Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MGMT

Started by ArtParrott, October 18, 2017, 10:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtParrott

Sooo MGMT have "dropped" a new song, "Little Dark Age" is the title track from their fourth album (still no word of an official release date for that yet).

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtL5oMyBHPs

After the first listen I thought it was all a bit pedestrian and coming four years after MGMT, a bit of a let down. But having given it another go, I think there's a bit more here and will reserve judgement until I can hear the whole album.

For the record - Congratulations > Oracular Spectacular > > > MGMT

PaulTMA

Very pleased to see that at least on other music forums, 'Congratulations' seems to be gaining some kind of 'Pinkerton' or 'Six'-like momentum.  Tried very hard to get into the third album but that never quite happened.

Norton Canes

'Time to Pretend' has some of the greatest lyrics of any pop song.

the science eel

The first album is some kind of masterpiece. The second isn't as accessible so people think it's better. The same bollocks happened with Suede. All the good ideas are on the debut.

ArtParrott

Quote from: PaulTMA on October 18, 2017, 11:04:04 AM
Very pleased to see that at least on other music forums, 'Congratulations' seems to be gaining some kind of 'Pinkerton' or 'Six'-like momentum.  Tried very hard to get into the third album but that never quite happened.

Congratulations is easily one of my favourite albums of all time. There's a CaB thread from 2010 I dug up before starting this one, it's quite nice that people then started off lukewarm and quickly warmed up to it. My kind of people - http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=24215.0

IMO The self-titled has some nice moments, Alien Days in particular, but it is far too all over the place.

itsfredtitmus

They're only the next Supertramp

SteveDave

I was so disappointed by "Oracular Spectacular" after loving "Time To Pretend" and the ridiculous 12 minute long b-side from that single. It was just that single, "Kids" and then some wanking as far as I remember.

"Congratulations" I ignored upon release (once bitten) but a friend suggested that I'd like it so bought it cheap in an HMV sale (the past) and didn't stop listening to it for about a month. The title song still has a special place in my head.

The third album was balls bar "Your Life Is A Lie" which is fucking loud compared to everything else on my iPod.

"Little Dark Age" sounds like Flight Of The Conchords doing their 80s parody. The chorus is nice though.

Bazooka

I have a funny relationship with MGMT ,loved Kids as a single, it was everywhere at the time and still is a bloody good catchy pop song in the decade of blogs, just simple fun. But then Merriweather Post Pavillion happened, yes a year after Oracular Spectacular, but every electronic pop act just couldn't reach the same heights or hasn't since. I like Congratulations quite a bit, so will definitely give this a chance.

Paaaaul

Quote from: the science eel on October 18, 2017, 11:21:52 AM
The first album is some kind of masterpiece. The second isn't as accessible so people think it's better. The same bollocks happened with Suede. All the good ideas are on the debut.
Idiot.

ajsmith2

Quote from: the science eel on October 18, 2017, 11:21:52 AM

Sorry, The 2nd one is the good one.

the science eel

'oooh it's dark and uncompromising oohhh a REAL ARTISTIC STATEMENT

the science eel

'ooohhh I've got a tape of John Cale shoving pineapples up his arse in 1980 oooh it's a challenging piece but not without merit ooohhhhh

ajsmith2

I love it. My enjoyment of it isn't affected, if I was going to get pretentious about a musical act it wouldn't be over MGMT. It's just got brilliant brilliant tunes on it. I know melodies are one of the most subjective things to evaluate, so fair enough your mileage varies, but I resent the conclusion that people are faking their love of it over the first. I heard the singles off the first album and they did nothing for me. I heard the singles of the second album and was drawn in cos they were so good. Then heard the album and it was all amazing. I don't think it's particularly 'dark' either. 'It's Working' is as upbeat as it gets.

the science eel

Quote from: ajsmith2 on October 18, 2017, 05:31:15 PM
'It's Working' is as upbeat as it gets.

It is. It's a good one.

I quite like it but it's not stuffed with great songs like the debut.

The only negative thing I can say about Oracular Spectacular is that it's pretty front-loaded. I'm not sure any of the last five songs are great, exactly.

kngen

Quote from: the science eel on October 18, 2017, 06:44:10 PM
I'm not sure any of the last five songs are great, exactly.

Of Moons, Birds and Monsters is my favourite MGMT track by far - it's like a drunken collaboration between Sparks and Buckingham-Nicks.

the science eel

oh REALLY?!?

I'll give it another go. Ta.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: PaulTMA on October 18, 2017, 11:04:04 AM
That's happening with of Montreal's Paralytic Stalks (which nobody liked when it first came out)

PaulTMA

If anyone wanted to opt for an "AHHH!", contrary opinion about which album is best then surely they would be selecting the third album as supposedly the best, which I don't believe anyone really does.

MGMT were in the odd position of having to follow up three unexpected massive hits and inadvertently spawned the Go Bots-like franchise of Empire Of The Sun, which meant there was quite a lot of distain for them seemingly choosing to return with an album with no obvious hits at all.  It seemed like a good opportunity to dismiss or largely write them off.  I played 'Congratulations' to death back in 2010 but it was a little frustrating to not see it get the respect it deserved at the time, although I do remember arguing with some Tiny Mix Tapes contributor tosser that it would be critically reappraised one day, to which he smugly replied "no, I don't think so".  Obviously all that now matters is for this to definitely happen.

Can't say I've particularly enjoyed the live MGMT experience much, the biggest problem being the singer is not very good at projecting his voice on stage.  That and the annoying, obnoxious, sea-of-smartphones audience - I had a guy push his doubled-over girlfriend's head in to my back the last time - enough to make anyone not want to try.  At that show it seemed like a third of the crowd left after the three hits were played.

ArtParrott

Quote from: PaulTMA on October 19, 2017, 11:09:29 AM
Can't say I've particularly enjoyed the live MGMT experience much, the biggest problem being the singer is not very good at projecting his voice on stage.  That and the annoying, obnoxious, sea-of-smartphones audience - I had a guy push his doubled-over girlfriend's head in to my back the last time - enough to make anyone not want to try.  At that show it seemed like a third of the crowd left after the three hits were played.

The one and only time I've seen them was during the tour for the third album and I thought they were good. Had to settle for seated tickets at the Kentish Town Forum which turned out to be a rather astute move, being above and away from the smartphone twats and the chorus of Der-Der-Der-Der-DerDer-Der-DerDer-Ders

Norton Canes

Hey this song is great

Viero_Berlotti

It's getting a lot of airplay on 6music and it's definitely a grower. I've never been a huge fan of MGMT but I'm interested in hearing the new album now.

Bence Fekete

I must've played Congrats 1,000 times on my way to work.  It's such a meticulously crafted swathe of psychedelic pop, just the slice of non-reality you need before the drudgery kicks in. 

Agree that MGMT was a big letdown.  Alien Days was an unrepresentative teaser (still a great track on it's own).  Sometimes I find the lyrics a bit 'whatever sounds good', but they compensate melodically enough.  Great band, capable of great things.  FIngers Crossed eh...