Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Free books!

Started by holyzombiejesus, October 14, 2017, 12:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Kind of. Does anyone fancy working on a system whereby we can give unwanted books to each other? I've got a few here and whilst it may be better to lug them all to the charity shop, I thought it might be nicer to offer them up on C&B. I was thinking there'd need to be loose rules or guidelines though, especially if this became something that others started doing too. I dunno, one book per person, sender pays for postage but only in the same country? Or is it a shit idea?

Serge

Mark Steels Stockbroker used to give away books at meets, and I nicked this idea from him at one of the London meets. I have about half a dozen I'd happily give away (including that copy of 'Autumn'), but probably wouldn't be arsed with the postage, to be honest. But could possibly bring them to the next meet?

nedthemumbler

You could pick up almost any book from a charity shop for not too far off the price\hassle of postage, but like the idea nonetheless.  Could include personal recommendations, synopsis, mini reviews,all things with a value beyond the monetary.

Janie Jones

The OP says 'unwanted' books so I don't quite get the concept. I've got boxes and boxes of unwanted books, cleared from dead relatives houses, my kids' rooms since they left home, also auction purchases where I've bought a mixed lot to cherry-pick something good and am left with a load of dross. I couldn't be more pleased if I could offload all these rubbish books. The Oxfam bookshop staff have started hiding under the counter when they see me hove into view carrying another box of shite.

So would I write up here a list of titles and post them out to anyone who wants them? Or as Ned suggests above, are we thinking more of stuff we've actually read and enjoyed and want someone else to enjoy?

Serge

I think the original aim is to get rid of unwanted books. Obviously, the titles I would like to get rid of are those I didn't enjoy or just abandoned - 'Autumn', 'A Man Called Ove', 'The Crow Girl', 'Daniel Defoe's Railway Journey'.....probably a couple of others. In the first instance, I hated it with a passion, and in the last three, didn't get far enough into them to say anything positive about them. But just because I hated them doesn't mean that other people will....

holyzombiejesus

I started the thread because I'd just finished The Devil All The Time by Donald Ray Pollock. I enjoyed it but won't ever re-read and would probably just drop it (and dozens of similar books that I've enjoyed but don't want to keep) off at the charity shop or station library. There was another book that I mentioned on here recently (The Summer That Melted Everything) because I wanted to throw it away after reading the first paragraph and someone said they'd quite like it so I posted it to him. Thought it might be worth setting something up in a thread but maybe not.

Serge

I did get a free copy of Matt Lucas' new book today, which may not exactly have everybody jumping up and down in jollification, but I'm looking forward to reading it. You never know when you request a proof whether you'll get an obvious proof that is most likely a paperback with errors in it and notes saying 'Not To Be Resold' on it, or an actual copy of the book, and in this case it was the latter, so I can take that off my Christmas list!