Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No Skipping

Started by Barry Admin, October 26, 2017, 01:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Is there anything worse than a game where you can't skip dialogue and cutscenes? Jesus wept. Still not being able to fully reconfigure control schemes on console games is up there too.

I thought I'd play some Pokemon games on my DS last night, but I was hammered, and died before a checkpoint. Now I've got a hangover and I have to wade through screens of shit-ass dialogue about Magnemites and Totodiles again. And I'm "Team Hillary" and I can't change that without starting all over again, and wading through more unskippable dialogue. Thanks, Obama.

biggytitbo

It's infuriating, hate it. I remember fiddling around with Far Cry 3 a while back trying to get it to run and ending up sititng through the interminable unskippable opening about 10 times to the point that it put me off ever wanting to play the game.

A lot of Nintendo games from the Snes/n64/gamecube era had shitty unskippable openings and dialogue scenes aswell - nobody cares about your horrendous dialogue. I'm very much of the belief that games shouldnt have cut scenes at all, at least not ones where you're character is not controllable. Tell the story in the gameplay.

madhair60

Here's how all game cutscenes should work.

Pressing start pauses. Holding another, different button skips.

Viero_Berlotti

I remember playing MGS 4. It would be late, I'd have work the next day. So I'd think "I'll get to the end of this stage and then get to bed". Cue an interminably long 30 minute cut scene. I think you could skip them, but I always felt like I was going to miss an important part of the story line. Fuck knows why I bothered because it never made any sense to me at all. I've just looked it up and apparently there was 8 hours of cut scenes in that game.

https://youtu.be/5AhGj4oisfU

madhair60

There's at least one cutscene with a save point in the middle of it. Then the cutscene goes on another forty minutes.

Fry

Honestly there's no excuse for an unskippable cut scene. One of the basic things anyone whose spent anytime playing games can tell you is a bad idea. Christ I'm so angry, I've got myself all up in a lather thinking about unskippable cutscenes. I'm going for a walk.

Captain Poodle Basher

I timed a cutscene in one of the Final Fantasy games that lasted 21 minutes. Twenty Fucking One Minutes of shit dialogue between characters I cared little about. Oh, and this being before one could install games onto the XBox 360, the constant whirring and grinding from the DVD drive broke the fucker.

AsparagusTrevor

If a game needs 20-40 minute long cutscenes the plot is probably too convoluted. In the case of MGS4 and Final Fantasy this is certainly the case. Plus developers should be trying their hardest to tell the story through the gameplay.

Quote from: madhair60 on October 26, 2017, 11:26:58 PM
There's at least one cutscene with a save point in the middle of it. Then the cutscene goes on another forty minutes.
Yeah, and when they stick them before unskippable cutscenes it's the fucking worst, that should be an extremely basic design no-no.

Great game though it was, the recent Doom was a fucker for shit save-point placement, having a long but fairly easy bit before a difficult part where you're likely to die multiple times, they'd stick the save-point at the start of the easy bit so you'd end up repeating it over and over to get to the hard bit and inevitably die.

asids

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 27, 2017, 10:51:37 AM
Great game though it was, the recent Doom was a fucker for shit save-point placement, having a long but fairly easy bit before a difficult part where you're likely to die multiple times, they'd stick the save-point at the start of the easy bit so you'd end up repeating it over and over to get to the hard bit and inevitably die.

Yeah, that one's a real shitter that gets annoying. Even worse than that though is when the game gives you a checkpoint at the area just before the boss fight rather than the start of the boss fight itself, so you have to plough through an area of easy enemies again before you inevitably die in your 4th attempt at the boss fight. It's a fairly rare occurrence and most devs have enough common sense not to put that in, but I have had to deal with it before.

Blue Jam

The most recent Doom did my fucking nut in, largely because of the save points and having to trudge up a load of staircases and along a load of corridors to fight an easy battle again and again and again... still might try and finish it but it will probably take me ages, depending on how much it pisses me off.

After completing my third playthrough of Prey this week I went back to have another go at Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and noted how the long cutscenes aren't just annoying, they also pull you out and make the game much less immersive. I want to play a game here- if I wanted to watch a movie I'd watch a movie FFS.

All that said, my main problem with  Deus Ex is how much the protagonist looks like my ex-boss at the job I hated and recently quit- now that certainly is making it less immersive. Nrrrrrrggghhh.

Bazooka

The problem is it ruins replay-ability of otherwise great games, people who speed run games including resetting them multiple times to get the best optimal random numbers generated are pure sadists.

Cloud

Ughhhh yes, the Seymour Flux and Yunalesca battles in Final Fantasy X in particular.  Battles where the enemy often gets a chain of turns that wipes your party and you have to sit through 20 minutes of prattling again as the last save point was before the boss's cutscene.  And then you die again and have to do it again.  And again.

I could probably recite the speeches near word for word if I tried.  "Spira is a land of suffering and sorrow caught in a spiral of death.  To destroy.. to heal Spira.. I will become the next Sin."

Unpausable also sucks.  You'll be needing to go out and unable to because there's a 20 minute cutscene you can't pause.  Or worse, you try to pause and it takes it to mean "skip" and you miss it.
I always remember the first time I completed VII.  I was enormously excited, proud, choked up, shaking... this was the moment I'd been working towards for a LONG time... and then my dad walked in and said "ooh you've done it?" and started asking a bunch of questions and I missed half of it. I was so annoyed.