Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:22:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Beautiful book covers

Started by lgpmachine, October 17, 2017, 10:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lgpmachine

In response to the Terrible Book Covers topic, how about a place for some good ones?  Here's a lovely version of Stanislaw Lem's Solaris that I received for Christmas last year.  Lem's had some pretty bad covers over the years so it's nice to see a decent one for once.

Brundle-Fly

Spotted these delightful jackets together in the window of a Charing Cross Road bookshop recently. Pure Claypipe Music!

This gem also was on the shelf.

Phil_A

I picked up the Everyman edition of the Northern Lights trilogy recently, it's a lovely, lovely thing.

The Folio Society editions are even nicer, though. Cor.

I've always loved the original Tove Jansson painted cover art for Moominvalley In November. Perfectly encapsulates the feeling of Autumnal melancholia contained therein. The modern Moomin covers are just bland really, it's a bit of a shame.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Quote on October 18, 2017, 11:35:56 PM

Yes, I love the Ballard covers in this style. I like the way its used for the short stories collection, but in black:

stunted

mothman

I don't have many books left now, but I do still have this one because I liked the cover.

I have a poster of this, framed, on my wall. Went into Waterstones where they'd had a display and asked nicely.

Repeater

that antartica one is horrendous, get the author's name to fck

Andy147

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 18, 2017, 09:40:58 PM
Spotted these delightful jackets together in the window of a Charing Cross Road bookshop recently. Pure Claypipe Music!

If you search for "New Naturalists covers" you can get a whole array of covers like that one. Done by Rosemary and Clifford Ellis (well, the early ones were).

greenman

Maybe because I grew up with them but I'v always loved the simplicity of the second edition of Lord of the Rings...

mothman

^ I think that's essentially the same basic design concept used for the trio of paperbacks I have (dating from aorund 1980 I think).

Brundle-Fly

Yes, it's tacky but I love everything about it. I wonder where that giant prop is today. Probably in Peter Stringfellow's shed.

Captain Crunch

I don't like Lord of the Rings but we had those versions in my house growing up, smothered in nicotine stains of course.

And there have been several 

holyzombiejesus

Me too. Always reminded me of the closing titles of The Incredible Hulk.