Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:50:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Started by MoonDust, November 04, 2017, 11:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoonDust

New film by Yiorgos Lanthimos, who has directed Dog Tooth, Alps and The Lobster, has a new film coming out called The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

Two trailers here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFdGfwChtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SzWAfsdZXY

Looks good. I like Lanthimos' films, so excited for this.

I think it's already out in cinemas. Wikipedia says it has a UK release date later this month, but googling cinema listings for it appears to show it's already out.

Will go see.

zomgmouse

Thought I started a thread for this but I guess I didn't get round to it. I saw it earlier in the year. It's phenomenal. Greek tragedy completely wrung inside out. It is loosely based on Iphigenia at Aulis, which I read before watching this and the ways it plays with this text and deviates from it (while namedropping it!) is pretty sensational. I loved it. Lanthimos has really honed the art of taking dramatic and slightly absurd scenarios and tweaking them to elicit laughter from the discomfort and incredulity. The acting has that slightly off-kilter feel to it, especially Colin Farrell, who truly excels, as does the creepy kid. Nicole Kidman is very Eyes Wide Shut in this, to the extent that I could swear one of her outfits was lifted straight out of that film. I was so gripped and not believing my eyes and ears the whole time. Overall I think I still prefer The Lobster and maybe also Dogtooth, but only just; this has definitely still stayed with me. Recommend it very very very highly.

Wet Blanket

Reminded me of Michael Haneke, especially Funny Games, but with better jokes. Somebody at my screening literally ran from the room during the climax.

It looked beautiful too, and I'm a sucker for sinister tracking shots down corridors.

Anyway loved it. Yorgos Lanthimos is rapidly becoming my favourite director. Not since David Lynch has anyone been so able to capture the uncanny on film.

greenman

Lanthimos showing what he thinks of people talking food into the cinema with that opening shot I suspect.

It did feel like more of a return to Dogtooth rather than the Lobster for me, there were was obviously still some comedy but less overt in favour of more unsettling family dysfunction. Visually as well it was obviously shot mostly indoors with those same striking but off kilter compositions plus more than a little Shining influence as well going down those hospital corridors.

I felt it was a little slow to get going but picked up greatly in intensity as it progressed to the degree I can definitely understand people who weren't ready for such a film walking out. Using the deliberately stilted dialog style might I spose be questionable for some, in his previous work(well I'v not seen Alps yet) there always seemed a reason for it with the warped family unit of Dogooth and the generally warped world of the Lobster but this did start off more in what could be considered normality. I spose you could argue that its really more Farrells character and Martin who talks in that fashion with Kidman and the rest being more normal until the pressure builds.

To get into spoilers...

It basically deconstructs the horror/thriller concept it sets up and rather than Kidman and the children showing the typical Hollywood selflessness they all shift into selfishness trying to save their own necks.

MoonDust

Where are you all seeing it? Doesn't seem to be out in the UK yet.

zomgmouse

Quote from: MoonDust on November 06, 2017, 08:53:23 PM

I saw it at the Melbourne International Film Festival a few months ago. Doesn't come out here till mid-November.

greenman

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 06, 2017, 09:02:11 AM
Anyway loved it. Yorgos Lanthimos is rapidly becoming my favourite director. Not since David Lynch has anyone been so able to capture the uncanny on film.

Lost Highway especially does kind of come to mind in terms of atmosphere and general bleakness.

What does stand out for me is how "british" he feels compared to a lot of unsettling arthouse fare, I spose you could argue Greece being a closer match for the UK than either the US or France socially in middle class uptightness.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: MoonDust on November 06, 2017, 08:53:23 PM

It came out last Friday, but it's a 'limited release'. Mother! looks like it got this year's slot for the antagonist art-film inexplicably getting a wide release. Thought this was the much better film though. 

Mini

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 07, 2017, 08:35:52 AM
It came out last Friday, but it's a 'limited release'. Mother! looks like it got this year's slot for the antagonist art-film inexplicably getting a wide release. Thought this was the much better film though.

So much better. Lanthimos has such a unique and weird point of view, and it's great to see a film where you have no idea what's going to happen next, because it's so unlike other films. I loved it - long may he continue to freak me out.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Mini on November 07, 2017, 02:20:30 PM
it's great to see a film where you have no idea what's going to happen next

This was especially true for me as I'd read the original Greek play and thought I'd known where it was headed until it just fucked it off for some shocking goodness.

MoonDust

Oh excellent, it's playing at HOME Cinema in Manchester until next Monday. I am massively skint at the moment and can't afford to pay for things I don't need but..... really want to see it.

Priorities eh. I'll deal with my mistake after..

MoonDust

And talking of Lanthamos, Dogtooth is on Film 4 at 1:55 in the morning. As far as I can see All4 doesn't appear to show whatever's on Film 4 on catch up, so I'm tempted to go to bed now and wake up in a couple of hours in time for it. It's been so long since I've seen it.

MoonDust

Shit, also having just read up about the actors in Dogtooth, Mary Tsoni who plays the younger sister died in May this year!

She was only 30. Pulmonary edema apparently.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: MoonDust on November 07, 2017, 08:43:19 PM
And talking of Lanthamos, Dogtooth is on Film 4 at 1:55 in the morning. As far as I can see All4 doesn't appear to show whatever's on Film 4 on catch up, so I'm tempted to go to bed now and wake up in a couple of hours in time for it. It's been so long since I've seen it.

Thanks for the heads up. Been wanting to watch this for ages

MoonDust

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on November 07, 2017, 08:56:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Been wanting to watch this for ages

If you like dark and disturbing you won't be disappointed. There are some darkly humorous bits in it, but not as humorous as The Lobster at all.

If I come back from Sacred Deer and find it's more similar to the Lobster in terms of tone, then I might start to suspect Lanthamos has toned down for English-language films, because Dogtooth and Alps (both Greek-language films) are bizarre as fuck, and very dark.

zomgmouse

Quote from: MoonDust on November 07, 2017, 09:01:57 PM
If I come back from Sacred Deer and find it's more similar to the Lobster in terms of tone, then I might start to suspect Lanthamos has toned down for English-language films, because Dogtooth and Alps (both Greek-language films) are bizarre as fuck, and very dark.

It really isn't, be reassured. It veers a little that way towards the start but then goes totally horrific afterwards, more a slow burn if anything.

greenman

I'm guessing that it getting a bit of a mixed response critically might be down to reviewers expecting a repeat of The Lobster and getting something bleaker and darker in what humour it has.

Perhaps that was deliberate as he's got period film The Favourite coming out next year thats been written by outsiders rather than by him and  Filippou and is I'd guess likely to be rather more conventional.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: MoonDust on November 07, 2017, 09:01:57 PMIf I come back from Sacred Deer and find it's more similar to the Lobster in terms of tone, then I might start to suspect Lanthamos has toned down for English-language films, because Dogtooth and Alps (both Greek-language films) are bizarre as fuck, and very dark.

The opening shot alone should reassure you that he hasn't lost his nerve.

Has anyone seen his earliest films, My Best Friend and Kinetta? I don't think the first one has ever been released in Britain

MoonDust

I went to bed early, my alarm woke me up at 1:30am so I had time to get up and ready for Dogtooth at 1:55, but instead when I woke up by the alarm I thought "nah, fuck this" and went back to sleep.

Regretting it now, as my suspicions were correct: it's not on All4 Catch up :(

Sin Agog

Quote from: MoonDust on November 07, 2017, 08:51:48 PM
She was only 30. Pulmonary edema apparently.

Or perhaps a vengeful curse?

MoonDust

Just come back from watching this. Bloody loved it, but it's so dark.

Did anyone else notice pretty much every scene had the word "exit" in shot? Did that mean something?

Twit 2

MoonDust

Whatevs.

Also, the soundtrack was brill. But in particular, does anyone know the piece that's playing in the final scene?

Edit: Found it. It's the opening to Bach's St. John's Passion.

MoonDust

Anyway, how was the audiences in the cinemas you went to? The cinema last night was about half full, and as soon as the credits rolled pretty much everyone immediately started chatting about the film. Never seen that before in a cinema. There appeared to be mixed reviews though. Some saying they didn't like it, some saying it was brilliant.

One guy about 3 rows ahead of shouted "fuck that!" at the screen as soon as the credits rolled.

lipsink

This reminded me a bit of Kubrick's The Shining with a lot of the ominous soundtrack/ sudden jabs of strings combined with creepy camera zoom ins.

What was the whole emphasis on him having beautiful hands?

Also, anyone notice that when the daughter took off her clothes in front of Martin, she then lay down on the bed in the exact same way her mother did in that earlier sex scene.

When Martin was speaking with Colin Farrell's character he says: "My father said it's important to have good friends rather than lots of friends". Then later when Farrell is speaking to his son who has just cut his own hair he tells him he has 3 best friends. Farrell says: "It's important to have lots of friends".

Sin Agog

Quote from: MoonDust on November 10, 2017, 11:02:41 AM
Anyway, how was the audiences in the cinemas you went to? The cinema last night was about half full, and as soon as the credits rolled pretty much everyone immediately started chatting about the film. Never seen that before in a cinema. There appeared to be mixed reviews though. Some saying they didn't like it, some saying it was brilliant.

One guy about 3 rows ahead of shouted "fuck that!" at the screen as soon as the credits rolled.

I really dug it, but I hate those lobby conversations so very much.  When a movie ends on an ambiguous note, or has just put the audience through the wringer, some people will invariably loudly shit on the film just so they and their friends can comfortably get on with their lives on the walk to the car, instead of lurching towards the car park in pregnant silence.  After Sacred Deer I tried to avoid that so hard that I actually walked straight into a step and fell down flat.  Couldn't have been choreographed better in a silent slapstick.  So I was the one ruining the ambience for everyone else that time.

Wet Blanket

Stunned silence from about a 2/3 full auditorium, but that woman did run away during *that* scene towards the end.

MoonDust

A surprising amount were laughing at bits. Some were awkward laughs admittedly. That scene at the end had a fair few people laughing surprisingly. Maybe it was the farce of it, rather than the darkness of it.

greenman

Quote from: MoonDust on November 10, 2017, 08:54:59 PM
A surprising amount were laughing at bits. Some were awkward laughs admittedly. That scene at the end had a fair few people laughing surprisingly. Maybe it was the farce of it, rather than the darkness of it.

The vast majority in the showing I went to clearly knew what they were in for but I'd imagine the film may well set a record for walk outs.

I'd say the farce and tragedy in his work tend to go hand in hand, each playing up the other, that scene with the biscuit woman trying to commit suicide in the Lobster as Farrell looks to impress the heartless woman with his cold disinterest comes to mind.