialogue is wholesale cribbed from his various interviews.

surreal

That camera work as Holden ran out of the room before collapsing on the floor was just visceral, classic Fincher

Maybe I'm just a filthy herbert, but what was the big deal with Ford saying "cunts"? Would it have been quickly dismissed if he hadn't lied about redacting the transcript, or was it considered utterly unconscionable behaviour for a G-man at that time? I get that he was becoming reckless, but it's not like he did anything illegal to get Speck talking.

Good stuff anyway. I feel like rewatching Zodiac now.

I spent quite a while trying to remember where I'd seen Jonathan Groff and Hannah Gross, until I realised that they were clones of Cary Elwes and Jennifer Jason Leigh. The shoe wanker was a clone of John Goodman.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: surreal on October 19, 2017, 11:28:21 AM
That camera work as Holden ran out of the room before collapsing on the floor was just visceral, classic Fincher

This video does a decent job of deconstructing some of Fincher's camera techniques and why they lock the viewer into his rhythm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfqD5WqChUY

Bazooka

On episode 7 right now, very good. Could have been just another criminal minds type show with a monster of the week set up with a different killer each episode, but it's better than that. Not a single bad performance.

itsfredtitmus

Is it better than Cracker?

Bazooka

Just finished it, very good.