Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:44:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

XFM Manchester

Started by splattermac, January 08, 2005, 05:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splattermac

QuoteXfm Manchester

Following on from our Restricted Service Licence broadcast back in August 2004, Xfm can confirm that we will apply for the new analogue radio licence for greater Manchester.

With a musical heritage second to none it's about time Manchester got the radio sation it deserves. Xfm currently plays a slew of bands whose influences can be traced back to the likes of The Smiths and Joy Division, Stone Roses and Happy Mondays as well as current big hitters Oasis, Elbow and Badly Drawn Boy and new comers Nine Black Alps. And this is only the tip of an iceberg that stretches back to the Buzzcocks and forward to The Earlies.

Following initial local research and August's successful restricted service licence, Xfm will apply for the new analogue radio licence for greater Manchester.  Focusing on local talent and the best in new music, Xfm aim to bring the area's music lovers an exciting and vibrant new analogue station that reflects the city's dynamic music scene.

Xfm have already brought the best in new music to London and we aim to do the same for Manchester using detailed listener feedback to create the right station to suit local tastes and needs.

If you'd like to leave a message of support for Xfm's bid, please use the form at the bottom of the page or text "Manchester needs Xfm because..." to 83XFM.

+

Night & Day Cafe are proud to announce:
Xfm X-posure North  at Night&Day

Xfm are starting a regular gig night in Manchester. The launch is on Friday January 28, 2005, and is headlined by Stoke's brilliant Agent Blue, with support from Alterkicks (Leeds), The Children (Manchester), and Xavier Floyd Firebird (London), with Xfm's John Kennedy playing the latest indie anthems throughout the night.  This is a co-promotion with the regular Club Fandango that we run. Tickets are £5 on sale now from ticketline.co.uk and on 0161 832 1111.

The following month, on Monday February 14,  we have new Manchester heroes Nine Black Alps playing a Valentines Day spectacular, with very special guests to be announced next week, plus John Kennedy. Tickets are on sale now and are expected to sell out pretty quickly.  Visit ticketline.co.uk or ring 0161 832 1111 to guarantee entry.

well, I was looking to find out if I could tune into Kennedy's new music show having googled a few new artists I like and seen xfm pop up. Turns out Manchester is getting its own XFM at some point :)

As for the gig at the Night and Day, I love that place so i'm looking forward to a couple of pints in there to the 'latest indie anthems' :/ , heh not really, no but I will go and check it out. Young indie ladies always smile at a grizzly old dog like me when I start talking bollocks to them.

Now London whores tell me about XFM, is it full of ads and do they play anything other than young man guitar music because I'd like to hear more of the electronic scene?

Mohammed Steel

Apart from John Kennedy who you have already mentioned Xfm is not really on the cutting edge of new bands, unless you count razorlight in that bracket!
Xfm in London has just become another branch of the crappy kind of music radio journalism for those people who like to drink starbucks, get a copy of the NME and talk about how good bands like The Killers are.

I do not mean to be so down on this point, but Xfm really had the chance to push new music in london.  Instead all we get is the bloody'X' list everyday where people ring in and request the stone roses over and over again.  There is nothing wrong with this of course, the roses were a fantastic band, but it is hardly opening up the masses to new music is it?

I fear that now John Peel is gone, who will be playing us the new music we need?

splattermac

hmm, I hope it doesn't become a swaggering parker wearing manc station constantly in search of the latest Oasis/Roses influenced/soundalike bands.

I'll still have a listen, there has to be at least one DJ playing a few tunes I like.

Here's hoping they recruit a few local guys to give the place a homely feel and not just relocate a few non manc djs who fancied the move. I don't really want to listen to them finding their feet.  Having said that I want someone from overseas as well, either French, Japanese or Canadian, i'd even settle for an Australian.

Lewis

Quote from: "splattermac"Turns out Manchester is getting its own XFM at some point :)

Possibly. The Manchester licence is likely to be a big earner for whoever gets it therefore theres some strong competition for the licence. Bids so far:

Emap - Kerrang! (Rock)
GWR - Storm (Alternative)
Wireless group - AllTalk FM (Talk)
Guardian Media Group - Channel M Radio (News & Talk)
Capital Radio - XFM (Alternative)
Ulster Television - Go FM (alternative)

I expect a few more will apply for the licence in the next few months too.

Jet Set Willy

During the daytime I'd say it's of similar quality to Radio 1, but plays a different kind of crap (they probably play more good songs but the adverts are annoying).
At night it's decent, and at weekends its pretty good.

chand

Quote from: "splattermac"hmm, I hope it doesn't become a swaggering parker wearing manc station constantly in search of the latest Oasis/Roses influenced/soundalike bands.

I'm amazed by how many of those we still have, I've been to talent shows watching mates' bands and every fucking night there's at least one band partying like it's 1995. I saw one lot with a female singer decked out in adidas gear, they sounded a bit like the Happy Mondays and she looked that Harry Enfield sketch where Perry turns up at Kevin's house all Liam Gallagher-ed up after seeing Oasis.

Also, the Night & Day is too fucking hot.

Mohammed Steel

Quote from: "Jet Set Willy"During the daytime I'd say it's of similar quality to Radio 1, but plays a different kind of crap (they probably play more good songs but the adverts are annoying).
At night it's decent, and at weekends its pretty good.

Yep Your right it is better during the evening, with Mr kennedy and his show, lets face it anything is better than that arse biscuit Zane Lowe Waffling on about the Strokes every bloody night.  

What do people think about bbc 6 music, again I have been disapointed with its lack of variety.

BetaKarraTene

Yes, XFM is a bit of a let-down during the day. The problem is that their playlist looks very good but they only play the most popular tracks on it during the day and they only play new bands when they become sufficiently popular.

Saying that, they've got Adam And Joe on Saturday afternoons, and Jon Kennedy is probably the best music radio presenter in the UK. He has complete free reign over what he plays (which covers a big range) and he's hugely enthusiastic without being irritating like Zane Lowe. Claire Sturgess is another good 'un

spattermac, I'd definitely recommend the headliners at both gigs plus New Rhodes on the launch night, although Nine Black Alps are probably the most inappropriate headliners possible for Valentines Day.

Jet Set Willy

I was just having a shave listening to 6music and Green Day came on. I hate Green Day so I turned over to XFM. They had started playing the same song at almost exactly the same moment, it was about 2 seconds behind. I figured i must've just pressed the wrong button, but no, it was playing on both stations! This annoyed me rather, where is the 'John Peel station' that doesn't play things like Green Day, and does play electronic music alongside good guitarry stuff?

TraceyQ

Quote from: "Jet Set Willy"..... where is the 'John Peel station' that doesn't play things like Green Day, and does play electronic music alongside good guitarry stuff?

*cough*

I must admit I do like The Storm and 6music during weekdays is pretty ace.  XFM, however, leaves me cold, it's just radio one with swearing. Kerrang! = a bit crap but good to listen to in the car.