Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

manga/anime assistance

Started by Icehaven, November 01, 2017, 11:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Can anyone recommend any manga/anime that, and I can't stress this enough, DOESN'T feature any nudity/pervy stuff about schoolgirls or anyone too young, and preferably not too much nudity and sexual stuff at all? Already got the James Patterson Maximum Ride series. Cheers!

greenman

The Miyazaki Nausicaa manga? only remember a very small amount of nudity in it and that wasn't sexual. Goes far beyond the film in terms of ambition and I think does actually provide a good understanding of his career as a whole showing were the darker side that came out when it finished(Mononoke, Spirited Away, etc) had been previously.

Space ghost

Attack on Titan
One punch man
Durarara
Haven't you heard? I'm Sakamoto
Slam dunk
Death note
ReLIFE
Ultimate survivor Kaiji

They all fit the bill.

Sin Agog

Everything by Osamu Tezuka-san, though Phoenix in particular (I'd start with vol 2- they're stand-alone stories which all feature the eponymous fire bird); Drifting Classroom is a '70s horror made roughly at the same time as the Archies, but shows that even then the Japanese were legions ahead of us in terms of narrative invention and treating drawings as being for more than kids- the Brits only really caught up with Luther Arkwright a few years later; Blame, written and illustrated by a former architect, is an almost wordless piece of stunning world-building.

Sin Agog

Quote from: greenman on November 01, 2017, 11:43:20 AM
The Miyazaki Nausicaa manga? only remember a very small amount of nudity in it and that wasn't sexual. Goes far beyond the film in terms of ambition and I think does actually provide a good understanding of his career as a whole showing were the darker side that came out when it finished(Mononoke, Spirited Away, etc) had been previously.

This too! Loved Nausicaa and the manga even more.

If you can ever find his Journey of Shuna as well, it's almost more of a picture-book, but it's one of my favourite things he's done.

Shit Good Nose

I sympathise and empathise - I asked much the same question about anime shows and films a while ago.

Anyway, I haven't read that much Manga, but:
Akira obviously (and it's fucking brilliant);
I don't recall Appleseed having too much tit to spare;
Some of the Fate series would fit (but I seem to remember that some of it also didn't);
What I've read of Blade of the Immortal (although it looks like it ought to feature some graphic rapes - it has that sort of vibe)

That's all on the more adult side (in terms of themes and violence and that).  Never went a bundle on the twee Miyazaki type stuff.

Also, on the anime side, I can heartily recommend Ajin.  On Netflix.  Best anime I've seen for fucking years, and I'm very very picky about manga stuff.

Sin Agog

Blade of the Immortal reminds me that I forgot to mention Lone Wolf & Cub.

Off to commit seppuku right away (or maybe harakiri because it's a Wednesday).

studpuppet

You could try The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, which although it contains nudity in showing dead bodies occasionally, isn't weird in that 'Japanese-businessmen-buying-used-schoolgirl-knickers-out-of-vending-machines' way that you're trying to avoid. Wikipedia calls it a horror manga, but it's not horror in the obvious sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kurosagi_Corpse_Delivery_Service

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 01, 2017, 12:19:59 PM
That's all on the more adult side (in terms of themes and violence and that).  Never went a bundle on the twee Miyazaki type stuff.

Again I would say the Nausicaa manga is a good bet there, moves greatly away from twee after the opening that the anime vaguely adapted, indeed goes so far as to take pretty big shots at it.

Kon's anime films are a good recommendation for people who don't normally especially anime I'd say, especially Millennium Actress. I'v always loved that Memories anthology that he wrote the first part of as well, three entertaining shorts that don't outstay there welcome and the anti fascist Canon Fodder is one of the best looking bits of animation I'v ever seen, more like something you'd expect to come out of eastern europe in the 70's than typical anime.

Actually up on youtube although sadly in Spainish rather than Polish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifWwj_Jp86A

Icehaven

Cheers for these, I'll definitely grab a few of them. I'm not a prude btw, they're for work, I get asked if we can get more Manga books quite a lot but I know almost nothing about it and our supplier website doesn't give any clues as to the content.

greenman

I'd recommend the larger 7 volume Viz books of Nausicaa if you got that, the smaller ones would be pretty hard to read given the level of detail. Theres a good deal of gore in them but its not really shown in an overly graphic way and I don't remember anything overtly sexual in them, perhaps not always that subtle but certainly not twee as it progresses with charming sections like...

Consignia

Quote from: icehaven on November 01, 2017, 11:38:13 AM
Can anyone recommend any manga/anime that, and I can't stress this enough, DOESN'T feature any nudity/pervy stuff about schoolgirls or anyone too young, and preferably not too much nudity and sexual stuff at all? Already got the James Patterson Maximum Ride series. Cheers!

There's more of it than you'd expect, but to help recommend is there anything in particular that you looking for? Comedy, drama, horror, action, fantasy, sci-fi, etc. ? I mean I could recommend my favourite series of recent, Shirobako, which is a workplace comedy-drama set in a fairly realistic depiction of an animation production studio. However, if you're more in the mood for a Ghibli fantasy you may want to check their recent Tale of the Princess Kaguya, which is an absolutely beautiful adaptation of a classic Japanese tale. This isn't a particular endorsement of either for you, I was just giving examples of how diverse the remit can be.

Sin Agog

I've been watching the anime of that Shirobako thing recently, and it is cool.  I personally way prefer that slice of life style in art in general these days.  Used to be I'd have to have some slice of supernatural or eldritch...or some such hook to enjoy this kind of stuff, but now just a bit've humanity is good enough for me.  Would be interested how someone who knows eff all about anime/manga would relate to Shirobako, as it surprised me to see how those things are produced (the anime at least is kind of a Sorkin-lite look behind the scenes of the making of an anime).

But yeah, what kind of shop is it you're running?  A neat but limited book store?  One of those dusty old joints with yellowed, cover-less Puffins piled up to the ceiling?  Head shop?  Multi-media shop?  The answer would probably determine what kind of things I'd recommend.

Kaguya was gorgeous, by the way.  Heavily influenced by the amazing Chinese watercolour films of Te Wei.  This is my favourite by him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuCdZCN3UdI

Space ghost

i hazarded a guess it was likely in a work capacity and tried to focus on entry level titles with broad appeal for my recommendations.

popcorn

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 01, 2017, 12:19:59 PM
Akira obviously (and it's fucking brilliant);

Not a good choice if you don't want sexual violence.

What I've read of Blade of the Immortal (although it looks like it ought to feature some graphic rapes - it has that sort of vibe)

Not a good choice if you don't want sexual violence holy shit

rue the polywhirl

Another vote for Death Note. I've not checked out the manga (can't read, also not got time for faffing thru visual novels either backwards or forwards) but the 2006 anime is a solid, cat n mousy Hitchockian thriller, resolutely non-pervy with no shreiky, disclothed schoolgirls in sight and has very few japanesey elements except the weird lookin shinigami goth creatures so is an anime it's ok to be caught watching. That's probably the only series I know anymore that fits the category.

I'm currently skimming through Sword Art Online which seems to be a good, safe, bland anime choice.

Sin Agog

So, excluding the too old and too esoteric, the too bloody and too girly, I reckon Naoki Urasawa would be a good bet for manga to order in.  20th Century Boys is a gigantic rock-infused sci-fi coming of age conspiracy thing I can see a lot of people loving, and Monster is a frosty, deadly serious medical thriller.  Both have many, many volumes, but that equals more crispy dollarz once people get into them.

Spiteface

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on November 02, 2017, 06:11:55 PM
Another vote for Death Note. I've not checked out the manga (can't read, also not got time for faffing thru visual novels either backwards or forwards) but the 2006 anime is a solid, cat n mousy Hitchockian thriller, resolutely non-pervy with no shreiky, disclothed schoolgirls in sight and has very few japanesey elements except the weird lookin shinigami goth creatures so is an anime it's ok to be caught watching. That's probably the only series I know anymore that fits the category.

Written by Toshiki Inoue, though. if his anime is as bad as his live-action stuff from that era, then yikes.

Spoon of Ploff

Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers... the online trailers don't do it justice.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: popcorn on November 02, 2017, 06:00:03 PM
Not a good choice if you don't want sexual violence.

I don't remember that much (at least in relative terms) being in it, and I did read the whole thing.

Not a good choice if you don't want sexual violence holy shit

Well, that one doesn't surprise me.  Like I said, I haven't read the whole lot and, whilst there wasn't any in what I read of it, it always seemed like it was just a few pages away.

Sin Agog

Multiple near-rape scenes don't constitute sexual violence.

Straight Faced Customer

Try the existential GoGo Monster by Taiyō Matsumoto or the very underrated three volume ghost story series Mail by Housui Yamazaki, which is about a ghostbuster/private eye who uses a magical gun to ward off the undead. Much better than it sounds.

Bhazor

Quote from: icehaven on November 02, 2017, 07:28:53 AM
Cheers for these, I'll definitely grab a few of them. I'm not a prude btw, they're for work, I get asked if we can get more Manga books quite a lot but I know almost nothing about it and our supplier website doesn't give any clues as to the content.

There are numerous fan translation sites that just post the whole manga online. Usually they include content tags.

Just look for Manga online and you'll be good.

Spoon of Ploff

oooh. get some Junji Ito... manga horror... heard good things. i'd definitely buy some of that. Uzumaki looks well strange.

(apologies for the less than impressive use of the english language there)

Mr Brightside

Quote from: icehaven on November 02, 2017, 07:28:53 AM
Cheers for these, I'll definitely grab a few of them. I'm not a prude btw, they're for work

So are you saying that outside of work you can't get enough of nudity/pervy stuff about schoolgirls or anyone too young.

ANIMAL.