Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:11:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mindhunter

Started by Viero_Berlotti, October 14, 2017, 03:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Re. that scene where they refer to the crybaby killer's wife as a 'solid 8'.  I'm pretty sure that wasn't something people did in the late '70s.  Ergo this program is irredeemable garbage and should be avoided at all costs, even though aside from that it's really good.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 22, 2017, 07:53:38 PM
Re. that scene where they refer to the crybaby killer's wife as a 'solid 8'.  I'm pretty sure that wasn't something people did in the late '70s.

Rate things out of ten? No way a 70s person could come up with that.

Sin Agog

Come on, assigning women 1-10 hotness ratings just wasn't something people did in casual conversation back then, and the sheriff immediately picked up the cue like he just saw an episode of  the Mary Tyler Moore show the previous day where Ed Asner called Mary a soft seven.  It's very 2010 onwards.  I get that this is anal bollocks, but period pieces can come crumbling down from stuff like that.

Sin Agog

You can prove anything with facts.

phantom_power

I am not reading this thread until I have seen the whole series as I am spoiler-phobic but is anyone else put off by the actor playing Ed Kemper loolking almost exactly like Peter Kay, playing some sort of character

Bazooka

Quote from: phantom_power on October 23, 2017, 09:49:16 AM
I am not reading this thread until I have seen the whole series as I am Spoiler-phobic but is anyone else put off by the actor playing Ed Kemper loolking almost exactly like Peter Kay, playing some sort of character

Peter Kay??? No he looks like Eric Warehiem and David Morrisey's love child.

Ja'moke

Absolutely loved this. Brilliant cast top to bottom. Menancing and creepy like Fincher's best work, but with a great dry sense of humour throughout.

Happy to hear they're planning a second season. I need more now!

biggytitbo

I'm going to try this out and woe betide you if it turns out to be shite.

Ja'moke

I watched a bit of the real Ed Kemper interviews last night, and yeah, Cameron Britton really nails the performance, his accent, inflections, and tone. Chilling stuff.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 25, 2017, 08:22:32 PM
I watched a bit of the real Ed Kemper interviews last night

Great episode of Parkinson that, Kemper, Ustinov and Bernard Manning.

Ja'moke

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 25, 2017, 08:35:57 PM

Great episode of Parkinson that, Kemper, Ustinov and Bernard Manning.

Plus musical performance from Katie Melua.

phes

Really enjoyed this. First drama in about a half dozen that hasn't got turned off on account of stretching fuck all material over 8 hours. 8/10 and pissed all over recent shite like Ozark, Westworld, Stranger Things, Godless etc

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on October 21, 2017, 06:02:24 PM
Is it better than Cracker?

Yes, I think it's better than Frank Carson's catchphrase that wasn't "it's the way you tell 'em".

imitationleather

Enjoyed this series a lot.

**SPOILER**

Since in real life matey in the pre-credits sequences doesn't actually get caught until 2005 I am guessing he's never going to figure in the show as more than a creepy scene setter?

Shame they didn't have Richard Speck with them lovely tits he grew while in prison. Phwoar.

Steven

Quote from: imitationleather on November 27, 2017, 11:04:20 PM
Since in real life matey in the pre-credits sequences doesn't actually get caught until 2005 I am guessing he's never going to figure in the show as more than a creepy scene setter?

I think they'll feature his crimes in the 2nd series but obviously the cat-and-mouse game they play via profiling at this early stage wouldn't be good enough to catch him since like the Zodiac he targetted somewhat random victims and enjoyed sending out a lot of taunting letters. I'm sure this will inform their research into other killers in the 2nd series but as we know his hand isn't tipped until a few decades after his initial killing spree, most likely they may show that resolve in a later series.

Ja'moke

I read that Season 2 will be mainly set in Atlanta covering Wayne Williams and the Atlanta child murders.

http://www.refinery29.uk/2017/10/177700/mindhunter-season-2-atlanta-child-murders

Norton Canes

Saw thread title, thought 'Mindhorn' AGAIN

surreal

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 28, 2017, 01:49:04 PM
I read that Season 2 will be mainly set in Atlanta covering Wayne Williams and the Atlanta child murders.

http://www.refinery29.uk/2017/10/177700/mindhunter-season-2-atlanta-child-murders

Kind of makes sense I guess - BTK wasn't caught until the nineties was he?  I suppose they may have him in the background for a couple of seasons depending on the timeframe, would make sense to show someone they took a long time to catch

Steven

Quote from: surreal on November 28, 2017, 02:01:56 PM
Kind of makes sense I guess - BTK wasn't caught until the nineties was he?  I suppose they may have him in the background for a couple of seasons depending on the timeframe, would make sense to show someone they took a long time to catch

Yes, it wouldn't make sense for them to cover the BTK stuff extensively because it would go nowhere, more likely feature his spree as background stuff over the course of the series, as they did with him gearing up from security system installation man with a hair-trigger temper into someone with an obvious pent up penchant for murderous fantasy as the first series went on.

imitationleather

Has anyone watched any of the real Ed Kemper interviews? Mindhunter is not lying when it says he's initially quite an interesting and articulate guy but my God he just will not fucking shut up. Anecdotes that go on and on and on and on and on. I wondered if it was sitting in a cell for decades that had done that to him, but I think he had a bit of a rep for it prior to his arrest.

alan nagsworth

I really like how the character called Holden Down The Fort always looks wide-eyed and surprised at every revelation. That's really good acting that is. Look interested. No, more interested. Look like everything you discover is the most interesting thing you've ever been told. Great.

Steven

Quote from: imitationleather on November 28, 2017, 04:53:03 PM
Has anyone watched any of the real Ed Kemper interviews? Mindhunter is not lying when it says he's initially quite an interesting and articulate guy but my God he just will not fucking shut up. Anecdotes that go on and on and on and on and on. I wondered if it was sitting in a cell for decades that had done that to him, but I think he had a bit of a rep for it prior to his arrest.

He was rejected from joining the police but would hang around cop bars and spitball with them, keeping abreast of the information on forensics and details they had about his own murders, he'd have to be superemely confident to be so flagrant and fairly braggadocious with it I imagine.

Ja'moke

It's officially been renewed now.

Quote"Hopefully we'll have five seasons," McCallany remarked to Esquire. "The five-season bible I read was approximately a 60 to 70 page document that just laid out the broad strokes: a much more detailed rundown of season one, and then an overview of what potential subsequent seasons would look like."

biggytitbo

Watching the first episode of this now, bit too racy for me but I'll stick with it.

Bazooka

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 28, 2017, 06:48:31 PM
Watching the first episode of this now, bit too racy for me but I'll stick with it.

Please do, top 3 Netflix original productions, and general TV of 2017.

biggytitbo

Yes up to part 4, it is excellent and surprisingly light considering the subject matter. The girlfriend in it appears to exist purely to be fucked then say something that triggers yer fellow to his next revelation though, which is a bit shit. They should have cut her character from the script altogether. Will probably finish it tomorrow, I like how they're ominously seeding Rader with little cameos in the early episodes too, I presume he takes centre stage later.

surreal

Quote from: imitationleather on November 28, 2017, 04:53:03 PM

There's a couple of videos on Youtube showing his interviews side by side with the actor playing him and how well he got his speech patterns and mannerisms

biggytitbo

Watched the whole thing now, it does keep up the quality, especially in the performances. Got to agree about Rader though, why are they seeding him in a show set in the late 70s? Can't see how they're going to be able to make much use of him, even in future series.

I recently watched a documentary from as late as 2003 where they're still speculating who btk was and whether he'd ever be caught. It's not like Gary ridgeway where he'd been arrested a dozen times during the 80s and lots of cops wee certain it was him before he was eventually caught. Nobody had the slightest idea it was Rader until he made that schoolboy error with the computer disk in 2005.