Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:04:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Long-awaited books

Started by Serge, October 15, 2017, 10:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

...or at least books that seem to be well overdue (and I'm not just talking about Danny Baker's inability to get his autobiographies out on time.)

I've mentioned many times on here before that one of my favourite books is Glen David Gold's 'Carter Beats The Devil' (and if you haven't read it yet, go out and buy it right now!), but I then had to wait eight years for the follow-up, 'Sunnyside', as Mr. Gold is obviously a man who likes to take his time over writing. It occurred to me that it's now been eight years since 'Sunnyside' (which is also a great book, though not quite as good as 'Carter'), and surely it's about time for novel number 3? Having a quick google, I can see that he does have a new book scheduled for next year, called 'I Will Be Complete', though it's billed as a memoir. I'm sure it'll be a good read, but does this mean that I might have to wait another eight years for novel number three?

One of the best collections of journalism I've ever read - I'd go so far as to say that only Hunter S Thompson and Lester Bangs rate above it - is John Jeremiah Sullivan's 'Pulp Head', which came out in 2011. I assume he's still been writing articles since then (and a quick look at his wikipedia page would seem to indicate that there are enough to make at least one more book), so it's about time that he got another book out.

shh

Philip Pullman's been promising a follow-up to His Dark Materials for some time now. I think it's finally coming out this month, about 17 years after the last novel was published.

Serge

Oh, it is indeed. I have to get up at half past six to go and stand in a shop from 8 o'clock onwards which - on the basis of the same thing happening last year with the Fantastic Beasts screenplay - won't see a customer pass through the door until 9 o'clock, when we usually open. While it's obviously going to be a bestseller, I think they've over-estimated the likelihood of massed crowds wanting to beat down the door to get a copy outside of London and possibly Manchester.

Gulftastic

I wish Jasper Fforde would write another Thursday Next or Nursery Crime Division book. I think he's got a 'Shades Of Grey' prequel about to come out, so that's something.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Not quite as long as some of the others, but when is the last bloody Wolf Hall book coming out? It feels like it's been almost-out for about three years now.

non capisco

Quote from: Serge on October 15, 2017, 10:27:44 AM
One of the best collections of journalism I've ever read - I'd go so far as to say that only Hunter S Thompson and Lester Bangs rate above it - is John Jeremiah Sullivan's 'Pulp Head', which came out in 2011. I assume he's still been writing articles since then (and a quick look at his wikipedia page would seem to indicate that there are enough to make at least one more book), so it's about time that he got another book out.

Love Pulp Head! I won't quote that amazing set of sentences about Axl Rose again as it'd probably be about the sixth time I'd have done so on CaB. The guy can write.

tookish

Quote from: shh on October 15, 2017, 02:38:15 PM
Philip Pullman's been promising a follow-up to His Dark Materials for some time now. I think it's finally coming out this month, about 17 years after the last novel was published.

The Book of Dust! God, I can't wait. I've got it on pre-order, and the little of it that's been released was enough to get me foaming at the mouth. Anticipation of this book has been my reason to live this year.

Serge

Quote from: non capisco on October 17, 2017, 06:10:27 PM
Love Pulp Head! I won't quote that amazing set of sentences about Axl Rose again as it'd probably be about the sixth time I'd have done so on CaB. The guy can write.

Heh, I think I've quoted them at least twice on here. They are perfect:

QuoteTo me he looks like he's wearing an Axl Rose mask. He looks like a man I saw eating by himself at a truck stop in Monteagle, Tennessee, at two o'clock in the morning about twelve years ago. He looks increasingly like the albino reggae legend Yellowman.

I wonder if Sullivan has seen the recent FB posts comparing Axl's current look to that of Benny Hill.....?

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Serge on October 15, 2017, 10:27:44 AM

Quote from: non capisco on October 17, 2017, 06:10:27 PM

I ordered Pulp Head on the back of this great bit of cheerleading you two have been carrying on with here and it arrived in the post today. I've only read the Axl Rose number so far, but I thought it was just fantastic. Can't wait to get stuck into the rest of it.

Black Ship

I'd have to add "The Winds of Winter" to the list. And the next in Clive Barker's "Abarat" series, Kry Rising.

Serge

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on October 24, 2017, 12:18:05 AM
I ordered Pulp Head on the back of this great bit of cheerleading you two have been carrying on with here and it arrived in the post today. I've only read the Axl Rose number so far, but I thought it was just fantastic. Can't wait to get stuck into the rest of it.

Ah, glad you like it! The opening piece on a Christian Rock Festival is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

I bought George Saunders' book of essays, 'The Brain-Dead Megaphone' today, hoping that should be along the same lines.