Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:05:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oxide Ghosts screening in Dublin

Started by QuadraSpazzedOnALifeGlug, October 19, 2017, 07:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi folks, first time poster here - just dropping in because I saw a few inquiring about an Irish screening and I spied that The Sugar Club are putting one on (plus Q&A) November 29th, here's the event page;

http://www.thesugarclub.com/listings/event/oxide-ghosts-the-brass-eye-tapes

Tickets are on sale at 9am tomorrow morning according to the event page!

Enzo

Glebe

Oh fuck, thanks for posting that! Will defo try and go to that!

Rich Uncle Skeleton

No probs folks!

Also tickets are sold out for the first screening, but they just added a second later one at 8ish in case you missed it. I'm getting all my info from the FB event page by the way.

checkoutgirl

The Sugar Club is a decent venue with nice seats and a bar at the back that stays open during the film (for the two screenings I was at) but the projector/screen set up isn't great. It looks like a popcorn classic VHS job. Still I'll snap up a ticket or two if there are any left tomorrow.

checkoutgirl

Two Dublin shows sold out. Fuck sake.

Glebe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 25, 2017, 11:05:34 AM
Two Dublin shows sold out. Fuck sake.

Nialler9 gave it a push earlier, not surprised. Seems like the existence of the film itself is unknown to most.

Enzo

wonder if I get it brought to Cork...

Two more screenings and Q&As just announced for an earlier date on Saturday 25th November.

Thomas

I'm on the way to one such showing now. Anyone got a question for the Q&A they'd like me to consider asking?

Glebe

Okay so it look's like a mate has managed to nab tickets to tonight's showing, anyone else going? In any case, will report any bits and pieces!

Glebe

So as I said a mate secured tix for this and I actually got to see it in the end (huzzah!), so here goes my little write-up! Apologies for stuff that has already been mentioned...

Sadly, unlike Thomas we didn't get Arthur Matthews tonight, but in any case The Sugar Club is a nice little venue... in his intro, Cummings referred to how it had mostly been screening in cinemas, and this was the most usual place it had screened until they went round the rest of the country (Belfast, Galway I think... Donegal?). He also mentioned his surprize at how well the showings were going everywhere, apparently they replaced screenings of Blade Runner 2049 and Murder on the Orient Express at a couple of cinemas!

Anyway, really enjoyed it, some very interesting/funny unseen stuff, watching Morris corpse is an absolute treat... the fox in his mouth, Mark Heap making him grin with "You're from Gloucester!" or something, a few smiles as the psycho battery guy, flicking the little clip thing in the science episode... also, as mentioned, Purves Grundy's references to Daniels "Help us get that trunk out!" is wonderful. Also, the girl in the Sex episode has one of the funniest break-ups, in response to Morris'"When you fall over in the snow, do you make a couple of bumps?" She goes, "I knew it was coming!"

The David Sullivan stuff got some of the biggest laughs... apparently MP Graham Bright was the only participant who managed to get his segment removed, we get to hear him mention "boom raves" here! Am I imagining things, or was the Lady Parliament bit including in the DVD deleted scenes? Four Lions' Nigel Lindsay suing for possible STDs after getting spunked in the eye was also quite funny. The mandrill has been mentioned, apparently it was the second-most expensive hire after the zebra.

There's definitely a share of stuff that wasn't up to scratch for the finished show, and some unpleasantness which they probably never intended to broadcast, but it's good stuff overall.

As for the Q&A, someone asked if any of the extras took offence to the material, Cummings recalled something that I think may be mentioned in Disgusting Bliss, apparently on the very first day of filming a cameraman walked out in disgust and threatened to leak info about the show to warn celebrities off. And as somebody else pointed out, Toyah was the only celebrity who immediately copped it was bollocks after been asked to read out the thing about Carla having her trunk stuck up her guts... she said she'd talk a bit about animal rights and that if they wanted, but she wouldn't read that out! He also described Toyah and husband Robert Fripp's appearance on All Star Mr & Mrs as being the end of television of something, however!

He was asked how he felt about shows that had been influenced by Brass Eye... he said he wasn't keen on Ali G at first, but thought Borat was great. Also mentioned being impressed by some recent show on Adult Swim that I can't remember the name of... one of you lot will probably cop it!

It's been mentioned, but he also described how the BBC were fine with about the first 90 seconds of footage, then just flatly refused everything after that.

Oh yeah, he also made a couple of dodgy jokes about 'Your Edmonds' managing to survive Yewtree!

Quote from: Captain Crunch on September 30, 2017, 12:44:17 AMBristol was very good, the film went down well and the questions were ok.  Lots of sidetracks into Bullseye, not sure if that was common at the other sessions?

Sadly no great anecdote, he just said they were both big fans.

Haha, yeah, in the intro he mentioned The Strange World of Guerney Slade (never seen it, but it has of course been mentioned on here in the past!) as a fave cult show, and also Bullseye... that he always ends up watching it on Challenge TV around 10PM in a hotel room or something!

Quote from: Glebe on November 30, 2017, 11:40:49 AM
Also mentioned being impressed by some recent show on Adult Swim that I can't remember the name of... one of you lot will probably cop it!

It was The Eric André Show.

Glebe

Quote from: QuadraSpazzedOnALifeGlug on December 01, 2017, 02:23:02 AMIt was The Eric André Show.

Ah right, heard of it but never saw it.

Couple of other things... Alexander Armstrong as a priest... Doon Mackichan and Hugh Dennis breaking character...

Oh yeah, and Cummings mentioned a few of the Dublin greats in his intro, to paraphrase, "Oscar Wilde, James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, Bono Vox..."