Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Setting off fireworks any day other than Nov 5th

Started by madhair60, November 03, 2017, 08:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

The only good Fireworks is Stravinsky's (and Knussen's).

Twit 2

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 03, 2017, 10:30:28 PM
I regard fireworks with the kind of tired, oversated disdain a debauched roman emperor regards life, having seen every possible form of depravity known to man -  "I've seen fireworks, take them away".

Omnia fui, nihil expedit.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

We've had three absolutely huge displays over the past 3 days alone. Full-on 15 minute epics. I'd imagine with the cost running into the thousands. As a night-shifter I absolutely hate it as it means not being able to sleep. I'm sure all the parents trying to get their kids off aren't exactly keen on it either. Unless we're talking 2012 London Olympic level fireworks, I struggle to see the appeal myself. But apparently it's something enough adults enjoy for it now to be a nuisance. If it's something that bothers you, you may as well book off the last week of October and the first week of November for a holiday inside a subterranean concrete silo. That's what I'll be doing next year anyway.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Pijlstaart on November 03, 2017, 09:15:47 PM
Mother was friends with a little bald man who lived in a council estate. She'd do tasteful charcoal drawings of us and he'd sell them with his business talent, a great arrangement, but we had to go to his house a lot. He liked fireworks and he set them off. Took ages, we had to stand in the garden for 20 minutes whilst he planted them in the flowerbeds and tried to get them to go off. Not an instant thing. First time I had mac and cheese, at his house, seemed like the kind of thing he'd eat, unimpressive. Some great food milestones on that council estate, mother had a prostitute friend, a tiny ugly prostitute and she made us turkey twizzlers and they were burnt and her children ate them straight off the baking tray, only time I ever had turkey twizzlers.

Traditional families too, always the men who do firework work, no firework women, unheard of. Don't know any fireworkers now, I have better taste in friends than mother, not drug-addled, and I'd think less of anyone who did it.  No real firework development, they're the same as they've always been, tiresome, and if there was genuine innovation like in the soft-play wholesale world then I'd have maintained an interest. Same old bang.

Bloody hell. Did you grow up in a Mike Leigh film? If not you should option him your life story.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 04, 2017, 04:50:27 AM
Bloody hell. Did you grow up in a Mike Leigh film? If not you should option him your life story.
Theres usually 2 or 3 'strange' families (see) on estates that look a bit like ice cream men

Icehaven

I love a really good, big proper firework display, but the endless banging of pissy little pointless supermarket firecrackers is a ridiculous waste of time and money. My boyfriend really doesn't like loud noises or sudden bangs etc. at all, so this time of year is a real shitter for him, and round where he's currently living as soon as it gets dark it's constant. He's got earplugs and earphones which helps but they don't block out everything, and it really affects his state of mind and sleep. I'm condsidering donning a fake firefighter's uniform and patrolling the streets around his place confiscating all the whizzbangs citing some spurious made up bylaw. 

NoSleep

It's always Fireworks Month around here.

I actually remember when fireworks were strictly for November the 5th. I think the thing that triggered its spread to other days before and after the 5th was the introduction of public events at local parks on the nearest convenient weekend (some time around the late 70s/early 80s), presumably to reduce the number of separate households that were increasing the risk of fire hazard. It just gave everyone the idea that it was OK to let off fireworks some other day.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

It's one of those things we absolutely wouldn't accept in anything other than large numbers. If letting off fireworks was a minority/crank pursuit, you could just call the police and get your neighbour arrested. Alas...

bomb_dog

We've had fireworks going off twice-eveningly for the last week.
Once usually around 7pm, causing me to both think 'why tonight?' and 'I'm a miserable bastard'.
Then again around 10pm, causing me to think 'why 10pm, it'll wake up the kids nearby causing untold annoyance to their parents', and 'I'm a miserable bastard'.

It should be 5th November, and that's it. Wouldn't it be great for everyone to set them off at 7pm, perhaps for an hour max? You could then all enjoy everyone else's displays at the same time, then put a lid on it.

Jockice

The park opposite my house (but blocked off by a 20-foot wall) usually has a Bonfire Night display, with the added noise, crowds of people tramping past my premises and it I'm very lucky, someone blocking off my parking space so I can't even escape it.  It's annoying but tolerable as an annual one-off. However I've just discovered that it has been extended to an entire weekend, and will be taking place not only tomorrow but tonight as well. The cat and I are of course ecstatic.

kittens

ooh too loud oh no i'm fwightened! ooh owww my poor ears it's soooo loud ahh i'm scared i just pissed my nappy

that is literally all of you

Attila

The noise and explosions doesn't bother me (it's hardwired into my American DNA to see things blowing up, rockets red glare up British backsides and all that*); it's when, for example, the school behind our neighbourhood does their fireworks fete/bonfire night (which is tonight), and the street us swamped with the usual school run twats descending on all of the surrounding streets and double & triple parking. You can't get in or out of our street for about 8 hours, and we have the added joy of clearing away all of their rubbish out of the front garden and off our cars the following morning.

*This remains my idea of what a fireworks display should look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVhgq1yHdA

DrGreggles

Scheduled for tonight in Cambridge, despite the 5th falling on a Sunday...

Please remember that, if you have any pets, they may be freaked out by the fireworks.
Another good way is to shine a torch in their face...

Sebastian Cobb

Was speaking to my old man earlier and he said he had to dash as he needed to go into town and get back before the council fenced off the park between his house and town so they could charge gullible people who lack the savvy to stand at the housing estate nearby and watch it for free a tenner to get in.

Once saw a fireworks night as my plane was getting ready to land in Birmingham. That was interesting. Fireworks don't look all that high up from a plane.

shiftwork2

As a former fireworks-fooler I find this evokes that indefensible reckless arseholery quite nicely.

Never fool with fireworks.  Look what it does to your music choices.

thraxx

Ima doing my fireworks next Saturday in the garden because that's when all the bairns and their parents are available.

Paul Calf

kalowski

Quote from: Pijlstaart on November 03, 2017, 09:15:47 PM
Traditional families too, always the men who do firework work, no firework women, unheard of.

I'm at the in-law's and by dint of being a bloke expected to set off some fireworks that had been bought. Did so, miserably.

Cuellar

Bloody hell a spell in the army would do you lot the world of good.

Ooh a distant loud noise how upsetting

Rocket Surgery

Just popped to the shops and overheard the following gem from an unlit alleyway:

"What's that one supposed t..." BANG "Fuckin' 'ell I didn't know it was gonna do that!!"

Tremendously reassuring.

batwings

Some absolute cunts in my street having a back garden fireworks display NOW.

Sebastian Cobb

People had been letting them off in the day this week. Fuck's the point in that?

ollyboro

Just the other day, I signed an online petition agreeing that fireworks should be limited to organised displays - yet they're still not fucking banned.  I hadn't signed a petition since the one about our library shutting. That did fuck all good as well. Fucking petitions. Fuck 'em.

Paul Calf

Yeah, we definitely need the law to get more involved in policing what people do with their leisure time. That sounds like a brilliant idea.

Attila

Magical moment last Sunday night when a dad on the street behind ours (ie about 100 feet from the bedroom window, since he was in his garden) decided to let off his supermarket whizz-bangs around 10.30-11pm, waking me out of a dead sleep (430 wake up call on Mondays this semester, for reasons). Couldn't shoot them all off at once -- two or three bangs...five minutes or so...then another handful...then 10 minutes...then another. For about an hour. Dickhead.

SpiderChrist

The fireworks in Ely are always held a week after the Cambridge one. Fuck knows why.

Still going off now near me. Shit for cunts I tell thee.

thraxx

Quote from: batwings on November 11, 2017, 07:34:46 PM
Some absolute cunts in my street having a back garden fireworks display NOW.

That may well have been cunt me and my cunt friends and their kids.