Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:50:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Where the fuck is Mark Lamarr?

Started by mippy, October 25, 2017, 01:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 25, 2017, 07:58:01 PM
Just looked to see if he quit or was fired from Buzzcocks

Initially he was just taking a break from the show and Amstell was only going to be sitting in the chair for a few episodes of that series, but Lamarr "got used" to not doing it and realised that he'd got fed up with the whole thing, and handed in his notice whilst the series was still being filmed.  If memory serves, Amstell missed a few episodes later in that series to meet other commitments, as he obviously wasn't expecting to take over full time.  I also seem to remember (correct me if I'm wrong) that the first episode of the second series under Amstell's tenure opened with a big mystery as to who the new full time presenter was going to be, before Amstell emerged from the smoke saying "hello".

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bazooka on October 25, 2017, 10:21:45 PM
Correct, if you zoom in x 10000 to that image, he is clearly using his staff discount card for 1% off those Quavers and hair gel.

£100 off ain't bad, though.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 25, 2017, 07:20:09 PM
After Buzzcocks, he retreated to radio because that's what he truly enjoyed. After a while, that became too much work for him and it was affecting his love of music, so he quit. Now he just hangs out with his mountains of records and money.

According to this article, Lamarr left Radio 2 because it had "become much less interested in non-mainstream music, and my position there has been extremely uncomfortable."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/dec/03/mark-lamarr-departing-radio-2

However, I don't see why he couldn't have gone on to join 6 Music. He would've fitted in fine there. He does say in the article that he wasn't particularly looking for another job, so maybe, as you say, he really couldn't be arsed with radio anymore. That's a shame, if true, as I always enjoyed listening to his shows.

Glebe

Quote from: Enzo on October 25, 2017, 09:14:06 PMI can't confirm that, but I can confirm that Poundland in Ireland is called "Dealz", which is the shittest name for a shop ever.

I actually only discovered this the other day, when I noticed 'Part of the Poundland family' on a Dealz facade. I was actually gonna start a topic about it, I was so impressed (fuck it, I still will). The simiarities to Dealz - now confirmed as the Irish cousin of Poundland - in that photo of Lamarr are, quite simply, eerie.

Dealz.

Shit Good Nose

Do Dealz undercut their Poundland parent by making everything 99p (or 99c.  Which is a pound.  B'BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!)?

Glebe

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 26, 2017, 12:04:58 AMDo Dealz undercut their Poundland parent by making everything 99p (or 99c.  Which is a pound.  B'BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!)?

It's no laughing matter, SNG. Knowing that the quality tat I've been perusing is very possibly of the exact same make as that stocked by Poundland... it really gives one a sense of gravity.

Shit Good Nose

Hey, now - Poundland is alright.  They DO have some good deals on decent stuff.  Like Quavers, for example.

Glebe

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 26, 2017, 12:10:54 AM
Hey, now - Poundland is alright.  They DO have some good deals on decent stuff.  Like Quavers, for example.

Do they do Blu-rays for €1.49? Swivel.

Dr Rock

I don't suppose anyone knows if Mark Lamarr is adopted? As an adopted man myself, I'm often quite good at guessing who might be, based on certain behavioural and personality traits. I was not surprised at all to find out Stewart Lee was, for example. It's like gaydar but for adopted people.

Also he was born in 1967 which is like the peak year for people getting adopted.

I had Derren Brown down as adopted until he revealed he was gay, which was what was probably confusing my sensors.

Howj Begg

I love the fact that this question comes up regularly on this site, almost as much as questions about Roy Jay. We must be the net's no 1 resource of Mark Lamarr disappearance info.

Well worth it for that Poundland pic though. Another piece of the puzzle...We can now picture him gorging himself on Quavers in his rocking chair surrounded by 1950s memorabilia. Or maybe it's all for his "nephew's birthday party". That's the excuse I give.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Glebe on October 26, 2017, 12:11:44 AM
Do they do Blu-rays for €1.49? Swivel.

Nah. 

They do 'em for a pound.

Glebe

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 26, 2017, 12:13:34 AMNah. 

They do 'em for a pound.

There products are of 'sterling' quality - AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

manticore

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 25, 2017, 07:06:04 PM
Never understood the venom towards Phill Jupitus.

No, nor do I. Seems like perfectly fine bloke to me. Maybe it's because he was on QI a lot and people hate watching QI.

I heard a Radio 4 interview with Lamarr in the 90s sometime and he described going out every weekend in his youth with the intention of fighting, in a gang IIRC. He said he lost his Swindon accent when he moved to London and shared a house with a bloke with a London accent. I thought he could have just admitted to getting rid of it deliberately, people would understand.

Bhazor

Poundland DVD racks used to be a goldmine for hilariously awful films. But now that HMV and Zavvi and Woolworths and every other physical media shop is dying on its arse Poundland just sells good films. Where's the fun in that? I want 10 in 1 Honk Kong action collections with the subtitles burned into the film stock. I want dvd covers that are just scans of the vhs release.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bhazor on October 26, 2017, 12:27:27 AM
Honk Kong action collections with the subtitles burned into the film stock

Subtitles?  Luxury.  Etc.

Dr Rock

Quote from: manticore on October 26, 2017, 12:24:10 AM
No, nor do I. Seems like perfectly fine bloke to me.

Yes, but I think he was paid to be funny.

Glebe

Now you can get some crap romcom from a few years ago on the blurays for a bit of pocket change.

Anyway, Mark Lamarr. Quavers.

Bhazor

I thought we settled all that. Lamarr is not dead but is in more or less self imposed retirement. Living with his family and an attic full of vinyl wanking off on to his turntable then getting down on his knees and turning the table to 78RPM so that the cum splats across his own face.

Now we're talking about Poundland and how the fall of western capitalist society is improving their dvd selection. Come 2024 when we're fighting in the inevitable water wars I'm sure you'll be able to get the complete Blu-ray The Wire box set from any Poundland.

manticore

People have been talking about the water wars since the 70s and they never happened.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 26, 2017, 12:12:49 AM
I don't suppose anyone knows if Mark Lamarr is adopted? As an adopted man myself, I'm often quite good at guessing who might be, based on certain behavioural and personality traits. I was not surprised at all to find out Stewart Lee was, for example. It's like gaydar but for adopted people.

Also he was born in 1967 which is like the peak year for people getting adopted.

I had Derren Brown down as adopted until he revealed he was gay, which was what was probably confusing my sensors.

Maybe, as another adopted he fits the bill - likes being alone for example - Black sheep - collecting

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 25, 2017, 10:57:59 PM
Initially he was just taking a break from the show and Amstell was only going to be sitting in the chair for a few episodes of that series, but Lamarr "got used" to not doing it and realised that he'd got fed up with the whole thing, and handed in his notice whilst the series was still being filmed.  If memory serves, Amstell missed a few episodes later in that series to meet other commitments, as he obviously wasn't expecting to take over full time.  I also seem to remember (correct me if I'm wrong) that the first episode of the second series under Amstell's tenure opened with a big mystery as to who the new full time presenter was going to be, before Amstell emerged from the smoke saying "hello".

Some of that is true. It started off as a break but I guess he decided to quit. There was one series of guest hosts, Amstell hosted just one of them. Similar to when Paul Merton took a series break from HIGNFY and they had guest team captains. But once it was clear Lamarr wasn't coming back, they announced Amstell as the new host. I don't remember the smoke thing.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 25, 2017, 11:31:59 PM
According to this article, Lamarr left Radio 2 because it had "become much less interested in non-mainstream music, and my position there has been extremely uncomfortable."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/dec/03/mark-lamarr-departing-radio-2

However, I don't see why he couldn't have gone on to join 6 Music. He would've fitted in fine there. He does say in the article that he wasn't particularly looking for another job, so maybe, as you say, he really couldn't be arsed with radio anymore. That's a shame, if true, as I always enjoyed listening to his shows.

Yeah, as I said in another post, he did other interviews elaborating on his decision. I'm sure that stuff is true, but he was mostly burned out. After a Buzzcocks binge a few years ago, I did some pathetically deep digging to find out what Lamarr was up to. Turns out the answer is pretty much nothing.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 26, 2017, 12:57:58 AM
Some of that is true. It started off as a break but I guess he decided to quit. There was one series of guest hosts, Amstell hosted just one of them. Similar to when Paul Merton took a series break from HIGNFY and they had guest team captains. But once it was clear Lamarr wasn't coming back, they announced Amstell as the new host. I don't remember the smoke thing.

Yeah, that's right - I knew it was initially just a break that became a full quitting mid-series.  The Amstell takeover I'm possibly conflating with later on in his tenure when he had the rising chair and such.  I'm sure he emerged from smoke and just mildly said "hello" at some point in it, though.

Bennett Brauer

RIP Mark Lamarr. He hated himself for doing it. It was beneath him. 😢

slapasoldier

Let's not forget that he dropkicked a 19 year old Rhys Thomas in the chest.

Enzo

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 26, 2017, 12:04:58 AM
Do Dealz undercut their Poundland parent by making everything 99p (or 99c.  Which is a pound.  B'BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!)?

With sterling in the doldrums at £1-€1.12 us Irish are being ripped off with everything for €1.50

Ferris

How the fuck is Mark Lamarr?

(Very well, and how are you?)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: manticore on October 26, 2017, 12:24:10 AM
No, nor do I. Seems like perfectly fine bloke to me. Maybe it's because he was on QI a lot and people hate watching QI.

He was alright playing Chris Moyles as Deputy Dawg

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 25, 2017, 07:06:04 PM
Never understood the venom towards Phill Jupitus.

Some people just can't appreciate a good wookie impression I suppose

biggytitbo

You might scoff at the name Dealz but it's much more future proof than poundland, which due to inflation will have to sell single rice crispy in a small box by 2025 in order to maintain the £1 ceiling and still be profitable.

idunnosomename

Surely the problem with Fill Jupiter is that he doesn't seem to do anything other than panel shows. He's not a real comedian.

Now I've just thought, perhaps it's like Trap Door and Mark Lamarr has to buy stupendous amounts of Quavers to placate Phil Jupitus who lives upstairs in his master bedroom