Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Where the fuck is Mark Lamarr?

Started by mippy, October 25, 2017, 01:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Sebastian Cobb

The idea that he's exactly like 8-Ace but his poison is quavers is tickling me.

Bazooka

I used my FBI/Spooks enhancement software to zoom into the checkout screen, and it was 5 x 10 packet Quaver multipacks, and 13 tubs of cheap hair gel.

biggytitbo

He's not the only top celebrity who shops in Poundworld - Sankha Guha is apperently a big fan of the Jelly Tots at the Cleckheaton Poundworld (although he prefers Poundland for bin bags) and according to last months Private Eye Alan Yentob was spotted buying 25 5-for-a-pound pack of lighters at the Home Bargains in Rotherham, totaling 125 lighters on all, which caused him to be put on an MI5 watch list.

doppelkorn

When I was little and he was on Shooting Stars, I thought he was called "Mark the Mark". That's a good comedy name.

Bhazor

Was thinking about him the other day and how much I miss 15 Storeys. Last I heard was he is essentially in happy retirement with his family and is busily hoarding old vinyls for some future limited run on 6 Music or summat.

Jockice

Quote from: Bhazor on October 25, 2017, 02:47:33 PM
Was thinking about him the other day and how much I miss 15 Storeys. Last I heard was he is essentially in happy retirement with his family and is busily hoarding old vinyls for some future limited run on 6 Music or summat.

Is 15 Storeys any good then? Because I was given a DVD of it last Christmas but never played the thing and only found it last week, when clearing up some other stuff. I'd forgotten all about it. Also I now have a TV in my bedroom with a DVD player in it so can watch it from there. Who knows, I may even play the Flight Of The Conchords DVD the same person bought me a few years ago and I again never played. God knows where that is though.

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 25, 2017, 03:13:15 PM
Yes.

I shall slip it in later then. So to speak.

I thought the rumour was that years of being a bit of a nasty piece of work finally bit him on the arse and the jobs dried up? Retiring at 50 sounds nice though so maybe he just couldn't be arsed any more..

mothman

Quote from: doppelkorn on October 25, 2017, 02:40:55 PM
When I was little and he was on Shooting Stars, I thought he was called "Mark the Mark". That's a good comedy name.

And that's the problem: he couldn't break into the overseas territories, where the real money is, because "Mark the Mark" in Forrin in "Marky Mark," and there already was one. Mark Wahlberg has the Marky Mark Market all sewn up. L

Fabian Thomsett

I don't think he really liked doing telly that much and doesn't really like radio unless he's given a free hand and a good timeslot.

Presumably he's spending loads of saved up Buzzcocks/Shooting Stars money on records.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on October 25, 2017, 04:51:36 PM
I don't think he really liked doing telly that much and doesn't really like radio unless he's given a free hand and a good timeslot.

Presumably he's spending loads of saved up Buzzcocks/Shooting Stars money on records.

I'm surprised these late 90s BBC panel shows payed so well that people like Lamarr and Sean Hughes could afford to 'retire'. I suppose there was a glut of those christmas special videos and dvds that might have payed well, Shooting Stars had a couple as did Buzzcocks.

Mind you, everyone's rich in Poundworld.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: ASFTSN on October 25, 2017, 04:52:48 PM
It is one of the best sitcoms.

I watched it years ago but bought the box set for sweetie money off amazon. I'd forgotten how many greats there are playing side characters - Eldon, Putner, Toby Jones and that guy who played the science teacher in Grange Hill and Dick Head in Bottom.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 25, 2017, 04:56:27 PM
I'm surprised these late 90s BBC panel shows payed so well that people like Lamarr and Sean Hughes could afford to 'retire'. I suppose there was a glut of those christmas special videos and dvds that might have payed well, Shooting Stars had a couple as did Buzzcocks.

Mind you, everyone's rich in Poundworld.

I think there might have been a book/CD tie-in game of the buzzcocks at one point. There definitely was one for Shooting Stars.

Dr Rock

I don't think they would've done. I don't reckon he's had say in his 'retirement', he was lucky to be able to string out his meagre talents as long as he did. Also he was by all accounts (including one I've posted here concerning me and my then wife) an areshole so nobody is probably gagging to do him any favours. I thought the last thing he was doing was an inflight radio show for some airline.

Blue Jam

Quote from: doppelkorn on October 25, 2017, 02:40:55 PM

OMG ME TOO (at least for a little while)

Also I think he's looking well for someone living on a diet of discounted Quavers.

FredNurke

[tag]Carmen Sandiego nowhere to be found in thread[/tag]

Johnny Caramel

Small Man Big Horse

Well there was also The Word, his own series, Lamarrs Attacks, The Big Breakfast and various other guest appearances and presenting jobs. If he was careful and saved his money along the way / invested it well there's no reason why he couldn't retire comfortably by 50.

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 25, 2017, 05:01:59 PMI don't think they would've done. I don't reckon he's had say in his 'retirement', he was lucky to be able to string out his meagre talents as long as he did. Also he was by all accounts (including one I've posted here concerning me and my then wife) an areshole so nobody is probably gagging to do him any favours. I thought the last thing he was doing was an inflight radio show for some airline.

Though on the flip side I think you're right about him being an arsehole, and people not wanting to work with him from the various stories I've heard.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 25, 2017, 05:15:07 PM
Well there was also The Word, his own series, Lamarrs Attacks, The Big Breakfast and various other guest appearances and presenting jobs. If he was careful and saved his money along the way / invested it well there's no reason why he couldn't retire comfortably by 50.

I imagine he's gone along the Sean Hughes route and become yet another north London property mogul.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 25, 2017, 05:15:07 PM

Those were all at least twenty years ago though. He'd have had to invest very wisely and live like a pauper to have enough for the next 20 years of slim pickings as a niche Radio DJ, then also having enough left over to comfortably retire. I can't see him as the type to wisely invest, unless maybe he's someone's landlord, which wouldn't make his retirement that cushy.

biggytitbo

I liked Lamarr, he was great on Buzzcocks until he genuinely seemed to get fed up with it and became a pain in the arse. He was obviously playing a character on Shooting Stars, which made it all the funnier when he broke out of it. And Lamarrs Attacks is surprisingly excellent, even if it was (or because it was) mainly early Sean Lock standup. I don't know if he really was an arsehole in real life but most of what was on screen was a persona.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 25, 2017, 05:44:14 PM
Those were all at least twenty years ago though. He'd have had to invest very wisely and live like a pauper to have enough for the next 20 years of slim pickings as a niche Radio DJ, then also having enough left over to comfortably retire. I can't see him as the type to wisely invest, unless maybe he's someone's landlord, which wouldn't make his retirement that cushy.

It's a similar amount of work to Hughes though and he managed it didn't he?

biggytitbo

Well he is dead. Maybe he wouldn't have managed if he'd lived to 80.

ieXush2i

Quite a few stand-ups invested in property ages ago. Don't know if Lamarr did but his friend Jo Brand did.

lankyguy95

I don't quite know if he's taken a voluntary retirement. I read an interview with Phill Jupitus a few months back who was complaining about the way the BBC manage their radio shows and he mentioned their inability to give Lamarr a platform as an example of their ineptitude, which, given they're pretty good friends, might suggest that Lamarr isn't averse to taking jobs.