Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:48:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hard to find comedy and let's find it why don't we?

Started by JoeyBananaduck, November 08, 2017, 04:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyBananaduck

Hello.

Well I wanted to post this in the existing Sadowitz thread but I couldn't find it on my search engine and the search facility doesn't work on here, so what I thought was why not make a new thread but make it something useful. An overriding 'where's that' thread where we can help out rather than just a JBD is looking for that thing.

Here's at least one thing lots of us seem to be looking for:

Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster (C4, documentary, early 2000s?)*

What I'm looking for is that one-off Jerry Sadowitz thing about the history of profanity that I used to have a copy of. I believe it was called:

The Greatest F*!(@ing Show On Earth*

Of course things that are commercially available for money would be off-limits, but I do wonder if any of you folk have what I'm looking for - and I do marvel that we can't find this bloody Freddie Starr doc. It wasn't even that long ago and was quite a talking point among comedy fans for a while. It must be out there.

Anyway, if you think it apropos, feel free to add your own Lost Shows/Specials and maybe we'll fill in a few blanks for each other. That's the idea anyway.

Enrico Palazzo

I check every year to see if Bakersfield P.D. has been released on DVD but naw. Cop comedy with Brian Doyle-Murray and Giancarlo Esposito. Thought it was fantastic when I was 14/15. Subtle humour and no laugh track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield_P.D.

Twed

Good quality copies of Rich Hall's Fishing Show, please.

It's never going to get release on DVD, so all I can do is hope that the torrented copy I had around 2006 becomes available again...

weekender

Quote from: Twed on November 08, 2017, 05:18:06 PM
Good quality copies of Rich Hall's Fishing Show, please.

It's never going to get release on DVD, so all I can do is hope that the torrented copy I had around 2006 becomes available again...

I can't help with 'good' quality copies of this, I'm afraid.

What I might be able to do is upload the versions I have, which I suspect may be the torrent versions you refer to from 2006, but I would describe them as average versions with not great screen-cropping.  They're watchable enough though.

I think it would be against the rules of the board to post a direct link so I've tried to upload them and sent you a PM with the link.  If it works, could you post in this thread/PM me please?

Then if anyone else wants the link they can just PM me, if that's alright with everyone and doesn't contravene forum rules?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on November 08, 2017, 04:54:44 PM
I check every year to see if Bakersfield P.D. has been released on DVD but naw. Cop comedy with Brian Doyle-Murray and Giancarlo Esposito. Thought it was fantastic when I was 14/15. Subtle humour and no laugh track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield_P.D.

Quite a few episodes are up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ethYwTwWjc&list=PLEliMoNe51sPaeIBh3dwllPcPJwX-rWwk

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on November 08, 2017, 04:13:47 PM
Here's at least one thing lots of us seem to be looking for:

Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster (C4, documentary, early 2000s?)*

Sorry, but, genuine question - why?

I watched it when it was on and remember it reasonably well and it wasn't anything at all special.  Even worse if you didn't like Starr.

Why are CaBbers so desperate to get their hands on it?  First I've seen it mentioned...

Glebe

The sound on the Hi-De-Hi! episode of Comedy Connections that's up on YouTube is really badly out of sync. Anyone got a proper copy of that?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 08, 2017, 11:11:23 PM
Sorry, but, genuine question - why?

I watched it when it was on and remember it reasonably well and it wasn't anything at all special.  Even worse if you didn't like Starr.

Why are CaBbers so desperate to get their hands on it?  First I've seen it mentioned...

Nobody here is desperate to get their hands on it but it was a fascinating tipping point documentary of the last remanent of old-school comedians floundering in a new world of millennial TV. 

Similarly, are all those BBC2 The Entertainers 2002 docs available online? Fuck, I'd love to watch them again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2002/10_october/11/the_entertainers.shtml

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 08, 2017, 11:35:03 PM
Nobody here is desperate to get their hands on it but it was a fascinating tipping point documentary of the last remanent of old-school comedians floundering in a new world of millennial TV. 

I see.

...sorry to say I didn't find it to be that fascinating...

Bobtoo

I might have the swearing thing, I managed to download a torrent of JS stuff and that might have been in it.

magval

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on November 08, 2017, 04:13:47 PM
What I'm looking for is that one-off Jerry Sadowitz thing about the history of profanity that I used to have a copy of. I believe it was called:

The Greatest F*!(@ing Show On Earth*

I've got that somewhere, it was kindly sent to me on DVD by another CAB member years ago.  I'll see whether I can dig it out.

Glebe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 08, 2017, 11:35:03 PMNobody here is desperate to get their hands on it but it was a fascinating tipping point documentary of the last remanent of old-school comedians floundering in a new world of millennial TV. 

Similarly, are all those BBC2 The Entertainers 2002 docs available online? Fuck, I'd love to watch them again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2002/10_october/11/the_entertainers.shtml

Dunno if I've seen that, but, for those of you who may not be aware, here's a couple of docs up on YouTube that  may be of interest:

Who Killed Saturday Night TV?

The Story of Light Entertainment: Double Acts.

Malcy

The McGlashan spin-off pilot from Absolutely. Nowhere to be seen...

Brundle-Fly

BBC's Kelly Monteith show.  Only one episode of the two series on YouTube. Loved him as a kid; he was the first American observational comic I was aware of. This format was quite ahead of its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6HAO2wl3ws

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on November 09, 2017, 12:56:44 PM
I've got that somewhere, it was kindly sent to me on DVD by another CAB member years ago.  I'll see whether I can dig it out.

Cheers for that!

I also second 'The Entertainers' documentaries that Brundle-Fly mentioned. I seem to remember them being quite revelatory, as the era of light entertainment was well and truly over by then and the participants were all too aware of it.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Malcy on November 09, 2017, 07:55:10 PM

Didn't even know that existed!

Was Gordon Kennedy's agent character in it? I always found him to be fucking hilarious.

Autopsy Turvey

The Unfair Quiz, a proto-Shooting Stars Radio 2 panel game circa 1988 where John Junkin asked stupid questions like "What is the chemical symbol for spaghetti bolognese?". Arthur Smith was a team captain, guests included Colin Baker and a cuddly blue elephant belonging to Lucy Edis, who went on to be the Fist Of Fun girl.

Malcy

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 10, 2017, 09:16:22 AM
Didn't even know that existed!

Was Gordon Kennedy's agent character in it? I always found him to be fucking hilarious.

From Wiki -

QuoteIn 1995, a pilot was shown on BBC2 for a series called Mac, a sitcom based around MacGlashan and his long-suffering brother Finley (played by Gordon Kennedy). Finley ran a small shop selling the sort of stereotypical Scottish kitsch for tourists that inflamed Mac's senses, his assistant Aileen (played by Elaine Collins of City Lights) acted as Mac's love interest, while Nick Hancock played his Londoner love rival Van Webster.

gib

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 09, 2017, 09:13:03 PM
BBC's Kelly Monteith show.  Only one episode of the two series on YouTube. Loved him as a kid; he was the first American observational comic I was aware of. This format was quite ahead of its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6HAO2wl3ws

That took me back, thanks for posting.

magval

Anyone have Florence and Connell's The Sunny pilot? Was broadcast on BBC a few years ago but the death of thebox.bz means we don't have a good place to keep stuff like this available

Malcy

Quote from: magval on November 12, 2017, 12:12:45 AM
Anyone have Florence and Connell's The Sunny pilot? Was broadcast on BBC a few years ago but the death of thebox.bz means we don't have a good place to keep stuff like this available

Yeah I've seen requests for that on here a few times. I remember it being a big disappointment at the time but wouldn't mind seeing it again.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Malcy on November 09, 2017, 07:55:10 PM

God yeah, I've been after that for ages. I have vague memories of someone who only traded, never shared, back in the soulseek days in the CaB room saying they had it on tape but have never come close to sourcing a copy. Wasn't it only shown on BBC Scotland too?

Would love to see Bob and Davids effort at an HBO sitcom too, David's Situation. But they were unhappy with how it turned out and the pilot never aired so I doubt that will come to light,  I think a short clip of it was released but that was it.

Malcy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 12, 2017, 03:00:02 PM
God yeah, I've been after that for ages. I have vague memories of someone who only traded, never shared, back in the soulseek days in the CaB room saying they had it on tape but have never come close to sourcing a copy. Wasn't it only shown on BBC Scotland too?

BBC2 I think. I've also tried to find all of the Barry Welsh shows. I have 2 on VHS but think I've lost one. They were the official compilation releases but I'm going to order them on DVD anyway.

I have the majority of the Absolutely cast's work including all of their own radio shows dating back to the early 80's and their productions under their Absolutely Productions company but there's still the few things eluding me.

Does anyone know where I can find Naked Video/Pulp Video? I saw the first series in a second hand shop but it was gone the next day when I went back for it.

This thread has prompted me to search Youtube looking for Reeve's and Mortimer's Driving school which I had on VHS 15 years ago but lost. It was a fucking obscure Vic and Bob gem.

Well whaddya know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyLkGW2G-uQ

"Can I just introduce myself? My name is Peter Maranello Gordino Marmalade, pop star and Advocaat drinker, I know you young people like that kind of thing"

"I wrote this song for you, whilst painting a mortuary in Bolton"