Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:33:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hard to find comedy and let's find it why don't we?

Started by JoeyBananaduck, November 08, 2017, 04:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Malcy on November 12, 2017, 07:40:06 PM
BBC2 I think. I've also tried to find all of the Barry Welsh shows. I have 2 on VHS but think I've lost one. They were the official compilation releases but I'm going to order them on DVD anyway.

I have the majority of the Absolutely cast's work including all of their own radio shows dating back to the early 80's and their productions under their Absolutely Productions company but there's still the few things eluding me.

Does anyone know where I can find Naked Video/Pulp Video? I saw the first series in a second hand shop but it was gone the next day when I went back for it.

Hehe I live in Wales so saw all of Barry Welsh but didn't bother recording any of it until the final series. I think I have 2 eps of that and a few of the specials, a few epsiodes of Pub Quiz, which I think was on a Welsh digital station so I'm not holding out hope of finding any more of them.  I have one epsiode of Squawkie Talkie which wasnt great but I'd love to see the rest.

Malcy

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on November 12, 2017, 07:52:20 PM
This thread has prompted me to search Youtube looking for Reeve's and Mortimer's Driving school which I had on VHS 15 years ago but lost. It was a fucking obscure Vic and Bob gem.

Well whaddya know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyLkGW2G-uQ

"Can I just introduce myself? My name is Peter Maranello Gordino Marmalade, pop star and Advocaat drinker, I know you young people like that kind of thing"

"I wrote this song for you, whilst painting a mortuary in Bolton"

There seems to be quite a few Vic & Bob rarities ripped from VHS on YouTube. I watched driving school on there a while back and lived it and from there I found a few other things including ropey footage of the early stage days.

BeardFaceMan

Forgot to say too, I have the first series of Naked Video and the 2 compilation videos, I'll up them to youtube if they're not there. Got some Naked Radio too.

Malcy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 12, 2017, 09:37:00 PM
Forgot to say too, I have the first series of Naked Video and the 2 compilation videos, I'll up them to youtube if they're not there. Got some Naked Radio too.

Oh they would all be great thanks. The versions i found on youtube were not the best quality and were sped up so everyone seemed high pitch. I did the same with City Lights for a few episodes before realising. I wondered why Gerard Kelly was talking in such a squeaky voice...

zomgmouse

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on November 10, 2017, 09:40:45 AM
The Unfair Quiz, a proto-Shooting Stars Radio 2 panel game circa 1988 where John Junkin asked stupid questions like "What is the chemical symbol for spaghetti bolognese?". Arthur Smith was a team captain, guests included Colin Baker and a cuddly blue elephant belonging to Lucy Edis, who went on to be the Fist Of Fun girl.

I would love to hear this!

BeardFaceMan

Series 1 and 2 compilation videos of Naked Video, heres the first ep, all the rest are in a playlist. I've upped all my Barry Welsh/Frank Hovis stuff too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf0bSU4nW1I&index=1&list=PL8u911NVTJAOhL9dP85N7eeGpqJEDA6iU

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: zomgmouse on November 13, 2017, 06:36:22 AM
I would love to hear this!

I have the two Colin Baker episodes taped off-air, I shall look forward to uploading them as soon as I've obtained the requisite technology! I listened to them a lot circa 1988-93 so the ribbon might be dangerously thin. I remember Colin was introduced as "The man who put the word 'lev' in television. Don't try to work it out, it doesn't mean anything."

Other favourite questions: "Using the chemical symbols for uranium, boron and mercury, can you make a rude word?" and "Can you explain Wincey Willis?"

Malcy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 13, 2017, 08:52:29 AM
Series 1 and 2 compilation videos of Naked Video, heres the first ep, all the rest are in a playlist. I've upped all my Barry Welsh/Frank Hovis stuff too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf0bSU4nW1I&index=1&list=PL8u911NVTJAOhL9dP85N7eeGpqJEDA6iU

Superb, cheers.

Shit Good Nose

BBC2 I think. I've also tried to find all of the Barry Welsh shows. I have 2 on VHS but think I've lost one. They were the official compilation releases but I'm going to order them on DVD anyway.

I have the majority of the Absolutely cast's work including all of their own radio shows dating back to the early 80's and their productions under their Absolutely Productions company but there's still the few things eluding me.

Yes, Mac was definitely on main BBC2 - I had it on video (taped off telly, obvs) for years, until the tape fucked. 

The entirety of Barry Welsh WAS on YouTube until as recently as last year - I watched the whole lot.  Stupidly, though, I didn't rip them and they soon disappeared.  I think a few of them are still knocking around on Vimeo and/or Daily Motion.

One that I'd like to find, that I've mentioned on CaB before, but sadly don't have many details beyond childhood memories - shown on BBC2 in the daytime in the mid 80s.  Looked like it was made in the early 80s or late 70s.  It was a spoof science show from one of the Scandinavian countries, and the comical narration was just directly translated into English.  It was NOT a serious science show given comedy narration, the visuals were clearly comedy as well.  Also, I am definitely not getting confused with Look Around You, as I remember seeing this when I was off school for a couple of weeks with mumps when I was 6 or 7.  Don't remember much else, but there were two scientists/presenters featured - one with dark hair and clean shaven, the other blond with a 'tache.  They both wore woolly jumpers. 

Given my dad also found it funny, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a show specifically for kids (or, if it was, it also had the adults in mind, a la Horrible Histories), and I reckon it would probs be just as good seen now.

If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, I would love to know more about it and see it again.

Mark X

Weren't there a few Callum Gilhooley sketches filmed and shown for C5's The Jack Docherty Show, from the era when the viewers had pretty much given up on it. I dimly remember flipping past C5 one even and catching the tail end of one, anyway.

Malcy

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 13, 2017, 02:09:10 PM
Yes, Mac was definitely on main BBC2 - I had it on video (taped off telly, obvs) for years, until the tape fucked. 

The entirety of Barry Welsh WAS on YouTube until as recently as last year - I watched the whole lot.  Stupidly, though, I didn't rip them and they soon disappeared.  I think a few of them are still knocking around on Vimeo and/or Daily Motion.

Ah that's a shame. Was it any good?

Quote from: Mark X on November 13, 2017, 09:55:09 PM
Weren't there a few Callum Gilhooley sketches filmed and shown for C5's The Jack Docherty Show, from the era when the viewers had pretty much given up on it. I dimly remember flipping past C5 one even and catching the tail end of one, anyway.

I don't remember him being on it. And can't see Moray Hunter credited for the show anywhere.

Malcy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 13, 2017, 08:52:29 AM

Found this earlier. Barry Welsh's History Of Wales

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mDDSbSLu64

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Mark X on November 13, 2017, 09:55:09 PM

As one of the very very (VERY) few people who watched the JD Show in its entirety (even the ones after Jack fucked off cos he thought the whole thing had got beyond ridiculous) - no.  Moray was never a guest, never featured in character, nor involved with the show.  I seem to remember Callum was featured in a few ads for something for a short time, and it may have been around, or just before, the time the JD show started, so it could be those you're remembering. 

Quote from: Malcy on November 13, 2017, 10:14:30 PM
Ah that's a shame. Was it any good?

Yes.  If you liked the character.

Mr Banlon

Little Armadillos: Co-written by Peter Richens of Comic Strip fame.
Starring Steve Steen and Jim Sweeney as two Kray-esque brothers. Also featuring the Oblivion Boys, Daniel Peacock and Helen Lederer.
Only one episode and a couple of clips up on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJBBvDTGxEU

zomgmouse

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on November 13, 2017, 09:52:14 AM
I have the two Colin Baker episodes taped off-air, I shall look forward to uploading them as soon as I've obtained the requisite technology! I listened to them a lot circa 1988-93 so the ribbon might be dangerously thin. I remember Colin was introduced as "The man who put the word 'lev' in television. Don't try to work it out, it doesn't mean anything."

Other favourite questions: "Using the chemical symbols for uranium, boron and mercury, can you make a rude word?" and "Can you explain Wincey Willis?"

How exciting! Looking forward to hearing these when they're done!

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: zomgmouse on November 14, 2017, 03:57:16 AM
How exciting! Looking forward to hearing these when they're done!

Inspired solely by your enthusiasm, I've done it! Both episodes are up, using two different sourcing hosts or whatever they're called. Not at all happy with the two brief pictures and watermark for episode 5, but very happy with the picture for episode 6, bless it:

https://youtu.be/3DRCwjKgBMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWeBpzHv9M

j_u_d_a_s

Always wanted to see more of Dream Stuffing, Channel 4's right on sitcom from the mid 80s. Only one episode is up on that there youtube. Not an especially great show but an interesting curio of the time. Worth watching purely for the excellent Kirsty McColl theme tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVi0grApk58

Off the top of my head, I'd love to see Jackson Pace. A CITV show with some serious comedy chops and talent. Written by and starring Keith Allen and Daniel Peacock with Josie Lawrence and Arthur Smith in supporting roles. What I vaguely remember is how near the knuckle it was for a kids show, like a lost Comic Strip proposal toned down ever so slightly for the kids.

Speaking of Daniel Peacock, I'd love to see a DVD release of Teenage Health Freak rather than the 12th generation VHS copies doing the rounds.

Bennett Brauer

I see Barry Welsh is Coming is £15.99 on Amazon now. Two or three years ago the cheapest was around £100!

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on November 15, 2017, 09:53:24 PM
Always wanted to see more of Dream Stuffing, Channel 4's right on sitcom from the mid 80s. Only one episode is up on that there youtube. Not an especially great show but an interesting curio of the time. Worth watching purely for the excellent Kirsty McColl theme tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVi0grApk58

Does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8IHZFxajBs&list=PLBWM9yT53T3Z9zh2OW0ITbGnuRuWSvUM9 work in the UK?

Malcy

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on November 15, 2017, 11:07:24 PM
I see Barry Welsh is Coming is £15.99 on Amazon now. Two or three years ago the cheapest was around £100!

Crikey it was less than a tenner earlier this year!

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Malcy on November 15, 2017, 11:56:08 PM
Crikey it was less than a tenner earlier this year!

I remember telling my wife that if I suddenly drop dead from laughing at The Goodies, don't give the Barry Welsh DVD away for nothing. It's obviously all bollocks though - all it takes is one person on Amazon/eBay to chance their arm putting a silly price on something that's out of print and others will follow suit.

itsfredtitmus

apart from the bits on youtube I'll probably never see any of Big Jim and the Figaro Club

zomgmouse

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on November 15, 2017, 07:33:08 PM
Inspired solely by your enthusiasm, I've done it! Both episodes are up, using two different sourcing hosts or whatever they're called. Not at all happy with the two brief pictures and watermark for episode 5, but very happy with the picture for episode 6, bless it:

https://youtu.be/3DRCwjKgBMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWeBpzHv9M

Thank you for uploading these! Would karma if I could. They were great fun to listen to. Wish there were more.

Autopsy Turvey

Glad you enjoyed it! Yeah there's a jolly, silly, cheap and cheerful atmosphere to them, and Arthur Smith was clearly good value early on (I always loved his sequel to Gone With The Wind: Departed When She Farted, and his description of John Junkin as a "horrible horrible balding roué"). Previous episodes had featured more standard Celebrity Squares fodder like Bill Pertwee, Liza Goddard and Jeffrey Holland, and I clearly liked them enough to start taping it, but I love the proto-tub of lard 'cuddly elephant' conceit in these eps, as it means we get to hear more of Arthur.

I quite seriously wonder if these are the only recordings of The Unfair Quiz that still exist. Just wish I'd put Dobly on it.

kidsick5000

There's an episode of Shooting Stars that appears to have gone missing.
I only know this because it contains my favourite moment where Vic inflates Bob's head with a fire extinguisher.
Series 3 Episode 7 it was. (worked out through process of deduction).

Malcy

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 16, 2017, 07:52:43 PM
I only know this because it contains my favourite moment where Vic inflates Bob's head with a fire extinguisher.

I'll be downloading a complete torrent of the show at the weekend. Will let you know if it's included or not.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 16, 2017, 07:52:43 PM

Is that the one with Lisa Stansfield? I can upload that later.

kidsick5000

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 16, 2017, 08:16:52 PM
Is that the one with Lisa Stansfield? I can upload that later.

It is. At least I hope it is.
You are a true friend of humanity

BeardFaceMan

Hehe well shit, I uploaded it to Youtube and it was taken down with 5 minutes. I'll up it to dropbox or something and PM you the link.

sheddyian

I have fond memories of Channel 4 1980's comedy sketch shows "Coming Next" and "Pushing up Daisies".  Had Chris Barrie, Hale and Pace, Carla Mendonça, though my memory of the series is vague.  Haven't seen any of these for years.

One series had the whole of the final episode in black and white, possibly set in the 1950's / 60's?  Had old TV cameras with 3 rotating lenses in shot for atmosphere. 

It felt like a TV version of Son of Cliche, and that's how my young mind interpreted it at the time, but in reality I've no idea who the writers were.  Just that I knew who Chris Barrie was.  (This was several years pre-Red Dwarf I think).

I would love to see these again.

Ian