Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:27:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gulag Archipelago

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, October 20, 2017, 07:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone else here read this?

I'm only 3 chapters into it and the list of tortures inflicted on detainees during interrogation is truly fucking appalling (the worst being the grinding underfoot of male prisoners genitalia one testicle at a time). Does it get more cheery later on? Yeah I'm not holding my breath.

jobotic

Have you got the three volume set? It's pretty unrelenting, but there's a bit of variety later on. The bits i remeber of the tortures that stay with me are not related to beating but prisoners not being allowed to move. Horrifying. And obviously the "conveyor belt" - sleep deprivation.

I've decided to read Kolyma Tales by Varlam Shalamov again. I'd absolutely recommend it for a book about life in the camps.

Quote from: jobotic on November 07, 2017, 08:38:51 PM
Have you got the three volume set? It's pretty unrelenting, but there's a bit of variety later on. The bits i remeber of the tortures that stay with me are not related to beating but prisoners not being allowed to move. Horrifying. And obviously the "conveyor belt" - sleep deprivation.

I've decided to read Kolyma Tales by Varlam Shalamov again. I'd absolutely recommend it for a book about life in the camps.

I got about 1/3 of a way in and left the book on a train incurring a £13 penalty from the library. Going to have to buy the fucker now I've started it.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on November 09, 2017, 12:34:31 PM
I got about 1/3 of a way in and left the book on a train incurring a £13 penalty from the library. Going to have to buy the fucker now I've started it.

Torture.