Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:02:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How many books do you read a year? A Pissing Contest

Started by Kishi the Bad Lampshade, October 25, 2017, 06:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

Just to annoy everyone, I've already finished my first book of 2018.

tookish

I've been feeling rubbish for the last week so haven't read a single one of my Christmas books - unheard of for me! Tonight I'll plunge into the first book of 2018. Mrs de Winter, by Susan Hill. Looks brilliant.

purlieu

I set my Goodreads target to 100 again this year, and I am currently two books behind schedule.

Lee Van Cleef

I hate setting a target for these kinds of things because I become a bit obsessive, or I give up. As a result I can't relax and just enjoy reading for the sake of it.

Usually manage around 20 a year. Stupidly set myself up for 50 this year. One down... Already thinking I may just not bother reading any more.

buttgammon

I'm actually starting to record the books I read for fun - I've read ten and abandoned one more, and read fuck knows how many other things for college.

BritishHobo

Every year I try really hard to top my number from the previous year, and I've done it four years in a row. Hit a hundred for the first time last year. Ain't fuckin happening in 2018, pal. First day of March and I've finished my first book of the year. Two months to read a single Peanuts volume.

sillymisslily

Only started counting on my birthday last year, up to 33. Tried for a book a week but haven't read any for the last three weeks or so. Got 20 weeks left so need to get on it.

Serge

My reading's taken a hit this year because of my illness. Theoretically, being off should give me plenty of time to read, but I'm so tired and my concentration is shot a lot of the time, so I'm just re-reading old books (mainly Bill Bryson), because I know them so well that it isn't too challenging.

Annoyingly, I've got about half a dozen novels by American authors on my to-read pile, but reading Jonathan Lethem's 'Chronic City' has really out me off reading American fiction at the minute. There are a couple of new crime novels coming out this week, which are sequels to books I read last year (by Abir Mukherjee and Thomas Mullen), so I'm going to buy them, and think I'll have no problem with them. I'm going to re-read David Stubbs' Krautrock book next, though.

Having said that, I've just checked and (including re-reads), I've read 19 books so far this year.

purlieu

I'm on 16 now, which is apparently only one behind schedule for my full 100, so I'm catching up. And in a couple of books time I have a run of Target novelisations, which I can get through two a day of, so I'll be way ahead then.

I'll be off before I turn this into another Doctor Who thread.

Pranet

I write down every book I read, and in a way I wish I didn't as I am sure that it sometimes affects my book choices. Shall I read that big history book, or shall I read that slim novel with the large print, which I will finish before the end of the month and make it look I read more books (to me, who is the only person who looks at the list or could conceivably care about this)? I will read the novel, I think.