Author Topic: Haruki Murukami  (Read 2344 times)

BlodwynPig

• Throwing two dogs at a goblin
Re: Haruki Murukami
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 12:25:20 AM »
Bergerac next?

purlieu

• Woo-hoo, Lord Nimon!
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2019, 10:12:41 AM »
*Googles "Bergerac novelisations"*

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2019, 01:57:13 PM »
Do you lot tend to read Murakami books attempting to make sense of the symbolism?
I really like his books, but I find I just tend to enjoy the feeling of mystery they give me, but dont really try to intellectually analyse what the different motifs in there mean. Not sure if they even are intended to mean anything.

BlodwynPig

• Throwing two dogs at a goblin
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2019, 03:27:14 PM »
Same here. Let the books wash over me and fill me with feelings.

purlieu

• Woo-hoo, Lord Nimon!
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2019, 11:01:13 PM »
Do you lot tend to read Murakami books attempting to make sense of the symbolism?
I really like his books, but I find I just tend to enjoy the feeling of mystery they give me, but dont really try to intellectually analyse what the different motifs in there mean. Not sure if they even are intended to mean anything.
I tend to get a vague sense of what each book is 'about' - it's usually a very subtle 'sort it out you twat' towards the very complacent, passive narrator - but don't look much further than that. The themes tend to get me pondering in a vague way rather than wanting to analyse them, and although there are definitely some intended things there - the contrasting rain and desert metaphors in South of the Border spring to mind, as my most recently read - they're not the reason I read the books. The atmosphere, ambiguity, humour and weirdness are always the pull, and if I can take anything more then it's a nice bonus.