Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Great American Novel

Started by Serge, October 15, 2017, 01:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: studpuppet on November 02, 2017, 09:49:41 PM
I liked Don DeLillo's Underworld; I think it's probably the only novel I've read in this category.

Is this good? When I finished reading The Corrections, the only book in this category I've read (and a bloody great read it was, too!), I was tempted to go for Underworld...

poodlefaker

I think Underworld is trying too hard to be the GAN, maybe. I'd go for Updike's Rabbit series, and dos Passos' USA, which is amazing but dauntingly thick: read Manhattan Transfer first, and if you like that, try USA.

Great British Novel = Bleak House, Little Dorritt, Middlemarch, etc etc

Serge

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on November 03, 2017, 09:00:48 AM
Or, more specifically, our very own Willie Thorne-obsessed biggy has control of your mind ;-)

Well, you know there is some compelling evidence about JFK's assassination that......what am I saying? MY WIFE'S GONNA KILL ME!

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on November 03, 2017, 09:01:57 AM
Is this good? When I finished reading The Corrections, the only book in this category I've read (and a bloody great read it was, too!), I was tempted to go for Underworld...

If you liked The Corrections, I can recommend Nathan Hill's The Nix, as I'm pretty sure you'd like that as well.

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 03, 2017, 11:34:55 AMI think Underworld is trying too hard to be the GAN, maybe. I'd go for Updike's Rabbit series, and dos Passos' USA, which is amazing but dauntingly thick: read Manhattan Transfer first, and if you like that, try USA.

Underworld is another one I struggled with. And I somehow made it through the first two Rabbit books before deciding that Updike wasn't for me. 

On the upside, I started Look At Me in my lunchbreak, and am zipping through it.

Gamma Ray

For me the chronology of the Great American Novel is The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn, East of Eden and then Sometimes a Great Notion, though admittedly the last two are pretty close together in terms of publication. As far as I'm concerned Hunter Thompson was next in line (yes, he wasn't primarily a novelist but I agree with him that it's an artificial distinction). I'm not sure who followed him so I guess that I need to pay closer attention to this thread. I do see mention of Donna Tartt upthread and as great a read as The Goldfinch is, personally I don't think that she has the wider resonance of Twain or Kesey. Maybe someone like Cormac McCarthy these days, though there's not a lot of hope in his writing.

mr. logic

The Bascombe trilogy is probably a good contender for this, but Ford writes so well that it would be a shame to limit the scope of his books like that.

Loved Underworld. Read it while coasting shisha bars in Kuwait last year. Tempted to start a 'Most inappropriate setting you read a book in and did it matter?' thread