Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:21:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Walking Dead: S8

Started by Pinckle Wicker, October 22, 2017, 08:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Episode 2 was a big steaming pile of nothing. Absolutely nothing interesting happened. Just boring, cable TV "action". Boooo! Where's Negan? At least his nonsense is interesting.

phantom_power

There's another baby on the show now. So there's that at least

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: phantom_power on November 01, 2017, 03:19:19 PM
There's another baby on the show now. So there's that at least

Too much character development on that baby. Dead next week.

phantom_power

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 01, 2017, 03:46:42 PM
Too much character development on that baby. Dead next week.

Nah, should be alright. It isn't black

Konki

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 01, 2017, 03:02:40 PM
Where's Negan? At least his nonsense is interesting.

Nah, mate. Naaaaahhhhhhh.

phantom_power

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 01, 2017, 03:02:40 PM
Episode 2 was a big steaming pile of nothing. Absolutely nothing interesting happened. Just boring, cable TV "action". Boooo! Where's Negan? At least his nonsense is interesting.

Conveniently trapped in the same boxcar as Father Idiot

wooders1978

Quote from: phantom_power on November 02, 2017, 09:03:09 AM
Conveniently trapped in the same boxcar as Father Idiot
He's coming out of that boxcar a born again christian - spinoff series "gabe and Neeg - the mission"

Quote from: wooders1978 on November 03, 2017, 10:44:13 AM
He's coming out of that boxcar a born again christian - spinoff series "gabe and Neeg - the mission"

A zombie apocalptic Version of Highway To Heaven. Which would be actually preferable to this series so far.

Malcy

Few thoughts i posted elsewhere...

It almost seems like they don't know what to do with the show anymore. An interview with Simple or someone said that they had plans for up to series 15 or something around that. It would need to vastly improve before I could commit to that. By a rule I don't give up on most shows and stick with them but I'm struggling with TWD. I'm so bored.

Maybe they should veer vastly away from using the comics as a source. For me Fear The Walking Dead is far superior. I genuinely looked forward to every episode. Its visually better with amazing location filming in my opinion, it seems more down to earth than TWD and I wonder is this something to do with the comic book aspect of it. The characters are a bit more believable as well. I wonder though if this is to do with the popularity of a lot of the characters in TWD being more important than the story.

There seems to be less of an appreciation for FTWD but I have seen a lot of people saying how cracking the 3rd series has been. I've enjoyed it more than the last few series of TWD. I didn't even remember who Morales was. It was 7 years ago but I had no recollection of him or his family even after reading an article about his return which had a full recap of his time in the show.

I like TWD and would love it to continue but I think it needs a huge cast cull, a change of location, less villains of the area they end up in and actually give them a purpose to live rather than defeat the local bad guy and his minions.

I'm fine with Negan but end his story soon. Why have none of them gone on long expeditions to find other survivors or even considered heading for the shore to travel abroad to see what the situation is. There is so so much potential for storylines and they seem to be going round in circles and the same country lanes and fields.

The only thing keeping me going is the crossover that they said would never happen and I don't even think that's going to be in the main show...

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Konki on November 01, 2017, 04:53:32 PM
Nah, mate. Naaaaahhhhhhh.

He's the only one with a personality, and his awful attempts at witty comments are entertaining.

phantom_power

A serialised show like this needs to have a clear goal for the characters and this show just doesn't have that. "Killing the latest baddie" isn't good enough, especially as this has been the goal for god knows how long. There needs to be more.

I would enjoy a season with no exterior threat at all. Just the group trying to get by and survive, with some in-fighting and internal power struggles. The zombies would just become less of a threat and more of an inconvenience. Then they could concentrate on giving the characters actual personalities and agency and believable relationships and conflicts.

Bazooka

Quote from: phantom_power on November 05, 2017, 01:44:23 PM
A serialised show like this needs to have a clear goal for the characters and this show just doesn't have that. "Killing the latest baddie" isn't good enough, especially as this has been the goal for god knows how long. There needs to be more.

I would enjoy a season with no exterior threat at all. Just the group trying to get by and survive, with some in-fighting and internal power struggles. The zombies would just become less of a threat and more of an inconvenience. Then they could concentrate on giving the characters actual personalities and agency and believable relationships and conflicts.

The program needs characters like the governor, Merl and Shane etc to stir shit up, it wouldn't matter so much if the walkers were still a threat but they aren't.

Dr Syntax Head

Pretty much this show then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(2008_TV_series)

phantom_power

Quote from: Bazooka on November 05, 2017, 07:20:27 PM
The program needs characters like the governor, Merl and Shane etc to stir shit up, it wouldn't matter so much if the walkers were still a threat but they aren't.

Why? Can they not get drama and tension some other way? If all the show can do is have a big bad to kill every season in the same boring way then there is no hope for it at all

kidsick5000

It would veer close to being a show about farming then.
Or maybe some Old West situation, like a Deadwood

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: phantom_power on November 06, 2017, 09:02:35 AM
God that show was awful

For some reason I watched the whole of the first series in one go recently. It is sooooooo bad I think I went into soap opera mode. I may as well have been watching Corrie. Only Corrie is a bit more bleak.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 06, 2017, 09:20:26 AM

Emmerdale

phantom_power

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 06, 2017, 09:20:26 AM

You mean one of the most acclaimed shows of its time? Heaven forbid

Seriously though, it wouldn't need to be. We have been fed the same plot so often now it seems we can't see any other way for the show to be, and there are. Hundreds of them. Obviously it never will, but it could

kidsick5000

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on November 06, 2017, 10:19:09 AM
Emmerdale

I didn't want to say but it would be to some extent. I was actually thinking more of the original Emmerdale Farm, where lambing would play a more significant part of the plot.

"'Appen young Carl's 'aving trouble with walkers in the lower field."

Quote from: phantom_power on November 06, 2017, 11:21:58 AM
You mean one of the most acclaimed shows of its time? Heaven forbid

Seriously though, it wouldn't need to be. We have been fed the same plot so often now it seems we can't see any other way for the show to be, and there are. Hundreds of them. Obviously it never will, but it could

Damn. I didn't mean the Deadwood mention to be a criticism, just that at best, it would become about frontiership or controlling a young town.
But I totally agree that this program needs to change it up.

Bazooka

Without spoiling it for anyone who hasn't read the comics ( I have in snippets online) the next antagonists appear more interesting, but if they follow suit with the atrocious directing/writing of this series, nothing means much anymore.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Bazooka on November 06, 2017, 02:16:02 PM
Without spoiling it for anyone who hasn't read the comics ( I have in snippets online) the next antagonists appear more interesting, but if they follow suit with the atrocious directing/writing of this series, nothing means much anymore.

They're also a fair way down the... oh hang on. Old Rick time jump.
I don't know why I'm commenting really. I stopped at some point in season 6. Not sure if I made it to the Negan fake-out.
But I find the existence of the series fascinating.

Dr Syntax Head

It seems like people are loyal for the sake of it. Or maybe it's just sunk cost effect. They've come this far, might as well see it through to the end. I jumped ship way back in series 3 but that coincided with my complete boredom with anything zombie related. I dipped in and out now and then but nah, not for me. I'll wait for Gomorrah season 3 to come out thanks.

Bazooka

I don't want to politicise things, but it is quite obvious this season is far less graphic than the previous 7. The Las Vegas shooting was the 1st of October and this season premiered on the 22nd. This would have been filmed in the spring/summer of this year, the editing and scene direction is very safe, by that I mean in comparison to the previous 7 seasons. It could be down to shit direction, writing, but 3 episodes in and this season has gone full A-team, even a knife to a zombie head which was staple, was cut away from in last nights episode. The producers/networks have clearly been told, there is real horror in real USA, we can't be depicting it on TV also, and they have enough footage to completely create a whole new edit.

AsparagusTrevor

Could be for budgetary reasons, maybe with the stars' inflated salaries they just can't afford the effects they could before.

Konki

Apart from MORGAN VS JESUS MMA that was actually okay. The gay couple's bit was done well and even though we've seen that sort of thing before I thought it was quite affecting. Also Rick getting pissed off with Daryl over those two killings could prove an interesting development... although it may well go nowhere.

maett

Only half way through the episode, it's so annoying that I've already stopped for a wank, and again to watch 15 minutes of Bob Mortimer WILTY clips on youtube. This is desperate stuff and I've come to the conclusion the only way I'd enjoy the show is if just focused on Morgan, on his own, occasionally bumping into groups but mainly on his own. Lennie James is owning this fucking shitfest.

wooders1978

I am a big walking dead apologist but this is dire - really struggling to find positives now, can't really say I like any of the remaining survivors barr Rick and Morgan
They really jumped the shark with their decision to kill off two of the best characters, yes, I get they were being true to the comics but they'd have been far better off offing say Tara and Jesus (or even Carol as they've diluted her character beyond relevance anyway) and dealing with the small bit of fan backlash than they are leaving us with these disengaging remnants of the original crew
Relentless ner-ner-nerring of machine gun fire chopped in with minor character plot development for 3 episodes now is also fucking GASH

I'm another one that has stuck with this show through some of the more shitty eps because I am a big fan of the comic and more often than not the bum eps were Only one or two per series (apart from series 2 which had some real stinkers I thought). Last nights epiode was again a very poor episode the MMA showdown between Jesus and Morngan and the cringey awful speech of the Rasta king really had my toes curling. I will stick wit( it but it is increasingly harde each episode.

phantom_power

That was dull. How many more times must we have these speeches where the baddie says they are just like the goodie, without he goodie telling them to fuck off and giving them a good reason why they aren't. And the speeches where they discuss the morality of killing the enemy in cold blood which would make them just as bad as them. Morgan gets away with it because he is a brilliant, interesting actor, but the rest can fuck off.

I quite liked Tara last season as she seemed to be the only one to retain some sort of sense of humour or levity but now she has gone all brooding as well. Gregory is about the only comic relief at the moment and seems to be from a different show with his gleefully OTT acting.

It was said to see Eric die as they were a good couple and it was so obvious and cliched. For once it would have been nice for him to have got there and him still be alive. And those Kingdom twats deserve to die for showboating in front of an enemy stronghold before they have properly secured it. Dicks

We know it all goes a bit tits-up as there was that flash-forward in episode one of Rick pleading for mercy so just fucking get on with it and get us to that point, though they obviously won't and that will be the mid-season cliff-hanger