Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,369
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:14:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What AREN'T you reading? A 'books you've stalled on' thread

Started by studpuppet, October 26, 2017, 11:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Moby Dick, which would trim a few of the whale descriptions down a bit.

MoonDust

Too late to edit it now, but by 200 - 300 I did mean to add the word pages there.

But I think Famous Mortimer got what I meant anyway. Never read Moby Dick. I nearly bought it last week though.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Moore's  Jerusalem.

I started it in December, got a few chapters into its thin-papers-dense-with-words, got distracted by shorter books and haven't picked it up since January. What I'd read, I'd enjoyed. I was particularly impressed that I could feel such pathos for the maker of a "We Luv St Princess of Hearts Diana" collage.  Given the breadth and scope in his story, I was already noticing that, just when I was getting interested in something, off we would go to another time, another place (albeit, inevitably, still in Northampton); That'd probably annoy me less if I knew I'd get back to wherever we were before soon enough, with all the strands held in my tiny brain.

I'll get back to it eventually, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But it lurks there, promising to eat my future. I'll make a deal with myself: I'll have read Jerusalem by the time Bumper Book of Magic comes out. I reckon that'll be doable...

SteveDave

Catch 22. I've started it twice in the last 10 years and both times gotten to about page 50 and thought "Ahh fuck it" I fell asleep watching the film too.

New Jack

Quote from: timebug on June 19, 2018, 09:52:25 AM
Tried a couple of Thomas Pynchon books; no go I'm afraid.
They just didn't grab me enough to give a shite about any
of the characters or plot/lack of plot to care enough to want
to read any more of them. Got about ten pages into one and
only about six into the other. Lots of people rave about them,
that's fine; each to their own,say I. But can someone PLEASE
put Dan Brown out of his misery as soon as possible? I was
lent the DaVinci Bollocks and did in fact read it all. That was
a few hours of my life I will never get back. Ho hum!

If he did carriage returns halfway through sentences, I bet you'd have lapped him up

Howj Begg

Ha. Just came here to post about Pynchon. I've picked Gravity's Rainbow back up. And it's keeping me glued this time, as the adventure side of it has ratcheted up.

Glebe

I had a bash at The Silmarillion again recently, to no available. I also never got through H.P. Lovecraft collection The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories. One day. One day.

northernrebel

I'm trying to read 'The Man Without Qualities' by Robert Musil. The style is really odd. I like it, but it is hard to get into, and I think I'll probably never get it finished, not when other, more inviting books beckon.

On that note I tried to read Kierkegaard once and gave up in despair (very aptly). I felt like a dunce after trying and failing to understand him.

shh

Quote from: northernrebel on September 18, 2018, 03:25:48 PM
I'm trying to read 'The Man Without Qualities' by Robert Musil. The style is really odd. I like it, but it is hard to get into, and I think I'll probably never get it finished, not when other, more inviting books beckon.

Funny, I remember reading that a few years ago and rattling through it, and yet I'm stuck on the comparatively slim 'Loser' by Thomas Bernard. I'm about fifty pages in and it's dawned on me that it is actually just going to be the narrator talking about Glenn Gould for another hundred pages. I wonder is the 'novel in one paragraph' just a bit of an intellectual gimmick.