Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Any decent horror recommendations?

Started by holyzombiejesus, October 17, 2017, 11:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on December 24, 2017, 08:56:00 PM
...and later still a take on A View From A Hill.

Not that scary but definitely my fave Roger Moore film.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on December 20, 2017, 01:20:02 PM
My vague teenage recollections of the Pan Books is that they were mainly nasty.

Some classics amongst the dross. I actually like all horror stories that are not boring or schlock, so enjoy nasty and cerebral in equal measure

garbed_attic

Since Aickman was mentioned, I'll just chime in to say how much I enjoyed Reece Sheersmith's very dry reading of his Cold Hand in Mine collection. There's a squalid wrongness to his writing (especially in the form of objects that seem faintly out-of-sorts and dumbly malevolent) that works far more insinuatingly than the League's stuff, but can definitely be felt in Dyson's Funland, who is also a fan.

The Knives and The Hospice are both uniquely disquieting stories.

---

Also last year I read a paired couple of horror stories that were pretty effective. One was about a silent man who comes to people when they are unconscious and gives intimations of the tortures they are going to endure once they are then. The other, which was far more ungainly but which I preferred, was set on the fringe of a little caravan park on a beach and seemed to involve a couple of demon hunters. They were both a little teenagery (I think the author is still pretty young) but they had a certain something to them which lingered. I can't remember what they were called though. I feel like the first story might have been "The ***** Man".

grassbath

Quote from: purlieu on December 18, 2017, 09:18:50 PM
Michelle Paver's Dark Matter is a wonderfully claustrophobic ghost story set on an expedition to well within the arctic circle.

I finished this today. It was for the most part great and very spooky in parts (the inclusion of photographs added an extra layer of dread that reminded me of WG Sebald), but it pootered right out at the end - climax and denouement somewhat rushed and unsatisfying.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: grassbath on December 25, 2017, 11:54:19 PM
I finished this today. It was for the most part great and very spooky in parts (the inclusion of photographs added an extra layer of dread that reminded me of WG Sebald), but it pootered right out at the end - climax and denouement somewhat rushed and unsatisfying.

Name me a (horror) book that doesn't anti-climax

garbed_attic

Quote from: gout_pony on December 25, 2017, 10:06:28 PM
Also last year I read a paired couple of horror stories that were pretty effective. One was about a silent man who comes to people when they are unconscious and gives intimations of the tortures they are going to endure once they are then. The other, which was far more ungainly but which I preferred, was set on the fringe of a little caravan park on a beach and seemed to involve a couple of demon hunters. They were both a little teenagery (I think the author is still pretty young) but they had a certain something to them which lingered. I can't remember what they were called though. I feel like the first story might have been "The ***** Man".

After a couple of hours of Googling I found myself the answer! It was He Waits by Luke Smitherd. It's funny - the content of both stories weren't really much more than what you'd expect from a Creepypasta and his writing is pretty cursory, and yet... they both made me really uneasy. I reckon in ten years time he might well produce a stunning horror novel. His technique needs developing yet he seems to really get what makes a piece of writing get under your skin.

Artie Fufkin

I'm about a 3rd of the way through Adrian Barnes' The Nod. So far, so good. A sense of unease throughout. A nice take on an apocalypse book, I guess.

purlieu

Quote from: grassbath on December 25, 2017, 11:54:19 PM
Although I do agree to an extent, I thought it was at least a serviceable ending and better than a fair bit of horror I've read. It certainly did nothing to get rid of the dread that it built up before, which is often as much as I can ask for.