Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alcoholism

Started by Gwen Taylor on ITV, October 24, 2017, 09:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You could make a start by not drinking early in the morning.

hummingofevil

Just do this test to confirm it definitively.

https://www.ncadd.org/get-help/take-the-test/am-i-alcoholic-self-test

I'm at serious risk* of harm from alcohol. Good to know this time of year.

*I think they mainly worked that out by me claiming I'm not particularly desperate to hang out with family when I'm having a drink - when reality is I've been pissed with my mother-in-law 4 times in the last week which proves their algorithm is nonsense and I'm definitely not an alcoholic.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on December 11, 2018, 12:17:38 PM
You could make a start by not drinking early in the morning.

Okay I will.

checkoutgirl

You Are At Risk
The results suggest you are at risk for developing problems with alcohol. You should consider arranging a personal meeting with a professional who has experience in the evaluation of alcohol problems.

Whoopee.

kittens

i've been 'at risk' according to those tests for at least the past 6 years. when's the interesting stuff gonna start happening??

Norton Canes

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 11, 2018, 01:22:10 PM
Just do this test to confirm it definitively.

https://www.ncadd.org/get-help/take-the-test/am-i-alcoholic-self-test

"Do you usually have a reason for the occasions when you drink heavily?" YES/NO

What the fuck kind of phrasing is that?! Yeah, and I've stopped beating my wife, since you ask

checkoutgirl

Quote from: kittens on December 11, 2018, 02:43:33 PM
when's the interesting stuff gonna start happening??

Drink 2.5 bottles of wine at 7.00am on an empty stomach and you'll find out.

Quote from: kittens on December 11, 2018, 02:43:33 PM
i've been 'at risk' according to those tests for at least the past 6 years. when's the interesting stuff gonna start happening??

The interesting stuff probably happened while you where last blacked out.

garnish

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 11, 2018, 02:33:59 PM
Whoopee.

Top trumps.

QuoteSerious Level of Alcohol Use
The results suggest you may have a serious level of alcohol-related problems requiring prompt attention and possible treatment. You should seek professional guidance.

a duncandisorderly

I quit while I still could, having gone through a phase in my late thirties of six pints of guinness every night. I was not in denial about it, I just didn't care. when I began to care about it, I abandoned all my self-destructive tendencies & nowadays I just have the odd glass of wine. no baccy, no weed, no coke, nothing else. been that way for over ten years thank fuck, & the mrs.

this bloke, though- & my apologies if you're geo-IP'd out of the spectacle- not only overdid it for various reasons, but lied to his healthcare professionals until it was far too late.
as he first appears in this docco, my instinct was "that isn't dementia, that's booze", but I stayed with it & the truth came out quite late. as I say, too late. a cautionary tale.

also very sad, since he was on many bedroom walls when I was a kid.

if the iplayer link's no good, look him up on wikipedia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bshqks/david-cassidy-the-last-session?suggid=b0bshqks

checkoutgirl

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on December 12, 2018, 12:51:59 AM
I just have the odd glass of wine. no baccy, no weed, no coke, nothing else.

Is that boring? Because say what you like about booze, kick, turb, stim, whizz etc, it doesn't half pass the time. Even if at least half of that time is being in bed hungover. A hangover is something to do if you find it difficult to fill your days.

For me falling flat on my face and having little to no memory of it is a big warning sign that I'm drinking stupidly.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 12, 2018, 01:02:24 PM
Is that boring? Because say what you like about booze, kick, turb, stim, whizz etc, it doesn't half pass the time. Even if at least half of that time is being in bed hungover. A hangover is something to do if you find it difficult to fill your days.

For me falling flat on my face and having little to no memory of it is a big warning sign that I'm drinking stupidly.

I miss the weed... the revelations during movies & music. but none of the rest of it. too many times overdone, too many psychotic episodes.
I'm definitely in the "one's too many, two's not enough" section.

bgmnts

Yeah drink is really starting to worry me as z societal problem. What is our fascination with this? Why do people want to get leathered? You KNOW you'll be fucked for a few days after and the long term damage is irreversible. This is coming from someone who is eating themselves to death mind...

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm an alcoholic, and it's too late to stop now.

So, that's nice.

bgmnts

I just dropped my Samsung Galaxy in a shitty toilet.

Give me a drink please.

Paul Calf

QuoteYou Did Well
The results suggest you are not currently at risk for alcohol addiction -- that you have things under control right now. Nevertheless, we suggest you continue to monitor your use and take this opportunity to learn all you can about alcohol and drugs. That way you can give yourself the best chance to keep ahead of any possible problems later.

I'm not feeling smug though. At the age of 15 I discovered a very dangerous thing: alcohol is a shit drug. The only one that's worse is tobacco, which does precisely fuck all except make you wheeze and make your breath stink.

ZoyzaSorris

Its really fun though. Unfortunately these days it does make me feel like shit out of proportion to the positives.

jobotic

Same here. I got a bit twanged Tuesday night, but not too bad. Still feel it now and have Xmas drinks tonight and a heavy weekend ahead.

hummingofevil

Quote from: bgmnts on December 13, 2018, 08:37:22 AM
Yeah drink is really starting to worry me as z societal problem. What is our fascination with this? Why do people want to get leathered? You KNOW you'll be fucked for a few days after and the long term damage is irreversible. This is coming from someone who is eating themselves to death mind...

Don't worry too much. Evidence is increasingly pointing to fact is rich middle aged types who are boozing themselves to death and the young'uns increasingly can't be fucked with it so that not too bad.* Give it a decade and the second referendum will be a piece of piss win for remain.

Be interesting to work out what the mega booze corps' version of ecigs will be when profits start to fall.

*The kids aren't drinking because they are all developing eating disorders for their instagram bodies and/or are developing anxiety issues as they worried about going viral on Snapchat and being cancelled when their mates film them saying un-woke stuff after half a bottle of voddy.

Nowhere Man

Christ if that's the kids these days then I'd rather hang out and drink with the middle aged saddos.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Nowhere Man on December 13, 2018, 04:27:57 PM
Christ if that's the kids these days then I'd rather hang out and drink with the middle aged saddos.

Fancy a pint ?