Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:22:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ONRUSH

Started by mobias, October 30, 2017, 09:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

This was announced today at the Paris Games Week which is currently on. Its being made by the former guys from Evolution studios who were taken in by Codemasters. It looks absolutely like the spiritual successor to Motorstorm us arcade racing fans have been waiting for. Coming next Summer https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=45&v=7h_8Q3tnKrA

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/10/30/introducing-onrush-a-new-arcade-racer-from-the-creators-of-motorstorm-and-driveclub/#sf128851019

Can't wait!

Penfold

I am really enjoying this.

The matches aren't about winning a race but beating the other team in various game modes.

You try and gain boost by doing jumps, tricks, and smashing into 'fodder' cars which are black vehicles that appear on track. When your boost meter is full you can use your special 'Rush' move which is different for each vehicle. There are 8 vehicles in total split in 4 pairs starting with bikes, then buggies, then cars, then pickup trucks. My favourite move is Firewall on the Blade bike, it creates a Tron style short trail behind your bike that takes out anyone who touches it.

There are currently four game modes. Overdrive where you and your team gain as much boost as possible to reach a set target score, these are normally best of 5. Countdown where you have to drive through green gates to add time to your countdown clock, the team who reaches zero loses. Lockdown where there is a green zone moving around the track and you capture it by having more of your teams cars in the zone than the other, first to 6 zones wins. Switch where each team member has 3 switch tokens, everyone starts on a bike, once you are destroyed you are moved to the next class which is buggies, then cars. Once you are out of tokens you can only pick the pickup trucks and your job is either to hunt down the other team members who still have tokens or protect your team members who still have theirs.

I think that's how they go anyway. I also haven't played online yet, I have been doing the single player modes and customs races. It's looks great, although I haven't had much chance using the weather and time settings in the custom race menu.

Amazon currently have it for £24, which is slightly annoying as I only bought it last week for £32 at Tesco.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Koch-Distribution-CDM119-UK-RB-Onrush-PS4/dp/B0772KMBFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531319797&sr=8-1&keywords=onrush

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was looking forward to this, but I was put off when I learned that it wasn't a straight up racer. I might still get it anyway, since it's going so cheap, but does it have normal races?

Penfold

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 11, 2018, 04:47:15 PM
I was looking forward to this, but I was put off when I learned that it wasn't a straight up racer. I might still get it anyway, since it's going so cheap, but does it have normal races?

No, just the four battle modes. Not sure if it's possible as I don't think the tracks are planned out in a way to give each vehicle a chance of victory like they did in Motorstorm.

mobias

I played the beta and didn't much like it. I probably should have given it more of a chance. If its come right down in price then I guess its probably worth a second look. It looked like there was possibly fun to be had with it but in the beta at least no one seemed to have a clue what they were supposed to be doing. I dunno, its maybe just slightly too arcade-y for my tastes. Its certainly not the Motorstorm successor I was hoping for.

Penfold

Quote from: mobias on July 11, 2018, 09:42:26 PM
Its certainly not the Motorstorm successor I was hoping for.

Yeah, I miss Motorstorm, my original PS3 died a couple of months ago and I was wanting to play it, although I still hate the loading times. Oh god the loading times.

I'm surprised I'm not very annoyed by the music yet in Onrush, I'm too busy focusing on not crashing into walls but there is a song that has someone say "FYI ETA is ASAP" and it really fucks me off for some reason. The only other annoyances so far are the Wreckcams when someone takes you out which seem to be unskippable and just make it longer for you to respawn and having to press R3 to get a rear view, normally I'm always pushing X for the boost button so I don't want to slow down to check who is behind me. Otherwise I'm really enjoying this and hope it finds some popularity quicker than Driveclub did.

mobias

Game over for this sadly. Apparently this game sold just over 1000 copies on its opening weekend and Codemasters have closed down the studio created to make it and fired everyone involved. I kid you not. Sad story. 

I think it was 1000 physical but nevertheless, really poor and sad news. That said, I didn't like the demo very much and I didn't buy it. Driveclub 2 I would have bought the mega wanker edition in a heartbeat. I just didn't like what this was trying to do.

Penfold

Quote from: mobias on July 24, 2018, 09:20:59 PM
Game over for this sadly. Apparently this game sold just over 1000 copies on its opening weekend and Codemasters have closed down the studio created to make it and fired everyone involved. I kid you not. Sad story.

I thought it was the director and some other staff that fired but the studio still exists but will be supporting other projects in future?

It's a shame, I would have loved a new Motorstorm and when this was first released I watched some gameplay on YouTube and wasn't sure about it. Glad I bought it in the end, something I can sit down and play for half an hour whenever I feel like it.

mobias

Quote from: Penfold on July 25, 2018, 10:02:43 AM
I thought it was the director and some other staff that fired but the studio still exists but will be supporting other projects in future?

It's a shame, I would have loved a new Motorstorm and when this was first released I watched some gameplay on YouTube and wasn't sure about it. Glad I bought it in the end, something I can sit down and play for half an hour whenever I feel like it.

I think its being spun that way but most of the core Evolution team have been shoved out the door from what I can gather. There's currently a big deal being made of the fact that Codemasters dinned out on the PR coup of being the studio that 'saved' Evolution only to kill them off at the faintest whiff of failure. Basically the back story as far as I understand it is that Codemasters are not in great financial shape themselves and so desperately wanted OnRush made quickly and for it to be an overnight success. Corners were cut, ideas weren't fully developed and game has flopped as a result. Codemasters have then come down brutally and perhaps unfairly on all involved.

If they'd just remade Motorstorm they almost certainly would have had great success.

This must have really flopped hard, because it's already down to 15 quid - cheap enough to put it into impulse buy territory for me.

First impression is not bad, but not great either. It's fun enough, but kind of unsatisfying. The handling is a bit too floaty - I'm cackhanded, but if shouldn't be this difficult to knock the opposing team's cars of the road (especially as they only have to brush past me to mess me up). The biggest problem is with it all being team based: My team has won nearly every match, but I don't feel like I had anything to do with it.

It's a shame that it's fared as poorly as it has, but not all that much of a surprise. I'll stick with it, but I can't help but wish I was playing Burnout instead.

mobias

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 23, 2018, 09:53:00 PM
This must have really flopped hard,

Rumour has it that it sold less than 5000 copies.

Sin Agog

The gameplay footage looked like it could have potentially become a sort of racing Fortnite.  Their problem was probably not making it Free To Play from the off, and then getting people to pay for skins and what not.  Put it out on IOS as well and it would have had to do so much better,

God, was playing Motorstorm: PR today, and for such a generic sounding title it's a really brilliant, unforgiving game.  One crash could scupper any chances of victory, and you really did have to completely adjust your playing style with each vehicle.

My second impression is, sadly, worse than the first. I think it might actually be a bit crap.

Switch mode, in particular, is proving to be no fun whatsoever. It's there some trick that I'm just not getting? I'm finding it impossible to even catch up with the other team, let alone knock any of them out.

After a few more days of playing, my opinion has improved considerably. The handling takes some getting used to and it can still be a bit frustrating, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. It's not quite Burnout*, but I've been having a lot of fun with this.
I think the developers might have shot themselves in their collective foot by omitting some normal racing. All credit to them for trying something a bit different, but the premise seems a little overcomplicated. I'm reminded of when I bought Diddy Kong Racing only to find that everyone preferred the more straightforward simplicity of Mario Kart 64.

*I feel like I ought not keep harping on about Burnout, but it's not like Onrush does much to discourage the comparison.

Penfold

I believe this is in next month's PS Plus games if anyone is interested.

I imagine December is either a bad month for PS Plus games because most people are playing the latest releases, or good for people who get a PS4 as a gift and have some games to play with their PS Plus subscription, although they are probably busy playing games they got with the console so maybe the January games fare better?

I played this again last week and I did really well but I'm still not sure if it's skill based or luck. Knowing the rules and track layout helps but sometimes I still get destroyed.

Probably because you're playing against bots, for the most part. Not throwing shade but it's a fact, unfortunately, that there's no player base now.

Penfold

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 29, 2018, 12:34:52 PM
Probably because you're playing against bots, for the most part. Not throwing shade but it's a fact, unfortunately, that there's no player base now.

Bloody hell, I know the days are getting shorter but things got dark for me at about 12:34:52 PM today.

Correct though, I haven't played it online since it launched.

Dunno if I already said but this is on XB Game Pass. I just don't have any interest when FH4 is also on there.