Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,205
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:18:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When did you get completely sick to death of comic book movies?

Started by JoeyBananaduck, November 10, 2017, 09:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyBananaduck

Or have you yet? I was never really onboard at all to be honest. Didn't like the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy at all. First one bored me shitless, second one, I thought Heath Ledger was dreadful and didn't embody any established character trait of the Joker whatsoever, 3rd one was reasonable but an hour too long and hampered by Bale's laughable performance.

The Avengers - Christ, I honestly can't think of anything in all of cinema that has left me more baffled by its popularity. There's essentially no story. The performances are awful. Loathed Robert Downey Jr's smug and obnoxious Iron Man. Josh Whedon's 'snappy' dialogue was deeply irritating and unfunny.

I watched both Guardians of The Galaxy films. OK at best. But 'not as bad as...' doesn't equate to good.

I can't believe this is what puts bums in seats now. Adult bums. People in their 20s to 40s getting hyped up for Iron Man 7 or whatever the hell. And I say this as a man in his 30s who reads comic books. The quality of scriptwriting and acting is just so poor. The only comic based film I've enjoyed in the last 10 years was Dredd, I think. Go figure it never got a sequel.

Anyway, how about you?

Cuellar

phantom_power

If they are good I still love 'em. Thor 3 was a blast and really looking forward to Black Panther as well, and Avengers 3 & 4

DC films can fuck off though, until they stop being dreary shite

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: phantom_power on November 10, 2017, 10:26:44 AM
If they are good I still love 'em. Thor 3 was a blast and really looking forward to Black Panther as well, and Avengers 3 & 4

Yeah, As long as I still enjoy them I'll still watch them and the MCU films are still entertaining me with the recent Spider-man Homecoming and especially Thor Ragnarok being absolute blasts.

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on November 10, 2017, 09:13:36 AM
Or have you yet? I was never really onboard at all to be honest. Didn't like the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy at all. First one bored me shitless, second one, I thought Heath Ledger was dreadful and didn't embody any established character trait of the Joker whatsoever, 3rd one was reasonable but an hour too long and hampered by Bale's laughable performance.

The Avengers - Christ, I honestly can't think of anything in all of cinema that has left me more baffled by its popularity. There's essentially no story. The performances are awful. Loathed Robert Downey Jr's smug and obnoxious Iron Man. Josh Whedon's 'snappy' dialogue was deeply irritating and unfunny.

I watched both Guardians of The Galaxy films. OK at best. But 'not as bad as...' doesn't equate to good.

I can't believe this is what puts bums in seats now. Adult bums. People in their 20s to 40s getting hyped up for Iron Man 7 or whatever the hell. And I say this as a man in his 30s who reads comic books. The quality of scriptwriting and acting is just so poor. The only comic based film I've enjoyed in the last 10 years was Dredd, I think. Go figure it never got a sequel.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and are free to like or dislike what they want, however I find some of the OP arguments baffling. Avengers - no story? There is obviously a very clear story. Bad acting? Well no, that's not right at all is it. Smug and obnoxious Iron Man? Well the character is supposed to be like that so the acting can't be all that bad. It sounds like you aren't going to like any of the films whatever, shouldn't there be a point where you just realise it isn't the genre for you and move onto something else?

They're simply a medium to tell their fantastical stories, same as comics. Nobody has to watch them if they don't want, there are also non-superhero films being released, but there's no need to begrudge anyone of any age something that brings them enjoyment because it's not to your taste.

Wet Blanket

I liked the 90s ones which were still stand-alone stories and reasonably idiosyncratic, especially Tim Burton's Batman films and Sam Raimi's Spidermans.

The modern ones are probably closer to actual comic-books in the way they never end properly and you have to watch other ones to know exactly what's going on. Although I did like American comics as a kid I've long since grown out of them and find the films a bit childish... although at the other end of the spectrum I think it's interesting how comic book films are starting to evolve in the same pattern as the comics did in the 80s and 90s, with gloomy and tiresomely gory spin-offs that are supposedly more adult.

Every so often I'll give one another go, if it gets good reviews. I wasn't mad keen on Logan, and couldn't get more than 15 minutes into Guardians of the Galaxy. Lots of people are telling me the new Thor film is really good, but I'll probably skip it at the cinema.

Malcy

I fucking DETEST them. Constantly on, constantly trailed, talked about etc. Fuck off and watch something that someone has put a bit of effort into. Fucking hate them and the trailers saying they come out on eg November 3. It's November the 3RD you fucking reprobate cunt. Marvel needs to fuck off. People gushing and obsessing over Guardians Of The Galaxy nearly made me slit my wrists. Fuck up and watch some real films...

Spiteface

Guardians of the Galaxy, and the impact it's clearly had on Marvel's subsequent offerings.

I was watching Thor Ragnarok and I saw SHIT HAPPEN (was gonna be spoilery but decided against it), and they made it impossible for me to care. Nothing has any weight to it anymore. They could kill half of the Avengers next year, and in the next breath remove any impact it may have had. The comedy and jokey one-liners are too fucking much.

Also, Marvel has had the side-effect of making other studios think they need to build a franchise/"Cinematic Universe" rather than, y'know, actually trying to make fucking good films in the first place.

The best thing that happened to me in recent years was seeing Pacific Rim, which led me back to Power Rangers, then onto Super Sentai and tokusatsu in general.

The Avengers won't be drumming a giant crab to death next year. Kamen Rider did.

Replies From View

I never grew into comic book movies in the first place.  Not sure why.  As far as I can tell all the footage I have ever seen of people being taken away to comic book movies are under duress and hating it.

Kelvin

Got bored with the Marvel films ages ago. They're all the same tone and style, no matter how much people try and tell me one's a thriller, one's a heist film, or whatever. Ultimately they all feel near identical; shallow, quippy, "good enough" fun, which is okay to a point, but exhausting after 20 films, or whatever it is now. Exceptions are Captain America and the Avengers films, for various reasons.

DC are a car crash, really. I still think BvS is an interesting curate's egg of a film, and not without merits, but the overall shared universe feels directionless, reactionary and confused. I only keep going to the films because I love the DC characters so much and want to see them on the big screen. I can't imagine I'll bother with many of the sequels beyond Batman and Superman at this stage, though.   

Of the big three, I still think Fox and the X-Men are leagues ahead of the other two, in terms of producing relatively interesting, ambitious films. Days of Future Past and Logan are better than any Marvel or DCEU films imo, and I'll keep going to their films so long as the hit/failure ratio remains roughly where it is at the moment. I'll be gutted if the rumoured sale of Fox to Disney actually happens. Planet of The Apes and X-Men would almost certainly suffer from that move. Disney would never make a film with the tone of Logan, even putting aside the 18 rating.   

Dex Sawash

Howj Begg

Thomas

I saw Wonder Woman in the cinema. Thought it was good.

I'm not bothered about catching up with the rest, though, either in the Marvel canon or DC's mess - just not fussed about yer superheroes and yer supervillains - but oddly I do enjoy reading the threads about them on here.

DC's entertaining situation, as I've gleaned it: they've tried to follow Marvel's example of building a cinematic universe, but with only two or three stepping stones before the big rushed compilation film, instead of the gradual buildup that led successfully to The Avengers. Actual Iconic Main Character Batman is yet to have his own film, having being thrown straight into two critically panned episodes; Gritty Superman is grossly underwhelming the audience; the Joker has a tattoo that says 'damaged' on his forehead; Mermaid Man and Flashpoint or whoever are just showing up for the Justice League compilation, with - like Batman before them - no major development for themselves beforehand; the whole vibe is displeasingly morbid, so they're quickly pasting in quips and jokes in an attempt at reconstructive levity, and now the studio is also working on a sideline of character films with no connection to the main extended universe. Is that right? A standalone Joker origin story?

Bloody mess. Give up and don't try again.

Dr Rock

Old Nehamkin

I think the last ones I really liked were Spiderman 2 and The Incredibles. I see one of the Marvel ones now and then and they're alright but they feel like getting a McDonald's. The only DC one I've seen was Suicide Squad and it was just, so shit.

shh

It can't have too much life left in it, surely. How long did the post-LOTR fantasy fad last? (Golden Compass, Eragon, Narnia ...).

I had to endure a trailer's worth of this dross in the cinema recently - not one element of it remains with me apart from there being an interview with the actors at the end, each with an exegesis of their own character's pubescent wish-fulfilment powers, and then telling me to buy a ticket NOW.

Dr Rock

Quote from: shh on November 11, 2017, 12:39:22 PM
It can't have too much life left in it, surely.

I remember people saying that on AICN over a decade ago.

Shit Good Nose

I used to judge each one on its own merits, but since I saw Guardians 2 (and I've expressed my thoughts on that plenty of times in other threads) I now have a huge amount of hate built up in me.

kidsick5000

Marvel always surprise me. I really did not expect to enjoy Thor so much.

But I found the latest Spider-Man so-so but that's okay. I'm not expecting them to be mind-blowing, just have people dedicated to the craft.

Aside from Batman, DC's cluelessness, nerves  and second-guessing is so evident.
If Man Of Steel had been the film of the trailer, it could have been something special.
But they set themselves on this course of 'non-more grim' even when it was clear things that was the style had died off in the 2000s.

NoSleep

newbridge

The problem is they are all essentially invincible so what is the point of any of it? There do not seem to be any consistent rules for what their powers are.

I still like most of the Marvel movies I see though. The new Spiderman was very good.

Sebastian Cobb

Batman Begins was alright. Never got round to watching the other two.

Sin Agog

Quote from: newbridge on November 11, 2017, 06:33:31 PM
The problem is they are all essentially invincible so what is the point of any of it? There do not seem to be any consistent rules for what their powers are.

There is a pointlessness to the big fight scenes I find hard to put out of my mind.  They all consist of one dude (or wonder dudette) losing for a bit, then suddenly mustering up enough XP from damage taken to go up a level and trounce their opponent.  Maybe I'm just not into 'fights' as much as I used to.  I should rewatch Iron Monkey or They Live or a Shaw Bros movie and find out.  I bet I do still like them, just so long as they're not happening just 'cause it's that time of the movie.

All the Marvels I've seen have been about as emotionally mature as...iunno The Banana Splits, but I have enjoyed some of the sprightlier recent outings.  I do get the disquieting feeling sometimes though that I'm watching the world through the prism of an adolescent boy who wishes women and the wider world could be as uncomplicated as they are in golden age comics.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm not sick of them by any means, but I have had a feeling of diminishing returns with the Marvel ones for the last few years. I think the series peaked in 2014 with Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. The ones since have been reliably entertaining but, with the exception of Civil War, haven't really stuck with me.

That said, I saw Suicide Squad and X-Men Apocalypse at the cinema last year (against my better judgement in the case of the former) and I'll take any number of 'boringly safe' MCU flicks over that sort of tripe any day. I haven't seen Batman V Superman and I doubt I'll see Just-arse League - despite what you may have heard, it's actually remarkably easy to avoid these films if you want.

Dr Syntax Head

I think Suicide Squad might be the worst film I've ever seen

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 12, 2017, 04:07:27 PM
I'm not sick of them by any means, but I have had a feeling of diminishing returns with the Marvel ones for the last few years. I think the series peaked in 2014 with Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. The ones since have been reliably entertaining but, with the exception of Civil War, haven't really stuck with me..

That said, I saw Suicide Squad and X-Men Apocalypse at the cinema last year (against my better judgement in the case of the former) and I'll take any number of 'boringly safe' MCU flicks over that sort of tripe any day. I haven't seen Batman V Superman and I doubt I'll see Just-arse League - despite what you may have heard, it's actually remarkably easy to avoid these films if you want.

Prior to that point I was getting rather sick of them but honestly I felt those films represented them finding a bit more of an individual style in either the Russo's more down to earth high drama and the Flash Gordon style larger than like cosmic stories. Ultron felt like it was lagging behind with the old style but Civil War, the Guardians sequel(albeit a bit less focused) and the recent Thor have all been highly entertaining.

As far as DC goes I'm not seeing it being about tone so much as the film just being shit full of underwought characters and plots desperately trying to play catchup.

Dr Rock

Like the original superhero comics, they are mostly supposed to be wacky, colourful escapist fun. Some definitely fail on that last count, but if you don't like films that are wacky escapist colourful fun, superhero movies aren't going to do it for you very much.

kidsick5000

They really have to come up with a different third act.
Too many have resorted to colossal beams of light and CGI lightshow overloads.
I liked that Age Of Ultron finale was more about rescuing people than just fighting the bad guy, same with Thor:Ragnarok, but generally, it's just too much boom blast bing and bong

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on November 12, 2017, 04:14:32 PM
I think Suicide Squad might be the worst film I've ever seen

I'd agree with that. Don't mind a crap film as long as it's enjoyable enough to distract the brain, but this is a special kind of dire. Really did seem to be made by people who'd never seen a film before